• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard | Progression Deep Dive | Parts 1-3

Luipadre

Gold Member
This video looks better than the IGN one, but i still dont like the gfx. Anyone else seeing that weird haze effect on the whole screen or just me?

Anyway here is a 10 min video with Rogue class

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Opened the video up to a random spot

BRXY6hg.jpeg

World of Warcraft, 2004

yoYB2Mz.jpeg

🤷‍♀️

The Saint

After seeing that post by the above user named Evil Lore, I retract my earlier statement in this topic. This game still looks trash. I had to post it here because it said that I ran out of time to edit my post.

What's with this color palette? It's the same Gen Z/Fortnite neon orange and purple as every other game in the last few years.

Dragon Age was originally conceived as dark fantasy. This is so far removed from the origins (no pun intended) of the series. Who do they think the audience is for this game?

Luipadre

Gold Member

BRXY6hg.jpeg

World of Warcraft, 2004

yoYB2Mz.jpeg

🤷‍♀️

Art style is pretty dull, but the youtube compression is destroying alot of fine details in this game. Im sure it will look much better running natively on monitor/tv in terms of details

BRXY6hg.jpeg

World of Warcraft, 2004

yoYB2Mz.jpeg

🤷‍♀️

This game is visually all over the place.

I hope it is because it needs a final polish.

We know that the game can be very moody and pretty but it feels like different places got vastly different budgets or something.

This screenshot of Treviso (a city in Antiva we'll be visiting) looks awesome for example:

7qPRKul.jpeg

Last edited:

Luipadre

Gold Member
What's with this color palette? It's the same Gen Z/Fortnite neon orange and purple as every other game in the last few years.

Dragon Age was originally conceived as dark fantasy. This is so far removed from the origins (no pun intended) of the series. Who do they think the audience is for this game?

Its definitely made for "modern audience" ;)

Its definitely made for "modern audience" ;)
Ah, yes. So the 250,000 followers they have on Twitter, that actually only results in 25,000 copies sold.

That's a bold move. Let's see how it works out for them.

Seriously though, I really wonder what's going on in Western game development. Is no one taking any time to do any market research, other than reading comments on Twitter?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

We know that the game can be very moody and pretty but it feels like different places got vastly different budgets or something.

This screenshot of Treviso (a city in Antiva we'll be visiting) looks awesome for example:

7qPRKul.jpeg
That does look nice, yeah.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Ah, yes. So the 250,000 followers they have on Twitter, that actually only results in 25,000 copies sold.

That's a bold move. Let's see how it works out for them.

Seriously though, I really wonder what's going on in Western game development. Is no one taking any time to do any market research, other than reading comments on Twitter?

I think this game will sell well. It might be decent enough too despite looking weird most of the time :D

Such a rollercoaster ride for me. Sometimes it looks decent enough, other times it looks absolute dogshit

Probably something to do with peoples destroyed attention spans in our age of technology overload. If it doesn't visually rape their attention, they keep scrollin!

AzekZero

I'm glad Bioware bit the bullet and are actually showing the meat of the game itself.

Unfortunately, I think there's enough good games to play this year that its probably going to miss my list.

Caldain

Neo Member
Lol I think it looks really good? But I guess I'm in the minority, I enjoyed the crap out of Inquisition and it looks an updated version of that game.

grumpyGamer

WTF did they do to the game, bot wanting to go on board of the hate wagon but, those colours and grafics are totally not the dragon age look.
For someone who loved origins, i am dissapointed

I don't know about you guys but Dragon Age doesn't deserve the hype for a series that only has 1 good game, This game will do around 1-2 million in launch month across all platforms and them launching on steam day 1 will be a self own like we saw with concord. I look forward to the CCU threads
Food Bae GIF

ElFenomeno

What the f is this embarrassing shit?
- You can find items via shops or in the world.
- You can equip a main , alternate, helmet and rings
Then she actually explains what the "Final damage +20" stat does because the fucking actual name isn't enough. No I just can't...
Wow incredible...this is revolutionary. A whole video for the most basic shit ever. Is their audience 10 year olds who never played an action RPG before because it certainly seems like it is.

