• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Zalasta

RbBrdMan said:
GAF I think I fucked up.

I didn't take the same route to get where you are at, but did you try visiting either
the shop or the house at the end of the road (both are located in dust town)
?

RbBrdMan said:
GAF I think I fucked up.

Spoiler post:
So I made it to the dwarf town. First off let me say that I went to dust town first before any quests. While there I ran into a shady character that wanted me to do some stuff for gold. I told him to buzz off so he is now gone. Orzammar needs a king and I'm attempting to give them one. I've fought in the proving. I took the side of Harrowmount. When I was done with the proving Harrowmount asked me to take down the crime syndicate. I went back to dust town and the thugs I mentioned earlier are still gone. I've talked to everyone and can't for the life of me figure out how to get 'underground' to take out the boss lady.

Please tell me I'm not stuck. I've dumped almost 30 hours into this now. I won't have the patience to go back and start over. Also I'm playing on PC so I'm not opposed to using console commands to get this quest over with but I don't know if their is a console command to do that.

Thanks for any help guys.

I believe you have to ask around for her in dust town and then enter the hovel where you will be jumped by her thugs and you go from there.
At least that's how I did it.

Zaptruder

Banned
I hate the thread title... I keep clicking on it thinking that someone is making a Baldur's II remake mod for Dragon's Age!

Oh dyslexic skim reading, you lovable cad.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Zalasta said:
I didn't take the same route to get where you are at, but did you try visiting either
the shop or the house at the end of the road (both are located in dust town)
?

I visited the shop and
some how got into a fight with the owner and now he is dead
. I don't remember the house so I will give that a shot.

Addressing the other helpful post. Are you sure the
thugs that jump me aren't the thugs I've already run off upon first entering dust town?

Zalasta

RbBrdMan said:
Addressing the other helpful post. Are you sure the
thugs that jump me aren't the thugs I've already run off upon first entering dust town?

Assuming the thugs you were referring to had a quest symbol and was trying to get you to smuggle lyrium to the mage circle, then no. They are completely unrelated. Only thing I can suggest is make sure you talk to everyone (again if necessary). It's been a while but I remember
being ambushed by a bunch of guys while visiting my home (I played dwarf commoner and the house was the last one in dust town) who then gave up the location to the underground lair. There was a dialogue option with the shop owner but I don't know if he's an actual trigger for the event

Number 2 said:
Thats hilarious. There is a certain something about armchair Henry Higgins getting owned :lol
:lol
I actually like Allister a lot more than most male Bioware companion characters

Wow that just made me think of how much different Allister must be if you're a dwarven male instead of a cute elven girl like my character

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Lafiel said:
I'm surprised some of you find this hard, the romance in this game is so so easy, as easy as ME was. BG2 had far more challenge in that department.

I feel like I'm trying harder in this game than I do in real life!

The Lilliana tip was a good one above, I think I may have messed up Morrigan for now since I picked too many 'why are you here?' dialogue options (thinking they were positive). Bah.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
SenorDingDong said:
I believe you have to ask around for her in dust town and then enter the hovel where you will be jumped by her thugs and you go from there.
At least that's how I did it.
Dust Town/Orzamar Q:
That's funny, I went to Orzamar and now it almost seems like there's nothing to do. I went to the palace, the council, and harrowmont's and just haven't found anything. I guess I could go back and check more closely since I just hurried out and finished a couple other storylines in the meantime. fwiw though, I also went to dust town before the proving, and killed some goons who jumped me, then killed the lyrium smuggler guy, and wrapped up the baby storyline. hm. thankfully it's dragon age so i'm not exactly wanting for ways to get quests, for now....

Huh, I did this and he still joined me. He got back up like nothing happened and away we went.
That's funny, I killed him straight away (first option) and he didn't come back. Been at least five hours since so I'm pretty sure he's gone for good.

Nother obversation (Dalish Elves storyline):
I found it weird that I got the "sided with the Elves" achievement. I was with the Werewolves all the way, not in the sense of attacking Zathrian straight away, but I told him either he cures the curse or I'll make him. And ultimately I had to and the humans turned back. Not sure how this counts as siding with the Elves. I don't like Elves (see above) and I want my opinion of them properly reflected in the record!

John Harker

Anyway, what's the most efficient way to play as Arcane Warrior? Just pump into magic and constitution?

I just unlocked it and I keep dying, I feel like my magic doesn't do as much damage as it used to if that makes sense... plus since I have a sword/shield equipped, it takes longer to get spells out since he has to sheathe them both before firing so enemies have a chance to swarm me before they get blasted, hmmm

Philthy

Takuhi said:
Ah. Thanks for the comments... I guess I haven't seen much of the dungeons yet. Can't say I'm looking forward to them much now!

