• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

bigdaddygamebot said:
I do!

Do the encounters scale to the amount of players linked together?

example

Single player encounter = 4 slimes
Two player encounter = 8 slimes

???
No, since additional players take the place of one of your party members, the number of enemies is still the same since the number of total player-controlled characters is the same.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am thinking of picking up two copies and a new blue XL DS to play with her. She really likes the idea of us questing together and it sounds like this could be a lot of fun to play together.

Segata Sanshiro said:
No, since additional players take the place of one of your party members, the number of enemies is still the same since the number of total player-controlled characters is the same.

Ah...that makes complete sense now that you have explained it. Thanks. :)

Plush slime approves of Dragon Quest IX:

Just got back with it a little while ago. Walmart said they are only carrying the game online and not in store, but I doubt that will be true considering it's a Nintendo published game. I actually lucked out at K-Mart, they didn't have the game out on shelves, but the associate found the boxes under his desk. He just asked me, "Are you sure this comes out today?" and then let me proceed to check out.

About to run toi my local 24 hour Walmart
I hate Walmart
to press my luck and find a copy. I also need to grab a DSi charger when I'm there, can't find my original one. If I strike out there I'll wait for Kmart to open in an hour and a half...

The guide is pretty awesome, I flipped through it at Gamestop yesterday. I have it ordered on Amazon for $13, but Amazon sucks on strategy guides sometimes and it's telling me that I may not receive it until August. WTF?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Besides the obvious larger screen, is there really any reason to spend $60 more on the DSi XL for this one game? I have no interest in all the little features of the XLi and I already plan on getting a 3DS next year?

DenogginizerOS said:
Besides the obvious larger screen, is there really any reason to spend $60 more on the DSi XL for this one game? I have no interest in all the little features of the XLi and I already plan on getting a 3DS next year?
The big screen would be the only selling point, I'd think.

Bentendo

DenogginizerOS said:

Just wait. I know it's tempting, but if you don't care about DSiWare and some other extra stuff, then I'd wait till the 3DS.

Gravijah

DenogginizerOS said:

Just buy a lite, it'll give you access to GBA games too if you don't have a GBA sitting around. The d-pad kinda sucks, though.

God fucking damn it.

Wal-Mart still tells me they don't have it. Hastings isn't expecting it until Wednesday, and Meijer said they have a tag for it on the shelf but no copies.

Bentendo

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
You want him to wait to play DQIX until NEXT YEAR? You're crazy.

No, I thought he already had a DS and wanted to know if he should upgrade. If he doesn't have a DS already, than the DSi XL is not really worth it. The DSi is pretty cool, and the DS Lite lets you play GBA games. If none of that matters, then get the DS Lite since I'm pretty sure it's the cheapest of the bunch.

Bentendo

Brandon said:
God fucking damn it.

Wal-Mart still tells me they don't have it. Hastings isn't expecting it until Wednesday, and Meijer said they have a tag for it on the shelf but no copies.

Can you tell me what city you're in. Because I'm planning to go to Toys 'R' Us in an hour when they open and I'm hoping that you're just living in a small town because I don't want to have to wait. :lol If you don't want to say the city, just say the population is it over 120,000 or under? :D I've found that bigger cities get the copies sooner than the smaller cities, so that's why I'm asking.

brandonh83 said:
God fucking damn it.

Yeah, my Walmart failed me as well. They said they "didn't knowing anything about it. No tells me anything". This just increases my pre-existing hatred for all things Walmart.

Guess I'll wait another hour for Kmart and Target to open...

Bentendo

Reluctant-Hero said:
Yeah, my Walmart failed me as well. They said they "didn't knowing anything about it. No tells me anything". This just increases my pre-existing hatred for all things Walmart.

Guess I'll wait another hour for Kmart and Target to open...

Walmart is filled with a bunch of lazy shits. They don't know anything about it? Well, that's why you get your ass off of your chair and go check if you have it. I'm shaking my head so hard right now.

It surprises me about Walmart, as Nintendo has Sunday releases ALL THE TIME, and Walmart and Nintendo regularly team up for advertising and merchandising initiatives. How hard can this possibly be?

I'm headed to Walmart right now actually, with my backup plan of Target opening in 45 min.

