• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Y2Kev said:
You know, I hate to complain about this because I think I really like the game, but the framerate is really....like, really not good. It basically doesn't touch a locked framerate with 4 party members. I can't believe that Horii would approve that for a final product. It's distracting, but not like it is going to stop me from enjoying a great game.
Yeah, I took my time recruiting extra characters so I noticed that right away when I got a fourth. Eventually it stopped bugging me, but it is a shame.

Y2Kev said:
You know, I hate to complain about this because I think I really like the game, but the framerate is really....like, really not good. It basically doesn't touch a locked framerate with 4 party members. I can't believe that Horii would approve that for a final product. It's distracting, but not like it is going to stop me from enjoying a great game.
Level Five, mayne. Can't wait til their asses are off the series.

Synless

zoku88 said:
The battles in that game took FOREVER!!! Too much eye candy.
It had great tech though. Battle speeds are a personal preference for each person, I wasn't bothered too much by them.

Salsa

Y2Kev said:

I kinda see this in some gameplay vids/reviews

a shame :(

KeioSquad2 said:
Sorry, but your fuckin crazy......
You don't have to apologize to me. I forgive you.

I just think a Dragon Quest full of loading time and general slowness is kind of missing the point of Dragon Quest. DQ8 is slow as molasses. It's like the most anti-DQ thing they could have done.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

I just think a Dragon Quest full of loading time and general slowness is kind of missing the point of Dragon Quest. DQ8 is slow as molasses. It's like the most anti-DQ thing they could have done.

But wasn't the japanese version faster then the US?

Segata Sanshiro said:

The slowness is one thing, the framerate was far from erratic, and the game was solid with no glitches. That's what i think of when i hear a technical mess....

It is slow though.........

Tetsuo9

Segata Sanshiro said:
DQ8 was a technical mess. It looked great in screenshots. So does DQ9.
It had some problems, for me at least loading times, but a technical mess?, thats way too far I think.

Hopefully framerate issues are not that bad in IX, I'm already kinda used to them with the others 3D jrpgs on DS but that would be a shame.

Lafiel said:
But wasn't the japanese version faster then the US?
It is. I bought it hoping it would be fast enough for my liking, but it's still the slowest DQ in the series.

Level Five shoots for the moon with their engines, and that's great, but as a result their engines tend to pop a bit at the seams. We can see that in DQ8 with the loading and general slowness, and we can see it in DQ9 with the framerate. I'd rather have a developer that perhaps doesn't hit the apex of "looking good in screenshots" in exchange for something that works all around. It was like with DQ7 to DQ8 we went from one rough extreme to another.

Segata Sanshiro said:
It is. I bought it hoping it would be fast enough for my liking, but it's still the slowest DQ in the series.

Level Five shoots for the moon with their engines, and that's great, but as a result their engines tend to pop a bit at the seams. We can see that in DQ8 with the loading and general slowness, and we can see it in DQ9 with the framerate. I'd rather have a developer that perhaps doesn't hit the apex of "looking good in screenshots" in exchange for something that works all around. It was like with DQ7 to DQ8 we went from one rough extreme to another.

Besides the roughness, I love 7's graphics, and I love them even more on the ds......

7th Dragon not being localised and released outside of Japan is a crime of the highest order, villainy on par with the Joel Schumacher Batman flicks.

I'm pretty stoked for Dragon Quest IX, I'm going to go through the Nintendo Power article on the game tonight, figure out what my starting class will be, and likely get up early tomorrow so I can snag my copy.

brandonh83 said:
How's the story/characters in this? As bad as the IGN review says?
The main plot is pretty thin. The party characters are non-existent. For better or worse, the games lives and dies on the vignettes. Personally, I found the mini-stories more than enjoyable enough, with a lot of memorable characters, but if you're in it for the overarching narrative, there's not a lot here.

Starting to re-think my purchase, really. I might wait until it's cheaper or something. It sounds relatively poor in more than a few areas.

brandonh83 said:
Starting to re-think my purchase, really. I might wait until it's cheaper or something. It sounds relatively poor in more than a few areas.
I'd love to change your mind somehow, but I don't want to misrepresent the game. It's kind of designed to be the ultimate portable RPG experience, and I think it goes a long way in achieving that.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'd love to change your mind somehow, but I don't want to misrepresent the game. It's kind of designed to be the ultimate portable RPG experience, and I think it goes a long way in achieving that.