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm about 20 hours in and I have loved every single dungeon so far. Some are long, yes, but they toss enough variety into them that it makes it really fun regardless. Also, I've found that there are decent weapons and armor within them, you just need to look harder, do the side quests to get them. It's a lot like Baulders Gate before the expansions. The good loot is there, you just need to really look for it.

Takuhi said:
The difficulty balance is pretty borked, but that's a small price to pay for the open nature of the game, I think. At least you can change the difficulty on the fly. I'd be a lot more pissed otherwise.

I've found with Normal, that I had some really challenging fights, but nothing over the top. I died maybe five times to the first big boss, and a few times to other mistakes. I've also made it past quite a few just barely. I feel the difficulty has been perfect.

BeeDog

I'm annoyed that the 'only' party banter that I had the "pleasure" of listening to was by Wynne. UGH, how boring can that old hag be? Thankfully, I got some Shale and/with Alistair dialogues once or twice.

Doc Evils

BeeDog said:
I'm annoyed that the 'only' party banter that I had the "pleasure" of listening to was by Wynne. UGH, how boring can that old hag be? Thankfully, I got some Shale and/with Alistair dialogues once or twice.

I got a lot of banter when I was using Alistair, Shale & Morrigan. perfect group to have.

Dedalus

John Harker said:
Anyway, what's the most efficient way to play as Arcane Warrior? Just pump into magic and constitution?

I just unlocked it and I keep dying, I feel like my magic doesn't do as much damage as it used to if that makes sense... plus since I have a sword/shield equipped, it takes longer to get spells out since he has to sheathe them both before firing so enemies have a chance to swarm me before they get blasted, hmmm
It depends how you want to play. If you want to be mainly melee then aim to put points into dexterity (to avoid the constant miss, miss, miss, miss, etc.), magic and willpower. I would only go into constitution if you were thinking about becoming a blood mage too. I've found the Arcane Shield that you can get as an arcane warrior is pretty solid, and the best way to keep it up is to make sure you have enough willpower to keep it juiced up.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
AstroLad said:
I found it weird that I got the "sided with the Elves" achievement. I was with the Werewolves all the way, not in the sense of attacking Zathrian straight away, but I told him either he cures the curse or I'll make him. And ultimately I had to and the humans turned back. Not sure how this counts as siding with the Elves. I don't like Elves (see above) and I want my opinion of them properly reflected in the record!

Well...

I made the same decision to force Zathrian to cure the curse which ends up killing him and the tree chick. It kinda makes sense in that the elves get to live and don't have to fight/get turned into werewolves anymore.

If you want to side with the Werewolves, you can persuade the tree chick to basically seek revenge on all the Dalish elves that cursed them >:). I believe that gets you a werewolf army at the end of the game.

Doytch

AstroLad said:
Dust Town/Orzamar Q:
That's funny, I went to Orzamar and now it almost seems like there's nothing to do. I went to the palace, the council, and harrowmont's and just haven't found anything. I guess I could go back and check more closely since I just hurried out and finished a couple other storylines in the meantime. fwiw though, I also went to dust town before the proving, and killed some goons who jumped me, then killed the lyrium smuggler guy, and wrapped up the baby storyline. hm. thankfully it's dragon age so i'm not exactly wanting for ways to get quests, for now....

Ohhh man. That lyrium smuggler gets you money. I didn't have the money first time around, and he left, so I reverted and waited it out. Best black-market dealing I've ever had in a game. Especially with cranked Persuasion. :D

Zengar

Doytch said:
Ohhh man. That lyrium smuggler gets you money. I didn't have the money first time around, and he left, so I reverted and waited it out. Best black-market dealing I've ever had in a game. Especially with cranked Persuasion. :D

Oh yeah, that was great.
Bought the lyrium at 40 Gold, sold for 65 gold and a dagger. Blackmailed the buyer to get another 8 gold. Return to the seller to get another 25 gold. :lol

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
AstroLad said:
Dust Town/Orzamar Q:

That's funny, I killed him straight away (first option) and he didn't come back. Been at least five hours since so I'm pretty sure he's gone for good.

Dalish Elf Storyline:
You only side with the werewolves if you convince them to slaughter all of the untainted elves at the Dalish camp. You have to respond something like "I have a better idea, kill them all." during your first conversation with the Lady of the Forest and you need to have Coercion III to succeed in convincing them.

iam220

Zengar said:
Oh yeah, that was great.
Bought the lyrium at 40 Gold, sold for 65 gold and a dagger. Blackmailed the buyer to get another 8 gold. Return to the seller to get another 25 gold. :lol

I didn't have 50 gold on me, on my persuasion was non-existent, so I just killed him and there was 20 gold on his body

John Harker

Pankaks said:
Well...

