• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

I'm pretty sure I just unlocked it. At the 7:45 hour mark.

I'm around the 5 hour mark, (really 4 since I left the 3DS switched on and open for a bit twice), so that sounds about right. I will never understand how anyone thinks putting Streetpass/Spotpass/DLC access that far into a game makes sense.

Daouzin

I'm around the 5 hour mark, (really 4 since I left the 3DS switched on and open for a bit twice), so that sounds about right. I will never understand how anyone thinks putting Streetpass/Spotpass/DLC access that far into a game makes sense.

I don't know how they implement it in the game, but as someone that played the original, I loved the pacing and how slowly new mechanics will unveiled. Everything had a narrative tie that made sense. If it's done as well in the remake for that stuff, I think that's cool.

I don't think games should be limited to structure everything or anything in a specific way.

I don't know how they implement it in the game, but as someone that played the original, I loved the pacing and how slowly new mechanics will unveiled. Everything had a narrative tie that made sense. If it's done as well in the remake for that stuff, I think that's cool.

I don't think games should be limited to structure everything or anything in a specific way.

If the NDS / Wii entire online service hadn't decided to go away so abruptly I may be more forgiving about the pacing of Streetpass/ DLC purchase access. Because it did , I have way less patience for setups that can potentially permanently cripple my gameplay experience (I'll never get a bunch of the Last Story Stuff, can't complete Suikoden: Tierkriss's Internet mission, etc) . There are things where a certain degree of pragmatism needs to be applied, and not forcing me to play 10 hours of your game so I don't miss out on content is one of those things that I really appreciate if I'm not actually planning on playing your game right now. It makes these games and their extended introduction sections an enormous time sink that my life would be significantly improved without.

Hobbun

Yes, admittedly I'm particularly sensitive to this because I'm not actually planning on playing this right now, just want to make sure I have Streetpass etc going for when I do start playing. Hiding the Streetpass/Spotpass/DLC stuff hours into the game is one of the most annoying things I've found about 3DS games.

And a cut down intro feeling awkward doesn't mean it isn't too long (it may mean the original script though more coherent was very poorly paced) . To put this in perspective I could have watched a feature length film before I got to the actual gameplay of this game or 2 episodes of an hour long drama (either of which would have had significantly more happen). That's one of the reasons I said puzzles may have actually helped, because it would have given me some actual meaningful interaction beyond walking around and mashing buttons at everyone / everything.

And I'm apparently still another few hours away from the Streetpass / Spotpass / Internet unlock (just finished up the Crabble rouser bit).

Hey, completely understand. Each person has their own preferences.

As for Streetpass, I just wish it was something they didn’t put in the game at all. Streetpass isn’t a factor where I live so when I hear there are “Streetpass events” in the game, I am never too happy. I am just glad, by Aeana’s words, that there are other ways to obtain the Traveler’s Tablets in-game, as Streetpass is something I will never use.

Karu

As for Streetpass, I just wish it was something they didn’t put in the game at all. Streetpass isn’t a factor where I live so when I hear there are “Streetpass events” in the game, I am never too happy. I am just glad, by Aeana’s words, that there are other ways to obtain the Traveler’s Tablets in-game, as Streetpass is something I will never use.
Dito, same experience for me. Even if there are other ways, still frustrating...

Dito, same experience for me. Even if there are other ways, still frustrating...

Think we may be on a similar page there. The reason I want to get Streetpass setup early is because I'm in Australia, so about the only time I get good streetpass rates is at PAX Oz.

The DLC / Internet Story Tablets are because I don't trust Nintendo to keep the network going far into the life of the NX.

I do genuinely enjoy some slow experiences (Visual Novels for example) but when I'm playing an RPG and just trying to get a mechanic unlocked it's annoying. There are games where long intros have bothered me far less (Persona 4 for one).

Aeana

Honestly, the streetpass dungeons aren't even that interesting. But I didn't care for grottoes in DQ9 either. They serve as a place to level up and fight challenging bosses but the game has so much content as it is that I don't feel like it needed that. You can get one free one via the Internet every day iirc though, and sometimes there are special ones directly from SE. Assuming that hasn't been changed in the localization.

