• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

kai3345

Banned
Damn it, I didn't know about the best buy event :(

Still have had zero luck with Tag mode since I've had it on day 1

Are there any more of these types of events, I know I missed a Gamestop one as well

So, this is my team:

Gladiator, level 74
Martial Artist, level 74
Paladin, level 54
Sage, level 58

I have not beaten the game yet, but I am close.

Yeah, I'm addicted to this game.

Krispy Killa v3

Neo Member
Vyse The Legend said:
So, this is my team:

Gladiator, level 74
Martial Artist, level 74
Paladin, level 54
Sage, level 58

I have not beaten the game yet, but I am close.

Yeah, I'm addicted to this game.

I thought you had to beat the game first in order to unlock the Sage vocation

Krispy Killa v3 said:
I thought you had to beat the game first in order to unlock the Sage vocation
Nah, you can get it as soon as you can access the last areas.
Luminary
's the one that requires you to finish the game.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I don't wanna be a lamo minstrel but I have to go back to Level 1 if I wanna be something else whaaaaaat? What was all the grinding for?! Now I kinda don't want to change >.<

Also I think I got my first fygg out of order. I was supposed to go to some tower but went to the next town instead and got one then went to the tower and got another! doh!

edit: Oh ya I love transgressing quests with finesse just seconds after accepting them ^_^

Boney

Banned
Lindsay said:
I don't wanna be a lamo minstrel but I have to go back to Level 1 if I wanna be something else whaaaaaat? What was all the grinding for?! Now I kinda don't want to change >.<

Also I think I got my first fygg out of order. I was supposed to go to some tower but went to the next town instead and got one then went to the tower and got another! doh!

edit: Oh ya I love transgressing quests with finesse just seconds after accepting them ^_^
Hehe yeah the finsee part is awesome.. :p

But don't worry about changing classes, you'll catch up in a heartbeat!

botticus

Alchemy would be more intriguing if the items that were better than some of the late game equipment didn't require < 1% drops or level something-way-higher-than 50 grottoes.

As it is I've been dinking around with it, up to 31% alchemized. Eventually aiming to get through everything that doesn't require said ridiculous drops or the ultimate items.

MrPliskin said:
Just to be sure, I can still get these maps right?

Wondering about this as well. I'm pretty addicted to the game so I'd like all I can get out of it.

Also, just maybe some help here,
I'm in Upover, the armor/weapon cost is ridiculous, is there a general known place to get cash quicker/more efficiently
?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Don't buy anything except weapon upgrades unless you're rolling in cash.

As far as making money goes at that point in the game,
Gold golems are still the best source in terms of just killing things. Drakularges are in the top 10 and their rare drop is a gold bar, something you'll need plenty of later on so you might grind some of those for cash.

I don't see any point in it, though. You get great armor for each class from the level 15 job quests and you can piece together the rest from drops/chests, only spending money on weapon upgrades.

The time you spend grinding money at that point is time you could have spent killing metal monsters instead, negating the need for most of the armor you wanted to buy in the first place.

jgkspsx

Yeah, this is the last RPG I play for another ten years or so. These things drain too much time.

How wrong is it that my main character is still a minstrel? The only character whose class I permanently changed was my minstrel to a martial artist. Otherwise I've kept my mage and thief.

Woo-Fu said:
The time you spend grinding money at that point is time you could have spent killing metal monsters instead, negating the need for most of the armor you wanted to buy in the first place.

Great advice, thanks. Yeah I just started doing quests because I didn't feel like grinding, so I think I'll just do as many of those as I can. I also unlocked the
paladin
class, my main character is a lv. 30 warrior with 100 sword skillpoints and I was thinking about switching to it but I wasn't sure if that would be a good idea.

steveovig

Woo-Fu said:
Don't buy anything except weapon upgrades unless you're rolling in cash.

I don't quite understand this. I've played 70 hours and I've bought everything I could to make me stronger with attacks, etc. I seem to be doing fine. I haven't even been saving my skill points but rather dispensing them when I get them. I don't understand the advantages of not doing this.

Woo-Fu

Banned
steveovig said:
I don't quite understand this. I've played 70 hours and I've bought everything I could to make me stronger with attacks, etc. I seem to be doing fine. I haven't even been saving my skill points but rather dispensing them when I get them. I don't understand the advantages of not doing this.

The advantage is not stopping to farm money to buy gear you don't need.

You don't appear to have been faced with that decision, the person I was replying to was, as was I.

Typically in a game like this I'll grind around each town until I can equip everybody in my party with the best the town has to offer. If you do that in DQ9 it doesn't take long to become a real slowdown. The first couple areas are no big deal but after awhile stuff gets expensive, much more expensive than the income I made just pursuing the main storyline.

IzzyF3

I got 26 tags and picked up posters and stickers of DQ, but missed out on the shirts in the Elk Grove BestBuy. I left after an hour to go to the Fairfield BestBuy and ended up only getting 2 more tags, but since the event wasn't nearly as popular in Fairfield, I snag some of the shirts so it wasn't a waste. I haven't played much because of StarCraft, but hopefully I would have some of the treasure maps completed to share for next month's Simon Mall event in San Fran. I'm thinking it would be easy to pass 100 tags there. Hope to see some of you there.

