• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

aravuus

I don't know why I binge on DQ games so much. Played six hours already.

I mean, I enjoy playing them, but there's games I find more engaging, yet never play them in such long sessions.

I hope I don't burn myself out on this game.

Hahah yeah, I'm at I think 7 hours now. Been playing all day, I'm a bit ill and it's the perfect game to play while just lying in the bed.

I dunno, it's just a nice and simple JRPG. Charming as fuck, too, it's just filled to the brim with stuff that makes me smile.

Raxious

So i've been hearing stories for years about DQ, but never really bothered to try it myself. Would DQ7 be a good game to start with? I'm a complete DQ noob ^^'

Scrawnton

Speaking of VIII, have they given a release date yet?

No but I'd put money on it being in February. They love releasing RPGs on 3DS that month.

So i've been hearing stories for years about DQ, but never really bothered to try it myself. Would DQ7 be a good game to start with? I'm a complete DQ noob ^^'

They are all equally good to start with, it's just that some games are better in different areas. If you have a 3DS then you might as well pick this one up and start here.

zbarron

Still haven't played a game that uses it. It doesn't seem that comfortable. Nipples are more flexible than it.

Majora's Mask uses it, and it really is superior to L+R. I feel like I'm back playing the PS1 with these camera controls, but with a game like this that's kind of fitting. I miss not being able to look up and down.

Majora's Mask uses it, and it really is superior to L+R. I feel like I'm back playing the PS1 with these camera controls, but with a game like this that's kind of fitting. I miss not being able to look up and down.

Most 3D games (aside from shooters) don't really need you to look up and down very often, and I'd rather most game just be designed to not need looking up and down.

It's really cozy to just hold forward on the d-pad/analog and angle left using L and right using R, saving finer movements for d-pad/left-analog. Feels a lot like riding a bicycle or I guess a better implementation of old-fashioned "tank controls."

selo

Finished 1st island a couple of minutes ago
Thought the whole maeve story was cool, I mean, it was sad, but I wasn't expecting that from this game. Is it possible to beat maeve? I used the doll right away and it ended the combat then and there.

mummite

a few reasons
- If you have a N3DS, it's right there, always taunting you
- ZL/ZR don't work
- L/R to center
- You can't zoom out

Yep, its right there taunting you! I just want to rotate with the right stick. I am getting use to the L/R buttons, but dang that input taunts me :p

Oregano

Just loaded the game up and heard the majestic theme. This is what I've been waiting all the 3DS' life for.

Also is Kobo Sugiyama just a different translation of Koichi Sugiyama?

Finished 1st island a couple of minutes ago
Thought the whole maeve story was cool, I mean, it was sad, but I wasn't expecting that from this game. Is it possible to beat maeve? I used the doll right away and it ended the combat then and there.

Going on my memories of the original game. The crab guy was the real boss and when the maeve fight came I just attacked until she was defeated. She didn't fight back. Didn't even think to use the doll back then. No idea if the remake changed things.

Whelp, I just got jobbed hard by someone else's version of the starting Travelers Tablet, I didn't even know those could level up! Good time to take a break for a little while.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Had the day off today and instead of doing anything productive I just played this. What an engrossing game. This localization is delightful so far.

I finally got to my first battle in the game, and I think I clocked it at 2 hours, pretty much exactly. Wouldn't have it any other way. I can imagine this game taking me 20-30 hours longer than most people because of how I play.

syncyes

I ordered this on my old Amazon account that had a bunch of gift cards on it to save money...

But that account isn't a Prime account so my copy won't ship for a while.

Regrets ;-;

SuperSah

Banned
I finally got to my first battle in the game, and I think I clocked it at 2 hours, pretty much exactly. Wouldn't have it any other way. I can imagine this game taking me 20-30 hours longer than most people because of how I play.

Yup. I explore literally everything head to toe and it's such a joy so far. What a game.

Aeana

Going on my memories of the original game. The crab guy was the real boss and when the maeve fight came I just attacked until she was defeated. She didn't fight back. Didn't even think to use the doll back then. No idea if the remake changed things.
Right, you can also choose to run away. It's up to you; there's many ways to approach that scenario. Fighting results in some dialog differences.

aravuus

Man, the
volcano
dungeon is stupid full of enemies, like this is actually ridiculous. I get to walk literally a second or so between fights, and with these corridors, it's impossible to try and avoid the fights.

