• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

MoonFrog

How far are you?
Mervyn
has a few solo moments/backstory after they join which I thought was a nice but different take.
I'm on the EG.
Mervyn is characterized a bit as leading the guard on God's tower. His solo section doesn't do much.
The former would be more meaningful if
there were more of a story to those warriors of God, but there really isn't much. A vignette dealing with them and Mervyn in the past would greatly benefit the later part of the story. Getting them back into the sky was a rather limp affair imo. Who are these people? Why are they here? What exactly are they doing? You can answer these questions easier for just about any other group or settlement in the game and it's unfortunate.

playXray

Can anyone help me? I am still only about an hour or so in, but I'm already stuck. I went with Kiefer (I presume this is a reference to Kiefer Sutherland?) to check out a statue, and then came back with a book which I gave to the hermit. I'm not sure where Kiefer is, or what I need to do to find him. What do I need to do now?

MoonFrog

Can anyone help me? I am still only about an hour or so in, but I'm already stuck. I went with Kiefer (I presume this is a reference to Kiefer Sutherland?) to check out a statue, and then came back with a book which I gave to the hermit. I'm not sure where Kiefer is, or what I need to do to find him. What do I need to do now?
Is he in his room at the castle? Or back at the shrine? Iirc, it is the former.

Is he in his room?

In this version he is. I don't think it was so in the original.

Parshias7

I just finished the desert area and am a little confused on what to do next since I may have missed something...

I went to the palace in the present and had the big party. Now a guide for the PS1 version says I should be able to go back to the past and find someone at the river who will take me downstream which is where I'll get the Queen's necklace. Also there's a secret entrance in the palace I'll need to learn the method to enter for a shard. But there's nobody at the river. What am I missing here? I have the shard to go to the next island, but I'd still be missing whatever's left in the desert.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it. I had to go to the Dig Site first.

piggychan

With Shephard you learn Counting Sheep that sends all enemies to sleep with what seems to be a 90% success rate. It's a really useful move.

Well I decided to go ahead and beat the game last night which I did with about 1 death
during all the final boss fights

I did managed to max out shephard in the end and I think in that last dungeon it's successfully sends the enemies to sleep about 70% of the time.

Anyway when you beat the game and save, when you reload it it sends you back at the last save point before the final dungeon. Just about over 120 hours and I need to go back and get the rest of the stuff completed but somehow my left arm/shoulder seems to be cramping possibly because of the way I been holding the 3DS LL for long periods playing this game, I was actually wondering whether this pain was an alarm to say I was going to get an cardiac arrest..... so I gonna take a break before going back in.
There was a lot of people you had to travel around and say goodbye to before it ended..
. >__>

Ladekabel

So I finished the second village where
the people got turned into stones. Went to the present to the monastery and so the two gravestones. Since I changed language from German to English after the event and before the gravestones I looked up the names and as it turns out it is the guy who ran away and the girl who should marry the mayor's son. Then I read something about a second part to the love story. What do I have to do to trigger that?

Oregano

So I finished the second village where
the people got turned into stones. Went to the present to the monastery and so the two gravestones. Since I changed language from German to English after the event and before the gravestones I looked up the names and as it turns out it is the guy who ran away and the girl who should marry the mayor's son. Then I read something about a second part to the love story. What do I have to do to trigger that?

It comes quite a bit later. Don't worry too much for now.

javadoze

So I have 2 monster enclosure plans in my inventory, but the Monster Meadows guy isn't accepting them no matter how much I talk to him (I'm also way past Nottagen and finished all of the tablets).

Do I have to progress further in the story to hand them over?

Oregano

Before or after I finally unlock the class system?

A bit after.

EDIT:

So I have 2 monster enclosure plans in my inventory, but the Monster Meadows guy isn't accepting them no matter how much I talk to him (I'm also way past Nottagen and finished all of the tablets).

I might be mistaken but if you go to the book on the table it will do something.

imjust1n

Banned
This is prob one of the best DQ games and prob the best remake out of all of them and for sure one of the best 3ds games and very far on top of the best rpgs of the system. I recommend getting this. I rate it a 9/10

Lindsay

Dot Hacked

Maybe try just having 1 plan in the heroes inventory and the other in the bag? Do ya have one currently in construction? If so walk on over to Nottagen and sleep at the inn, then walk back and ya oughta be able ta see a new enclosure in the background.

btw Get used to hearing Monty's 5 paragraphs of "blahblahwantaplaceformonstersblahblah" each an every single time ya go in there to turn in enclosure plans. Ya gotta sit through that, then talk to him a second time to get him to recognize the fact that ya got a new plan in hand. Maybe also try standing directly next to him instead of across the table to? I dun think that would be a thing, but this game...

