• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

ghibli99

Hex said:
Ok time to revocate my main

I am torn between Gladiator and Martial Artist for the main.
Probably keeping my priest a priest and making my theif a sage, not then I will run Paladin, Sage, Priest and then whatever I make my main.
Any input would be awesome.
Agree w/ Axis. I went w/ Gladiator (ended up w/ a Lv. 99 +2). With the Uber Falcon Blade + Oomph + Fource (and Egg On for good measure), he pretty much obliterated everything in the game except for higher level Legacy Bosses. I also maxxed out every weapon and vocational skillset to 100 for every character, which took a while. :p Definitely my favorite, but I favor tanks in RPGs anyway.

Oxx

ghibli99 said:
Cool! Which ones did you get?

Infinity Trousers and Boots of Beatitude.

My Paladin now has a kick-ass bottom-half.

This probably means that I won't see another alchemiracle for quite a while.

ghibli99

Oxx said:
Infinity Trousers and Boots of Beatitude.

My Paladin now has a kick-ass bottom-half.

This probably means that I won't see another alchemiracle for quite a while.
Sweet! I haven't gotten the boots yet, so I'm still using the MKS ones.

Axis

ok so i've hit a wall pretty much; the 1% drops from s-tier chests are becoming harder and harder to come by...especially for things i actually NEED like the poker and the best wand in the game(whatever it is)...and i'm having a TON of trouble getting slime crowns to turn the 3829878327234 pieces of metal slime gear i've accumulated over the past day into mks gear. 10+ gauntlets and sollerets :(

ghibli99

Axis said:
ok so i've hit a wall pretty much; the 1% drops from s-tier chests are becoming harder and harder to come by...especially for things i actually NEED like the poker and the best wand in the game(whatever it is)...and i'm having a TON of trouble getting slime crowns to turn the 3829878327234 pieces of metal slime gear i've accumulated over the past day into mks gear. 10+ gauntlets and sollerets :(
It would be bad enough if it were actually 1%, but since the drops are time-based and predetermined, if you are going through a dungeon at approximately the same time rate and not getting the drops you want from certain chests (particularly the weapons), it's likely that you never will unless you deliberately and significantly change the timing at which you are opening them (or bite the bullet and use the Kawasaki map/timer to increase your rates to near-100%).

Axis

ghibli99 said:
It would be bad enough if it were actually 1%, but since the drops are time-based and predetermined, if you are going through a dungeon at approximately the same time rate and not getting the drops you want from certain chests (particularly the weapons), it's likely that you never will unless you deliberately and significantly change the timing at which you are opening them (or bite the bullet and use the Kawasaki map/timer to increase your rates to near-100%).

nah, i refuse to do that haha...i mean i'm not doing bad; 4 of the ultimate weapons is good but it should yield way more good stuff.

ghibli99

Oxx said:
I haven't found any of the decent weapons. Is the system as easy to manipulate as Hoimi?
Yep... even easier, actually. It took me 1 restart to get the timing right, but after that, it was crazy... I yielded 4 Ethereal Stones, some metal slime gear, 4 of the rare weapons, medals, etc. The next run got me 4 more Ethereal Stones and 4 Sainted Somas. Excellent time saver. More power to those who have that kind of time to burn, but not me. :)

Oxx

This time I am actually, positively done with DQ9.

The realisation that I need to go back around all the bosses with the Hoimi table to get more of the rare drops to fill out even more of the alchemonicon.

I don't really fancy Golden Sun either. I'll take a break and ponder importing DQ6.

ghibli99

LOL... yes, walking away will set you free! ;) Although now that I'm not playing DQ9, there's quite a void left by it. DQ6 will help, but between now and then, I need to find something else. Looks like it's time to dust off Super Castlevania IV and Super Metroid. :)

Oxx said:
If anybody is still reading this topic who hasn't enjoyed the game yet, it's only £16 @ Amazon UK.

Awesome, all the high street stores have this at 35 quid so this is a steal. Started a Amazon Prime trial to get it tomorrow. Cheers!

SomeDude

Banned
I honestly can't get into these games. I tried 1, 7, 8 and now 9 and the plots anf characters are just too horrible.

ps: I consider ff6, 7, 8 and 10 to be amongst the best games ever.

JayDubya

Banned
Yeah, my interest is starting to waver, too. I really need to find a King Metal Slime map...

Doing grotto after grotto with poor results, all for the sake of finding the means to level up to get better grottoes.

Once I jump that hurdle things will be more sane, but I've put a lot of time into just that hurdle.

Maybe I should give up for now and just Slime Hill it until I'm L99 in my first class?

Oxx

I feel for you.

At this point I have no concept of time regarding my DQ play-through, but I do remember slogging through a lot of horrible brick grottoes before finding a water one with Metal Kings.

Oxx

I wish I had realised sooner that I could just stand somewhere on the world map and leave the DS open to feast on the respawning materials much faster.

I'm drowning in cowpats.

ghibli99

Oxx said:
I wish I had realised sooner that I could just stand somewhere on the world map and leave the DS open to feast on the respawning materials much faster.

I'm drowning in cowpats.
An easier way is put your DS in Canvass mode before you close it... the respawn clock keeps going, so you can come back later to collect all the goods. Zero wear on your screens doing it this way.

Oxx

Woo. Eleven thousand, one hundred and eleven battles.

510be5f2.jpg

ghibli99

Little Green Yoda said:
Just picked up a level 98 grotto. Going through it now and found my first Gem Slime. DQVC will much easier to handle now. :D
Nice! It'll help for all those Chronocrystals you're gonna need too. ;)

Oxx

I found an awesome little corridor for haranguing Gem Slimes in one grotto. It's going to take a while to gather enough materials to combine with the ten Chronocrystals that bought me.