Last edited:

ZehDon

7qPRKul.jpeg
That actually looks pretty plain, to me. The lighting and draw distance are nice, but that's been true since the Xbox 360 Assassin's Creed games. If you stop and take in the details, I think it actually feels pretty flat, and sparse on anything actually interesting. Perhaps it looks more appealing on street level?

It continues to look like a generic asian f2p mobile game.
I'm baffled that this is supposed to be a big budget product for stationary hardware. Who the fuck is their test audience?

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Dragon Age Veilguard is what a game looks like after you have had an edible, I've played multiple dragon age games and I think playing it first is important.

That actually looks pretty plain, to me. The lighting and draw distance are nice, but that's been true since the Xbox 360 Assassin's Creed games. If you stop and take in the details, I think it actually feels pretty flat, and sparse on anything actually interesting. Perhaps it looks more appealing on street level?

If you think that looks plain I cannot really say anything. It's like we are looking at different pictures^^

Here is another one that I liked (probably from the Necropolis in Nevarra):

XHHv2qf.jpeg

Last edited:

ZehDon

If you think that looks plain I cannot really say anything. It's like we are looking at different pictures^^

Here is another one that I liked (probably from the Necropolis in Nevarra):

XHHv2qf.jpeg
That's a bit better, so I suspect the game might look better in close ups. With that said, it still just reads generic fantasy to me. Take off the logo, and that image could be from virtually any fantasy game. That's a trend I've noticed; the edge, personality, and individualism of modern games seems to have been jettisoned, replaced with generic and interchangeable artwork, artstyles, and presentations.

If you're enjoying Veilguard, don't let me bring you down. It's not my cup of tea, but I hope it delivers everything you want it to :)

foamdino

My hot take has always been that Dragon Age games have been massively over-rated by everyone since Origins, and this one will continue that trend.

There are simply far better RPGs to play than Dragon Age games.

(Like Mass Effect, I just don't get why anyone thinks BioWare did anything special after BG2)

That's a bit better, so I suspect the game might look better in close ups. With that said, it still just reads generic fantasy to me. Take off the logo, and that image could be from virtually any fantasy game. That's a trend I've noticed; the edge, personality, and individualism of modern games seems to have been jettisoned, replaced with generic and interchangeable artwork, artstyles, and presentations.

If you're enjoying Veilguard, don't let me bring you down. It's not my cup of tea, but I hope it delivers everything you want it to :)

To be fair Dragon Age has always been visually generic. Especially Origins. There are here and there some cool and original ideas but the art direction never has been as good as for example FROMSOFT's.

The reason why people love Dragon Age is the lore and the companions

Last edited:
Then she actually explains what the "Final damage +20" stat does because the fucking actual name isn't enough. No I just can't...
Wow incredible...this is revolutionary. A whole video for the most basic shit ever. Is their audience 10 year olds who never played an action RPG before because it certainly seems like it is.
hilary heskett hidey, who narrates the trailer, spent 2010 thru 2021 working primarily in bioware marketing. she's been a 'narrative producer' for the last 3 years. i'm thinking that it's quite possible that she herself has never played an action rpg before. which'd make all these standardized mechanics appear to be quite fresh & interesting...

Cyberpunkd

They are not going for RPG veterans, every company takes these for granted, it’s the Fortnite casual kids that they want. Yes, for these people things like that are novel. Still looks way too complicated for them IMO, I don’t understand why at this point they even bother with Active Pause, just make it full real-time.

Last edited:

Neolombax

Progression looks nice but nothing new to be honest. Seems like they adopted the ME Andromeda primer and detonator system. Art style looks all over the place...I thought Inquisition had a nice art style, this one looks...ehh.

GymWolf

Gold Member

7qPRKul.jpeg
What is impressive on this pic?

Surely not the level of detail, that's for sure, it looks videogamey AF.

Last edited:
Watched the video.

Cautiously optimistic.

Could very well be great. Liking synergy you can create with companions. Hopefully it gives situations to use them properly. And is not piss easy.

GinSama

I still don't understand the ridiculous new design for the darkspawns.... They used to be so scary.....

Top Bottom