• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

Kinsei

Banned
Emergency question answer fast pls.

If you die is it game over or just KO ?

I'm in a deadly spot and haven't saved in 3 hours ..

You return to the last place you saved at but keep all of your items and EXP you earned before you died. You do lose half of your gold though.

Aeana

If you die, the only thing you lose is half of the gold you have on hand. You keep your experience and everything. If you put gold in the bank then the death penalty is minimal.

aravuus

It's not game over. When you die, you lose half of the money you were holding when you died and respawn in the nearest town/checkpoint. You keep everything else - experience points, found items etc.

e: i was the slowest so clearly i put the most thought in my answer and thus my answer was the best

Slaythe

I see.

Thanks.

I noticed they tend to revive your team when a cutscene triggers... I can only hope I survive till it triggers.

I see.

Thanks.

I noticed they tend to revive your team when a cutscene triggers... I can only hope I survive till it triggers.
You can quick save to create a checkpoint, as it doesn't delete itself when you load it. But you probably don't need to worry about doing that.

Also with keeping the items and experience you got, you don't get items back that you used on a failed run.

Zafir

Having played about 3 hours so far. My main gripe with the intro is pretty much that you're just going back and forth between places for the latter half of it. Which is made worse by the fact even though I've never played DQVII before, I can clearly see they removed puzzles. There was multiple times where I was wandering around thinking there has to be more to these rooms and there just wasn't. Which just made the walking back and forth even more irritating, because you're literally walking for more time than you are doing the said task. xD

Other random annoyance - I swear every time I use heal, the AI party member you can't control decides to do it as well, on the exact same person no less!

Besides that, seems interesting enough so far. Hopefully it stays that way, the only other DQ game I've played was VIII and I wasn't much of a fan. The graphics are better than I was expecting, looks fairly decent for a 3ds game especially considering it's a remake of an old game.

Slaythe

Holy shit there was a healing spot in the dungeon....

Would have saved me 10 years...

And Zaffir, the beginning of the game is slow on purpose. It keeps getting better and better.

Having played about 3 hours so far. My main gripe with the intro is pretty much that you're just going back and forth between places for the latter half of it. Which is made worse by the fact even though I've never played DQVII before, I can clearly see they removed puzzles. There was multiple times where I was wandering around thinking there has to be more to these rooms and there just wasn't. Which just made the walking back and forth even more irritating, because you're literally walking for more time than you are doing the said task. xD

Other random annoyance - I swear every time I use heal, the AI party member you can't control decides to do it as well, on the exact same person no less!

Besides that, seems interesting enough so far. Hopefully it stays that way, the only other DQ game I've played was VIII and I wasn't much of a fan. The graphics are better than I was expecting, looks fairly decent for a 3ds game especially considering it's a remake of an old game.
You can switch the party members to manual control or change the AI patterns in the battle menu. Usually I keep them on no-magic for normal encoounters and switch to manual for bosses.

aravuus

You can switch the party members to manual control or change the AI patterns in the battle menu. Usually I keep them on no-magic for normal encoounters and switch to manual for bosses.

I'd imagine Zafir's talking about the guest members in this case. The ones that don't even appear in the party menu.

Because the same thing kept happening to me with
Hanlon
in the Ballymolloy dungeon lol

Zafir

I'd imagine Zafir's talking about the guest members in this case. The ones that don't even appear in the party menu.

Because the same thing kept happening to me with
Hanlon
in the Ballymolloy dungeon lol

Yeah, exactly that, I'm on about
Hanlon
in the exact same place. :p

Evenbillybob

Neo Member
So quick question: On the worldmap, North of (Second Island spoilers)
Emberdale Island
I have a blinking "point of interest", but there is nothing at the location. Anybody know what it is?

I really like how you can get different scenes depending on your actions.

For example, after you get the stone from your father you can talk to Kiefer and have him join you, or you can go straight to the temple, your friends will then show up asking why you came alone.

