• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Boney

Banned
Man, I´m definately considering just not getting the game. Whenever I pop DQV, I'm reminded how much I like it, but after I turn it off, I simply can't put it on again. I have no freakin idea what's wrong with me!

Aeana

TurnipFritters said:
Sort of. My understanding is that
those bosses drop different pieces of equipment from the main characters of their games, but only during specific levels. So Baramos between level 9 and 15 has a chance to drop the Aliahan Armor or whatever they call it.

I finally found a grotto with a different texture in it!
Cool, I got the boots already.

Eteric Rice

Aeana said:
Seems like it's pretty much as long as you want it to be, because there are so many random treasure map dungeons to do. But over half of the quests in the game can't be completed until the post-game (in addition to the DLC quest released each week), as well, plus there's
an extra non-random dungeon to do.

People say it can easily dwarf the amount of time spent on the main game.

I saw some guy with a play time of 800 hours. >_>

Koomaster

speedpop said:
The dialogue has been superb so far too, the "priest" in Dourbridge easily being one of my favourite characters when it comes to what they state. I can hear his accent throughout my mind as he jests in your face that such-and-such character isn't cursed/poisoned.
Same here, I love that guy. I started on a new job with my main character and was leveling up around that area and got killed. Went to him for a resurrection...

'Oo d'you wanna bring back from the ded then, eh? ... Right then, that'll be 40 gold coins please. Don't be shy now, brush the cobwebs off yer purse an' cough up! ... Usagi, is it? Let's 'ave a look... Cor blimey, wot a state! Right, let's see wot we can do... Oi Almighty one, Usagi's only gone and got 'erself killed! Careless I know, but give 'er another chance, will ya?

I got a good chuckle over that. Love his accent! I actually went and got myself purposely killed so I could type all that up for another forum I post at I found it so funny. :lol

Salsa

Spanish translation is not as good as the English one it seems.

One thing though, all the NPC have "neutral" accents, no accents at all you could say, but in the town where everyone`s a douche and hate foreigners, they all have Argentinian accents ("Che", "Flaco", "Pibe").

Subtle ? :lol

Aeana

Speaking of translations, after seeing the credits, I can confirm the English translation was by Plus Alpha, for anybody who was still wondering.

Forkball

I've been dabbling with alchemy and I've made some cool stuff. But I really regret selling all my old gear when I upgraded. A lot of your characters look pretty awesome though for their levels. My party is around level 13 and they all look like homeless people who slaughter turtles and wear their hides.

MechaX

Okay.. a DQ semi-neophyte here. I'm wondering if I should take the plunge to play DQ9, especially since I have been itching for a new RPG as of late. However, I did complete DQ8 and... oh man. Not a terrible game by any means, but good God did it get a little boring at some points. The thing that really hurt DQ8 in my eyes were the battles being so damn slow. Perhaps DQ might not be my cup of tea, but I have no idea if DQ8 is just an anomaly at this point. If DQ9's battles are faster by any amount, I'll probably pick it up without any question. But since I don't know that yet, I'll ask these two questions:

1. I've heard that the party in this game is more like blank slate FF1 Warriors of Light. Even despite that, does the game use other means to make the story interesting? (ex, interesting villains, side characters, etc).

2. Is the class system fun or more tedious?

3. Can I ride saber-toothed tigers?

Teknoman

Heh
Jack of Alltrades dark transformation...Master of Nu'un
. Dragon Ball fan coming out, and I cant shake the feeling that the guy looks like an old Cell :lol

Vamphuntr

Will I eventually get more mage offensive spells? It seems like I've been using crack and crackle since the beginning. My mage is level 27.

