• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Loto

btkadams said:
what do you mean it crashed? is this a common problem for people? i just got this game on boxing day and have only just started. is your save destroyed? or did you just not get to save so you lost the unsaved game-time?
The glitch is NPC's would talk to you in gibberish. It should destroy the save. Just like in all rpg's save often. I gave 600 hours and it's only happened once.

turnbuckle

Loto said:
The glitch is NPC's would talk to you in gibberish. It should destroy the save. Just like in all rpg's save often. I gave 600 hours and it's only happened once.

Yeah, this is my second time through the game (gave my original copy to my brother when I thought i was done, then the thought of multiplayer drug me back lol). Between the two campaigns I've put in over 400 hours and it was the first time it happened. Luckily my file wasn't wiped, but I was stuck with NPC gibberish in an impossible to get out of loop at the church. I've slacked off on real saving and have gotten by on the quicksave most of the time. Heck, if it weren't for the game forcing you to save during multiplayer or store updates I probably would have lost a hundred hours of game time :p

Nice avatar btw :)

btkadams said:
what do you mean it crashed? is this a common problem for people? i just got this game on boxing day and have only just started. is your save destroyed? or did you just not get to save so you lost the unsaved game-time?

I just lost the progress I had made since the last time saving. If my whole file was destroyed I'd probably swear off RPGs forever :p

Loto

Ha ha exactly. I need to take my own advice, I rarely save in portables. I did lose some progress when mine glitched. A lesson learned! Nice avatar yourself! Love the pic.

Johnas

I see some of you regular dudes are still playing. I put DQIX on hold back around Thanksgiving to play Baldur's Gate I, II, and Torment. Currently roughly halfway through BGII. I don't know when I'll ever get back to DQIX. :p

Oxx

I save pretty religiously, but I've never used multiple slots.

I'm not sure what I would do if I lost a lot of progress. It's not as if anything I do will carry into another game.

The localization team must really like The Simpsons. In addition to Patty and Sellma, there's Disco Stew too. :D

Wonder if there's any more references to the show.

Oxx

While pretty cool from a story perspective, I have to say I was expecting something a little more spectacular out of quest 162.

And I can't for the life of me work out which class to talk to Borya with to get the item. I swear I have tried them all.

Loto

Oxx said:
While pretty cool from a story perspective, I have to say I was expecting something a little more spectacular out of quest 162.

And I can't for the life of me work out which class to talk to Borya with to get the item. I swear I have tried them all.
How many items has he given you? He told me he gave me everything after 3 pieces. Initial conversation, 30 tags, and birthday.

It doesn't look like he will give you anything if you talk to him as a certain class.

Proc

I just bought this game and it is pretty rad so far.

Did anyone pick up the strat guide and think its worth it?

Seems like a lot could be missed I don't buy it.

edgefusion

Just grabbed it on the cheap from Amazon. Up to the Jack of Alltrades so far but
he killed me and now I need to grind out some levels
. I'm really enjoying it so far, reminds me of the days before RPGs got all either actiony or westerny.

ghibli99

Proc said:
I just bought this game and it is pretty rad so far.

Did anyone pick up the strat guide and think its worth it?

Seems like a lot could be missed I don't buy it.
I bought it... it's good at first, and I like all the art, but as you dig deeper into the game, you'll realize FAQs and other websites are far more useful, like this one.

Oxx

FUUUUUUUUU-

I saw a dude on the train today playing DQIX and the only cart I had with me was Ghost Trick.

I'm going to leave my DS in tag mode and walk up and down the same train for the rest of the week.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I had that glitch happen to me once too, thankfully didn't destroy my save file. Is there any cheap way to export a save file somehow?

ghibli99

DarthWoo said:
I had that glitch happen to me once too, thankfully didn't destroy my save file. Is there any cheap way to export a save file somehow?
I have never done it, but I believe there are save sender/receivers via homebrew that you can use to send your cart's save file to your computer via Wi-Fi.

Oxx

Another reason tag-mode is fail: My DSi can't even last 12 hours in canvass mode without the battery dying.

ghibli99

Oxx said:
Another reason tag-mode is fail: My DSi can't even last 12 hours in canvass mode without the battery dying.
Wow, when are you out and about canvassing for that long? :)

I don't like that it takes quite a long time to tag (or it seems inconsistent anyway)... I understand there's information that needs to be exchanged, but it's pretty worthless for those times where you're just walking around.

Oxx

I think I unplugged the DSi from the charger at 5.30am. It was dead when I checked at 7 this evening.

I played a bit on the train, but on the lowest brightness.

Giolon

DQSigned.jpg

Went to the DQVI early launch in Palo Alto today, and got my copies of DQVI and IX signed by the man himself! They had a translator there who asked if I had any questions or things to say and all I could stammer was "Uh, I really like Dragon Quest!".

Wow! That's awesome, Giolon.

