• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
PillowKnight said:
You'll probably wipe the floor with him.

Oh, I just heard so many thing with my friends I just started grinding like crazy to make sure that I beat him the first time around.

:lol

creid

Re-tagging the same person does not get you inn upgrades. At the GS event I re-tagged the same guy a few times to get some maps from him, and as a result didn't max out my inn until my guest count was ~33.

ruby_onix said:
I got Angelo's gloves, as well. I don't know why he gave me them. And I didn't have the birthday accolade equipped, but still got the birthday item. I just set my profile to say it was my birthday.
He gives the gloves for improving the inn.

creid said:
Re-tagging the same person does not get you inn upgrades. At the GS event I re-tagged the same guy a few times to get some maps from him, and as a result didn't max out my inn until my guest count was ~33.
Good to know. Well, I better get started. (It's like Magical Starsign all over again!)

matmanx1

Well past 30 hours today and my 1000 battle victory mark. I switched my main lvl 31 minstrel over to a warrior (up to 22) and now to Armamentalist (currently 17) for some skill and ability point farming. That allowed me to finish up the sword line and get some of the nice abilities from the Fource line.

At this point I can't decide if I want my main to stick with Armamentalist for the buffs/debuffs or switch him over to a Paladin which I hear is a stronger class overall. I still have a warrior who's 33 who's done nothing but Courage line and Shield line (so still weapon agnostic) who could slide nicely into the Paladin role OR could slide into being a shield wearing Gladiator once I max it out.

It's one of the things I love about this game; how you can build these custom characters and really personalize your party to your liking. I can tell it's going to keep my busy for awhile!

Cheerilee

Gunloc said:
I re-tagged up to 10 times now with my friends character and still no upgrades. From personal experience, has anyone got the tag/delete/re-tag method to work for them to get the inn upgrades?

I have a feeling that you may in fact need 30 unique tags to get a fully upgraded inn. If so, I would like to get started as soon as possible, starting 29 more new games is something I'd like to get over with. :/ (Thanks for screwing Canada over with the tag events Nintendo!)
You can download save files from the internet (some of which have crazy maps to give away), load them to a R4, and tag them with a second DS. My brother and I did this (which is apparently why I got Angelo's gloves). It's less cheating than hacking the game, because real players on the internet donated their saves.

We could arrange for local meetups, so anyone with an R4 can give out unique tags. If some has an R4 and wants tags, they would have to hand their real cart (or their R4) to one of the people in the meetup.

If you put the saves on your flashcard, you can duplicate your ROM 30 times onto the card and change saves by loading different games. I don't have space on my card for 30x DQIX, so I wouldn't be able to give out 30 unique tags in a single meet, but I could probably give out a dozen.

I'm in Vancouver, BTW.

People could also meet up to lend gamesharks. And afterwards, you could play multiplayer.

I think I've resigned myself to do things the hard way. I'm already in the middle of my third new game. (I'm going to do around five a day.)

Hopefully I can convince some more of my friends to pick up the game and truncate the process.

Owzers

Hcoregamer00 said:
Oh, I just heard so many thing with my friends I just started grinding like crazy to make sure that I beat him the first time around.

I just fought the boss with a party around lvl 35-39 and got absolutely destroyed and quit the game :p I was mainly using skill points to get stat bonuses and was doing quite well through every boss until the very very end one, for my lvl and skills, he's just exponentially harder than the previous bosses between healing itself for 500hp and casting an area of attack spell that does 150+ damage per person.

inner-G

Banned
Does anyone know how close you have to be for tag mode?

Like if i just drive by best buy on my break will it tag people?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Going to my Best Buy tomorrow for the DQIX event. I'm hoping some people show up (I'm in CT, so I'm kinda doubtful.)

Docpan

Is there an easier way to kill Metal Slimes/Medleys? I'm doing 1 or 2 damage at a time, and they frequently run away.

I've been grinding my FUCKING ASS OFF for hours and hours to get the omnivocational skill for swords so that my hero can use them as a Paladin.

This SUCKS!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Docpan said:
Is there an easier way to kill Metal Slimes/Medleys? I'm doing 1 or 2 damage at a time, and they frequently run away.

I've been grinding my FUCKING ASS OFF for hours and hours to get the omnivocational skill for swords so that my hero can use them as a Paladin.

This SUCKS!

Metal Slash is probably your best bet. Otherwise, yeah a lot of it is just sheer luck. :/

Docpan

RurouniZel said:
Going to my Best Buy tomorrow for the DQIX event. I'm hoping some people show up (I'm in CT, so I'm kinda doubtful.)

I haven't messed around too much with the treasure map stuff in DQIX, but if I just go ahead and set my DS to tag mode (which I activate at the Pub area, right?), then walk into Best Buy to browse whatever, I'll get something special for doing so? Just trying to understand what this gets me.

Or do I need to actually whip it out and play with other people? I'm not trying to be seen as a nerd in public, no offense.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
inner-G said:
Does anyone know how close you have to be for tag mode?

Like if i just drive by best buy on my break will it tag people?

