• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Hex

Banned
brandonh83 said:
no no I guess I should have pointed out that I'm playing DQIV right now :lol

Ah cool cool, no worries.
Still working on DQ 1 and 2 , have not opened 4 or 5 yet, will do IX then work my way on the others.

Yaweee

So any updates on what deals are out there?

No ToysRUs near me.
Looks like $5 off at Walmart
Gamestop has a preorder trade-in bonus in stores, and a 20% off and free shipping online.
Kmart has 50% off select games with a DQ9 purchase.

the DQIV translation is amazing.

The enemy are defeated
This is cursed willage Taborov. I wish I am not born in here. If I am not, my daughter is still living.

wait, they're all talking as if they just finished FFXIII, guess it's intentional.

Boney

Banned
brandonh83 said:
the DQIV translation is amazing.

The enemy are defeated
This is cursed willage Taborov. I wish I am not born in here. If I am not, my daughter is still living.

wait, they're all talking as if they just finished FFXIII, guess it's intentional.
Holy shit :lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Aeana said:
Something I didn't notice when I played the Japanese version is that characters seem to get experience even if they're dead for what they contributed to the battle. My priest died 5 turns into this boss fight, but still got about 35-40% the experience the rest of the party got. Very cool.

Death is a once in a lifetime experience!

Ha, I just introduced Dragon Quest IV to my little sister last night. She played pretty much up to where you are. She's loving the accents and pun-filled names so far.

Back on topic: one.more.day.

Aeana said:
Yeah, I'm using fans for hustle dance. Want very much. I don't know if the game has sage's stones, though.

Also... wow at the guide. I might have to pick it up in that case. I figured it was dinky like 8's.
Fans it is. Trying to avoid needing a Priest.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
brandonh83 said:
according to Wal-Mart's website, the game won't be sold in Wal-Mart stores, online only :lol
The system is programmed to say that for any game that hasn't been released yet. It just means that you can't go in stores and find the game right now.

guys I was just making fun of the site, I didn't believe it :lol

anyway I'll probably spend the first 10 hours on character creation.

Raw64life

So do the characters have default names or should I start thinking of name now? Because I always go with whatever their name is supposed to be.

I either use their default names or the name of a fantasy character from another game or movie or book or whatever. I feel like when I try to come up with my own fantasy name, it's way cornier than even naming it after another fantasy character. :lol

But nothing is worse than giving a game character my name, or my gf's name or something. Nothing. It makes me feel so awkward.

AND BRANDON PLUNGED HIS SWORD DEEP WITHIN THE DRAGON'S SKULL

wait no I didn't I just grinded for 100 hours.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Random question (probably a stupid one but...). Will I need an American DS for Tag Mode to work with the American Dragon Quest IX? My DSi is Japanese, so I'm a little worried...

Aeana said:
Why's that? Priests are awesome in DQ, with spears and heavy armor. :eek:
Too many other classes! Was trying for a "no dedicated healer" party. Usually a Sage's Stone and big single target heal work for me. We'll see :D

Aeana said:
Picked up the guide. Jeez, it's huge.

Check out some of the titles to the guide sections.

"Been caught stealing, once, at level 5" :lol

ITA84

RurouniZel said:
Random question (probably a stupid one but...). Will I need an American DS for Tag Mode to work with the American Dragon Quest IX? My DSi is Japanese, so I'm a little worried...
I'm not 100% sure, but wireless compatibility should be based on the version of the games, not the DS itself.

RurouniZel said:
Tag mode is cross-regional. Don't you dare forget the game if you go to Japan.

Boney

Banned
RurouniZel said:
Tag Mode works with diferent region games. (America with Japan). And I don't think this game has any DSi exclusive content, so it should work right?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Bloodworth said:
Tag mode is cross-regional. Don't you dare forget the game if you go to Japan.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I didn't need to pony up the money to fully enjoy the game. :)

Hex

Banned
To those that are playing, how long does it take to get to and unlock Quester's Rest?
(Just curious since it has to be unlocked for the gamestop event)

Bentendo

I'm definitely not going to get the guide (really tight on money right now), but just out of curiosity, who's doing it?

NVM I found it. BradyGames.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Aeana said:
Picked up the guide. Jeez, it's huge.

Any good so far?

I found the FF XIII guide better than the actual game. Pretty damn accurate too. Also I wonder how much access these guys had to the DLC quests and how complete their lists are.