I made the same decision to force Zathrian to cure the curse which ends up killing him and the tree chick. It kinda makes sense in that the elves get to live and don't have to fight/get turned into werewolves anymore.

If you want to side with the Werewolves, you can persuade the tree chick to basically seek revenge on all the Dalish elves that cursed them >:). I believe that gets you a werewolf army at the end of the game.

I actually wanted to ask the same thing: netting on the side of the elves achievment was weird to me too since
I had to kill their leader and turn the werewolves back to humans

That was more or less what I wanted, so it's fine, but if what you say is true
having a werewolf army at the end seems way cooler!

Also, any way to get the whats-her-face dalish elf girl who is the new keeper to trust you again? I tried to open the chest that's behind her twice now and it pretty much pissed her off. I wanna know what's inside tho

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Killthee said:
Dalish Elf Storyline:
You only side with the werewolves if you convince them to slaughter all of the untainted elves at the Dalish camp. You have to respond something like "I have a better idea, kill them all." during your first conversation with the Lady of the Forest and you need to have Coercion III to succeed in convincing them.
Yes, it's sort of a win-win in the end there though. And the ultimate fight was against Zathrian because you're forcing him to do something he doesn't want to do. If you go this route you should be given both humans and elves to help you fight the darkspawn. Lousy ungrateful humans.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
MirageDwarf said:
One thing I noticed is small bridges in towns are triggers for party banters.

Now that I think about it, most of the banter scenes I had, have been over bridges. Good find.

Doytch said:
Mine left too :(
and I wanted to do the deal!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hm maybe, but I almost always choose that and I could swear most of the time the people are just like "great, thanks!"

Drek

AstroLad said:
Is there any benefit to not choosing the "hey, where the fuck's my reward?" option after completing quests?
Some characters will like you more.

That is the big constant impact the choices you make have in the game. Some characters like it if you're a douche, some want you to be captain chivalrous all the time.

That does matter some as characters get bonuses for higher disposition towards you.

*edit* And yes, what you get as a reward will vary depending on your dialog. You can turn down rewards at various points and you can try to extort more at others.

Mashing

Regarding the Asunder quest:
Okay, so I gather all three body parts, brought them to the altar and quicksaved my game. I selected "reward" and he gave me 25g and disappeared. I reloaded my quicksave and this time I killed the fade spirit. However, I got no loot off him and no other reward, but the quest was listed as completed in my Journal. I mean it seem really lame to give evil characters 25g and good characters nothing for doing the right thing and killing this beast
. With spoiling anything, is there something I'm missing. Will something happen later in the game?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Drek said:
Some characters will like you more.

That is the big constant impact the choices you make have in the game. Some characters like it if you're a douche, some want you to be captain chivalrous all the time.

That does matter some as characters get bonuses for higher disposition towards you.
Oh you mean my own party members? Or just other people in the game? Damn, I am getting screwed if it's the former because I almost never see +x after saying "oh no my dear, I wouldn't possibly accept some fucking gloves after killing 100 monsters for you." Should be +10 to everyone except Morrigan (-20).

MirageDwarf said:
One thing I noticed is small bridges in towns are triggers for party banters.

Also go into the back rooms of the gnawed noble tavern (where the
guy that gives you assassination missions is
) and it will usually trigger banter.

AstroLad said:
Oh you mean my own party members? Or just other people in the game? Damn, I am getting screwed if it's the former because I almost never see +x after saying "oh no my dear, I wouldn't possibly accept some fucking gloves after killing 100 monsters for you." Should be +10 to everyone except Morrigan (-20).

Protip: Oghren likes you more if you fuck people!

Mashing

The bridge in Orzammar triggers a conversation every single time yuo pass over the middle of it. Which I've done quite a bit, and it seems there are A LOT of party banter skits as I've never heard one repeat yet.

Woo-Fu

Banned
AstroLad said:
Is there any benefit to not choosing the "hey, where the fuck's my reward?" option after completing quests?

Leliana doesn't like it when you take advantage of people.

The one time I can remember for sure is the green sword family heirloom. You keep that sword and you'll lose some points from Leliana at the end of the discussion.

vareon

I can't seem to find the recipe for Health Poultice and I'm running out of potions to buy. Can anyone help? I'm not taking Wynne in my party, btw.

ethelred said:
But... that's Steve Valentine's actual accent. And he is British.

pretty much, the only dude that sounds assy is king cailan.

Game needs more lancashire accents though...like mine.

