• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

bluemax

Banned
Aeana said:
Deftness is dexterity, and affects critical hit chance, pre-emptive strikes, escape chance, and steal chance.

So aside from helping thieves is it good on any other classes?

Also another thing I never figured out in the Japanese version, for the items you find on the overworld that are used for alchemy, is there a trick to getting them to respawn?

DrForester said:
How do I change classes on my main character?

You have to wait until you get to Dharma Temple, er Alltrade Abbey.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
brandonh83 said:
My god. Wal-Mart didn't get it. I'll check back in the morning in case they skimmed over it or something.

I call BS on them. Lot of stores seem to toss Nintendo's Sunday releases into the pile of DVD releases on Tuesday. They see the box with the street date sticker and don't read the date and assume it's Tuesday. I'd bet it's sitting in a pile in the back room.

DrForester said:
I call BS on them. Lot of stores seem to toss Nintendo's Sunday releases into the pile of DVD releases on Tuesday. They see the box with the street date sticker and don't read the date and assume it's Tuesday. I'd bet it's sitting in a pile in the back room.

I know. That's why I said I'd check in the morning. Hell, I might call them back in a few minutes :lol

my wal-mart got it at midnight. I did what you suggested and asked the guy to check for the game that is going in the display case. WOOT! This has been the longest Saturday in a loooong time... finally playing :D

Regarding the lag: Yeah I definitely noticed it too. Considering how smooth 4 and 5 were, it's really disappointing :(.

Also, the vignette's are a fantastic way to pull the emotional strings.
Simona dancing with the Wight Knight was rather b'aww material :(.

vagabondarts said:
my wal-mart got it at midnight. I did what you suggested and asked the guy to check for the game that is going in the display case. WOOT! This has been the longest Saturday in a loooong time... finally playing :D

You're welcome.

I called my Wal-Mart in hopes that they'd broken the street date, also to see if if would be possible to buy the game tonight after 12. The dude asked if I was asking a trick question because "the game isn't released until the 13th." Which is clearly wrong. Should I call back and try to get it tonight?

ShineALight said:
I called my Wal-Mart in hopes that they'd broken the street date, also to see if if would be possible to buy the game tonight after 12. The dude asked if I was asking a trick question because "the game isn't released until the 13th." Which is clearly wrong. Should I call back and try to get it tonight?

Yes. The game is out right now. If they have it they have to sell it.

I just called mine back, still no deal. Fuck them.

Tiktaalik said:
Damn are you a subscriber? I haven't seen the newest copy of Nintendo Power yet. I looked at a Shoppers Drug Mart on Friday but they just had several copies of last months. Perhaps the fact that I'm in Canada has something to do with it.

I live in Vancouver, B.C. I picked my issue up at a Coles bookstore yesterday. Before that I had been going to a number of stores from London Drugs to Safeway to 7-11, no one was carrying it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
jaundicejuice said:
I live in Vancouver, B.C. I picked my issue up at a Coles bookstore yesterday. Before that I had been going to a number of stores from London Drugs to Safeway to 7-11, no one was carrying it.
Just saw it at a shitty Save On Foods in New West. It's out there.

Philthy

Midnight Walmart here.. Had to convince the lady that yes, Sunday, is a weird release date. She went to go look and got it.

I'm hoping that either the Wal-Mart asshats "find" it before I call in the morning, or that either Target or Hastings will have it tomorrow.

Tiktaalik

jaundicejuice said:

Hmm I live in Vancouver too. Google map search does show a Coles downtown. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. :lol

Alternatively Chapters/Indigo is always worth a try.

jaxword

Is there any benefit to guess-and-test with the Alchemy Pot? Or would that be a waste of time and I'd be better off searching all those bookshelves?

Also, is there a way to see what the skills do BEFORE you put attribute points to them?

BooJoh

I still have until probably Tuesday, that's what I get for ordering online D:

A couple more questions:

If I put the game in tag mode and go about my business, will it tag multiple people per session, or do I have to periodically check it to free up the slot for anyone else I might tag?

Also wondering which weapon types can or can't be used with a shield or dual wielded?

Erdrick

Loto said:
GAF help me!!!

Im so excited I can't sleep! I feel like im a kid at christmas! :lol

Exactly my feelings. I can't wait until noon so I can go get it and dig right in. It's been... nearly FIVE years since a new mainline DQ was in my grasp, so I am very, VERY eager to get my hands on this...

a new DQ is something very special. Nothing else quite like it in terms of games.

I'm so hyped!:D

I'm thinkin' my old DS will be my main throughout the rest of they year.

This. And then Strange Journey & Infinite Space (LTTP on both.) And whatever else comes down the pike.

Made the trip to Wal-Mart and was helped by a fellow Dragon Quester who spent about ten minutes searching for the game in the back, ultimately emerging victorious. Now I'm going to embark on a play session that well last me well into morning light.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I haven't progressed far enough to comment on the story, but I'm really enjoying the graphics and game engine after two hours of play.

