• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

Refyref

Finished the intro in a little more than 2:45. Most people aren't going to take that long, as I spoke with pretty much every NPC after every event, and checked party chat multiple times after every talk. The intro definitely feels a bit cut, as you don't actually do anything in the "puzzle", but I still thought this intro was charming. It had a lot of character.

Aeana

When do you unlock zoom? Running everywhere is a bit annoying, especially with the back and forth between islands and towns.

If there's one technical thing I don't like - the framerate feels a bit too choppy for my taste. Obviously not nearly as bad as IX, but the DS ones were always really smooth.

Party chat is so useful! The last games I played were IX and IV DS, which both didn't have it.
The hero learns zoom at level 8.

Kinsei

Banned
What's the file size for digital? On the off chance that I can't find a physical copy I want to make sure I have enough room to download it.

Aeana

You can't use Zoom when you are in the past, though, which makes the spell pretty useless for huge chunks of the game.
For the most part, you don't need it though, considering the small scope of each area. There's only a handful where you actually have to go back and forth a lot, the Emberdale scenario being one of them.

Terrorblot

I hope they have non-preorder copies at my gamestop, will be going there soon. Otherwise I will order from amazon.

Why do people bother with Gamestop at all? It's so ridiculous that a gaming specialty store doesn't carry enough stock when you can do an in-store pickup at best buy, walmart, or any other big box store.

About 11 hours into V. Gonna complete that before I embark on this journey. Can't wait! Though I am a little worried about the classes, but I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

Not sure if it's a good idea for people to marathon the series (as in, play previous DQs right before VII). Though V is on the short end they're all quite lengthy games (with the exception of I) and you don't wanna get burnt out - VII is the biggest one easily.

The hero learns zoom at level 8.
The game also flat out gives you half a dozen Chimera Wings in the intro sequence if you bother getting all the available treasure, which should easily hold anyone over until the Hero gets to 8.

Just finished
Emberdale (Past)
and you can not use Zoom in that area or Evac in the attached dungeon and I am crying because I "had" to go back in to pick up a couple of missed chests.

Comet

Not sure if it's a good idea for people to marathon the series (as in, play previous DQs right before VII). Though V is on the short end they're all quite lengthy games (with the exception of I) and you don't wanna get burnt out - VII is the biggest one easily.

Not to mention it is immoral and a crime against humanity to suggest anyone rush through Dragon Quest V.

Hobbun

Why do people bother with Gamestop at all? It's so ridiculous that a gaming specialty store doesn't carry enough stock when you can do an in-store pickup at best buy, walmart, or any other big box store.

I’ve been going to my local Gamestop since the Wii was originally released and I do so as they’ve treated me well. As long as they continue to do so, they will continue to get my business.

KingBroly

Banned

As ridiculous as it sounds, sometimes they are the only ones to have copies of a game. But it won't be on release day, usually. A week or two after, yes.

But this is one I wanted to pre-order because I wanted to make sure I could get a retail copy and not take a chance with Target or Wal-mart or Best Buy who, around my area, have been ridiculously sloppy with 3DS games lately.

SuperSah

Banned
Just got to Estard and the script is pretty neat.

'Your girlfriend ran away. Oh well, plenty more fish in the sea' and 'it's hardly your fault you're related to him, is it?'

loving it so far.

AmyS

29415107010_59b05402f4_z.jpg

Flying get!!

If you mean puff puff, then yes

SyJh2IN.jpg

5f60fc2bacc549f69fa28af5c4a1e07b.png

Took a pic straight out of the store since I couldn't wait lol.

YAY ^

AwYSEpB.jpg

I wanted to also get DQ IX but didn't feel like driving another 10 miles to the nearest GS that had a copy.

Now it's time to get started on VIIr, finally!

Ydelnae

Where's the guy that knows how to talk to animals? The characters say that he's in Estard but when I'm in the town they say that they doubt he's in there.

SuperSah

Banned
What I'm liking so far is that there is SO MUCH to see and do. The script is so well written, speaking to everyone is a joy.

Cruxist

Ugh Amazon. Get here now! I work from home today and could easily be playing now but I pre-ordered way back when.

Glad everyone is having fun though!

Holy fuck I'm excited to play this today. I only ever rented the PS1 game, and I've been wanting to come back to it ever since. I'm thrilled this remake was localized!

boooga

Neo Member
What do you think the chances are of some of the other 3DS DQ games coming stateside after this one? Hard to tell if DQVII is actually selling well or if it just seems popular because I've been following it, but if it is doing well at retail, maybe we'll see the DQ Monsters remakes or Joker 3 or something?

I know it's a bad idea to get your hopes up (especially about the prospect of DQ games coming west), but it's fun to dream.

Slaythe

Just got it.

Loving it so far.

Such an old school vibe. (Duh)

The graphics look great.

It looked like vomit on those youtube videos, but t actually looks great on my new 3ds.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It looks a lot better than I was expecting it to. Hopefully this doesn't sell so poorly that SE decides not to release VIII, and considering that it, as in VIII, came out so long ago in Japan, I'm guessing it doesn't take advantage of the n3DS specs right?

Ozium

Is there a way to see how much EXP is needed for a character to level up?

All I can find is how much they have

YAY ^

AwYSEpB.jpg

I wanted to also get DQ IX but didn't feel like driving another 10 miles to the nearest GS that had a copy.

Now it's time to get started on VIIr, finally!

The only reason I wish I went physical instead of digital since I have IV/V/VI and IX. Maybe I will pick up a physical copy later... =) For now though I will just be happy to be playing it at all.

TEJ

Because it's close by (a five minute drive) and the only other store that sells games nearby is wal mart. And they rarely get anything new on time.

I lucked out and was able to buy a copy.

Why haven't they remade 1-3 for 3ds? I'm hoping a remake of all three in one cart with 7's engine.

I would settle for a VC release of the Gameboy games worldwide.
Either of these would be great for me, although I'm really struggling with VIIr's engine, would really prefer a more overhead camera especially on the world map. I was actually hoping for a remake of these for the 30th Anniversary. :( I'd love them on a physical cart, but I'd settle for VC and Gameboy versions. The mobile versions aren't awful, but...

Heropon

Just finished the first dungeon. It felt bad learning the first skills and not being able to use them except Kiefer's because the characters started at zero MP.

For me the highlights are the character designs and the localization (not playing in English, but I suppose it must be as polished). I can't wait for the battle side of the game to get more interesting but for now I'm pretty happy with it.

selo

So, new to these games, does changing your equipment change your characters appearance? So far i've only gotten like 2 different armors and the character looks the same. I did notice, however, that changing weapons does reflect in battle

So, new to these games, does changing your equipment change your characters appearance? So far i've only gotten like 2 different armors and the character looks the same. I did notice, however, that changing weapons does reflect in battle

Just weapons. But, once you unlock changing classes, each class has a different appearance.

Mr. RPG

I should be getting the game sometime today. :)

I'm so excited. I've waited so many years to play this game.

I hope everyone here is enjoying it.

Top Bottom