Koomaster

Using the metal king slime map, got two of my characters up to Level 99 today! :D

WarriorSage99.jpg

Went ahead and revocated them both, but I don't think I will be facing any more Metal King Slimes for a while. Maybe start them off low on some of the baby metal slimes first.

ReiGun

Everyone else here is so far along. :( I stopped playing for a while, but been picking it back up the last few days. Damn this is so much fun.

Crappy webcam pics!

100808-222448.jpg

100808-222402.jpg

100808-222430.jpg

100808-222440.jpg

Fashion is not one of my party's strong suits. :p

GeekyDad

Oli said:
Well I just wrapped things up in
Coffinwall. That fairy is a real jerk. I can't believe the insensitivity she shows. :(

:lol

Well, you may just end up loving her when all is said and done. You've got a long, long way to go yet.

Chairhome said:
There's no monster recruitment. How did you come to that conclusion from that statement?
seems you could level up properly through playing the game, considering how long the post game is, opposed to grinding- so the only reason would be to recruit one. i guess they have a rare drop though_forgot about the alchemy pot

Chairhome

tetrisgrammaton said:
seems you could level up properly through playing the game, considering how long the post game is, opposed to grinding- so the only reason would be to recruit one. i guess they have a rare drop though_forgot about the alchemy pot
Oh, ok. I didn't understand at first, but the poster was just stating that he's been grinding a lot but still likes the game.

I guess the +3 and * that I saw next to some level 99 characters was some kind of "prestige" where you reset your level? Has anyone does this?

I just did some co op with my brothers, did a simple level 11 map but it was great. Multiplayer on this is great. I can't wait till we get a liquid metal slime map.

I'm around lv 45 with my characters and they've been gaining less and less skill points as I level up. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

steveovig

I have a question about the Treasure Maps guys. On the Treasure Map screen, when I highlight a map, it shows "Treasures Plundered" with three slots to be revealed. What are the treasures they are referring to and how do I get the "???" to disappear? Does that have to do with the drops listed for each Map boss?

robut said:
I'm around lv 45 with my characters and they've been gaining less and less skill points as I level up. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
No, that's what happens. After level 39 you'll get progressively less skill points until level 50 when you'll get 2 skill points every other level until you max the class.

steveovig said:
I have a question about the Treasure Maps guys. On the Treasure Map screen, when I highlight a map, it shows "Treasures Plundered" with three slots to be revealed. What are the treasures they are referring to and how do I get the "???" to disappear? Does that have to do with the drops listed for each Map boss?
Yes, the ????? refers to the drops by the map's boss.

So after getting my
sixth fygg
, I wandered around the map looking for the seventh. Turns out I forgot to save Abbot.
I only took one point of damage during the entire dungeon, and that was because of a pre-emptive attack. Took the boss down in 2 turns. :lol

colinp

Banned
What is the name of the King Slime map that people keep mentioning? I've got a bunch of maps but have no idea which might be fantastic and which are duds... :lol

Pretty awesome hunting Metal King Slimes with Multi Thrust and Demon Spear.

I know people prefer Thunder Thrust but the demon has a chance to insta kill with each hit and multi thrust hits about 4-5 times.

Steal rates are awful. The thief accessory that's supposed to increase steal rate doesn't seem to really help much.

Wichu

ExtraKr1spy said:
Pretty awesome hunting Metal King Slimes with Multi Thrust and Demon Spear.

I know people prefer Thunder Thrust but the demon has a chance to insta kill with each hit and multi thrust hits about 4-5 times.

Steal rates are awful. The thief accessory that's supposed to increase steal rate doesn't seem to really help much.
Just wondering, what's the rough chance of killing one with Demon Spear and Multithrust, compared to Thunder Thrust?

botticus

In an attempt to finish more quests, I've now got three "parties" (same characters, different class sets): Low-level (1-30) classes I'm grinding for new weapon mastery that I use while running around looking for alchemy ingredients, mid-level (30-50) classes for exploring grottoes while also getting points for those new weapons, and my semi-permanent classes (50-70) for tackling the grotto bosses. Helps keep things fresh, and I've also discovered some pretty slick equipment I've gotten over time that was just not very good on my higher-level characters.

Wichu said:
Just wondering, what's the rough chance of killing one with Demon Spear and Multithrust, compared to Thunder Thrust?

No idea but I'd say probably even?

I just like multithrust more since it hits more and uses less MP than Thunderthrust and hits multiple enemies. I've had it insta kill a few enemies during battle.

Wish I knew which attribute(if any) affects it though.

GeekyDad

ExtraKr1spy said:
No idea but I'd say probably even?

I just like multithrust more since it hits more and uses less MP than Thunderthrust and hits multiple enemies. I've had it insta kill a few enemies during battle.

Wish I knew which attribute(if any) affects it though.

