• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

magnetic

Small annoyance, but the menus feel more sluggish than the DS games. Like there's a delay when I click something.

Game is OK so far, and I can't believe I forgot
to use the wooden doll in battle
. Argh.

Some boss battles also seem to have slowdown sometimes, like
that dude that juggled eyeballs have some noticeable performance problems.
which is a shame since the bosses are especially well animated.

From what I can tell, those little slowdowns don't seem to be in the jaoanese version (going by the YouTube footage).

Definitely running not as smooth as the DS remakes, but thankfully nowhere near as bad as IX. That game made me run with three party members, since having four made the framerate stutter like crazy.

Eiolon

Man this game is sold out everywhere near me. Hopefully they do another printing of it, especially with holiday's coming up.

I'm a big Dragon Quest fan but this is the first time I've played VII and I'm really enjoying it. Since it's DQ, I'm really taking my time and exploring every building and talking to each NPC. Nothing is more nostalgic than destroying every pot and barrel and ransacking NPC houses! It almost brings a tear to my eye. T_T

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I thought there'd be a shortage of physical carts for this game. I managed to just walk into EBGAMES and pick one up though they had 3 and one of them was reserved so after I got one, there was only one left.

I hope this does well because I want to see more DQ games here, especially DQMJ.

ghibli99

Played about an hour and a half last night before going to bed. I think it really struck me that the thing I love most about the DQ games is that, for the most part, their worlds and inhabitants are simply... kind. There's a warmth and familiarity in the dialogue that you just don't get in a lot of games, and returning to these games is like putting on your favorite shirt.

And for the record, the music is perfectly fine, and sounds really nice, in fact. Anyone skipping this just because it didn't get the orchestrated soundtrack is missing out.

Played about an hour and a half last night before going to bed. I think it really struck me that the thing I love most about the DQ games is that, for the most part, their worlds and inhabitants are simply... kind. There's a warmth and familiarity in the dialogue that you just don't get in a lot of games, and returning to these games is like putting on your favorite shirt.

And for the record, the music is perfectly fine, and sounds really nice, in fact. Anyone skipping this just because it didn't get the orchestrated soundtrack is missing out.
Battle theme is absurdly good. Probably in my DQ series top 5 (IV's battle theme is still my king, though.)

watershed

Banned

That's the DQ charm. I think Fantasy Life is another game that did that kind of the world is a pleasant place jrpg feel.

zbarron

Ok I'm gonna have to ask I can't find him.

Where the hell is pike ?
If you're where I think you are, he's in his house by the shop in the castle town where the guy who flirts with Maribel works.
Man this game is sold out everywhere near me. Hopefully they do another printing of it, especially with holiday's coming up.
Why not just download it from the eShop? That's what I did. Now it don't have to switch carts or worry about losing it and hours of progress with it.

Tiktaalik

Yes. That whole segment in general was done more organically in the original. Instead of some pixie creature guiding you all the way through, the ruins were completely abandoned and you had to solve a lot of puzzles to get the four pieces of armour, not to mention having to figure out the statues riddles by yourself instead of the game doing it for you. Then you got to place the tablet fragments on the pillars by yourself. It was a much more adventurous, lonely, mysterious experience.

haha ok that makes some things make sense now. I just went through that part and I was baffled by how pointless and drawn out the experience was. Walking all the way over there just to stand on two plates in order to get this item just feels like a waste of time. Some puzzles would have made this make sense. I would have just cut all that shit altogether but I assume there is some plot reason for this armour to exist in the long term.

I love the deep NPC detail of the Dragon Quest series, and I've talked to most people in the towns just because that's what I like to do in DQ games, but completely aside from that, the intro does have a lot of tiresome, pointless backtracking. That's the part that I would have focused on tightening up.

Krammy

I just finished the intro dungeon "quest" and damn that was awful compared to the original. They tried to shorten it, but was it really shorter considering how far out you have to trek, and how slow the graves work? If this was their answer to the original dungeon, then I'd rather they have just kept it the way it was. Yikes.

Got to sink a few hours into this last night and it is scratching that JRPG itch exactly how I hoped it would. I actually enjoyed the slow start, but don't think I would have liked for it to go on much longer like it apparently did in the original.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck I started the game in german by mistake and now Kiefer is called Gismar (and the bag "Beutel" but whatever). Is the dude that lets me change names still in this?

fester

Banned
Well now the dilemma is deciding whether to finish DQ III (SNES version) or put that on hold and jump into this. I had been hoping to have it finished before DQ VII was released, but alas...

Aeana

Fuck I started the game in german by mistake and now Kiefer is called Gismar (and the bag "Beutel" but whatever). Is the dude that lets me change names still in this?
Yes, but you have to reach all trades abbey which is 15-20 hours in for most people.

If you're early on you might prefer to restart.

Well now the dilemma is deciding whether to finish DQ III (SNES version) or put that on hold and jump into this. I had been hoping to have it finished before DQ VII was released, but alas...

They're surprisingly different-feeling games, so I would stick with III if you're still enjoying it and move on to VII after. Both are fantastic though, can't go wrong either way on that.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, but you have to reach all trades abbey which is 15-20 hours in for most people.

If you're early on you might prefer to restart.
Thanks, I guess I will just restart then.
It's weird though. I mean I can kinda (but not really) understand why character names don't carry over when changing languages, but why does the bag stay "Beutel" lol?