I was hoping the story would at least be fun and interesting, I don't really ask much from game storylines but if it's not interesting at all then I'm not sure I want to bother. I know there's a lot more to a game like this but if I can't manage to care about what's happening in the story, I'll lose motivation to actually keep playing it.

brandonh83 said:
I was hoping the story would at least be fun and interesting, I don't really ask much from game storylines but if it's not interesting at all then I'm not sure I want to bother. I know there's a lot more to a game like this but if I can't manage to care about what's happening in the story, I'll lose motivation to actually keep playing it.
Basically, the story outline lends itself well to leaning on the vignettes, kind of the same way DQ6 does. I'm going to spoiler this so that others don't read something accidentally, but it should be safe for you, Brandon.

You're playing as an Angel who, due to some unfortunate circumstances, has to help out people in order to get the attention of heaven. After that, you're on a quest to recover some missing items that are causing shitstorms in the mortal realm. Then some stuff happens, the plot kicks into gear, and shortly after, finishes. There is also story-related post-game content.

The little mini-stories are really well-done, and the main plot basically threw out the carrots well enough to lead me to each one. The main plot is perhaps not as heavy as even DQ8's fairly light over-arching narrative, but in the end, it really didn't take away from the game for me. You should give it a shot.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Regarding the vignettes, I think Horii pretty smartly designed them into the main plot this time. The design of the plot is such that completing strings of these vignettes makes a ton of sense. Your hero and his function work really well for the types of games Horii likes to design. I'm very impressed by how in-sync the narrative and gameplay are. In that sense, it feels as strong as every other DQ.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The "main" story of each Dragon Quest has never been strong anyway, it's always about the little stories and characters you read about and help in the various towns and such.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
speedpop said:
The "main" story of each Dragon Quest has never been strong anyway, it's always about the little stories and characters you read about and help in the various towns and such.
DQ5's main story is incredibly strong.

Hex

Banned
Everyone who is remotely interested in DQ or jrpgs in general need to buy this game and not wait until it is on clearance or used.
I can not wait until tomorrow.

Jetku

JKTrix said:

My girlfriend, our friend, and I are the 3 playing the game in this picture!

They made you demo the game before you could get free water ice. We did it because we had to, but we actually had a ton of fun. The guy coordinating the demo station we were at was very good. My girlfriend plays some games and our friend has never even held a DS, but we all loved the multiplayer.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2126017&id=31504396&l=f45a72bd32

Here's our album.

Tiktaalik

jaundicejuice said:
7th Dragon not being localised and released outside of Japan is a crime of the highest order, villainy on par with the Joel Schumacher Batman flicks.

I'm pretty stoked for Dragon Quest IX, I'm going to go through the Nintendo Power article on the game tonight, figure out what my starting class will be, and likely get up early tomorrow so I can snag my copy.

Damn are you a subscriber? I haven't seen the newest copy of Nintendo Power yet. I looked at a Shoppers Drug Mart on Friday but they just had several copies of last months. Perhaps the fact that I'm in Canada has something to do with it.

Effect

Are all party members created or pick form a list pre-made characters? There's not characters that are apart of the story that accompany you like in other RPGs?

Rpgmonkey

DrForester said:
How do I change classes on my main character?

There's a place a little later on in the game where you can change the classes of your party.

Effect said:
Are all party members created or pick form a list pre-made characters? There's not characters that are apart of the story that accompany you like in other RPGs?

You can make your party, but the game has pre-made ones you can use too.

Sandy/Stella accompanies you throughout the game.

Kad5

Just curious about the difficulty. I heard previously that it's supposed to be the hardest Dragon Quest game yet. Can someone shed some light?

Kad5 said:
Just curious about the difficulty. I heard previously that it's supposed to be the hardest Dragon Quest game yet. Can someone shed some light?
Ehn, the main quest is actually pretty easy. I was shocked at how easily the last boss went down. The post-game content is where the challenge comes in, and it can be devilish.

Bentendo

brandonh83 said:
My god. Wal-Mart didn't get it. I'll check back in the morning in case they skimmed over it or something.

So you went from not knowing if you wanted it to needing it at midnight in just a few minutes? MY GOD MAN! :lol

Top Bottom