"Eet ain't 'alf grim up nooorth"

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Woo-Fu said:
Leliana doesn't like it when you take advantage of people.

The one time I can remember for sure is the green sword family heirloom. You keep that sword and you'll lose some points from Leliana at the end of the discussion.
Do the people have to be in your actual four-person party for that stuff to matter though? I roll with Wynne/Dog/Morrigan

nm answered below!

Drek

AstroLad said:
Yes, your own party members.

They need to be in the party for it to happen. If someone speaks up during dialog chances are they'll have some kind of adjustment. Sometimes its kind of weird what each one of them likes and dislikes.

Here's a few examples from Redcliffe:
When you first talk with Bana Teagan you can offer to help. When you do that Sten and Morrigan will make comments. Sten says this is getting in the way of killing the darkspawn, but if your coercion is high enough you can persuade him to be amenable to helping. This will give him a +2. Morrigan just expresses some displeasure with it. She's a -2 no matter what. I'm no sure but I believe Alistair and Leliana will both also get a +2 if you offer to help.

Later in town you can find Berwick in the inn. If you go through the dialog and find out why he's there you get to chose what to do with him. If you make him help defend the town Sten gets a +2 and comments that he finds your choice of punishment appropriate.

When you talk to the smithy and he wants you to promise you'll save his daughter you'll get a -5 with both Sten and Morrigan, who both comment negatively on making a promise.

If you help the knights get Maker medallions from Mother Hannah Leliana will have a -5 reaction because "faith should come from within".

If you help the young woman inside the Chantry find her little brother you'll get a +1 for Leliana just by saying you'll help, then a bigger plus (+5 I think) when you finish. If in the course of that short quest you get their family sword you can either take it as the quest reward (no money to the woman) at which point Sten speaks up and gives 1 gold sovereign to her and you get a -2. If you give 5 gold sovereigns he says nothing and you get no plus. If you give the 1 gold sovereign before he speaks up he'll commend you and you'll get a +2 with him. If you fish for the kiss from the girl you'll lose the big plus from Leliana and instead get a matching negative, with a comment about you being rather uncouth.

That is just a single snippet of what you can get for reactions within a town.

Drek

vareon said:
I can't seem to find the recipe for Health Poultice and I'm running out of potions to buy. Can anyone help? I'm not taking Wynne in my party, btw.
If I recall I bought the Health Poultice recipe (not lesser health) from the trader just inside the Mage's tower. If not there then it was at the tavern in Redcliffe, I just got it and those are the last two merchants I've talked with.

AstroLad said:
Do the people have to be in your actual four-person party for that stuff to matter though? I roll with Wynne/Dog/Morrigan

nm answered below!

For the most part, but there are a few events where certain party members can get pissed at you if they're not in your active party. Example:
Wynne will leave if you put blood in the ashes if she's not in your party when you do it. I think if she's actually with you she'll attack you.

taylor910

I feel like I just choose random shit when I level up. Any help?

I am an Elven Mage. Level 11-12.

I put most of my points in Magic, some in Willpower. But the other two categories you level I just choose what I think looks cool-

Thanks a bunch!

Kingpen

I still have this in plastic... I'm not the biggest RPG guy around, but have played some. I am really drawn to the theme in this game (I love fantasy, LOTR, medieval, etc).

I also did play KOTOR on the xbox and did like it back in the day. I am primarily a 1p guy (no xbox live), but I don't really care if this game was 12 hours or 60.

However, I'm getting cold feet on this due to impressions of how the 360 port is really not that good. I think most of these are based on the graphics not being as good as the PC version, or even compared to something such as Mass Effect. I've also seen stuff related to control issues...

I'm getting ready to offload this for credit to pick up another recently released game... Am I making a big mistake? I don't have any means to play this on PC or ps3

Is there any use for precious gems, like diamonds and rubies later on? Or should I just sell them?

What about random items like a silver bowl/cup?

They keep taking up space but im wary of selling them

Mindlog

ShadowPampers said:
Is there any use for precious gems, like diamonds and rubies later on? Or should I just sell them?

What about random items like a silver bowl/cup?

They keep taking up space but im wary of selling them

10 Garnet stones will be needed on a quest. They're about as abundant as gall bladders so save them if you want to do that quest line later.

Cheap stones will be asked for, but I think they just give a tiny bit of XP. I'd rather have the sovereigns and inventory space.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mindlog said:
10 Garnet stones will be needed on a quest. They're about as abundant as gall bladders so save them if you want to do that quest line later.

Cheap stones will be asked for, but I think they just give a tiny bit of XP. I'd rather have the sovereigns and inventory space.
agreed. can you rebuy stuff you've sold too (obviously losing money in the exchange)?

Top Bottom