I just beat DQIX about half an hour ago. It's not the first DQ I've bought or played but, it is the first one I've beaten. I started off liking it and then I thought that maybe I didn't like it so much around Wyrmwood and didn't play it for a while but, then I picked it up a couple of days ago and it turns out I was close to the ending. I ended up really liking it. I think I'm a DQ fan from now on. I kind of felt like I should have been playing with a guide though. I feel like I missed a lot of things especially regarding quests and professions. I never did find out how to get an archer and that's something I really wanted to do 'cause I love Hunters in WoW. Hunters and Rogues. That's why I played with a thief in my party.

So yeah, I've finally allowed myself to let the sweet charms of DQ to wash over me (previously found it hard to get into due to ensuing boredom). I've already ordered DQIV,V, and VI.
In the mean time, my concern is DQ9's technical prowess, or more lack there of. I'm early on and decided to make 3 cats total. Then, I said fook it and added a 4th a few hours later and WTF happend to my framerate!?
It's really pretty jarring and I honestly am considering just sticking with a 3-member party. My question, is the game doable with just 3 members? It's seemed pretty tolerable thus far before I added the 4th.

Thanks again GAF

Been doing the recent Extra Quests and I have a question about Nodoph's Defeated Monster entry. Is the info in the first blurb correct and not a mistake? Specifically the reference to
Celestria
instead of
Serena
? Or is the story more convoluted than I initially thought?

Oni Link 666 said:
I feel like I missed a lot of things especially regarding quests and professions. I never did find out how to get an archer and that's something I really wanted to do 'cause I love Hunters in WoW. Hunters and Rogues. That's why I played with a thief in my party.
If you're referring specifically about the Ranger class, I believe there's a NPC with the unlock quest right before Zere Rocks. The NPC is next to a cave entrance so maybe you missed her while rushing to the next area? There are multiple classes that have access to the bow though.

AgentOtaku said:
In the mean time, my concern is DQ9's technical prowess, or more lack there of. I'm early on and decided to make 3 cats total. Then, I said fook it and added a 4th a few hours later and WTF happend to my framerate!?
It's really pretty jarring and I honestly am considering just sticking with a 3-member party. My question, is the game doable with just 3 members? It's seemed pretty tolerable thus far before I added the 4th.
Not sure why your game is having FR issues with a 4 person party. But the story is mostly easy enough to complete with less than 4 members. At certain bosses, you might have to do a little bit of grinding. The postgame could be tough without a full party though once you get to legacy bosses and such.

Little Green Yoda said:
Not sure why your game is having FR issues with a 4 person party. But the story is mostly easy enough to complete with less than 4 members. At certain bosses, you might have to do a little bit of grinding. The postgame could be tough without a full party though once you get to legacy bosses and such.

Thanks the reply!

Guess I'll tough out an additional party member. Now if I could only decide on a look (>__<) .....

Oxx

Little Green Yoda said:
Been doing the recent Extra Quests and I have a question about Nodoph's Defeated Monster entry. Is the info in the first blurb correct and not a mistake? Specifically the reference to
Celestria
instead of
Serena

To be honest it has been so long since I beat the game that all the story quests draw blanks from me.

Which is a shame. In a perfect world I would have liked to have finished the story and the embarked on all the post-game story quests in succession

Oxx said:
To be honest it has been so long since I beat the game that all the story quests draw blanks from me.

Which is a shame. In a perfect world I would have liked to have finished the story and the embarked on all the post-game story quests in succession
Yeah, I'm feeling that too actually. The spacing between the availability of quests linked by the same storyline really makes it hard for one to remember all the details of the entire storyline. I wished the story review (by pressing Y) applied to more of the postgame stories.

Luckily since I didn't enter the postgame until a few months ago, the quest related storylines from the earlier DLC quests were available to me all at once so I was able to do those one after another.

Oxx

I've accumulated enough materials for 21 Agates. I should really go and earn some money so that I can get all the Chronocrystals.

I think the only recipes left in the Alchemonicon involve rare weapons/equipment.

donny2112

Little Green Yoda said:
Celestria
instead of
Serena

Just did
Nodoph
last night. It has to be a mistake. Celestria was a
tree
at the time.

On a side note, has anyone been able to access DQVC the last couple of days? I keep getting error code 31020, when I try to connect.

Edit:
Saw some references to others getting that error in the past, and it fixed for them by switching to a regular DS. Did that and it worked! :) DSi bug? Weird that the error code isn't on Nintendo's site...

ghibli99

Giolon said:
http://www.radiantcg.com/neogaf/DQSigned.jpg

Went to the DQVI early launch in Palo Alto today, and got my copies of DQVI and IX signed by the man himself! They had a translator there who asked if I had any questions or things to say and all I could stammer was "Uh, I really like Dragon Quest!".
At least you didn't say, "I like turtles!" :D

That's so awesome. It's been cool reading about everyone who was able to go to the event. The pictures I've seen have been great as well... Horii really seems like he's genuinely flattered by the series' growing popularity in the US.

botticus

Oxx said:
I think the only recipes left in the Alchemonicon involve rare weapons/equipment.
I finally got around to wasting precious ingredients on alchemizing a gold bar, so I'm in the same boat now. Not sure if I'll ever do all of those though. Even having done the first evolution of most of the equipment, there are a lot of Agates to be spent.