Koomaster

MechaX said:
Okay.. a DQ semi-neophyte here. I'm wondering if I should take the plunge to play DQ9, especially since I have been itching for a new RPG as of late. However, I did complete DQ8 and... oh man. Not a terrible game by any means, but good God did it get a little boring at some points. The thing that really hurt DQ8 in my eyes were the battles being so damn slow. Perhaps DQ might not be my cup of tea, but I have no idea if DQ8 is just an anomaly at this point. If DQ9's battles are faster by any amount, I'll probably pick it up without any question. But since I don't know that yet, I'll ask these two questions:

1. I've heard that the party in this game is more like blank slate FF1 Warriors of Light. Even despite that, does the game use other means to make the story interesting? (ex, interesting villains, side characters, etc).

2. Is the class system fun or more tedious?

3. Can I ride saber-toothed tigers?
DQ9 battles take a long time, but I think they are fairly entertaining. Lots of animation happening which draws it out. You have your characters and the enemies moving all over the place, getting into position for their attacks. That takes a few extra seconds than if everyone just stood still. But I'm 30hrs in and haven't gotten tired of it yet.

1. There seems to be a story in every town you visit. I haven't been bored plotwise at all. Plus there are all the quests you can do which seem like mini-stories in themselves at times.

2. I like the class system, but I suppose it's completely optional. If you know which 4 jobs you want for your party and don't care about any trying any others, you'll be fine with just ignoring everything else.

3. Dunno, haven't encountered any so far. Although now that you mention it, I kinda want one. :3

Vamphuntr said:
Will I eventually get more mage offensive spells? It seems like I've been using crack and crackle since the beginning. My mage is level 27.

Yeah, you get
another explosion spell at 28 and another fire spell at 30
. There are more, those are just the ones that are coming up for you soon.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Koomaster said:
Same here, I love that guy. I started on a new job with my main character and was leveling up around that area and got killed. Went to him for a resurrection...

'Oo d'you wanna bring back from the ded then, eh? ... Right then, that'll be 40 gold coins please. Don't be shy now, brush the cobwebs off yer purse an' cough up! ... Usagi, is it? Let's 'ave a look... Cor blimey, wot a state! Right, let's see wot we can do... Oi Almighty one, Usagi's only gone and got 'erself killed! Careless I know, but give 'er another chance, will ya?

I got a good chuckle over that. Love his accent! I actually went and got myself purposely killed so I could type all that up for another forum I post at I found it so funny. :lol
:lol

That is so awesome.

Got the game today and two hours into it so far. It's my first Dragon Quest game and I'm really enjoying it thus far. Just rescued
Patty
and was level 8 when I fought
Hexagon.
And I felt so overpowered whilst fighting him.

Something that I really enjoy about this game is that it basically takes you straight into the action. I started Bowser's Inside Story last week, and I'm finding it pretty hard to really get into it at the moment because it is taking a long time for the game to let me just play it without explaining things to me.

Victrix

*beard*
Scythesurge said:
Multiplayer is really damn fun in this game...except for the fact that only one player gets to make progress in the game.

Multiplayer isn't for story progress - multi is for leveling your alternate jobs while chatting with friends

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Well it's a hot busy weekend day here in Kobe so I threw the DS into tag mode and wandered around the Center Street shopping mall area. Ended up getting three tags with their three treasure maps, and some of these people have some Sick Ass stats:

ts3o0133.jpg

ts3o0134.jpg

I think the
+3 after Gladiator
means this is the not the first time on that job. The other players' numbers are equally ridiculous, 470-some hours and one over 350. You can see the maps that I got up there too. Gonna be a looong time before I am playing any level 99 Diamond Worlds of Evil.

ryan-ts

Has anyone else completely struck out with their DQVC? Everything they've had so far sucks. I was reading in another forum and a guy was able to buy a Miracle Sword on his.

edit: For those who may not have realized, DQVC is different for everyone.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just got to the class-change guy! i have a minstrel, warrior, mage, priest. Which one of these should i class-change with? :lol

Gravijah said:
I've already put 12 hours in and I just now reached coffinwell. Think this game is gonna last me a while.
I was about the same then I spent an hour in the coffinwell dungeon running around chasing metal slimes and now everyone is 15+ :lol

So when do I get to change jobs? unlock other jobs and such? I should probably go back and read the thread :lol

ryan-ts

ShineALight said:
I was able to get a Miracle Sword earlier today.

