• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

piggychan

FUCKING HELL

I just spent an ENTIRE HOUR looking for a "dungeon" in a castle (not naming stuff to not spoil anything). After a lot of running around I come across this door:

EDIT
I kinda spent that amount of time at Regenstein looking for something hidden next to a tree and I was constantly pressing the button at all the wrong places

rpmurphy

So about the herb island history, am I right that
Herbie remained unmarried but founded the new town, and Lavender and Carraway reunited and lived up where the convent is now?

You guys are monsters.
That's one of the most emotional storylines in the game for me.
I have to agree.

tumblr_o7t1yxlQSL1qk6h39o1_1280.png

edit:
the robot is called diva in the italian version, and I guess it's probably different in the others... ?

Zekes!

I happened to be out today and ended up picking up a copy from Best Buy even though I have one coming from them that I ordered online. Didn't think I'd have time to grab it this weekend, which is why I ordered it, but the impatientness kicked in when I left the house and knew I was gonna be near somewhere to grab it.

Excited to start playing in a little bit.

So about the herb island history, am I right that
Herbie remained unmarried but founded the new town, and Lavender and Carraway reunited and lived up where the convent is now?
You're wrong on all counts, I'm afraid.

This one ends very sadly, you'll get a chance to catch up with all of them about 20 years in the "future" from your initial jaunt there after you take care of a Clock Tower.

clem84

Gold Member
I'm on vacation now and won't get to play this until oct. 2nd but it warms my heart to finally see a DQ7 OT on neogaf.

magnetic

I'm almost at Alltrades and I really wish they would put such an important gameplay mechanic earlier in the game. I'm at 14 hours now and half of the playtime I was impatiently pressing forward.

I was still enjoying it, but I always had this feeling of "I haven't gotten to the good part yet" in the back of my head.

stuminus3

Uh, I think my game is bugged, trying to complete the first set of red fragments. I should have 3 red ones but I have 2 red and 2 green.

I got the following:

1 from the guy in 'present' Ballymolly
1 from the Rainbow mines
1 from the raft guy under the castle

Those should all be red, right?

The party chat insists I have enough to complete a tile but I don't. The quick start guide says I got everything I need. No idea what's gone wrong.

Aeana

Uh, I think my game is bugged, trying to complete the first set of red fragments. I should have 3 red ones but I have 2 red and 2 green.

I got the following:

1 from the guy in 'present' Ballymolly
1 from the Rainbow mines
1 from the raft guy under the castle

Those should all be red, right?

The party chat insists I have enough to complete a tile but I don't. The quick start guide says I got everything I need. No idea what's gone wrong.

Did you try using the menu option that tells you where you can find shards?

It feels like the people making the dungeons didn't realize they were gonna be using symbol encounters. I was kind of hoping Holy Water would just, like, prevent weak enemies from spawning at all, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Aeana

how do monster munchies work? do I just carry them or use them in battle?

not understanding

Just by having them, monsters will occasionally want to come with you. You don't do anything special.

It feels like the people making the dungeons didn't realize they were gonna be using symbol encounters. I was kind of hoping Holy Water would just, like, prevent weak enemies from spawning at all, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Well, they didn't. The dungeons were made 16 years ago, and the game didn't have visible encounters.

Well, they didn't. The dungeons were made 16 years ago, and the game didn't have visible encounters.

Yes but sometimes it would be wise to adjust things to suit new gameplay features you've added. I'm saying, specifically, the people working on the 3DS version should have said "Hey, if we have symbol encounters we should probably make sure these maps are wide enough to avoid them"

alf717

Whoa it say on Amazon "Usually ships within 1 to 2 months" hope the game is doing well. Maybe I'll get some more playtime in this week. I stopped when I got to the castle. I like the way it looks and the music isn't bad at all. I guess I thought the orchestrated stuff would be a huge loss.

mstevens

Got this today. I've only played DQ 1 and 2. Going to go through this with minimal guides I think. Hopefully I won't miss too much! I heard that later on we get class changes.. Are those permanent and is there a certain combo I should go for?

Aeana

Got this today. I've only played DQ 1 and 2. Going to go through this with minimal guides I think. Hopefully I won't miss too much! I heard that later on we get class changes.. Are those permanent and is there a certain combo I should go for?

Once you unlock the class change system, you can change whenever you like.

stuminus3

Did you try using the menu option that tells you where you can find shards?
Aha! Apparently I missed what needed way back in the
Ballymolly past tower
. Didn't even notice the menu option until you mentioned it. Silly me. Thanks!

Got it today and have played it for about an hour or so, gotten a few battles in. Definitely have enjoyed the game so far as my first DQ (besides playing a little of Rocket Slime on DS) and makes me interested in more of the series. Will most likely get DQVIII 3DS when it comes out next year.

NolbertoS

Hey Aeana, can't recall the new class system, so can your characters keep te spells rhey learnt or do they lose all the spell they learnt if they master different classes. One of the things I loved about rhe original DQVII was the abundant classes and mastering all classes and spells. It atill works tge same right if you can learn advanced classes, once you master some classes??