I heard it's 65 feet.

Docpan said:
I haven't messed around too much with the treasure map stuff in DQIX, but if I just go ahead and set my DS to tag mode (which I activate at the Pub area, right?), then walk into Best Buy to browse whatever, I'll get something special for doing so? Just trying to understand what this gets me.

Or do I need to actually whip it out and play with other people? I'm not trying to be seen as a nerd in public, no offense.

You just set your Dragon Quest IX game to canvassing mode and then you can close the system and put it in your pocket. The game will tag with other people while it's in this standby mode. The nintendo rep will have their own ds game canvassing with a map attached to the profile which you will get.

Cheerilee

Docpan said:

This SUCKS!
My brother was just mentioning that if you put 58 skill points into Spears, you get an attack that will hit 50% of the time, but when it hits it will always hit critical. So on average, you should be able to kill a metal anything in two shots.

Trojita said:
You just set your Dragon Quest IX game to canvassing mode and then you can close the system and put it in your pocket. The game will tag with other people while it's in this standby mode. The nintendo rep will have their own ds game canvassing with a map attached to the profile which you will get.
Once you tag three people though, your DS will get "clogged" and you'll have to take it out of your pocket, open in up, leave tag mode, leave the Inn (or walk to another room), go back into the Inn, re-enter tag mode, then close it and stuff it in your pocket again.

If there are people in the store, you might just tag them and get clogged, and not be able to tag the NOA cart or get the special map. Also, when you are clogged, nobody else can benefit by getting a tag from you.

So yeah, you will have to whip it out every now and then. If you connect to 30 people then you get free stuff in your basement and more rare clothes from your guests. You pretty much can't nerd out and play multiplayer though, because tag mode won't work while you're playing, so if you play multiplayer you will miss chances to tag people.

Docpan

ruby_onix said:
My brother was just mentioning that if you put 58 skill points into Spears, you get an attack that will hit 50% of the time, but when it hits it will always hit critical. So on average, you should be able to kill a metal anything in two hits.

Once you tag three people though, your DS will get "clogged" and you'll have to take it out of your pocket, open in up, leave tag mode, leave the Inn (or walk to another room), go back into the Inn, re-enter tag mode, then close it and stuff it in your pocket again.

If there are people in the store, you might just tag them and get clogged, and not be able to tag the NOA cart or get the special map. Also, when you are clogged, nobody else can benefit by getting a tag from you.

How will I know when it's clogged? I just have to fucking whip it out, won't I? *Sigh*

Fuck it. I know I'll regret it later if I don't get this map... The damn game is too addictive.

ruby_onix said:
My brother was just mentioning that if you put 58 skill points into Spears, you get an attack that will hit 50% of the time, but when it hits it will always hit critical. So on average, you should be able to kill a metal anything in two shots.
Critical hits can miss in this game though, so it's not quite a 50/50 chance for metal hunting.

Aeana

Socreges said:
Any of you guys able to limit yourself to playing about an hour per day?
It's pretty easy now that I've beaten the game, but... well, I beat the main story in less than a week, so I guess my answer is "no."

Oxx

I can't help myself. There's always something to work towards and the DS is always there. Portability is a blessing and a curse.

ITA84

Socreges said:
I try my best at that, but at times it's hard to put it down. The way item respawn works helps though.

Docpan said:

This SUCKS!
Haven't seen anyone else mention it....Hatchet Man is a great axe skill that hits critical when it hits. Whether it connects is based on Deftness. I use it with a Ranger and almost never miss when attacking liquid metal slimes.

My liquid metal slime strategy:

- minstrel with falcon sword + falcon slash for four chances at hit or just metal slash for two
- warrior with spear + multithrust + goddess ring to keep replenishing mp for four chances to hit
- martial artist with claws + flailing nails for four chances to hit
- priest looking bored and pretty

Everyone has at least lvl 26 in thief for deftness bonus. I'd say I could beat 85% of them this way.

GeekyDad

ruby_onix said:

Hatchet Man (an axe skill) will easily kill a MKS in one shot. It's how I've been hunting the MKS. I'd say 50/50 seems about right. Don't know about the spear skill, but I sure love the axe skill. It's on my priest too. :lol

zigg

Gunloc said:
So what you got would be the first upgrade for seven tags. Are all your tags unique?

Yeah. All from GAF saves right now, actually :lol

ruby_onix said:

This is gonna be interesting, because I'll be carrying two DS's with me—mine, and another with lobdale's save on it... it's not enough just quit/restart canvassing, huh? Gotta walk out and in too?

Echoes

Zigg, I play on my original cart while my brother is playing with a TTDS. Which is easier for us to exchange saves? I'm not sure how to do it using my original cart though, seems complicated. I use Mac.

