• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Boney said:
Ok, so I just cleared Zere Rocks, and I went for my first treasure dungeon right away. I'm a bit underleveled because I changed all my clases when I had the chance, not nothing too big.

Didn't have enough trouble with the regular monsters down there, but my god, that boss fight kicked my ass bad!

How much longer do I have to wait to tackle this.. I'm around lvl 18
I got wasted on that same boss!

He seems like a level 30/40 boss, at least, he made quick work of me.

Boney

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
I got wasted on that same boss!

He seems like a level 30/40 boss, at least, he made quick work of me.
Thanks! Yeah.. he's pretty tough, and made me lost ma moneyz

Chairhome

Mejilan said:
It's random per user and changes every day at 8am GMT, if I haven't got my timezone wrong. Some weeks are dedicated to themes. This week's theme was summer items. Last week's theme was alchemy items. The first few days after the game came out there were no themes to the releases, and some people scored crazy shit like a Miracle Sword.
This week is slime week!

==========

As far as Equinox goes (the first treasure map boss), I killed him around lvls 25 or 30...

The treasure maps only give you good loot randomly in treasure chests, right? I haven't gotten anything good yet...

Yaweee

Melhisedek said:
What does action replay do? I mean what cheat should I use?

There's a bunch of really useful "cheats" that help overcome some problems. Mejilan recommended:

- Instant text speed. This applies to pretty much everything-- towns, battles, chests, books/barrels. It drastically improves the overall game speed.
- Only lead character is shown. Members 2~4 will still be in your party, it just won't display them on the map screen, which keeps the framerate stable.
- Manipulating the # of tags the game thinks you've received.

There's also some that basically unlock all of the things you'd have to wait for overtime through the DQVC services, like the quests and cameos that unlock every other week. Some people might like that sort of code, but I think the DQVC update system is pretty cool as is. Just not the tag requirements in a country with about ~10% of the population density of Japan in a game that will sell about 10% as many copies (or less, in all likelihood).

Whatever site or program you'd use with an Action Replay has the codes, which are slightly different between versions of the game. Some of them (like the party member one) are 10+ lines.

I kind of quit playing for a while because I got Dragon... Age, but I turned on the DS yesterday and ended up playing from about 4pm to 2am.

Oxx

My Pokewalker has something approaching 7000 watts sitting on it because I haven't bothered to sync it with Soul Silver since DQ came out.

zigg

Chairhome said:
As far as Equinox goes (the first treasure map boss), I killed him around lvls 25 or 30...

24 isn't enough, or else I'm not good enough :lol I would like to have something to share at the BB event, so I'm trying again in a few more levels, heh.

Chairhome

zigg said:
24 isn't enough, or else I'm not good enough :lol I would like to have something to share at the BB event, so I'm trying again in a few more levels, heh.
I think you should be able to do it in a few more levels, depending on your classes! The next boss is pretty hard, too!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Anyone going to the Best Buy events in Manassas or Fairlakes Virginia? I'm conflicted about going since I promised my family that I'd drive up to PA to see them (2.5-3 hour drive). I planned on leaving at 11:00 but I see the best buy event starts at 12:00. I kind of want to go if by chance there was a way to get the masayuki or kawasaki maps. Of course getting my 30 tags requirement would be also nice. I don't know if I just want to buy a flashcart to load saves onto to get the maps....

Oxx

I struggled to victory against the first grotto boss, but the second one laughed in my face after summoning a King Heal Slime and undoing all my damage.

rpmurphy

Melhisedek said:
I just got to DQVC and are there supposed to be some "godly" items there? There was a few healing items and few lady clothes but nothing out of the ordinary... Does it changes from day to day or do I have to be faster to connect or what?
Slime Shield and Slime Crown are supposed to be possible store items this week. Check back each day to see if you can get em.

Also, I can't believe I only just realized that skill points transfer over when changing classes. I would have spent points on getting more 100's on my hero instead of spending on weapons I wouldn't use for a while.
>.<

botticus

Oxx said:
I struggled to victory against the first grotto boss, but the second one laughed in my face after summoning a King Heal Slime and undoing all my damage.
I think that happens to almost everyone the first time they see him. After that you realize that your Warrior could one-shot the KHS so you're not sure what your problem was the first time.

zigg

Chairhome said:
I think you should be able to do it in a few more levels, depending on your classes! The next boss is pretty hard, too!