Read through the Nintendo Power article on Dragon Quest IX, pretty stoked for the local multiplayer, even if all you get as a visitor to the hosts game is gold and experience.

BooJoh said:
I still have until probably Tuesday, that's what I get for ordering online D:

A couple more questions:

If I put the game in tag mode and go about my business, will it tag multiple people per session, or do I have to periodically check it to free up the slot for anyone else I might tag?

Also wondering which weapon types can or can't be used with a shield or dual wielded?
Tags up to three at a time, then you have to free up the slots.

Don't remember about the weapons, but I think anything one-handed is good to go, like one hand swords, clubs, maces, and the like. I remember my main was a mace-and-shield paladin, so that combo is at least good to go.

Aeana

The guide is mostly pretty awesome, with my only big issue being the lack of a location list for all of the alchemy ingredients. But otherwise, it has lots of art, large maps, detailed information, etc., and it's huge.

Slime

Banned
So over the past week I've checked pretty much every local retailer, hoping they had the game early. Sadly none of them did. Now I'm just a few hours away from actually getting it forreals and I'm way more anxious than I have been for the years since it was first announced! Insanity.

This is THE event of my summer, possibly my year. I cannot wait!

colinp

Banned
Aeana said:
The guide is mostly pretty awesome, with my only big issue being the lack of a location list for all of the alchemy ingredients. But otherwise, it has lots of art, large maps, detailed information, etc., and it's huge.

It's strangely hard to find a picture of the guide. Any chance you could take a quick shot or two? Curious to see the size, cover and maybe random page inside.

Ricker

Going to pick it up in a few hours...i`m really tempted to buy a XXL also...is there a way to transfer saves from my DS Lite over to the XXL...i`m quite a long way into SMT and wouldn`t want to start over...

Rpgmonkey

I should be going to a fair/festival next weekend.

I have my doubts, but I'm going to take a shot at hoping someone is thinking along the same lines as me and using tag mode there.

Ricker said:
Going to pick it up in a few hours...i`m really tempted to buy a XXL also...is there a way to transfer saves from my DS Lite over to the XXL...i`m quite a long way into SMT and wouldn`t want to start over...

?

Unless I misunderstood something, saves are on the cart, not the system. You should be able to keep the saves on any DS.

Ricker

Rpgmonkey said:
I should be going to a fair/festival next weekend.

I have my doubts, but I'm going to take a shot at hoping someone is thinking along the same lines as me and using tag mode there.

?

Unless I misunderstood something, saves are on the cart, not the system. You should be able to keep the saves on any DS.

Awesome,I wasn`t really sure and never considered buying a new DS but I might trade it in now for a XXL,or give it to my mom,she loves Crosswords DS :D

Holy fuck.

It's been a crazy week and I thought the 11th was Tuesday.

:O

So I was planning on picking up two copies; one for me and one for my wife so we can play together.

Can you multiplay from the start of the game? Does it scale if you have more people playing?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
So, I nor my 8-year old daughter have never played a Dragon Quest but she is really interested in getting this game. What, if any, games in the DQ series precede this new entry and is it necessary to play them first? Also, I really like the sounds of the combat in this new version. Is it the same in the previous DS versions?

Aeana

bigdaddygamebot said:
Holy fuck.

It's been a crazy week and I thought the 11th was Tuesday.

:O

So I was planning on picking up two copies; one for me and one for my wife so we can play together.

Can you multiplay from the start of the game? Does it scale if you have more people playing?
You have to play for about 2 hours or so to unlock the ability to do multiplayer. Don't know about the other question since I haven't tried it yet.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
DenogginizerOS said:
So, I nor my 8-year old daughter have never played a Dragon Quest but she is really interested in getting this game. What, if any, games in the DQ series precede this new entry and is it necessary to play them first? Also, I really like the sounds of the combat in this new version. Is it the same in the previous DS versions?
Well, 8 games precede it, but none of them are really "necessary".
The battles aren't drastically different. There's more animation shown and there is bonus damage for getting hits in a row, but that's pretty much it.

BumRush said:
Sorry for the late response...i meant is there gravity to the story or is it more happy-go-lucky?
There have been a few
"Oh... Damn..."
moments for me.

DenogginizerOS said:
Dragon Quest IX is a stand alone story with no ties to the older games except some fun extras. You do not need to have played any other DQ game to enjoy this one.

The combat is somewhat similar to the previous DS versions, with a few additions. First, melee damage will multiply if party members attack consecutively. Second, it has the tension system from DQ8, which allows you to spend a number of turns to power up your next attack.

I think your daughter will have a wonderful time playing it, and you can even play it with her, if you want. Hope that answers your questions. Let me know if you're wondering anything else.

Top Bottom