• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Maribel is my favorite Dragon Quest character. A sorta tom boy who is sorta girlish, but extremely bratty and spoiled, with a hint of sass and an adventurers spirit topped with a heart of gold.

That's my Maribel.

Hard to beat Jessica for me, but I think Maribelle is tied for second.

Daouzin

This game is so quaint and beautiful. I never played the original but I'm feeling like a kid again.

This makes me so happy to hear, like 4 of my close friends are getting it just because of how much I've talked about it over the years, so I'm hoping they like it and get the same feeling you have.

Gestahl

Maribel's great because she treats the MC like shit constantly but reading between the lines of every insult you get the sense that
she has their marriage and lives all planned out in her head already and she just doesn't want him fucking her plans for their future up

It's like a level beyond tsun

The intro does a great job of establishing the worldview and the characters' drive to discover something more, and to go on an adventure. The puzzle part changes are stupid, but everything leading up to that is absolutely necessary for the game to work as well as it does. I mean I guess it could have just been a long series of dialog scenes that last 2 hours like The Best RPG Ever, Persona 4, but that's not Dragon Quest.

This is my first time with dq7 only finished the dungeon about the green stone so far. Although I found the beginning slow I really enjoyed it, don't think an rpg has ever let me explore without battles before. It establish well that they live in peace and the Prince and hero are adventure seekers who think something is wrong. I think some games rush the intro and forget the work building aspect to get to the battles,so liked this approach

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah the intro felt pretty slow but I appreciate what they did with it. Really made it obvious the differences and how peaceful things were once the intro is over

ohlawd

yeah man I'm so done with this kinda stuff in games lol. I only care about exposition in visual novels or games with minimal input but lots of reading only like Ace Attorney or Zero Escape now.

damn, I didn't even know Kiefer has a sister or Maribel's the daughter of the mayor. There was a mayor in the MC's hometown? and then I got back to town and there's this dude I ain't seen before sleeping in MC's parent's bed. I think I read that he's MC's uncle and he's the same dude Kiefer stole that burning orb from. aight. btw I'm not complaining that I wasn't told this info because really, I decided not to sought this info out. I don't talk to NPCs in games anymore unless I'm stuck and they may look like they can point me in the right direction.

Pancake Mix

This is my first time with dq7 only finished the dungeon about the green stone so far. Although I found the beginning slow I really enjoyed it, don't think an rpg has ever let me explore without battles before. It establish well that they live in peace and the Prince and hero are adventure seekers who think something is wrong. I think some games rush the intro and forget the work building aspect to get to the battles,so liked this approach

Yeah, I REALLY liked the intro. Good point about it being an RPG that lets you explore without battles or any combat. Really points out the differences between the past on other islands and the present. It just works.

Some of the best world building I've ever experienced in an RPG. Only FFVII, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Xenoblade Chronicles X had a better opening for me, and for different reasons.

Mattius14

Neo Member
I also enjoy Maribel as a character, but holy hell does she waste magic like a MOFO. "Fight Wisely" should include not being wasteful, not casting "Bang" until she runs out of MP.

Just had to get that off my chest, I guess...

Carry on.

Pancake Mix

I also enjoy Maribel as a character, but holy hell does she waste mana like a MOFO. "Fight Wisely" should include not being wasteful, not casting "Bang" until she runs out of MP.

Carry on.

Yeah, I just set her not to use magic period when I don't command her. Fight Wisely just makes her defend sometimes too but not cool off on her MP use.

Daouzin

Maribel's great because she treats the MC like shit constantly but reading between the lines of every insult you get the sense that
she has their marriage and lives all planned out in her head already and she just doesn't want him fucking her plans for their future up

Hahaha, definitely.

yeah man I'm so done with this kinda stuff in games lol. I only care about exposition in visual novels or games with minimal input but lots of reading only like Ace Attorney or Zero Escape now.

damn, I didn't even know Kiefer has a sister or Maribel's the daughter of the mayor. There was a mayor in the MC's hometown? and then I got back to town and there's this dude I ain't seen before sleeping in MC's parent's bed. I think I read that he's MC's uncle and he's the same dude Kiefer stole that burning orb from. aight. btw I'm not complaining that I wasn't told this info because really, I decided not to sought this info out. I don't talk to NPCs in games anymore unless I'm stuck and they may look like they can point me in the right direction.

This game might not be for you. If you enjoy it tho, that's awesome. But a lot of the game is about each town and how they change over time. Each village has it's own identify and the NPCs help with that. DQ VII original is actually the first game that got me to care about NPCs, then I got spoiled by it because no other game/series had NPCs that mattered. So now I pretty much only care about NPCs in DQ games. Or in games that aren't part of a series. "Tales of" games always have really bad NPCs.

DQ NPCs really make the world come to life.

I'm playing the digital version since that was available first. UPS came today and spouse promptly stole the physical copy. This is fine, I'll just ignore the fact they couldn't get past the Slimes in Dragon Quest IX and hope for the best.

