• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

Slaythe

So, new to these games, does changing your equipment change your characters appearance? So far i've only gotten like 2 different armors and the character looks the same. I did notice, however, that changing weapons does reflect in battle

No.
Only weapons change.

But changing classes change your appearance.

Can't wait to get home and play the game later. Also wanted to give a huge thanks to Colonel Mustard who was kind enough to give me his 3DS theme. :)

Wait a second, does this game posses the same level of party talk that DQ VI had???

As in, talking to every NPC offers a unique party talk conversation?

Still on the fence about this game, mostly because I'm somewhere in the middle of DQ5 after a year and haven't really felt like going back. I enjoy reading all your experiences with the game however 🙂

Ydelnae

Wait a second, does this game posses the same level of party talk that DQ VI had???

Everytime I talk to my party members (I don't do it that often) after talking to a NPC, they seem to react to what they said, so I think that's in.

mjc

I'm in a rough spot...I'm playing through TitS SC but I've been waiting for DQVII for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong long time. I can't play both at the same time so I have to decide to shelve one for the other. Rough!

Aeana

Yeah, the party chat definitely added a lot to the translation, so hopefully people will appreciate it. Same goes for the story so far text, which they almost cut.

This is the Dragon Quest that party chat originated in.

Btw... I really like dragon quest.
ca6V8wG.jpg

TEJ

I didn't see it in the opening post, is there a good class guide for the 3ds version so I don't bork my characters?

Lynx_7

Not sure, or at least that hasn't been my experience so far. A few NPCs offer unique party talk conversations, but a lot of them haven't. I've only been checking whenever an NPC says something that sounds "important" now.

Also, I knew you visited islands both in the past and the present in this game but I didn't know the exact details, so when I saw Ballymolloy's island suddenly appearing on the world map I was like "OOOOH, I get it!". I thought the islands were just really far from each other or something, but now it makes a lot more sense. Color me intrigued, that's such a cool concept for a game like this. I already liked Maeve's story a lot so I can only imagine how much I'll like this game when I get to the best vignettes. So far I see a lot of potential for good storytelling.

MUST...DESTROY...ALL...POTS AND BARRELS!
image.php

nikos

How's the difficulty? Can I play through and enjoy it with ease, or does it require grinding, crafting, gear/job management, etc.

Time is limited these days, so most of my gameplay would probably be done during my commute. I don't want to get into anything too crazy, given my list of abandoned games is endless.

EDIT: I couldn't help myself and opened it. That GAF hype. Been wanting to play this forever anyway.

How's the difficulty? Can I play through and enjoy it with ease, or does it require grinding, crafting, gear/job management, etc.

Time is limited these days, so most of my gameplay would probably be done during my commute. I don't want to get into anything too crazy, given my list of abandoned games is endless.

It seems significantly more easier this version. I haven't had to grind yet.

The game doesn't have a crafting system. There is a job system, but I can't really comment in job grinding in this version. I had to job grind in the psx version.

My go to strategy for the psx version was to master shepherd with everyone and then spam stampede. NOT sure I'm gonna go that route in this version.

aravuus

There hasn't been nearly as much of the party chat stuff as there was in the DS DQ games, though, which has been bumming the hell out of me.

In the first vignette part, the first new island, maybe 5-10% of the town NPCs' unique lines added something new to the party chat. The only ones I can remember are
"what's going on with the town folk" chat after talking to the guy digging up his cabbage patch, "oh so that's what happened" chat right after that when the old guy tells you what's up and the chat about people remembering Maeve positively after her death from the dude standing in front of the inn.

Three unique party chats from maybe 10 NPCs who all have a new line of dialogue between story events. Other than that, it was always something about what we're supposed to do next. I recall the party chat having something new in it after almost literally every single new line of dialogue the NPCs got in the DS games.

Aeana

EDIT: I couldn't help myself and opened it. That GAF hype. Been wanting to play this forever anyway.

It doesn't require grinding at all, but yes there is a class system and managing your classes is going to be very beneficial. No crafting.

nikos

It seems significantly more easier this version. I haven't had to grind yet.

The game doesn't have a crafting system. There is a job system, but I can't really comment in job grinding in this version. I had to job grind in the psx version.

My go to strategy for the psx version was to master shepherd with everyone and then spam stampede. NOT sure I'm gonna go that route in this version.

It doesn't require grinding at all, but yes there is a class system and managing your classes is going to be very beneficial. No crafting.