I think random encounters would be better here lol

e: I'm gonna die any second now lmao

Aeana

Man, the
volcano
dungeon is stupid full of enemies, like this is actually ridiculous. I get to walk literally a second or so between fights, and with these corridors, it's impossible to try and avoid the fights.

This is actually my least favorite part of the entire game because of the tiny walkways and the limited resources you have so early in the game.

Ydelnae

Man, the
volcano

I found it a cakewalk, but I still though it was tedious and that it overstayed its welcome. I hope the next dungeons aren't like that.

I think I'm a bit overleveled. I just met the
party member in the animal village
and all my characters are lv 12. Is it good? I'm not skipping any fights because DQ games always become really hard past the 10hr mark for me, and I don't want to be grinding then.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is actually my least favorite part of the entire game because of the tiny walkways and the limited resources you have so early in the game.

Dungeon has two free healing spots though, one at the beginning (which even revives!) and one near the end.

SuperSah

Banned
Question as I'm still (very) early game: in fights with 2x a same type monster can you select which individual you want to attack or not?

Peff

Question as I'm still (very) early game: in fights with 2x a same type monster can you select which individual you want to attack or not?

Not if they're grouped up when selecting them (sometimes you'll get a group of two plus one or other permutations even though they're the same type of monster) but the IA changes targets automatically for criticals or one-hit kills anyway.

Kadin

Yeah as already mentioned, you can't individually select one of the same enemies within their group but I'm finding the AI to pretty smart so far with picking the correct one based on who attacks next. With that said, I did have to use 'follow orders' with Maribel as she was using Frizz in every fight and quickly blowing through her MP.

aravuus

I found it a cakewalk, but I still though it was tedious and that it overstayed its welcome. I hope the next dungeons aren't like that.

I wouldn't call it hard exactly, there are just so many monsters on the way down that I'm out of healing items and MP halfway to the free healing spot lol. Tedious is the perfect word for it. Went down back to the town to upgrade my equipment for the first time, so here goes a second try. Glad to hear it's at least Aeana's least favorite place, maybe it'll be the same for me and I'll soon be done with the worst part of the game.

Btw, what's style, the attribute, all about? Does it actually affect anything?

SuperSah

Banned
Not if they're grouped up when selecting them (sometimes you'll get a group of two plus one or other permutations even though they're the same type of monster) but the IA changes targets automatically for criticals or one-hit kills anyway.

Yeah as already mentioned, you can't individually select one of the same enemies within their group but I'm finding the AI to pretty smart so far with picking the correct one based on who attacks next. With that said, I did have to use 'follow orders' with Maribel as she was using Frizz in every fight and quickly blowing through her MP.

Cheers guys! That's pretty useful to know. :)

Also is it me or do menus get sluggish when a lot are open at once? It's not bad enough to hinder my experience though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Got game
Sat down to play
5 hours later
help

SuperSah

Banned
It's not just you, there's some bizarre shit going on with the menus.

I wonder wtf happened here. It gets REALLY bad when sorting items, there's a noticeable delay with controls. Also, someone messed up Weak 3D and Strong 3D settings, they're the opposite.

Currently in the dungeon on the first island, it's such a joyful game. What really stands out is the 'story so far' section. It's just excellent to read in a third person perspective as if it's a novel - 'our heroes... etc. etc.'

Vena

Got game
Sat down to play
5 hours later
help

How would you like your help delivered? By parachute or quantum tunneling? In the latter case, I cannot confirm or deny existence of help until it helps. When you have been helped, let us know so that the wavefunction collapses to "helped".

Amazon preorder didn't show due to recent move (shipped to wrong address). Got it canceled and drove to get the game from Best Buy. They had to find it in the back (wasn't on shelf for some reason).

Wants my 3ds to update to 10.7 though, my 3ds has homebrew...looking into how to update properly. Ugh.

The wait is killing me.

A friend of mine just ordered the game and said it's likely to be a month wait now. I went and double-checked. Yeah, it looks like Amazon sold out of its stock currently. Pretty awesome news for the game!

Top Bottom