Since we're talking about the opening, I really didn't like the way the Ancient Fain was truncated either. However, I'm finding that it did serve a purpose. I used to dread trekking around and talking to evey single pedestal to figure out where I'm going next. For the sake of that being gone now, I'm almost warming up to that dumb fairy.

aravuus

Intro wasn't particularly good or particularly bad imho. Did its job, but it could've been 30 minutes shorter and it wouldn't have made a difference.

I also enjoy Maribel as a character, but holy hell does she waste magic like a MOFO. "Fight Wisely" should include not being wasteful, not casting "Bang" until she runs out of MP.

Carry on.

This only proves how dumb Maribel truly is!

I have her on "don't use magic" only when I'm trying to get through hordes of enemies to a boss fight that has no recovery point right before it. Otherwise I'll just let her go nuts, her Banging around has so far ended every single trash mob fight in one round.

Mattius14

Neo Member
This only proves how dumb Maribel truly is!

I have her on "don't use magic" only when I'm trying to get through hordes of enemies to a boss fight that has no recovery point right before it. Otherwise I'll just let her go nuts, her Banging around has so far ended every single trash mob fight in one round.

It kinda does make me realize how much of a slut she really is, she won't stop 'Banging' everyone. Now I hate her. GO TO HELL, MAR-I-BELLLLL!!!!

Naw, she's alright. The World needs sluts too. YAY SLUTS!

...back to grinding. Damnit, now everything is sexy.

Mr. RPG

I just finished the first battle a little while ago.

I'm really disappointed with what they have done to the opening to this game. I'm sad that they didn't recreate the opening FMV as a cut scene with Morning in Eden (one of the best songs in the entire game). It would have looked great in 3D. :(

Probably the worst change that they made was the removal of the puzzles in the ruins. They removed pretty much everything in the first dungeon. :(

I definitely agree with most of what has been said here about the game's intro. I think we can all agree it was made worse in the remake.

I'm still enjoying the game, but I'm also a bit disappointed at the same time. :( The introduction to this game is very important to me. It is one of the most unique aspects of the game and a lot of what made it so unique is gone in the remake.

The rest of the game should be almost identical to the original game, so at least there is that to look forward to. :p

Maribel is the best.

That feeling when you get a game you've wanted for years but are too tired to finish the intro. Sure sucks this took so long to localize but definitely loving the atmosphere and art design I've seen so far.

I can't wait to dive into it on my next day off!

Karu

Oh my first impression of Maribel was... NOPE NOPE NOPE. Her little worried bit when everybody else was sleeping turned me around a bit to not dismiss her outright though.

i also dismissed Bang first time, but then I tried it out once.... woooooosh.

Oh my first impression of Maribel was... NOPE NOPE NOPE. Her little worried bit when everybody else was sleeping turned me around a bit to not dismiss her outright though.

i also dismissed Bang first time, but then I tried it out once.... woooooosh.

Bang is very good. Woosh is later in the game, though. ;)

I love Maribel. She's one of my favorite DQ ladies, even though I hate tsundere characters in general.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm about 4 hours in right now, so some impressions.

- Really like the world building. Like the Princess having a lisp, the drunk uncle who got a free house to live in and the Old Hermit who is both knowledgeable and lazy. I also like that your character has an in-universe personality/characteristics instead of just being this blank slate
- The game, at least so far, seems easier than most DQ games, although money is a bit tight
- First Boss Spoilers:
I'm not sure I can beat Meave without the Doll, but at least there's a perception of an option
- I felt the intro/opening was a bit too back-and-forth. It feels like it could've been done in 15 minutes. I don't know how it played out in the original, but it seems a bit padded to me.

I really like the game so far, especially the visuals coming from the DS DQ games. It looks so much more...full, graphically, if that makes sense.

Conan-san

Maribel is my favorite Dragon Quest character. A sorta tom boy who is sorta girlish, but extremely bratty and spoiled, with a hint of sass and an adventurers spirit topped with a heart of gold.

That's my Maribel.

If she could hit the broad-side of a barn for a weapon dice that isn't a coin she'd earn her right to mouth off. As is I took the bamboo pole I gave her to Keither who is Prince of the Adventure Bros and never looked back as he proceeded to murder everything and be best bros with MC.

I'm about 4 hours in right now, so some impressions.

- Really like the world building. Like the Princess having a lisp, the drunk uncle who got a free house to live in and the Old Hermit who is both knowledgeable and lazy. I also like that your character has an in-universe personality/characteristics instead of just being this blank slate
Speaking of, I didn't find her before the first fight. Where is she?

Krammy

I watched a review that said the tree pop in could be because the on screen enemies killing the 3DS for resources. That's what he thinks anyway.

Is this an 8-4 joint? Becasue they translated some of, if not all the previous DS DQ games and included all the "thus thou" speech and heavy accents as well.

Yeah, that's about what I expected for the pop-in. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

No idea about 8-4, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did the script too, considering the pattern laid out in the previous games.