Okay guys. You might need to literally just do what I just did and I wish I had video evidence to support the following, because I have the game now and here is how:

Walked into electronics. Looked on the shelf. Not there. Approach worker. "Do you have Dragon Quest IX for DS?" "No, we haven't seen it." I look over by the register. Tons of unopened boxes. I walk over to them. Open one of them. Fail. Open another. Fail. A few more. Fail. Oh shit there it is. "Don't worry guys I seem to have found it." I plop it down on the checkout dash, and here I am with a fresh new copy.

Go to Wal-Mart. It is there. Do not believe their lies and do not buy their laziness.

I'm sorry. I mean, it's one thing to not exactly have it out right at midnight, and I understand that there are other things in the shipment that must be sorted through and put up, but they had nine hours to have it out.

Mafro

Has Gametrailer's review been posted yet? They gave it 8.5.

There's also an Iwata Asks in video form on the history of Dragon Quest http://www.gametrailers.com/video/iwata-asks-dragon-quest/701583 The translator voices :lol

Oxx said:
Are Game (UK) known for dispatching stuff in good time?

I may regret going for the free delivery.
Oxx :)

Game pretty much always get it to you on the Thursday with free delivery. The express delivery option is just courier delivery with Parcelforce.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
It surprises me about Walmart, as Nintendo has Sunday releases ALL THE TIME, and Walmart and Nintendo regularly team up for advertising and merchandising initiatives. How hard can this possibly be?

I'm headed to Walmart right now actually, with my backup plan of Target opening in 45 min.

It's really not that surprising. The chairmen of walmart aren't the ones at every Walmart stocking shelves. You think some random person who makes minimum wage really cares about stuff like that? It's not a game shop or other place where they care if something gets stocked or not. Not saying it's right but it's not hard to understand why they don't care.

Yaweee

Wow at the hate being directed at Walmart's overnight weekend staff. They don't necessarily have anybody working in the Electronics section for the graveyard shift, guys...

Slime said:
So over the past week I've checked pretty much every local retailer, hoping they had the game early. Sadly none of them did. Now I'm just a few hours away from actually getting it forreals and I'm way more anxious than I have been for the years since it was first announced! Insanity.
I did the exact same thing yesterday at Best Buy. I was there looking for batteries, when I saw the DS section just chilling there, potentially full of Dragon Quest goodness. No luck, however.

Yaweee said:
Wow at the hate being directed at Walmart's overnight weekend staff. They don't necessarily have anybody working in the Electronics section for the graveyard shift, guys...

I don't hate the staff, just the corporation in general.

Alright. It's 7:55, time to go try out Target and Kmart. Wish me luck, Gaffers.

Loto

brandonh83 said:
Okay guys. You might need to literally just do what I just did and I wish I had video evidence to support the following, because I have the game now and here is how:

Walked into electronics. Looked on the shelf. Not there. Approach worker. "Do you have Dragon Quest IX for DS?" "No, we haven't seen it." I look over by the register. Tons of unopened boxes. I walk over to them. Open one of them. Fail. Open another. Fail. A few more. Fail. Oh shit there it is. "Don't worry guys I seem to have found it." I plop it down on the checkout dash, and here I am with a fresh new copy.

Go to Wal-Mart. It is there. Do not believe their lies and do not buy their laziness.

I'm sorry. I mean, it's one thing to not exactly have it out right at midnight, and I understand that there are other things in the shipment that must be sorted through and put up, but they had nine hours to have it out.

Glad you found a copy!
2 more hours until TRU opens.

good luck!

I've put about 2 hours into it so far, and it's amazing.
Worth the wait in every way.
What kind of sucks is that I have to work on my comic project today
and it's going to be hard with this pocket adventure tempting me every moment haha

24eg5l.jpg

Oxx

Mafro said:
Game pretty much always get it to you on the Thursday with free delivery. The express delivery option is just courier delivery with Parcelforce.

I think I can just about live with that.

