• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

AlphaSnake said:
PS3 guys...has anyone figured out how to change the camera angle? When Bioware was showing off the game, they showed me how you're able to switch between the standard 3rd person camera, to a traditional isometric view. Alas, I see no option to do that anymore...

Third person camera only for consoles baby!

temp

posting on contract only
Justinian said:
A pretty awful review.

You know something is amiss when the reviewer barely mentions all the strengths others have been raving about, while focusing on everything he didn't think was impressive enough.

Maybe it was the bad taste in his mouth after playing on console.
:lol Didn't see it coming, then BAM!

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Justinian said:
Maybe it was the bad taste in his mouth after playing on console.

Again, his complaints had nothing to do with being the console version. Basically, it was too Olde Schoole for his very refined tastes.

And seriously, he knocked the game AND Bioware for stealing from EA's LOTR games. At this point, if this is not grounds for a mental retardation diagnostic, I don't know what is.

Himuro said:
Maybe he would have liked it more if the original makers of Baldur's Gate, Black Isle, made Dragon Age instead of these imposter's at BioWare. Dragon Age isn't a worthy successor to BG confirmed, close thread, cancel pre-orders.
I am un-preloading as we speak.

TheCardPlayer

Himuro said:
Maybe he would have liked it more if the original makers of Baldur's Gate, Black Isle, made Dragon Age instead of these imposter's at BioWare. Dragon Age isn't a worthy successor to BG confirmed, close thread, cancel pre-orders.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Actually it was Interplay too!

Zefah said:
Also, what about Mass Effect worked better on the 360? I played through it twice on the 360 when it first launched and it was pretty janky with a poor framerate and awful pop-in. I later played through it two more times on the PC and I can't think of anything that was worse than the console version.

Ran more or less fine, not exactly a performance darling, but the controls were well done. Just hate getting PC games where the UI is still 360 focused (some even keep the 360 button art, or play better using a controller). Didn't get to try Mass Effect PC though, just speaking in general terms.

Good to know Dragon Age has a PC focus to it.

Justinian

Fredescu said:
Eh? You can switch between characters with RB/LB/L1/R1. There is no reason I can think of that it would benefit the PC version more than the console versions.

Err... what about positioning multiple characters, flanking with multiple characters, being able to react to adds and incoming threats without leaving the rest of your party behind to fend for themselves?

It would just be so disorientating and unintuitive doing these things on console. Bottom line. When you are jumping around from character POV continually and toggling targets with dpad while bringing up multiple radial menus, does it matter that it's "possible" to do something when it's so painful? The same commands could probably be done with a few mouse clicks allowing you to enjoy the combat rather than fighting it.

Fredescu

Himuro said:
The benefit of isometric view is being able to see the action from a further angle, allowing you to make rapid decisions depending on the situation, not changing characters. Honestly, I can't imagine doing isometric view without a mouse and kb, because the whole point is to be able to click everything rapidly at that angle.
I agree it would be slower, but when playing with a gamepad that comes with the territory. I'm sure you could get fairly adept at switching characters and targets, and since you're often doing it while paused speed isn't such an issue. There's no reason inherent to a gamepad to remove isometric view and balance encounters to have fewer enemies at once. I'll bet they were disappointed when they discovered the consoles lacked the horsepower to implement that. I wonder if that was the reason for the delay.

Justinian said:
Err... what about positioning multiple characters, flanking with multiple characters, being able to react to adds and incoming threats without leaving the rest of your party behind to fend for themselves?
Why do you think any of that would have been impossible on consoles?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Justinian said:

You can still do this with a controller. You can pause the game, you know.

Fredescu said:
Why do you think any of that would have been impossible on consoles?

Mouse control is the crutch of lesser gamers!

I can't believe they actually made the difficulties different though. Is Hard the highest on consoles?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Justinian said:
It would just be so disorientating and unintuitive doing these things on console. Bottom line. When you are jumping around from character POV continually and toggling targets with dpad while bringing up multiple radial menus, does it matter that it's "possible" to do something when it's so painful? The same commands could probably be done with a few mouse clicks allowing you to enjoy the combat rather than fighting it.
Hey if it doesn't bother me, a guy who bangs his metal pot when heralding PC and handheld gaming, I don't see why it should bother the normal console gamer.

Fredescu

Crazymoogle said:
Just hate getting PC games where the UI is still 360 focused (some even keep the 360 button art, or play better using a controller). Didn't get to try Mass Effect PC though, just speaking in general terms.
Don't play Borderlands on PC then. Lead platform my ass. Although it sounds like it had issues on every platform. The interface in Mass Effect PC was decent enough.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I didn't see any framerate issues in the PS3 gameplay video that was posted on Gametrailers (the early spider dungeon). How bad are the frame issues?