Finally finished with my exam, so I've had some time to dive into the prologue! Despite my very limited experience with the Dragon Quest franchise, there's something really nostalgic about the experience thus far... I've got a feeling this game is going to be special.

Dragon Quest is mostly about being homely and trying to understand a story via it's characters. It doesn't have big involving cutscenes or anything of the sorts, a lot of it's charm is just wandering around and talking to NPCs, seeing their history. I'd say DQ7 is even heavier on this than other DQ games, so yeah, it might just not be for you honestly, you basically lose the entire game this way

Probably the worst change that they made was the removal of the puzzles in the ruins. They removed pretty much everything in the first dungeon. :(

I never played the original, but somehow I figured those dumb floor switch puzzles weren't there. That's a really lame change, even if it saves time

SuperSah

Banned
What's the purpose of horse manure? I clicked use and it said my character 'grabs a handful of horse manure and squishes it!'.

I'm crying

Been too long since I first started this game back in the day. Completely forgot where the prince went after dropping of the ancient text.

Ended up using the quick guide tht Nintendo put up to keep going. The intro feels so different with the little changes they made. The whole fragment room is really different. Rapidly approaching the point where I will get into fights.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I learnt there's an Emmerdale fan on the translation team.

I've reached a village called Emberdale.

magnetic

Now I'm a bit sad, because I'm also looking forward to DQVIII, but comparing the characters I don't like those from VIII at all, except Yangus.

The team in VII is so quirky and likeable, easily my favorite DQ characters so far.

Akira Toriyama characters tend to all run together in my head, that's why I'm so pleasantly surprised by these ones.

Well I learnt there's an Emmerdale fan on the translation team.

I've reached a village called Emberdale.

That's a UK series, right? When I visited Edinburgh for a few days it was on the hotel TV and for some reason I remember that name.

Spent 8 hours with this game yesterday. Some of the changes rattled me a little bit, but man, now I remember why this game is my favorite DQ of all time. The characters are endearing, the story is engrossing, and the script is masterful at creating an atmosphere of childlike wonder.

Also, dopey heroes are my weakness. Maribelle really lays into the MC--her comments make him the most fleshed out of all the heroes. To me, this is the Chrono Trigger sequal we never got.

Daouzin

Spent 8 hours with this game yesterday. Some of the changes rattled me a little bit, but man, now I remember why this game is my favorite DQ of all time. The characters are endearing, the story is engrossing, and the script is masterful at creating an atmosphere of childlike wonder.

100% agreed.

Just finished the Emberdale arc and I'm really feeling it now. I do wish the start was handled better tho. Not so much for me, but for the people I'm introducing it to. I think a lot of RPGs have gotten people to think that NPCs suck and never say anything valuable, so it's just a matter of, if the NPCs can win these people over and if these people can give actually go around talking to them.

aravuus

11 hours in and going by the short guide SE has for the beginning of the game, I'm like halfway there to unlocking the job system.

Damn. It's such a major element of the game that I do wish you'd get it a bit sooner. Otherwise I'm really enjoying the game.

Boo, they removed the puzzles from the gem mine. I liked those puzzles.

Edit: Never mind. For some reason I remembered them showing up earlier. Maybe they just reduced the puzzle count?

magnetic

# DQproblems

- accidentally running up and down the same stairs three times in a row

- getting into battles and not remembering which direction you were going

- teleporting to towns but not remembering which town had what name

11 hours in and going by the short guide SE has for the beginning of the game, I'm like halfway there to unlocking the job system.

Damn. It's such a major element of the game that I do wish you'd get it a bit sooner. Otherwise I'm really enjoying the game.

Yeah, I'm rushing a bit too much through this game because I really want to check out all the vocations. I would otherwise enjoy exploring more, but I want to get to it ASAP.

What's the purpose of horse manure? I clicked use and it said my character 'grabs a handful of horse manure and squishes it!'.

I'm crying

Ha! Are you a newcomer to the DQ series? Don't worry, you are not the first to ask. Everyone asks this question when they run into this item for the first time. It's useless for most DQ games except DQ8.

SuperSah

Banned
Ha! Are you a newcomer to the DQ series? Don't worry, you are not the first to ask. Everyone asks this question when they run into this item for the first time. It's useless for most DQ games except DQ8.

Not a newcomer per se. I've played DQIX before but yeah, this always confused me. :p

Karu

# DQproblems

- teleporting to towns but not remembering which town had what name
Switiching languages mid-game made this a special problem for me, heh.

The perspective can be a problem with changing floors, but generally I love the magnet-stairs.

Slaythe

Emergency question answer fast pls.

If you die is it game over or just KO ?

I'm in a deadly spot and haven't saved in 3 hours ..

There is not a strategy guide for this game right (outside of the old dragon warrior VII one from back in the day)?

I have strat guides for every other DQ game (including DW7) so it bothers me to be "missing" one...

Top Bottom