I might go back to DQ Swords to try and pass the time. Or maybe try the DQIV post-game content that I ignored when I defeated the main game.

damn I always get too caught up in choosing between male and female, and what to name them, fuck I will be on this all day. it's important to me considering the amount of time I'm going to spend with the bastard. or bastardette.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh................My wife is picking it up as we speak, so pics of the new xl and 9 are incoming......I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EzLink

Banned
I rarely, RARELY have the patience to put up with a full turn based jrpg style game. The only two exceptions being pokemon, and Chrono Trigger. But basically there have been plenty other turn based RPGs that, for some reason or another, I get interested in and buy only to stop playing after a couple of days

For some reason though I REALLY want this. I've never played a DQ game before, and it seems like a really well made product. I'm a little bummed though that the story doesn't seem to be very engaging, but the concept at least sounds cool. But, the main problem I have with games like this is grinding. So, does anybody know how much grinding is necessary throughout the game?

I have $40 in amazon video game credit, $20 of which expires at the end of this month. Even though I'm skeptical given my track record of never finishing rpgs, I think I might go ahead and get this anyway

Kmart came though, big time. The actual overnight stock person saw me scanning the game case and walked up to me see if he could assist. I show him the ad, he goes in the back office for a few minutes and emerged with 10 copies they received. I even got a $10 off coupon too!

I'll post a pic a of my main dude, Arthur, when I get home. I'm so stoked, been waiting since December 2006!

Bentendo

Do Dragon Quest games always use British English?

Also, I named my character Link. I didn't like it after playing a couple minutes so I restarted. This is what I always do with Animal Crossing *sigh*.

gblues

Banned
Not sure if I'll be able to pick it up today, but in celebration of DQ9 releasing I've DQ-ified my phone's sounds. I'm sharing with GAF!

http://www.strong-consultants.com/dqringtones.zip

The ringtone is the fight music from DQ1, the "missed call" is the end-of-combat sound, and the text message is the level up. I also set my voicemail sound to that, so if I miss a call and they leave a voice mail, it sounds like I won a fight and leveled up! :D

Rpgmonkey

EzLink said:
For some reason though I REALLY want this. I've never played a DQ game before, and it seems like a really well made product. I'm a little bummed though that the story doesn't seem to be very engaging, but the concept at least sounds cool. But, the main problem I have with games like this is grinding. So, does anybody know how much grinding is necessary throughout the game?

How much you need to "grind" depends on how many encounters you run away from or avoid outright, and your equipment.

Fight a reasonable number of battles while traveling around and keep a decent equipment setup through shops/exploring dungeons/alchemy, and you'll be fine for the most part. If you really need to level up, Dragon Quest has monsters that provide insane amounts of experience, and they're not that difficult to find/kill.

And in IX's case, chances are if you do quests every now and then you'll gain a lot of Gold/Experience.

LOL struck out at Walmart, they said they didn't have it, that it would be in the case if they did, and there was no way for them to look it up or check, and to come back on Tuesday because that's when all the new releases come out.

Then I went to Target, and it took 10 min for someone to actually make it back to electronics, and of course the game wasn't displayed. I told them it was in their ad as coming out today, and she went back and spent another 10 minutes looking for it. She emerged with a copy for me, said something about the release date was supposed to be July 18 but then it got changed to today, and that's why it wasn't out. Ummmm ok. At least I have one!

So do these Sunday releases actually benefit Nintendo in some way, because it sure seems counter-productive.

Synless

Ok, so I've learned metal slash. What is the best attribute should I concentrate on in this game? Also what is the best class?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bentendo said:
Googled it to make sure it wasn't offensive, only found two results but they were for Yixiazi and not Yitixiazi.

FAKE EDIT: Too long by one letter. Shorten it please.
Yiz or Yitzi

I was just trying to come up with a dumb sounding name but I kinda like it actually

Big B

A word of advice to people that may not have the patience for a turn based game: it's sort of grindy in places and the interface is just slow. Texts appear in a scroll like t.h.i.s. and so far I can tell there's no way to turn off battle animations.

Bentendo

Y2Kev said:
Yiz or Yitzi

I was just trying to come up with a dumb sounding name but I kinda like it actually

Yitzi it is. After taking five minutes to decide what kind of eyes I want... I'm starting to think something's wrong with me.

Gravijah

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
LOL struck out at Walmart, they said they didn't have it, that it would be in the case if they did, and there was no way for them to look it up or check, and to come back on Tuesday because that's when all the new releases come out.

Lying through their teeth.

Top Bottom