Thanks! Going to start today and hope it grabs me. My DQ experience is a bit limited, and I want to become more familiar with it before Builders arrives.

mummite

Why is there no camera control utilizing the *NEW* 3DS analog control stick. This seems like a wasted opportunity as its much more comfortable then using the L1/R1 camera controls. Really enjoying the game though.

Glix

This game looks GREAT. Was surprised they let me spin the camera in houses and stuff. I am very impressed.

(Playing on N3DS NOT XL)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm contemplating this game, but I've never really played a DQ game. I played a few hours of DQ8, but that was during college days so I didn't have a TON of time to devote to a JRPG. For this game, how much missable stuff exists? I don't want to feel like I have to play with a guide next to me in order to get the most out of it.

Also, I played some 9 and remember something about maps, but I didn't really get too much into that because I quit playing after like 10 hours. What's the equivalent of that in this game?

Hazu

I'm sick today so I took a day off from work, expected to get the game today but I won't get it until next wednesday. Thank you Best Buy! -_-

Anyway, I hope you guys are having a great time with it, haven't played a DQ game in a while so I'm really excited to try this one!

Scrawnton

I'm contemplating this game, but I've never really played a DQ game. I played a few hours of DQ8, but that was during college days so I didn't have a TON of time to devote to a JRPG. For this game, how much missable stuff exists? I don't want to feel like I have to play with a guide next to me in order to get the most out of it.

Also, I played some 9 and remember something about maps, but I didn't really get too much into that because I quit playing after like 10 hours. What's the equivalent of that in this game?

Things aren't really missable in DQ like they are in other JRPGs. Think of DQ as a big open world type metroidvania game. You can always backtrack. Not sure about this specific game but the other games have been like this.

Kadin

I never played the original and maybe this is a feature that wasn't in that game but I'm not sure I'm a fan of having the map revealed already when in a dungeon area. On one hand it's nice to see exactly where I think I need to go, on the other hand, I feel compelled to go in the complete opposite direction to see if if there's anything hidden.

And this goes along with the rather clumsy rotation system and camera height at times. I wish it would pan down a bit to see out further but I guess I can see why it is the way it is for performance reasons.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Things aren't really missable in DQ like they are in other JRPGs. Think of DQ as a big open world type metroidvania game. You can always backtrack. Not sure about this specific game but the other games have been like this.

Oh that's pretty awesome, thanks. Makes it an easier sell for me.

ghibli99

That's gotta be a first... Ontrac brought mine at 9 this morning. They usually wait until like 8 at night. LOL Weekend plans confirmed! :)

a few reasons
- If you have a N3DS, it's right there, always taunting you
- ZL/ZR don't work
- L/R to center
- You can't zoom out

I'm still not seeing the issue. L/R to center is pretty standard for old rpgs. I've got an N3ds and find it pretty comfy. Zooming out I can see but it's not a big deal.

Camjo-Z

That part with the saints' armor in the intro is so pointless, they could have cut the entire thing and nothing would have changed. I finally got to the battles though so I assume things will start picking up!

L/R is preferable to that crum-sized nipple analog.

I actually prefer L/R for camera to using a right-stick in general. I wish more modern games did that control scheme.

aravuus

I never played the original and maybe this is a feature that wasn't in that game but I'm not sure I'm a fan of having the map revealed already when in a dungeon area. On one hand it's nice to see exactly where I think I need to go, on the other hand, I feel compelled to go in the complete opposite direction to see if if there's anything hidden.

And this goes along with the rather clumsy rotation system and camera height at times. I wish it would pan down a bit to see out further but I guess I can see why it is the way it is for performance reasons.

I like having the dungeon maps, or all maps for that matter, completely revealed from the get-go. No need to stumble around getting lost all the time.

Especially with this zoomed-in camera. Definitely wish you could zoom out a bit.

I actually prefer L/R for camera to using a right-stick in general. I wish more modern games did that control scheme.

Yeah, DQ8 3Ds let's you use that little nub to change the camera but I don't think I ever touched it more than a few times since it's pretty awkward.

SuperSah

Banned
Got to the first fight at 1hr 50m.

Did they accidentally swap 3D options? Weak 3D is actually strong and vice versa :lol

magnetic

I don't know why I binge on DQ games so much. Played six hours already.

I mean, I enjoy playing them, but there's games I find more engaging, yet never play them in such long sessions.

I hope I don't burn myself out on this game.

Still haven't played a game that uses it. It doesn't seem that comfortable. Nipples are more flexible than it.

Top Bottom