Truant

Every aspect of that AU review could have been gathered from pre-release videos. This guy shouldn't really be doing reviews.

There is alot of PC vs. console arguments in here.

Console people the PC version will be superior. The PC is a far more powerful gaming machine, it can be custom built.

Console people smile as you watch some PC gamers suffer from massive technical issues and ask advice about manually modifing various files and settings and actually spending time on the phone with Tech Support to try to get the game to work...at all.

You will be playing the game in a slightly lesser form while some poor random Gaffer is still getting hard freezes when he boots up the game, three fucking days after release.

Technical issues are the PC gamers only gamble, my gaming time is to short and valuable to even consider the deeper experience PC offers, I don't have the patience.

TheCardPlayer

Himuro said:
And how does a party conversing while traveling have anything to do with LOTR? :lol

How did this review get published?

But dude! People talked in LOTR! Bioware obviously stole from it.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Dude doesn't even know the difference between a developer and a publisher, and he's getting paid for writing dumbass shit like this. Where's the justice in that?

Enigma777

Banned
It amazes me that IGN AU (or UK for that matter) still exists... It's not like anyone cares for their opinions and I've yet to see a review come out from them that wasn't a steaming pile of ****.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anerythristic said:
There is alot of PC vs. console arguments in here.

Console people the PC version will be superior. The PC is a far more powerful gaming machine, it can be custom built.

Console people smile as you watch some PC gamers suffer from massive technical issues and ask advice about manually modifing various files and settings and actually spending time on the phone with Tech Support to try to get the game to work...at all.

You will be playing the game in a slightly lesser form while some poor random Gaffer is still getting hard freezes when he boots up the game, three fucking days after release.

Technical issues are the PC gamers only gamble, my gaming time is to short and valuable to even consider the deeper experience PC offers, I don't have the patience.

Whoa whoa... spending time on the phone with tech support?

The only recent game that I can think of that had crazy technical problems is Borderlands' private matches being extremely difficult to get running.

If you have decent hardware and are running Windows XP or better, most modern games just work. I'm not going to deny the existence of technical problems arising on the PC platform, but more often than not games will work just fine assuming you have the proper hardware.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
Ran more or less fine, not exactly a performance darling, but the controls were well done. Just hate getting PC games where the UI is still 360 focused (some even keep the 360 button art, or play better using a controller). Didn't get to try Mass Effect PC though, just speaking in general terms.

360 controller support is/was? a requirement for GFW branding at one point in time I believe. That is why you'll see 360 controller button art and presets.

If they play better with a controller then it can just as easily be due to the type of game it is as any sort of console overlap. Is there anybody out there who thinks Devil May Cry should control better with a keyboard than it does with controller?

Zefah said:
Whoa whoa... spending time on the phone with tech support?

The only recent game that I can think of that had crazy technical problems is Borderlands' private matches being extremely difficult to get running.

If you have decent hardware and are running Windows XP or better, most modern games just work. I'm not going to deny the existence of technical problems arising on the PC platform, but more often than not games will work just fine assuming you have the proper hardware.

It might not even be your fault. It might be the devs issues. A good example is Borderlands on PC, check out GAFs own thread. For at least a couple of days after release it was post after post about the game not working.

Alot of people were talking back and forth about the console vs. pc experience. The way I see it some random technical issue on the PC is the only advantage the console has.

That is literally why I mainly game on consoles, I dread the hard to solve technical issue.

bathala

Banned
the origins r great.

So far I finished the Noble Human and Elf Mage.

I wonder if u can "romance" if ur a dwarf or female.

Rad-

Another 360 version review:

Burn360:

In reviewing Dragon Age Origins, I found myself really thrown into the plot. The characters, the story, it all comes together to make a great game. It’s one of those games where you weigh the costs of putting down the controller for a few hours. With each new quest being a new and exciting piece to the overall puzzle that is the game. Dragon Age Origins is set to deliver a great deal of gameplay to the player. With the story so open ended and dependant on the actions and class of your character I see myself playing this at least once more. While the game is not perfect in many areas, the total package is engrossing and fun. Though, I would have loved to tackle this with a friend Dragon Age is my new Oblivion and one that I am sure will continue to entertain in this age of Downloadable Content. For the RPG fan this is your GOTY to all others it may be the one that gets you hooked.

Final Verdict 4.5/5

The Good:
The Story will Hook you From Start to Finish independent of what character you select.
Great Voice acting really brings the story to life.
Intuitive Controls plus options give the player freedom to play how they want.
Tons of Replay value

The Bad:
Some Camera angle issues
Sub par graphics at times
Inventory interface confusion

http://burn360.net/reviews/dragon-age-origins-quick-review/

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anerythristic said:
It might not even be your fault. It might be the devs issues. A good example is Borderlands on PC, check out GAFs own thread. For at least a couple of days after release it was post after post about the game not working.