This is prob one of the best DQ games and prob the best remake out of all of them and for sure one of the best 3ds games and very far on top of the best rpgs of the system. I recommend getting this. I rate it a 9/10

Best DQ? Yes
Best Remake? Not sure. It's mostly better. However a few changes are for the worse. DQIV is probably the better remake. DQIII SNES too. But again, this remake is very good

javadoze

Maybe try just having 1 plan in the heroes inventory and the other in the bag? Do ya have one currently in construction? If so walk on over to Nottagen and sleep at the inn, then walk back and ya oughta be able ta see a new enclosure in the background.

btw Get used to hearing Monty's 5 paragraphs of "blahblahwantaplaceformonstersblahblah" each an every single time ya go in there to turn in enclosure plans. Ya gotta sit through that, then talk to him a second time to get him to recognize the fact that ya got a new plan in hand. Maybe also try standing directly next to him instead of across the table to? I dun think that would be a thing, but this game...

Thanks, sleeping at the inn did the trick.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but the part when it's not possible to use magic or abilities is terrible and it's killing my enjoyment of the game. I keep dying beacuse I can't use magic to heal my team and I'm not going to buy random herbs that heal for 30 hp or so. Also the battles are a slog to play since I can only press attack on repetition.
Who thought this was a good idea.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but the part when it's not possible to use magic or abilities is terrible and it's killing my enjoyment of the game. I keep dying beacuse I can't use magic to heal my team and I'm not going to buy random herbs that heal for 30 hp or so. Also the battles are a slog to play since I can only press attack on repetition.

1. Buy med herbs, you won't need them that much, but for bosses and whatnot, or to healup prior. They are dirt cheap and healing helps.

2. Set your team to orders so you only have to command yourself...if they don't have MP it's even easier...

redcrayon

Equip someone with the salvation stone once you've been given it. Set them to focus on healing with the AI. Put your other team members on AI for 'show no mercy'. They'll then use any more powerful abilities that are hidden within their items too, or default to normal attacks, but the battles will be faster as you only need to choose attack for yourself. It's worth looking through your kit every so often to see if any items with inate abilities are there, and check any shops too.

Daouzin

It's definitely a great game, loving it, but I do feel that they made classes way to easy to level and give you abilities that make you OP far too early.

Boss encounters have gotten easy for me again and I find myself avoiding metal slimes right in front of me to keep from getting even more OP.

Enjoying the game. Doing the Alltrades Abbey story.

What is seriously up with the menu slowdown in this game? Are they using a totally different menu system in the English version vs the JP one?

-Picking menu options in battle causes the entire game to slow down.

-Text boxes popping up during scenes with a lot of on screen NPCs cause tons of slowdown (Greenthumb Gardens) which goes back to normal once the text box goes away.

-Images removed of items from shop menus.

-Managing inventory is super sluggish and you sort of have to press the button and wait to be sure not to do anything by accident.

It's really bad! I almost feel like they tried to do a whole new layer or something over the entire game due to being unable to just change the text from JP to English.

I wish they could patch this. The only other thing that bugs me is the battle transition when using 3D hurts my eyes when going from 3D world map->2D transition swirl->3D battle.

Oregano

Nottagen is my roommates favorite section

Just beat the Malign Vine and gone back to the future and it's still ruined... I imagine Wiggles had something to do with it.

Gonna call it a night at this point and continue tomorrow. I'm not back in work until the 17th so I should have finished the game by then. Woohoo!

Megatron

Finally finished all trades abbey! Now time to pick job classes. Warrior for my hero, priest for Maribel, but what for Ruff? Shepard? Is there anywhere to read up on all the classes?

barrin87

I'm finishing up the past events in Providence right now. Does anyone know how much farther it is to get the last character? Was thinking about replacing Maribel with the last character and then turning Mervyn into my mage. I don't want to class grind again until I have a final party.

What was the non sense with the music that everyone all mad again?

The Japanese version had symphonic music. The US version replaced it with synth music from the ios version.

It still sounds really good.