I thought I was actually going to do it right up until the point I was suddenly staring at a ¾-dead party.

Koomaster

botticus said:
I think that happens to almost everyone the first time they see him. After that you realize that your Warrior could one-shot the KHS so you're not sure what your problem was the first time.
I know with my game my warrior would go after the KHS already went. So yeah I could kill it, but it would still heal the boss for ~1,000HP before my kill. Little frustrating.

I'm going to the best buy event in Roanoke, Va., mentioning even though I doubt anyone here is in the area. Unless I find a better map between now and then I will be sharing my treasure map with the moai minstrels in it. Took me forever to find them, so hopefully it will help out people who are into the post game.

Oxx

The only DQ games I have played have been on the DS; who is Angelo?

And that resource map is now my desktop background.

I hope Yangus shows up.

I want his outfit.

Quest 125 reward is awesome(Not a spoiler-I don't give the persons name-but just in case someone complains)
None generic character joins you

Damn 2% drop rates. I've been trying to get the
Dragonlord
legacy boss map to drop, but have not been met with any luck. Trekking 16 floors through the grotto to only get a Yggdrasil leaf sucks :(

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, you can. Or, even easier:

Tag the second game's character. Erase them from your Inn. Tag the second game's character again. Erase them from your Inn. Do that til you have 30, which will give you the final Inn upgrade and unlock everything that can be unlocked aside from some accolades.

If you do it that way, the whole process should take under an hour easily.
So you actually can do that? I asked a couple people on another site that before and they said it wasn't possible and that you had to start a whole new game for each tag.

This will make things so much quicker since my friend just bought his copy yesterday. (With a healthy amount of peer pressure from myself. :D )

Easystride said:
Damn 2% drop rates. I've been trying to get the
Dragonlord
legacy boss map to drop, but have not been met with any luck. Trekking 16 floors through the grotto to only get a Yggdrasil leaf sucks :(
Time to break out the Hoimi table perhaps? I don't really want to have to rely on that, but for a completionist as myself I can't really afford to fight the same grotto/legacy bosses a dozen+ of times for just one item since there are so many.

Koomaster

So in the off-chance that nobody shows up the same time as me at the best buy thing tomorrow - the map they hand out is considered a tag right? Could I just delete the best buy tag and then get retagged by them over and over?

If that was an option I could definitely see myself standing there for however long it takes just to unlock all the inn, I'm such a completionist sometimes. :lol

Oxx

I scraped by a level 2 grotto boss and received a level 11 treasure map in return. Will I be overmatched?

That is if I ever find the thing. It's pretty hard to make out things on the DS map screen.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Koomaster said:
So in the off-chance that nobody shows up the same time as me at the best buy thing tomorrow - the map they hand out is considered a tag right? Could I just delete the best buy tag and then get retagged by them over and over?

If that was an option I could definitely see myself standing there for however long it takes just to unlock all the inn, I'm such a completionist sometimes. :lol
Yeah, the maps at the events count as tags from what I gather.

turnbuckle

Oxx said:
I scraped by a level 2 grotto boss and received a level 11 treasure map in return. Will I be overmatched?

That is if I ever find the thing. It's pretty hard to make out things on the DS map screen.

You should be fine. The first 3 bosses
Horsething, beastthing, thing-riding-on-a-slimething
seem to get used through maps up until the 20s or 30s. The enemies on the final floors will be a little tougher but nothing you shouldn't be able to knock out.

rpmurphy

Woot beat Zoma! Got hit by his criticals twice for over 600 damage each, but luckily they were directed towards my tanks who survived by a hair. Got all the loot too! All the class grinding paid off. :D

Koomaster

Post game question that has been bothering me but keep forgetting to ask...

After the first post game story quest when you get
to go back into the Starlight Express. In the back of the train there is a door that can't be opened. It says there is no keyhole or something to that effect and it can't be unlocked/opened. What opens it? I sat around one day actually performing party tricks in front of it thinking that would work and no dice. Has anyone opened it yet?

rpmurphy

Koomaster said:

to go back into the Starlight Express. In the back of the train there is a door that can't be opened. It says there is no keyhole or something to that effect and it can't be unlocked/opened. What opens it? I sat around one day actually performing party tricks in front of it thinking that would work and no dice. Has anyone opened it yet?
It's supposed to be part of a DLC quest so I've heard.

jaxword

Koomaster said:

You get access after Stella reveals her big secret of
wanting to be a salon nail worker.