R0ckman

Are you overleveled when monsters are fleeing half the time in battles? I'm so used to RPGs now that I don't even need to worry about draining my MP in dungeons, I only use Bang when I encounter a large batch of monsters and have no desire to grind out the battle.

Are you overleveled when monsters are fleeing half the time in battles? I'm so used to RPGs now that I don't even need to worry about draining my MP in dungeons, I only use Bang when I encounter a large batch of monsters and have no desire to grind out the battle.

You should be 7 for the first boss and 9 for the second. Where are you?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Nintendo gonna Nintendo. Here in Mexico for example the game is rare af and it's being sold at $60...

It should definitely be getting reprinted if it's sold out this fast. Might take a bit of time to reach Mexico though...

But, yeah, I said this in another thread, it's been obvious since FE:A that Nintendo is trying to encourage digital to increase their profits and reduce their costs/risk. It sucks for us physical gamers, but they do make enough (well....unless it's a special edition) of niche RPG's they publish for pre-orders. If at all possible (and I'm not sure how pre-ordering works in Mexico), that's probably the way to go for niche games anyways. Someone in that thread thought the game would be on shelves for ages, but NOA has shown they don't frankly print that much for niche games, so even if this wasn't a success it wouldn't languish on store shelves.

Really, even before digital, Nintendo made it obvious they do very low-print runs of niche RPG's, just look at Xenoblade and to an extent, Dragon Quest VI.

Aeana

Thanks, I guess I will just restart then.
It's weird though. I mean I can kinda (but not really) understand why character names don't carry over when changing languages, but why does the bag stay "Beutel" lol?
You can rename the bag too, so I assume it just stores it as a variable just like the characters.

Neoweee

Does 3DS Homebrew have a Pro Action Replay type thing code hacker? I recall DQ9 having invaluable codes to increase the text speed and framerate. That's my only hope to play this at this point, rather than return it and wait for the Mobile version (assuming their interface performance and text speed is improved like their previous ports).

I love the deep NPC detail of the Dragon Quest series, and I've talked to most people in the towns just because that's what I like to do in DQ games, but completely aside from that, the intro does have a lot of tiresome, pointless backtracking. That's the part that I would have focused on tightening up.

Having never played the original, I think leaving the puzzle dungeon intact instead of shortening it would have been better. The backtracking is so easy to cut. Kiefer could have come with me to the hermit's house the first time, instead of me leaving the ruins, going to the hermit, then finding Kiefer in his room and taking him back to the hermit.

Neoweee

This times 100. I just finished V last night, it's an apprx 30 hour game but my file has 106 hours on it, absolutely loved it.

I'll agree with 5 being the standout. The DQ games have been increasingly difficult for me to get through, but 5 is the only one in the last decade that I pushed right through. The mobile version is pretty good, too.

Just (big thing that happens about 15 hours in)
lost Kiefer
and am having all the sad feelings about it. Some of these vignettes have been very hard hitting, always forget just how much they make you care about these little lives and stories, something that I miss in a lot in other games, especially contemporary RPGs.

R0ckman

What classes fit the main character? He seems to fill this supporty role, while the prince is the tank so I'm just going to have him do all the tanky attack roles.

R0ckman

I'll agree with 5 being the standout. The DQ games have been increasingly difficult for me to get through, but 5 is the only one in the last decade that I pushed right through. The mobile version is pretty good, too.

I loved being able to have an RPG where my party is my family including wife and children.

Kinsei

Banned
The game is really great at instilling a sense of adventure in you. Exploring new towns and watching the stories of their inhabitants unfold is great. I've just finished the second boss and I'm really excited to see what became of the descendants of the citizens of Emberdale.

I really like how (Very minor spoilers)
my habit of talking to everyone after each major event ended up saving me from backtracking. I know some games wouldn't have let me get the Wholly Holy Water until after it was clear that I needed it.

Tiktaalik

Having never played the original, I think leaving the puzzle dungeon intact instead of shortening it would have been better. The backtracking is so easy to cut. Kiefer could have come with me to the hermit's house the first time, instead of me leaving the ruins, going to the hermit, then finding Kiefer in his room and taking him back to the hermit.

Yep that was the backtracking loop that seemed like an easy cut to me.

If you wanted to cut things even further cut out the initial failed visit to the ruins and come up with another way to establish that Kiefer is a bad boy other than stealing the ring (stealing a book and messing up a library seems like that could work...)

R0ckman

One thing I will piggy back off of is making you care about NPCs and how they dont feel like worthless do nothings with aome if them actually helping you in battles, it brings tgis world to life and really makes it feel like the world doesn't just sit there while the main character does everything. The series is great at that.

R0ckman

Ran into some boney fish that almost kicked my ass and have not seen one since? Is this a special monster? It jumps in the air then drills through the whole party for tons of damage.

SOLDIER

Has an official reason been given why they switched out the orchestral music? Is there a chance they'll put it back in with an optional patch/update?

SuperSah

Banned
It does, but it ghosts like crazy and isn't very good.

I've noticed zero ghosting. Hell, I was impressed when I entered a well and the objects by the black background didn't ghost - a usual place for it to take place. Mind you I'm on N3DS with improved 3D so it may be that?

Top Bottom