-the game looks beautiful
-the world is charming
-no random encounters
-battles are fast
-music is beautiful
-well written characters

What is there not to like? Fantastic game.

I really like how you can get different scenes depending on your actions.

For example, after you get the stone from your father you can talk to Kiefer and have him join you, or you can go straight to the temple, your friends will then show up asking why you came alone.

Yeah I totally forgot to go to the castle and tell Kiefer about the fragment and went to the shrine. I felt kind of bad when they showed up but he was pretty forgiving.

yeah man I'm so done with this kinda stuff in games lol. I only care about exposition in visual novels or games with minimal input but lots of reading only like Ace Attorney or Zero Escape now.

damn, I didn't even know Kiefer has a sister or Maribel's the daughter of the mayor. There was a mayor in the MC's hometown? and then I got back to town and there's this dude I ain't seen before sleeping in MC's parent's bed. I think I read that he's MC's uncle and he's the same dude Kiefer stole that burning orb from. aight. btw I'm not complaining that I wasn't told this info because really, I decided not to sought this info out. I don't talk to NPCs in games anymore unless I'm stuck and they may look like they can point me in the right direction.

Jesus, give me strength.

SuperSah

Banned
Sweet, first island has 'shown up' in the world.

I adore that regardless of what event occurs, NPCs always have something new, interesting or rather useful to add. It's fantastically written and it keeps on giving.

I've said it before, but I'm a massive fan of the story so far text. The third person narrative looking on in the game is marvellous. :)

Aeana

yeah man I'm so done with this kinda stuff in games lol. I only care about exposition in visual novels or games with minimal input but lots of reading only like Ace Attorney or Zero Escape now.

damn, I didn't even know Kiefer has a sister or Maribel's the daughter of the mayor. There was a mayor in the MC's hometown? and then I got back to town and there's this dude I ain't seen before sleeping in MC's parent's bed. I think I read that he's MC's uncle and he's the same dude Kiefer stole that burning orb from. aight. btw I'm not complaining that I wasn't told this info because really, I decided not to sought this info out. I don't talk to NPCs in games anymore unless I'm stuck and they may look like they can point me in the right direction.

You're expected to talk to NPCs in Dragon Quest. You're going to have a hard time if you don't. They would have told you about the hero's layabout uncle, he's mentioned by several townspeople. You're also going to get a lot of clues from townspeople in general.

That doesn't mean you have to talk to the same people over and over again, but at least a once-through in each new town is extremely beneficial.

Finished the second island and it's pretty damn great ao far. Loving the characters and all the work that went into creating an interesting world.

The only issue I have so far is that the menu feels a little sluggish. Was that the same in the Japanese release?

If she could hit the broad-side of a barn for a weapon dice that isn't a coin she'd earn her right to mouth off. As is I took the bamboo pole I gave her to Keither who is Prince of the Adventure Bros and never looked back as he proceeded to murder everything and be best bros with MC.

Speaking of, I didn't find her before the first fight. Where is she?

She's a spell caster.

wrowa

I can understand that sentiment, since talking to NPCs has become a huge waste of time in most RPGs by now. This isn't the case in DQ, though, so do yourself a favor and speak to people. Otherwise you'll miss out on a lot of the little details that make this game great in the first place.

Reknoc

Oof really don't like what they did with the opening segment. The puzzle stuff was cool, a sort of tomb raidery feel.

Was surprised by the speed boost you get on the overworld, as soon as I pushed foward I was like "woah chill out Sonic". Also surprised by how bad the camera can be.

ZeroX03

Banned
Um so I've played for an hour, and nothing's happened. Thing I'll go back to Ace Attorney and finish that first.

No real opinion on the game, except I liked the bit of dialogue where the soldiers reason with the prince about their jobs instead of just brute forcing. It's cute.

SuperSah

Banned
Um so I've played for an hour, and nothing's happened. Thing I'll go back to Ace Attorney and finish that first.