Trojita

So if I decide not to go to the Best Buy event or there is no one there with a masayuki or kawasaki map what would you guys recommend for a homebrew card? I have a DSi XL, DS Lite, and DS. Price isn't an issue, I'd just like to get the best card.

Owzers

I think i'm officially burned out, lvl 35-ish and i think i'm at the ending stage but i don't feel like going on anymore Xp

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, you can. Or, even easier:

Tag the second game's character. Erase them from your Inn. Tag the second game's character again. Erase them from your Inn. Do that til you have 30, which will give you the final Inn upgrade and unlock everything that can be unlocked aside from some accolades.

If you do it that way, the whole process should take under an hour easily.
Sorry to quote this again, but I just tried this out and it doesn't seem to be working. I tagged and deleted my friends character a total of 8 times and my inn still hasn't been upgraded. The first upgrade is supposed to be after 7 tags I believe.

I tried leaving the inn and returning and nothing. I even saved and shut off my game and went back and still no upgrade. Are you sure you can get the upgrades by retagging the same person, or does it have to be 30 unique tags?

zigg

Gunloc said:
Sorry to quote this again, but I just tried this out and it doesn't seem to be working. I tagged and deleted my friends character a total of 8 times and my inn still hasn't been upgraded. The first upgrade is supposed to be after 7 tags I believe.

I tried leaving the inn and returning and nothing. I even saved and shut off my game and went back and still no upgrade. Are you sure you can get the upgrades by retagging the same person, or does it have to be 30 unique tags?
I might be wrong, but I think the 30-tag and 7-guest upgrades are actually separate. I have 10 guests and there was a second level added specifically to give the older guests a place to hang out, but it wasn't really an "upgrade" otherwise.

zigg said:
I might be wrong, but I think the 30-tag and 7-guest upgrades are actually separate. I have 10 guests and there was a second level added specifically to give the older guests a place to hang out, but it wasn't really an "upgrade" otherwise.
This is the list of the upgrades for the inn that I've found circulating on the web:

7 tags - Second floor
13 tags - Second floor expansion
19 tags - Third floor
25 tags - Third floor expansion
30 tags - Basement

So what you got would be the first upgrade for seven tags. Are all your tags unique?

Cheerilee

ExtraKr1spy said:
DQVC update adds Angelo as a hotel guest.

You can get his Hat(in this case its his hairstyle), Pants and Top

Talk to him as a priest, talk to him for the first time, and talk to him when you have the birthday accolade equipped and the system is you birth date.
I got Angelo's gloves, as well. I don't know why he gave me them. And I didn't have the birthday accolade equipped, but still got the birthday item. I just set my profile to say it was my birthday.

Trojita

You don't need the accolade equipped. You just need the system set to your birthday and I'm guessing your profile.

I re-tagged up to 10 times now with my friends character and still no upgrades. From personal experience, has anyone got the tag/delete/re-tag method to work for them to get the inn upgrades?

I have a feeling that you may in fact need 30 unique tags to get a fully upgraded inn. If so, I would like to get started as soon as possible, starting 29 more new games is something I'd like to get over with. :/ (Thanks for screwing Canada over with the tag events Nintendo!)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Here is my party

level 52 Minstrel (Main)
level 49 Priest
level 45 Gladiator
level 48 Warrior

Is that good enough to beat the final boss? I keep of hearing too many horror stories about the final boss from my friends.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Here is my party

level 52 Minstrel (Main)
level 49 Priest
level 45 Gladiator
level 48 Warrior

Is that good enough to beat the final boss? I keep of hearing too many horror stories about the final boss from my friends.
You'll probably wipe the floor with him.

Salsa

Hcoregamer00 said:
Here is my party

level 52 Minstrel (Main)
level 49 Priest
level 45 Gladiator
level 48 Warrior

I punished the last boss playing only with a friend, me: lvl50 Martial artist with claws + shield mastered, he: lvl 52 Priest, cant remember what was it that he had mastered.

He practically protected me until i reached 100 percent tension, then used the Claws ultimate attack. Repeat.

After two or tree hits he was gone, he did had some attacks that would reset tension back to 0 though, so he was kind of a dick.

Still, we didnt die, so you should be more than fine.

Top Bottom