Alot of people were talking back and forth about the console vs. pc experience. The way I see it some random technical issue on the PC is the only advantage the console has.

That is literally why I mainly game on consoles, I dread the hard to solve technical issue.

Outside of private matches the game works just fine. It's just that a lot of people had to mess with firewalls and port forwarding to get private matches to work. You could still start up a public match and join up with your friends without a problem, except you had to deal with random people joining your game.

This type of problem isn't very widespread among PC releases. Also, it isn't like technical problems do not exist on consoles. At least on the PC we can figure out fixes and workarounds without having to wait for some sanctioned patch to go through a week-long approval process.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Can't wait to play this tomorrow night. I'm gonna be a trooper and stick with the PS3 version. If it really does suck, I deserve it, I'll put on the dunce cap and take a nap on the nearest highway. I'm gonna be an Elf, btw probably rogue or knight.

WTF do they mean High Fantasy needs to take risks? As Himuro pointed out, Elves are treated like crap and they themselves degenerated into lunatic communities ("We are safe here, living in the ghetto in the middle of the city"). Same with Dwarves, it shows huge caste disparity among dwarven population. Try to find that in any high fantasy.

Da:O is more dark LotR, and that's perfectly fine with me. After all it's not like LotR is THE MOST INFLUENTIAL fantasy novel of all time sheeesh.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think it's important to illustrate one point that makes the IGN review complete shit: Dragon Age isn't High Fantasy.

I agree that the review read fairly negative but it still got a good score and a 9.0 in gameplay where it really matters. Cheer the fuck up people. You haven't even played the game yet.

All the pre release news devouring is only going to sour your views on the game as you are now going to be playing the game and looking for the flaws that were pointed out to you.

thetrin said:
I think it's important to illustrate one point that makes the IGN review complete shit: Dragon Age isn't High Fantasy.

To be fair, Bioware themselves tried to sell this game last year as "low fantasy" comparing it to the song of Ice and fire series.

That said, this is clearly high fantasy.

Truant

Gamer @ Heart said:
To be fair, Bioware themselves tried to sell this game last year as "low fantasy" comparing it to the song of Ice and fire series.

HEROIC DARK FANTASY

thetrin

Gamer @ Heart said:

I think it adheres to Bioware's claims that it is "dark fantasy", a different breed from what we're used to.

(lest someone think I'm serious, let me clear the air: the review is stupid, and Dragon Age doesn't look like fucking LOTR, end of story)

Truant said:
HEROIC DARK FANTASY

Exactly :|

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gamer @ Heart said:
I agree that the review read fairly negative but it still got a good score and a 9.0 in gameplay where it really matters. Cheer the fuck up people. You haven't even played the game yet.

All the pre release news devouring is only going to sour your views on the game as you are now going to be playing the game and looking for the flaws that were pointed out to you.

I don't think anyone gives a shit about the score or the guy's opinion honestly. It is more about annoyance that something so poorly written and full of factual errors and general ignorance can get published on a major website that is read by a lot of people.

No45

I logged in to Journeys this morning to try and finish up the achievements for my unlocks to find out that they're unlocked already. Good news, as I wasn't enjoying Journeys all that much.

Looking forward to hearing impressions on the game though.

Fredescu

Gamer @ Heart said:

You're not interpreting the comments against that review at all correctly.

Tubobutts

bathala said:
well back is inventory/stats. start is save/quit etc.

I looked at the option and didn't see anything

Can't you bring up a mass effect like wheel that pauses the game? I thought I saw that in a video.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure the information is readily available, but when exactly will this release on Steam? Midnight PST or something more like 12pm PST?

Tubobutts

Zefah said:
I'm sure the information is readily available, but when exactly will this release on Steam? Midnight PST or something more like 12pm PST?

Noon PST, 10 minutes after my last midterm which is awesome.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Tiamatsword22 said:
Noon PST, 10 minutes after my last midterm which is awesome.

Damn I was hoping for Midnight PST since that would be 5pm for me and I don't have work that day. Now I'll have to either wake up extra early on Wednesday or wait until I get home from work to put in a few hours. Decisions... decisions...

Truant

HK-47 said:
Dark in the sense that it mixes fantasy with horror, or dark in the sense that it is grim dark mature?

Has to be either one of those, because there are no black people in Ferelden.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Truant said:
Has to be either one of those, because there are no black people in Ferelden.

Well I ask because dark fantasy is horror and fantasy mixed. Not blood and guts grrr we are so grim and brooding fantasy.

Top Bottom