I'm more upset about some changes, like the tower theme being sequential. That's the only example of that though.

MoonFrog

I'm finishing up the past events in Providence right now. Does anyone know how much farther it is to get the last character? Was thinking about replacing Maribel with the last character and then turning Mervyn into my mage. I don't want to class grind again until I have a final party.

After Nottagen and Hubble are both done, Maribel leaves the party (temporarily). You do the last 4 (or so?) remaining altars with Aishe instead.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I just got to
the robot town
. I am having a hard time motivating myself to continue forward. The stories are interesting, but the number of battles paired with the mindless attack attack attack is wearing me thin. I wish I could be grinding job classes as well...

Okay I'm stuck at
Grondel.
I have no idea what I'm supposed to do next.

Saw a cutscene with the guy going mad and smashing everything.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Buccanham past, someone please explain this.
How the hell was I supposed to find the prism dew on my own. I hate having to look things up but I would have literally never found this. Soured me on the game.

I know the original game let you actually walk there or whatever on the main island. And I did get from the hints from the king and his research group that it was rainbow cove on my lsland.

But the blue teleport door? How and why? Someone explain. Hell when did that even open and why is it literally one way, why is that cave's only exit the teleport. If that's true how did the first bottle get filled to fix the volcano?

Andyliini

How long does it actually take until Monster start really appearing at Monster Meadows? I'm at
The flood-story, forgot the tower's name
, and still nothing. I have Traveller's Tablet's though, and have completed some of them. I also have about a dozen recruited monsters.

Daouzin

How long does it actually take until Monster start really appearing at Monster Meadows? I'm at
, and still nothing. I have Traveller's Tablet's though, and habe completed some of them. I also have about a dozen recruited monsters.

Yeah, I'm curious as well, this is exactly where I'm at too.

, and still nothing. I have Traveller's Tablet's though, and have completed some of them. I also have about a dozen recruited monsters.

Yeah, I'm curious as well, this is exactly where I'm at too.

You have to open up the island that Nottagen is on in the Present for the Monster Enclosure NPC to show up and to be able to use your tamed monsters for Tablet hunting.

If your monster does not appear, you either don't have the Enclosure Plan built for that monster (physical appearance in your Monster Meadows), or you didn't talk to the Enclosure Plan NPC after taming it (ability to select the monster from monster-related in game menus).

Curious, were God references all changed to the Goddess? God played a big role in DW7, story and dialogue-wise.

It seems like god is changed to goddess by default probably for sensitive religious reasons, but in games where the actual god comes into play in the story and is clearly not a goddess like 7 and 9, they use Almighty instead.

Not sure why we still have to dance around that stuff in 2016 but whatever

redcrayon

Buccanham past, someone please explain this.
How the hell was I supposed to find the prism dew on my own. I hate having to look things up but I would have literally never found this. Soured me on the game.

I know the original game let you actually walk there or whatever on the main island. And I did get from the hints from the king and his research group that it was rainbow cove on my lsland.

But the blue teleport door? How and why? Someone explain. Hell when did that even open and why is it literally one way, why is that cave's only exit the teleport. If that's true how did the first bottle get filled to fix the volcano?
I thought this was poorly explained too.
The teleport doors are initially locked, and the first two you activate by travelling back through them. You have no reason to assume the blue one is open, nobody tells you, and you can't see it while running through the shrine. Unless you've been checking to see if they are suddenly open yet every single time, which would be counter-intuitive as previously only your actions have been the catalyst for it, you'd have no idea. I got the same hint that rainbow cove was on the island, and had already assumed that's what it was as I'd seen it while sailing around, but spent an hour investigating everything else on the island before finally looking it up.

redcrayon

I'm curious about an endgame item- major spoilers for after all islands have been restored.

I found the Ultimate Key in the basement of the Almighty's Cathedral. That Ultimate Key was then necessary for me to finally get through the gate on the other side of the wind shrine teleporter. What happens if you don't pick up the key when at the Cathedral- you can't get back to it, does the door open regardless or something?

redcrayon

My bad, the water one. Your post wasn't there when I made that.

The wind one just opens automatically at that point, you don't need the key.
Ah, I see, that makes sense, thanks.

If the water one was open at the start I didn't notice. Maybe I tried some of the others, found them locked and didn't check the water one, it was 60 hours ago in game time so can't really remember!

Top Bottom