In happier news, bestiary is done save for the 4 legacy bosses that haven't been released to the general public.

donny2112

I've found new motivation with DQ9, since
Aquila
became available as a party member. Took him,
Patty
, and
Erinn
to the MKS grotto to go beef them all up. I find it ironic with multiplayer that it says my other team members have to stay behind, though, since it says
only Celestrians may go through the Rapportal and Aquila *is* a Celestrian
. :lol

ghibli99

donny2112 said:
I've found new motivation with DQ9, since
Aquila
became available as a party member. Took him,
Patty
, and
Erinn
to the MKS grotto to go beef them all up. I find it ironic with multiplayer that it says my other team members have to stay behind, though, since it says
only Celestrians may go through the Rapportal and Aquila *is* a Celestrian
. :lol
Ooh, that's cool! I'm really into DQ6 right now, but with some long flights to/from Montreal this week, it might be a good opportunity to kill some time with all the DLC stuff.

Oxx

All I have done with the extra characters so far has been to strip them of their equipment and then leave them in the inn.

Oh fuck! Rare weapons in this week's DQVC11!!!!!1

botticus

Oxx said:
All I have done with the extra characters so far has been to strip them of their equipment and then leave them in the inn.

Oh fuck! Rare weapons in this week's DQVC11!!!!!1
Ditto.

I suppose I should share my PSA that maxing out wardrobe/alchenomicon is an impossibility. From where I'm at now with 89% and 88% respectively, I will need to accumulate 157 more Agates of Evolution. Not to mention an equal amount of orbs.

I don't know what they were thinking requiring 3 agates for each ultimate evolution.

Oxx

It is going to be the orbs that will be the killer.

I spent ages this morning trying to get one silver orb to drop so that I could sex-up my newly acquirred Stardust sword.

When the dlc cycle ends in July they should just fill the Dqvc with orbs and rare stuff.

ghibli99

Before hopping on the plane to Montreal this morning, I jumped back in to grab all the DLC. Crazy how different everything seems after 15 hours in DQ6. Felt right at home, though, and the music actually brought chills to my skin... probably a sign of withdrawal/addiction. LOL

LTTP - Finally picked this up and man is it great. I really hate to say this but I have been enjoying DQ series more than FF lately. Then again DQ is more classic rpg . The FF series has turned into something totally different.

Where and when can I download the quests/additional stuff?

donny2112

darkjedi187 said:
Where and when can I download the quests/additional stuff?

A few hours into the game, you'll get to Stornway. The Inn there will eventually (not sure if it's there the first time you arrive) have a girl in a white/green dress behind the counter. Talk to her to connect online.

Oxx

Time to try and remember my way around the Hoimi Table again. I want some guaranteed Alchemiracles.

Edit: Woo hoo! Success. But now I have almost completely exhausted my stockpile of orbs and agates.

I cant believe I'm still playing this instead of buying DQ6! I must be extremely OCD because I simply refuse to stop playing this until I beat every side-quest in the game instead of playing DQ6 which I know would be way more fun!

This game is incredible but I've been done the main story for over 150 hours now and I find the random grotto stuff kind of annoying. There is something to be said for knowing exactly what is in the next cave instead of hoping for the best over and over and over.

Oh well... at least this means I won't have to buy a 3DS for a very long time since DQ9 is putting a huge delay on cracking my enormous DS backlog... haha

Oxx

It's the game that keeps on giving. I could probably spend most the year playing nothing but DQ and Pokemon.

Gvaz

Banned
So I just beat Morag, and I'm on my way to the next place, how much longer would you say it is until I can start downloading stuff from that Wifi thing?

Atreides

Does the fan Attribeauty have an increase of accuracy when you attack with it? I'm using this fang with the skill Fan Dango to kill metal slimes and it almost always hit (1 or 2 damage each hit), and sometimes I even do a critical hit. Best thing so far for hunting metal slimes.

Atreides

donny2112 said:
Thunder Thrust.

A 50% chance for critical, but it has to hit first. How many attacks on average do you have to do? With Attribeauty and Fan Dango I do about 5 damage each time, so I can kill a Metal King Slime in three or four attacks.

Atreides said:
A 50% chance for critical, but it has to hit first. How many attacks on average do you have to do? With Attribeauty and Fan Dango I do about 5 damage each time, so I can kill a Metal King Slime in three or four attacks.
Thunder Thrust is always miss or hit, as far as I know evasion doesn't factor into it.

Top Bottom