Holmes

Any Toronto players here? There's gonna be a meet up at the Eaton Center on Sunday at 12:30 in the food court. Kawasaki locker get.

ghibli99 said:
Nice! It'll help for all those Chronocrystals you're gonna need too. ;)
Yeah, those things are pricey. I heard they're sometimes on DQVC for half price but I haven't seen any.

That lvl 98 grotto I found is amazing. Found some B/A/S rank chests in the first 6 floors to grind on. Just need one more Metal Slime piece to complete the set.

Got some PKJs in the grotto too but the super robots on the same floors are crazy strong. At what point is PKJ grinding worth it compared to MKS grinding? I know they give twice as much EXP as MKS but it seems like I could blow through MKS (and any secondary enemies) much more efficiently. My level 99 group can blow through the robots with ease but that makes PKJ grinding pointless. My level 65-70 group can take out the robots but not without extensive healing between each battle.

donny2112

Little Green Yoda said:
At what point is PKJ grinding worth it compared to MKS grinding?

I gave up grinding Platinums and just stuck to Metal Kings ...

Little Green Yoda said:
I know they give twice as much EXP as MKS but it seems like I could blow through MKS (and any secondary enemies) much more efficiently.

... for just that reason.

Oxx

Pretty decent performance, all told. They obviously gave it a significant push, but it's still solid for an JRPG not called Pokemon, Mario & Luigi, or Final Fantasy.

DQ6 will probably sell less than a quarter of that though, so we'll have to see if it works out as a long-term investment for Nintendo.

ghibli99

What did DQ4 and DQ5 do numbers-wise? I realize that those weren't published by Nintendo and that they came out before DQ9, but I'm hopeful that DQ9's performance and the fact that Nintendo is publishing it gives it a nice boost. I've definitely been pimping it to everyone I know at work and on FB. :)

Loto

ghibli99 said:
What did DQ4 and DQ5 do numbers-wise? I realize that those weren't published by Nintendo and that they came out before DQ9, but I'm hopeful that DQ9's performance and the fact that Nintendo is publishing it gives it a nice boost. I've definitely been pimping it to everyone I know at work and on FB. :)
I dont have actual numbers. I thought I read in GAF that IV was overshipped and didn't sell well. In response to that DQV was undershipped but sold out of the shipment.

Im going to guess and say under 100k for each game. I agree though Nintendo publishing the series is the best that could have happened.

Fusebox

Banned
Dumb question, do players need their DS to be on a wireless network for local co-op, or do the DS connect directly to each other? Just want to know if I can get some co-op going on a long flight with friends.

Fusebox said:
Dumb question, do players need their DS to be on a wireless network for local co-op, or do the DS connect directly to each other? Just want to know if I can get some co-op going on a long flight with friends.

Wifi not needed.

ghibli99

Loto said:
I dont have actual numbers. I thought I read in GAF that IV was overshipped and didn't sell well. In response to that DQV was undershipped but sold out of the shipment.

Im going to guess and say under 100k for each game. I agree though Nintendo publishing the series is the best that could have happened.
Cool... thanks for the insight. I'm really happy that DQ9 has exposed a lot of new folks to the series outside of Japan.

turnbuckle

Ughh got my first crash. Tried landing with sterling's whistle, and instead of it saying "yes, no" the menu said "6pm" and something else. Went to save and the priest is just saying a bunch of gibberish and a prompt keeps coming up, but nothing happens unless I press B. And when I do, the gibberish starts again and the same prompt appears.

I probably lost a good 20 hours of gameplay and several class scrolls. :(

Oxx

Listening to the Symphonic Suite on Youtube.

There are a lot of tracks I like, it's just the ones that I hear most often (battle, grotto, Starflight Express) are pretty bad.

NomarTyme

I got a level 99 Diamond Grotto and the boss is Greynarl... fucking shit.

Also when I enter the level 99 Diamond Grotto map in the Grotto the S rank chest percent is pretty crappy. What is up with that?

Oxx

You should try it again.

I found him at the bottom of a high-level dungeon once, but at a later date I went back there looking for him and there was a different boss down there.

Or I may be going insane.

NomarTyme

Oxx said:
You should try it again.

I found him at the bottom of a high-level dungeon once, but at a later date I went back there looking for him and there was a different boss down there.

Or I may be going insane.
Heh, that is pretty insane. I wish the bosses change, but it is for the better the boss stay the same for each map.

Sagitario

Q:

I got this game on launch date, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Are all the online quests still unlockable (like the Layton games) or is it like Pokémon where they are only available for a limited time?

NomarTyme

Sagitario said:
Q:

I got this game on launch date, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Are all the online quests still unlockable (like the Layton games) or is it like Pokémon where they are only available for a limited time?
You're good.

Oxx

Yuripaw said:
How does that site have a number of copies sold of Pokemon Black/White in US/Europe when they haven't even been released outside of Japan yet?

They're worldwide numbers apart from Layton and DQ9.

ghibli99

turnbuckle said:
Ughh got my first crash. Tried landing with sterling's whistle, and instead of it saying "yes, no" the menu said "6pm" and something else. Went to save and the priest is just saying a bunch of gibberish and a prompt keeps coming up, but nothing happens unless I press B. And when I do, the gibberish starts again and the same prompt appears.

That sucks. :( I was actually expecting the game to crash after some very long grinding/farming sessions where I slept the system multiple times, sometimes for days on end, but it always ran like a champ. Never crashed once, and the only "bug" I got was a floor deep in a grotto that didn't have any enemies.

btkadams

turnbuckle said:

what do you mean it crashed? is this a common problem for people? i just got this game on boxing day and have only just started. is your save destroyed? or did you just not get to save so you lost the unsaved game-time?

Top Bottom