No real opinion on the game, except I liked the bit of dialogue where the soldiers reason with the prince about their jobs instead of just brute forcing. It's cute.

Keep going. It'll all happen by your second hour.

Neoweee

There's no way to increase the text speed, is there?

I don't know it is. Is text getting slower in the series, or am I just used to games that have basic QOL issues? I thought 9's was bad, but not this bad, and I recall the mobile parts having substantially increased text speed.

SuperSah

Banned
There's no way to increase the text speed, is there?

I don't know it is. Is text getting slower in the series, or am I just used to games that have basic QOL issues? I thought 9's was bad, but not this bad, and I recall the mobile parts having substantially increased text speed.

In settings you can speed up battle text, though I'm not sure if this also speeds up field text.

Well, the boss fight of the game was sorta silly for me. My guest character assessed the situation most of the time, but both times he attacked he critical hit for 150 damage.

Small annoyance, but the menus feel more sluggish than the DS games. Like there's a delay when I click something.

Game is OK so far, and I can't believe I forgot
to use the wooden doll in battle
. Argh.

Neoweee

In settings you can speed up battle text, though I'm not sure if this also speeds up field text.

It does not. It's like every other DQ in this regard. Why do battles have QOL options, but not the bulk of the game? I don't get it =(

Looking at videos, its like half the speed of the Japanese version.

Small annoyance, but the menus feel more sluggish than the DS games. Like there's a delay when I click something.

Game is OK so far, and I can't believe I forgot
to use the wooden doll in battle
. Argh.

That's definitely compounding my frustrations.

I'm definitely just going to return the game now rather than sticking it out. The mobile version will probably be an improvement.

Velcro Fly

Breaking pots and barrels and looting everyone's wardrobe and dresser for stuff.

I feel bad I stole the old couple's seed of resilience in the first 5 minutes of the game though.

It truly is one of the simple joys of Dragon Quest to scrounge for as much stuff as you can before you actually set off on your adventure.

Lothar

Banned
JebaćBiedę;217159689 said:
-the game looks beautiful
-the world is charming
-no random encounters
-battles are fast
-music is beautiful
-well written characters

- no hard penalty game over for death
- characters react to NPCs and you can get their thoughts on anything that happens
- challenging (unless they changed it from PS1)

DaddyDonuts

Neo Member
I'm about an hour and a half in and loving this so far. No battles yet, but just exploring and talking to people is a great time. I love the layout of Estard Castle and the island itself. Just got to
open the door to the ruins with Prince Keifer
. The writing is so good. I love the changes to dialogue as you do different things, it makes the towns seem more alive than, say, DQIV (which I just finished).

Having a bunch of people talk about Uncle Pike in the way that they do before you meet him feels like the setup to a joke - the punchline coming when you actually meet him or stumble into his house strewn with liquor bottles and spider webs.

There's just so much to love already.

I think I'm just going to go ahead and pick this up. I don't want it to be difficult to find in a couple months when I'll actually have time to play...

I was able to grab the last copy of Dragon Quest IX at my local GameStop. Not very far into it (also playing Trails of Heros: Cold Steel I), but I can see that I'm going to like it. I love RPGs, but I'm seriously glad I finally got over my dislike of turn based fighting. I missed SO much.

Question: Should I go back and also grab IV - VI?

I think I'm just going to go ahead and pick this up. I don't want it to be difficult to find in a couple months when I'll actually have time to play...

I was able to grab the last copy of Dragon Quest IX at my local GameStop. Not very far into it (also playing Trails of Heros: Cold Steel I), but I can see that I'm going to like it. I love RPGs, but I'm seriously glad I finally got over my dislike of turn based fighting. I missed SO much.

4 is really good, but 5 is fantastic (a must play IMO.) 6 can be a hit or miss, but personally I enjoyed it a lot and didn't know it was disliked by some way after I beat it.

DaddyDonuts

Neo Member

V is especially great. Up there with Earthbound and Chrono Trigger.

Top Bottom