• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

I wouldn't say the island is just "there" at all. It's still emotional and unsettling. You only think it's just there because you've played the original. Many in this thread playing for the first time find it very sad. Personally I don't really mind and can understand why they cut it. The other stories just aren't as important. It's still one of the best parts of any DQ game, remake or original, doesn't matter.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That boss was one of the few that actually got heavily nerfed in the remake. In the original version, the cave he is in has an anti-magic barrier in it, which means that you cannot use spells at all. But Maribel also used to have an ability called imitate that would basically mimic any attack that hit her, which made that boss a lot easier if you knew to use it.

Interesting. Found the boss rather easy since it was susceptible to sleep.

R0ckman

Present island story for the robot island is insanely lame.

Why the hell would Autonymos's decendant Ambrose or whatever his name is leave his ancestors bones on the bed and in such a pathetic scene for "eternity" under some deluded claim of decency? It's hypocritical. Give the man a proper burial you moron!

Why the hell would Autonymos's decendant Ambrose or whatever his name is leave his ancestors bones on the bed and in such a pathetic scene for "eternity" under some deluded claim of decency? It's hypocritical. Give the man a proper burial you moron!

Yea... I thought that whole story of the present day Faraday was really lame.

rpmurphy

Agreed. That part of the story would have been better to me if it was simplified and more subtle about it. Like
Autonymous's home and history being long forgotten and the area rumored to be haunted, the player knowing about it would visit and see ELLIE still trying to revitalize the corpse, the kingdom trying to pursue mechanical technology after discovering the ancient roomba... all that is fine but perhaps Ambrose should be like he doesn't know anything about that side of his family history but that he just has a knack for tinkering.

I wonder though if the Captain ended up marrying the lass in Frobisher. lol

Aeana

Yea... I thought that whole story of the present day Faraday was really lame.

You guys are monsters.
That's one of the most emotional storylines in the game for me.

Karu

You guys are monsters.
Totally agree with you here. The present day was an amazingly sad pay off. I liked the island in general. I also don't mind the pacing issues at all here although that is usually one of my biggest gripes with video games in general, as it incentives revisiting locals during the story and not only as a clean up effort after the fact.

Kinsei

Banned
Is there any way to increase the odds of taming a monster. I've been farming King Fuchsias for a while now and I'm scared I'll end up overleveled.

R0ckman

I'm not sure if this is spoilers since its not important to the overall plot but I'll tag it, its a question.

Did I miss something in the Dill, Lavender, Carraway story? I only have a loose idea from the present after he left the old Garden, he formed a new one but they are both burried at the convent. I tried to look for things that give more details but didnt find anything. A man in the new town says he was a bachelor his whole life so I'm wondering if Lavendar fled to look for him despite being married to Dill and was punished by being burried at the edge of the mountain with Carraway?

I'm not sure if this is spoilers since its not important to the overall plot but I'll tag it, its a question.

Did I miss something in the Dill, Lavender, Carraway story? I only have a loose idea from the present after he left the old Garden, he formed a new one but they are both burried at the convent. I tried to look for things that give more details but didnt find anything. A man in the new town says he was a bachelor his whole life so I'm wondering if Lavendar fled to look for him despite being married to Dill and was punished by being burried at the edge of the mountain with Carraway?

You didn't miss anything yet. Just keep playing to learn more.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I was really annoyed because the game kept telling me I should be able to open up a new area with my fragments even though I had entered them all and nothing unlocked. I messed around with it for awhile thinking I was missing something. It turned out I had to go to a tower for another piece first. The game shouldn't be so inconsistent in its guidance.

Why can't i call my character with my own name "Florian".
I can use "FLORIAN" but not "Florian". The game didn't accept that at the start. (french version)
Is there already a character in the game with this name ?

It's the first time it's happening to me in a game.
Grrrr, i hate caps for my character's name.

Florin? There's a character named Florin in the English version perhaps it's Florian in French trans.

Raw64life

Just got Gabo at the 8 hour mark. Not a fan of the new name they gave him.

Also, holding a 3DS for several hours a day is starting to take it's toll on me. Same thing happened when I got Smash 3DS. The menus are a bit of a pain. There's a clear delay on the inputs and if you press 2 inputs too fast only 1 will register.

Still thoroughly enjoying the game though.

androvsky

You guys are monsters.
That story affected me so much when my wife played the original I didn't want to play it. She's reading these responses and wondering if the translation got hosed for that section somehow.

Gestahl

That story affected me so much when my wife played the original I didn't want to play it. She's reading these responses and wondering if the translation got hosed for that section somehow.

It was real hokey in Japanese when I played it too. Though returning far later in the game and
finding her permanently shut down over his corpse was far more emotional than every NPC just harping on and on about how awful they were for taking this supposedly "alive" robot away from what many would interpret as a living hell, honestly should have just went with that final bit I mentioned first and truncated most of the present storyline into something less preachy.

Dsyndrome

Where the heck is this poet slime in Pilchard Bay? It's probably in some obvious location, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Heropon

Boomerangs are always worth it in any DQ game.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but it still hurts that I can't upgrade any other gear because of this.

I've got two of those, one for the hero, the other one for Ruff.

They're amazing.

Sigh, still 2300 gold to go if I want another. Maybe I could farm slime hearts to get the gold or just continue playing.

aravuus

Sigh, still 2300 gold to go if I want another. Maybe I could farm slime hearts to get the gold or just continue playing.

I'd say skip grinding for now. The next couple of hours are pretty easy even without two boomerangs.

You can always grind for gold if you get stuck.

aravuus

Man, leaving
Kiefer behind and almost immediately finding his grave in the present
hit me harder than I expected :(

On the other hand - finally talk of Alltrades Abbey!

Eusis

Edit: Oh right, I forgot they changed the names for those places. I'm so used to what they were called before. :p
Older ones were easier to remember too. Well, Rexwood is anyway, Emberdale is alright.

And it's still exasperating to me, but isn't bothering me as much since it doesn't come off as blatantly shoving puns wherever so far, some of the original names were too conspicuously Japanese, and stuff like Hank is frankly kind of bland.

EDIT: Also a good chunk seem like stylistic reinterpretations of the original names, like Melvin to Mervyn.

Cob32

Any tips for second encounter with those
2 enemies after rescuing the high priestess? The pig spams blind until it has maximum effect and then hits my party for around 80 damage and my only method of healing is medicinal herbs or am I missing something?

CrazyHal

*Enters alltrade abbey*

Alright! I finally have access to the vocations!

*Turns out the priest is a fake and he trows you in a prison town*

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

demonkaze

Any tips for second encounter with those
2 enemies after rescuing the high priestess? The pig spams blind until it has maximum effect and then hits my party for around 80 damage and my only method of healing is medicinal herbs or am I missing something?

You should have a Salvation Stone in your inventory, if you do, give it to Maribel and have her on healing duty. It's an infinite Medicinal Herb pretty much.

Lilo_D

Some small question
Is it me that the menu is a little bit lag? I'm using new 3ds XL..
Is there a way to check enemy and our party's buff/debuff stats??

Top Bottom