Scrawnton

Honestly, the streetpass dungeons aren't even that interesting. But I didn't care for grottoes in DQ9 either. They serve as a place to level up and fight challenging bosses but the game has so much content as it is that I don't feel like it needed that. You can get one free one via the Internet every day iirc though, and sometimes there are special ones directly from SE. Assuming that hasn't been changed in the localization.

Is this end game content only or something that can be done throughout the story?

Sorry if the answer is already mentioned a few pages back in the thread, but who did the localization script for this one? It wasn't 8-4 Play again, was it?

You unlock it a couple of hours in and the it's available from then on.

I heard there were a couple of story related ones you had to download from the Internet after clearing the entire game (concerning story characters), is that the case , or is this a thing where translation rumours abound ?

Hobbun

Do you have any McDonalds nearby? Those will give you StreetPasses.

I do. Probably about 5 minutes away. But still irritating I need to drive over to McDonald’s if I want to trade tablets. If it was a one-time activation in the game, then I wouldn’t care so much. But the tablet trading is something that you will probably do many times.

Yes, I understand. I'm just glad there are alternatives at least.

joesiv

I'm excited, I haven't played a dragon quest game since dragon warrior 5 on SFC.

Downloading now... late for work... c'mon baby!

edit: it's done! whoo hoo

"If I can't use it no one should".

There are alternatives. I dont exactly get street passes often either, and probably won't for this game since it's niche, but I'm not going to knock it. It's fun when I do get a tag.

Haven't started yet, but apparently Kiefer's Name was changed to Gismar in the German version o_O Or is this a general change for the European version?

Ricker

I will try and find a physical copy today,otherwise I will buy this on the 3DS eshop...need to cancel some demo's though because I was low on blocks last time I checked(which is a while ago).

Hobbun

"If I can't use it no one should".

There are alternatives. I dont exactly get street passes often either, and probably won't for this game since it's niche, but I'm not going to knock it. It's fun when I do get a tag.

When there is worthwhile content in a game that is exclusive, or gained easier, by using Streetpass, yes, it is going to be irritating and wish they found better means to give us the content.

But again, fortunately the extra content is at least attainable in DQ7 without Streetpass.

Joqu

Just started playing my copy. Still can't believe this is actually happening.

This is gonna take me SO long though. I still have to finish up Ace Attorney 6 too.

But some first impressions? Writing's lovely so far, I'm already getting that jolly Dragon Quest feeling. The game looks and feels real nice too, it's all pretty smooth and the 3D effect is nice and strong. Menus are a bit of a nightmare though, but hey, I didn't expect them to be anything fancy going by past DQ experiences. Still, it feels a little clunkier?

Wish I didn't know about the orchestrated music thing, but it still sounds good. Will be tough to ignore now that I know about it though.

But yeah, I'm just really pleased we're getting some Dragon Quest 7 love in Europe. Looking forward to 8 and Builders. <3

Hmm, there's definitely something weird going on with the menus. Like they run in 10fps or something, clear delay between input and action and so on. I'll probably get used to it, but menus are such a weird thing to screw up.

How bad is this?

Maybe I can just play my JP version again. At this rate I don't think my preorder'd version is going to show up until Tuesday. :\

There's a bit of a lag when you select something on the menu but I stopped noticing it after the first 2-3 times.

Edit: really it was most noticeable when you had to name your MC at the very beginning.

Karu

Haven't started yet, but apparently Kiefer's Name was changed to Gismar in the German version o_O Or is this a general change for the European version?
I don't know about any changes due to this being my first DQ game (nd also playing the german version, sad there wasn't a language option as far as i can tell), but it pisses me off that he's called Gismar while his father's name is Sigmar lol.

About 11 hours into V. Gonna complete that before I embark on this journey. Can't wait! Though I am a little worried about the classes, but I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

Joqu

Ah, lag huh. Yeah, that explains why the menus are feeling off to me. It's nothing unmanageable though, I'll get used to it.

I hope this ends up selling well. We missed out on a whole lot of fantastic looking Dragon Quest games in recent years and I'm not expecting to get any of those at this point, but it'd be nice if the future of DQ games ends up looking a little brighter after this and 8. I mean, Heroes sure didn't do the trick.