Hex said:
To those that are playing, how long does it take to get to and unlock Quester's Rest?
(Just curious since it has to be unlocked for the gamestop event)
2 hours? Something like that. It's the second city.

And yeah I got the guide from GS, they had to go in the back for it though.

Aeana

Man God said:
Any good so far?

I found the FF XIII guide better than the actual game. Pretty damn accurate too. Also I wonder how much access these guys had to the DLC quests and how complete their lists are.
Seems pretty comprehensive. Nice dungeon maps, full alchemy recipe list, guides for all of the quest content in the game, and I'm sure there's more but I don't want spoilers for the stuff I didn't experience in the Japanese game. It lists where to find all of the DLC quests and what their rewards are, but doesn't have any walkthrough text for them.

shahkur

Questions:

1.Can you play the game from start to finish in co-op?

2. If you wanna play multiplayer, does it have to be 4 players, or can you play with 2/3 players?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
shahkur said:
Questions:

1.Can you play the game from start to finish in co-op?

2. If you wanna play multiplayer, does it have to be 4 players, or can you play with 2/3 players?

1. Almost all of it. Have to at least get to the point where you unlock multiplayer. It's pretty early though.

2. 1-4 Players.

Boney

Banned
So I dug up Dragon Quest V, I intend to beat it before the end of the month. And I'm to the point where I need to choose between Nera and Bianca (aparently there's a third one as well?).

So I wanted to ask who did you choose. I'm probably going to go with Nera though, I just don't like the country bumpkin talk of Bianca, even though they're guilting me into marrying her :p

Aeana

Boney said:
So I dug up Dragon Quest V, I intend to beat it before the end of the month. And I'm to the point where I need to choose between Nera and Bianca (aparently there's a third one as well?).

So I wanted to ask who did you choose. I'm probably going to go with Nera though, I just don't like the country bumpkin talk of Bianca, even though they're guilting me into marrying her :p
Well, they're all decent choices I guess, but between Bianca and Nera, Nera is much more useful in battle because of her spell selection. Deborah is more melee-oriented if that's your kind of thing. She's also a terrible person.

I always choose Nera when I play.

Boney

Banned
Aeana said:
Well, they're all decent choices I guess, but between Bianca and Nera, Nera is much more useful in battle because of her spell selection. Deborah is more melee-oriented if that's your kind of thing. She's also a terrible person.

I always choose Nera when I play.
Oh the older sister? Ha I'd love to see everybody's reaction to that. And I actually do use a lot more melee, but yeah she just seems like such a mean girl.

Gonna go with Nera, your little guilt trips won't work with me!

And isn't it wierd for you to be choosing wives? :lol

Overworld map exploration sometimes gets on my nerves, but it's still amazing. Thanks IX for making me go back to V.

Oh god I can't choooooooose!

C-Jo

I'm so excited for this. The girlfriend and I are heading to Best Buy first thing in the morning to pick up a couple copies.

Boney said:
Oh the older sister? Ha I'd love to see everybody's reaction to that. And I actually do use a lot more melee, but yeah she just seems like such a mean girl.

Overworld map exploration sometimes gets on my nerves, but it's still amazing. Thanks IX for making me go back to V.

Oh god I can't choooooooose!

Just choose already, it doesn't effect the story.

TEJ

Boney said:

It's not that odd. The main character is a king in a medieval setting after all. Being

firex

They can use different equipment, too. Deborah is actually a very effective fighter because she has access to some of the stronger weapons.

Deborah is a great party member and hilarious to boot.
Sleeping on the floor and still gets knocked up! Impressive work there. :lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Freyjadour said:
Deborah is a great party member and hilarious to boot.
Sleeping on the floor and still gets knocked up! Impressive work there. :lol

It's easily the best part of the Remake. Who cares about direct control or extra party member? It's all about Deborah!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Aeana said:
The original has direct control.

And Deborah sucks. :(

I knew that when I typed it, but my brain kept telling me 6 was the one they changed it on, not 5.

Brain no work good with too much coffee and too little sleep! :lol

Deborah being terrible is the best part of the whole equation. She's not even terribly great at being melee. She ends up being a poor (whipped) man's Alena. I like how the kids look though, regular Saiyans instead of Super Saiyans! :lol

Top Bottom