Eusis

Got it today and have played it for about an hour or so, gotten a few battles in. Definitely have enjoyed the game so far as my first DQ (besides playing a little of Rocket Slime on DS) and makes me interested in more of the series. Will most likely get DQVIII 3DS when it comes out next year.
If you have a PS2/BC PS3 and don't mind playing there it might be better to go try to get that version. Still, it's one of the favorites of people and until XI comes out will be the best looking traditional entry, and with the kind of overworld I'd been wishing for since Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast.

If you have a PS2/BC PS3 and don't mind playing there it might be better to go try to get that version. Still, it's one of the favorites of people and until XI comes out will be the best looking traditional entry, and with the kind of overworld I'd been wishing for since Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast.
Don't follow this guy's advice. DQ8 has some of the slowest battles of any RPG I've ever played--they fixed this in the 3DS version.

Aeana

What's different between the old and new job systems? Am I able to mix and match abilities that I acquire from one job to another?

In the remake, basic class abilities are learned permanently just like in the original. However, advanced class abilities are not learned permanently and can only be used on those classes. To make monster classes more attractive, they gave them a lot of the advanced class abilities, and if you learn them on the monster classes, then you can have them permanently.

And they also reduced the number of battles it takes to level up classes across the board, quite significantly.

Taking my sweet time this weekend. Just got ruff. I understand that for many the intro was slow but the music, dialog and world is just so magical.

Thread makes me so happy. I did that contest because I'm convinced this remake is the best DQ and that non-fans would love it if they gave it a chance. And here we are, with so many people singing its praises! I was worried maybe it'd be too episodic and vignette focused for non fans. I was thinking people would be bitching about grinding. Never in my time on Gaf have I ever seen such a positive DQ thread and I'm so happy everyone is loving it. Just got to the animal village myself! Have we reached a new era of DQ fandom in the west?! I hope so.

Velcro Fly

Guessing it is safe to just ignore the tablet stuff until I can change jobs? I'm still not far enough to activate streetpass I don't think. I did some random dungeon with low level monsters and killed the boss and got the seed item that boosts style. I did the Download Bar stuff and got the tablets Square Enix already put up. Still not 100% sure on how this works yet.

Aeana

Guessing it is safe to just ignore the tablet stuff until I can change jobs? I'm still not far enough to activate streetpass I don't think. I did some random dungeon with low level monsters and killed the boss and got the seed item that boosts style. I did the Download Bar stuff and got the tablets Square Enix already put up. Still not 100% sure on how this works yet.

You can set up streetpass right now. Take the teleporter by the traveler's tablet plinth and talk to the guy in the house.

In the volcano,
could I have used the water my uncle gave me on the boss?
I kind of hate the way the inventory works in this series.

Edit: Oh nevermind it was for after. Maybe I wasn't expected to have it yet.

Makonero

I've been quite enjoying this the last few days. It's my second DQ game after 9, and it actually reminds me of that game a lot in how it's structured (lots of little storylines that make the game feel like a tv show instead of a movie). Really enjoying the characters and everything so far. The enemies are my favorite.

The Glowering Inferno is my favorite pun thus far!

Mr. RPG

Can I ignore the Haven? Or is it essential?

I don't like what they've done to it in the remake. I really liked the old system better. :(

Last night, I spent a while following the in-game hint regarding L'Arc that
someone on the first island talks to animals, without having success with who it obviously was, since I needed to do more in L'Arc first. Thanks bug guy.
The hint became available too soon.

Excuse my ignorance, but is there a way to avoid or cure being dazzled. I am getting rekt by these monsters blowing sand at my whole party in the
Volcano

Vitacat

If anyone is interested, I just read that homebrewers have successfully hacked the OST into the US version of the game. I haven't tried it myself, but that was pretty fast.

NolbertoS

If anyone is interested, I just read that homebrewers have successfully hacked the OST into the US version of the game. I haven't tried it myself, but that was pretty fast.

You know I barely see any significant differences between midi and the OST. It's not like the midi is playing 8bit gaming, it's pretty close to the OST as I own the OST CD. Thought Nintendo and SE did a pretty good job of making it as close to the OST.

Eusis

Don't follow this guy's advice. DQ8 has some of the slowest battles of any RPG I've ever played--they fixed this in the 3DS version.
Ohhh, they did? I wouldn't say they were THAT bad but anything to speed up battles is usually a godsend and it kind of is where DQVIII failed relative to other DQs.

Just finished the
volcano
section. This game is awesome loving the self contained stories so far. Just about to go to the next one now hopefully it's just as good as the previous 2 :)

Vitacat

You know I barely see any significant differences between midi and the OST. It's not like the midi is playing 8bit gaming, it's pretty close to the OST as I own the OST CD. Thought Nintendo and SE did a pretty good job of making it as close to the OST.
I'm sure you're right, but I know some people were pretty upset over the loss of OST. So at least now there is an option of sorts.

So, what does the style attribute do?

There is a fashion show contest later in the game. You need high style in order win it.

THOUGH, and I may be remembering this wrong, so Aeana and Cindi or anyone else, feel free to call me out.... I think high style may cause monsters to become stunned. I don't remember.

Top Bottom