I don't know about any changes due to this being my first DQ game (nd also playing the german version, sad there wasn't a language option as far as i can tell), but it pisses me off that he's called Gismar while his father's name is Sigmar lol.

Usually in 3DS games you can change the system language and that will change the game language. At least, that's how it works for English/French releases here in Canada.

TrutaS

Any immediate tips for newcomers to the series? I know this might have been posted in many dragon quest threads, but I can't seem to find it easily!

magnetic

When do you unlock zoom? Running everywhere is a bit annoying, especially with the back and forth between islands and towns.

If there's one technical thing I don't like - the framerate feels a bit too choppy for my taste. Obviously not nearly as bad as IX, but the DS ones were always really smooth.

Party chat is so useful! The last games I played were IX and IV DS, which both didn't have it.

Picked this up today on a whim, I never played the original and it's been a good while since I last had a new game.on 2ds to play, since generations I think. Looking forward to it. Any tips before I go in? I've played 3 or 4 dragon quests before so just of therss anything weird I should know.

TEJ

I hope they have non-preorder copies at my gamestop, will be going there soon. Otherwise I will order from amazon.

aravuus

How bad is this?

Maybe I can just play my JP version again. At this rate I don't think my preorder'd version is going to show up until Tuesday. :\

It's not a dealbreaker by any means, but it is definitely noticeable and can be annoying if you're sensitive to that sort of stuff, like I am.

But it's something you'll most likely get used to in a couple of hours, so it's not that bad.

magnetic

Any immediate tips for newcomers to the series? I know this might have been posted in many dragon quest threads, but I can't seem to find it easily!

- You don´t always need to buy the best gear for everyone once you arrive at a new shop - the game is (at least initially) easy enough that you would just waste your money. I usually skip new gear until the improvement feels significant enough.

- With Maribelle, she learns a skill called "evac", which lets you teleport out of a dungeon at any time. It´s helpful once you cleared a dungeon and don´t want to walk back all the way!

- Press B to talk with your party for a nice little refresher what you should be doing next. Under "info" in the menu you can catch up with the general story so far, so you don´t get lost.

- "Sap" is a great debuff spell. Most RPGs don´t really seem to be big on buffing and debuffing, but it´s helpful in DQ during boss battles.

-Using "tactics" during battle lets you easily fine-tune your auto-battle settings if you don´t feel like choosing every single action. "Use no magic" is something I find useful when I want to conserve MP.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Any performance differences between N3DS and OG?

Seeing some comments about menu lag/stuttering has me wondering if it's like that for the new 3DS's as well.

My oh my!
What I was planning: starting Bravely Second which I bought day one now that I finally have time.

What I am doing: downloading DQVII from the eShop and telling Bravely Second to please understand.

Weird, I was never interested in Dragon Quest and the announcement for DQ 7 and 8 coming to us for 3DS made me nothing but shrug.
Now it is here.
Now I want it more than any other game despite some flaws. After reading this thread. Well done OP, I am beyond saving.

So you're saying that Kiefer is now Sigmar's heir? FOR THE TWIN TAILED COMET!

Kyolux

Was day 1 on this for PS1. I'm waiting it out for now for 3DS.

But I'm so glad so many people are experiencing my favorite DQ game for the first time.

Shepard

Bought but I'm currently playing IV for ds right now. 6 hours in but IV feels incredibly dated, so I think I'll give up on it and start playing VII.

The biggest DQ specific thing to point out is that death is different than most other rpgs.

Do NOT reset when you die. Death just puts you back in town with half your gold on hand. You keep your levels/items. Losing half your gold only hurts early on because you gain access to a bank to dump your gold into before you leave town that is unaffected when you die.

If you're having troubles the loop becomes Dump Gold at bank -> dungeon until you die -> respawn at town with higher level/items from chests/half of new gold -> buy some new gear with the new funds -> try again a little better off.

The design is such that if you choose to keep throwing yourself at the same boss over and over you will eventually level enough to overcome. Key word is "choose to" as you can still always play smarter, adjust your classes or strategy, or whatever else you want to attempt.

Top Bottom