Edit: I have two games but my brother prefers TTDS to store all his games. He hates carrying a lot of carts with him. (Willing to take a pic to prove it :] )

Fewr

Is this intentional?
Warning, Aquila spoiler.
http://i35.tinypic.com/b71ilv.jpg

EDIT:
I haven't had time to post, but I would like to thank zigg for the map and the couple free tags. I suppose I could share the map in the future, but I would need to beat it first. I'll post when I have done so in case someone would like to have it.

matmanx1

Socreges said:

Hahahahaha erm, no, not at all. I can't even limit myself to just *thinking* about the game for only an hour a day right now, much less an hour of playtime. I find myself laying down to try to go to sleep at night and still plotting my next character advancement step and wondering what's going to be on the DQVC in the morning. It's pretty consuming, honestly.

At this point I haven't touched my PS3 in nearly a week and games I thought I was very enthusiastic about starting and/or finishing aren't looking so good stacked up against the juggernaut that is DQIX. So much fun!:D

zigg

Echoes said:
Which is easier for us to exchange saves?

The .sav file is probably a little easier on you, since it's just a matter of taking the card out and copying it on/off. To get a save on/off the original card you need a tool like savsender (I'm not recommending the NDS Backup Tool anymore, it seems pretty prone to network problems.)

There is a tutorial here, though on a Mac you won't have SavReceiver; you do have netcat though (at least, my wife's Snow Leopard does!) Open a terminal and do

nc -l -p 1234 > savefile.sav

to back up and

nc -l -p 1234 < savefile.sav

to restore (assumes file named "savefile.sav" and port 1234)

If you get a 64k file from the back up step you're probably good to go.

rpmurphy

How to 99% guarantee a LMS kill:
1. Give the Martial Artist Manual and a [Über] Falcon Blade to your metal slasher, preferably not your hero.
2. Boost your metal slasher to 100 tension using Psyche Up and/or Egg On, preferably both. Or 50 tension is enough if your hero can do Egg On before your metal slasher makes his/her turn.
3. End the battle with tension in tact.
4. In the next battle your metal slasher will start at 50 tension (20 if you had it at 50 last battle) and should typically hit about 4-8 damage. With the Falcon Blade that's 8-16 damage that should kill a LMS, unless in the rare case that you miss. You can have your hero do Egg On once more if you want to get to 100 tension, but usually it's not necessary.

That's basically my strategy. With my other 2 party members doing Hatchet Man and Thunder Thrust, it's pretty easy hunting.

By the way guys, anyone in the Chicago area going to Mitsuwa Marketplace for the Obon Festival today? I'm going there after the Best Buy event and gonna try some canvassing there.

zigg

Is everyone's Granite Tunnel of Woe the same? No real point in sharing it today if it is... it's the only map I have beaten though :lol

turnbuckle

Socreges said:
No.

This is a game I should've avoided, but I love Dragon Quest too much to do that. An hour isn't enough to go through a couple grottoes and beat up on
Baramos
a bunch of times.

It's like Dragon Quest meets loot whore game. 2 of my favorite types of games rolled into one awesome package. The fact that it's portable just kills my chances of <1 hour limit even more.

rpmurphy said:
How to 99% guarantee a LMS kill:
1. Give the Martial Artist Manual and a [Über] Falcon Blade to your metal slasher, preferably not your hero.
2. Boost your metal slasher to 100 tension using Psyche Up and/or Egg On, preferably both. Or 50 tension is enough if your hero can do Egg On before your metal slasher makes his/her turn.
3. End the battle with tension in tact.
4. In the next battle your metal slasher will start at 50 tension (20 if you had it at 50 last battle) and should typically hit about 4-8 damage. With the Falcon Blade that's 8-16 damage that should kill a LMS, unless in the rare case that you miss. You can have your hero do Egg On once more if you want to get to 100 tension, but usually it's not necessary.

That's basically my strategy. With my other 2 party members doing Hatchet Man and Thunder Thrust, it's pretty easy hunting.

That's a very effective strategy, but if you do the same thing using metal licker you'll have amazing results too :D

I'm not going to the best buy event today because the closest participating store is like an hour away... oh well. have fun, I want to hear how everyones events go! :)

Soroc

Leaving in a few for the best buy event. I'll be at the one in manchester, NH. Hoping to get a few tags but probably not likely :lol

Headed tot he Chula Vista, CA event in about 2 hours.

I'm also hoping it starts earlier/12 on the dot. Wanna get in get the map and look around for a few minutes to gather more tags and get out. Might enter a contest if they have one and its not a random chance of winning.

Hex

Banned
Girlfriend is at BB now, said that only the rep is there at the moment everyone else comes and leaves right away unlike the Gamestop event.
Also says that it looks like no swag.

Woo-Fu

Banned
turnbuckle said:
It's like Dragon Quest meets loot whore game. 2 of my favorite types of games rolled into one awesome package. The fact that it's portable just kills my chances of <1 hour limit even more.

Especially when they've modeled everything so nicely, including lots of stuff in similar patterns so you can have full outfits.

2py5fgp.jpg

Hmm, spoiler tags not working to hide an image. I don't suppose the gear names are spoilers so much as they are appetizers. :)

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I do like how the gear looks, but I'm disappointed that "upgrading" them doesn't really change the appearance much (or at all in some cases).

Top Bottom