I believe deftness affects critical hits, but not sure if that's counted toward abilities. Multithrust sounds pretty awesome, though. Is that a spear skill? I've been using Hatchet Man on MKS myself. Works about roughly 50 percent of the time, but being able to nab multiple MKS at once would be pretty darn sweet. :D

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
ExtraKr1spy said:
I have Half-Inch on all my characters.. I usually get an item in three rounds max, usually less.

rpmurphy

colinp said:
What is the name of the King Slime map that people keep mentioning? I've got a bunch of maps but have no idea which might be fantastic and which are duds... :lol
There are multiple. Ruby Path of Doom Lv. 87 (Masayuki) has them on floor 15, Silver Marsh of Bane Lv. 58 on floor 11, and Silver World of Dread Lv. 79 on floor 9. There are probably others.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've been playing the crap out of this for the past few days. It took a while to click with me but once I passed Alltrades the game has really kicked into a higher gear. At first I wasn't sure how the job mechanic would play out or what the advantages were in it. The penny dropped for me when I realised that you could level up your sword across a whole bunch of classes, or just level up a class for the points to sink into another vocation... it's just so awesome and deep, I love it.

I just passed the Armamentalist task (thanks to this thread saying where the metals hung out) so I can finally get to kasap later and I'm definitely gonna go Paladin on my Priest later to get Kabuff. These two powers are so key to the way I play DQ games, I need them now!

I'm starting to understand how the game is a lot bigger than just the main quest, looks like I could be at this a while. The biggest shame is that since I'm an adult in a small english town I'm never going to be able to get any tagging done. Those maps sound so cool, how many am I likely to get just playing by myself?

GeekyDad

Jedeye Sniv said:
...Those maps sound so cool, how many am I likely to get just playing by myself?

There's no limit, actually, except for how many maps you can carry at one time. But each grotto boss (with the exception of the Legacy bosses) always drops a new map when defeated. So, you've got a lot to work with.

This game definitely has legs, as they say. It's surprisingly a bit like GTA/Animal Crossing in terms of stuff to do outside a main story. I'm coming up on the 130-hour mark, and still going strong.

MrPliskin

Banned
When you change vocations, is it possible to keep any abilities or anything? I really want to experiment, but I'm just to comfortable right now where I am with my party, I don't want to grind just yet.

MrPliskin said:
When you change vocations, is it possible to keep any abilities or anything? I really want to experiment, but I'm just to comfortable right now where I am with my party, I don't want to grind just yet.
Abilities carry over, stat boosts carry over, weapon skills carry over *if* the new vocation can use that weapon. Spells do not carry over.

botticus

GeekyDad said:
There's no limit, actually, except for how many maps you can carry at one time. But each grotto boss (with the exception of the Legacy bosses) always drops a new map when defeated. So, you've got a lot to work with.

This game definitely has legs, as they say. It's surprisingly a bit like GTA/Animal Crossing in terms of stuff to do outside a main story. I'm coming up on the 130-hour mark, and still going strong.
How many maps do they limit you to? I'm up to almost 5 pages now.

Oxx said:
3 battles in a row now where Thunder Thrust has killed a Liquid Metal Slime straight away. Very nice.
Thunder thrust and hatchet man are shit for me. I spent an afternoon getting the spear/axe skills and they damn near allways miss :/

Have now got a map with some high level mobs and chest which are throwing mini medals and other 3 star gear at me :D

I've missed the Gamestop and Best Buy DQIX events and don't know anyone local with the game. There's one of the mall events here on the 20th, while I'm at work, of course. Seriously thinking about taking a half-day just so I can go Tag some people and hopefully get some maps. :lol

Has anyone had bad experiences at best buy?

I got treated like shit on the chula vista one, like if I were a thief, we were only 4 people, and the damn stupid bb employe came and told us to leave :/ so I couldn't stay for more than 30 minutes. I had to call out the actions, because that guy (a blonde guy) brought a black guy as backup. I went off to the poor black dude. Sorry bro, I was pissed.(btw, I'm Mexican, and look like a Mexican, just food for fought).

Makes me remember the time that I was looking for a wrt54g router. A bb employe came by, looked at me and said "oh sorry I don't speak Spanish" and tried to leave, so I fried him right there.

Fucking best buy sucks ass. I just fucking hate it. Too bad I missed the game stop one. Thou I hate them too, but not that much

zigg

sonikokaruto said:
Has anyone had bad experiences at best buy?

Nope. For the things I buy (read: no "optimized" computers, no overpriced cables), they're my favorite store, here in my area. I'd take names and bitch to corporate if I were in your situation.

They let us stand around for three hours, provided we moved when people wanted to wheel TVs by us :D

Woo-Fu

Banned
thunderthrust >>>>> multithrust with demon spear.

multithrust fires off 4-5 attacks, most of which will hit on normal mobs, most of which will not hit on metal mobs. If you can't hit you can't proc the instakill.

I tried 4 thunderthrust/hatchet man versus 4 multithrusting demon spears, the demon spears lost out, it wasn't even close.

In the case of liquid metal slimes what you can do if you don't like the variability of the crit skills is go with 4 uber falcon blades and use metal slash. This will pretty much guarantee at least one kill per round, sometimes two as long as the slimes hang around. Make sure you've got everybody's agility as high as you can.

Top Bottom