I just cashed in some of my mini metals, I need one more to get a Miracle Sword :D Only problem is now I want the Uber Miracle Sword. Anyone know where to get Life Bracers?

MoogPaul

Are there people canvassing in NYC? I'm working on 48th and 6th right now, a block down from Rock Center and the Nintendo Store.

Ledsen

MechaX said:

DQ8 is a huuuuge anomaly when it comes to battle speed... try one of the previous DS games (4,5,6), they share the fastest RPG battle system ever made without a doubt. 9 is slower (sadly) but I don't think it's as slow as DQ8.

Gravijah said:
So, blue chests reset every time you turn the game on/off? So much for leaving mine on 24/7... Is there ever anything good in them?
They reset even without turning the game off. I haven't turned it off since I got it and chests have reset. So have pots, wardrobes, and resource collection areas.

DarkKyo

Shoogoo said:
:lol Is there a video of this?
I described it more like Kaio-ken when I first saw it, it's really badass. Red ki aura bursts out DBZ style and the character is then glowing pinkish-red.
DragonBallZGokuKaio-ken.jpg

MechaX

Koomaster said:
DQ9 battles take a long time, but I think they are fairly entertaining. Lots of animation happening which draws it out. You have your characters and the enemies moving all over the place, getting into position for their attacks. That takes a few extra seconds than if everyone just stood still. But I'm 30hrs in and haven't gotten tired of it yet.

1. There seems to be a story in every town you visit. I haven't been bored plotwise at all. Plus there are all the quests you can do which seem like mini-stories in themselves at times.

2. I like the class system, but I suppose it's completely optional. If you know which 4 jobs you want for your party and don't care about any trying any others, you'll be fine with just ignoring everything else.

3. Dunno, haven't encountered any so far. Although now that you mention it, I kinda want one. :3

Oh, I didn't even know there was a positioning element in this game, whether it be automatic or manual. That actually might spice up the battles a bit more than standing in a straight line hitting things in turns for me. It's little minor aesthetics like this that can make me handle a battle system for 10 hours or 30.

Unrelated, but while I knew that armor and clothing has and effect, I didn't know you could manipulate the gender for even the main character. I'm a sucker for stuff like that in WPRGs, especially since there are so few female main characters in RPGs entirely.

As for the class system.. Hm.. I guess I'll have to look more into things here, especially since the posters at the beginning of the topic portrayed some skeptical thoughts on the job system. But as long as it isn't overly tedious, that will be fine. And boo, no saber-toothed tigers. The thing that DQ8 really nailed more than 90% of RPGs was the sense of exploration especially when you get animals to ride.

Ledsen said:
DQ8 is a huuuuge anomaly when it comes to battle speed... try one of the previous DS games (4,5,6), they share the fastest RPG battle system ever made without a doubt. 9 is slower (sadly) but I don't think it's as slow as DQ8.

Hm... It's good that it's not as slow as DQ8's battle system, but is there an RPG you've played (or anyone can jump into this question) that might have a comparable battle speed?

ryan-ts said:
Has anyone else completely struck out with their DQVC? Everything they've had so far sucks. I was reading in another forum and a guy was able to buy a Miracle Sword on his.

edit: For those who may not have realized, DQVC is different for everyone.
Mostly alchemy ingredients for me so far. A mini medal, a skill seed, and today there're saint's ashes -- I think ashes, maybe a stone? -- that costs 5K -- most expensive thing so far.

JKTrix

I'm just noticing that I can't give party members weapons to just hold as an 'item', so they could use the item in battle for its effects. It's no big deal if the class can naturally equip the weapon, as they can just change the equipment then use the weapon's special effect. But if I wanted my Martial Artist to throw fireballs with a Cautery Sword or something, he can't.

Gravijah

Boney said:
Man, I´m definately considering just not getting the game. Whenever I pop DQV, I'm reminded how much I like it, but after I turn it off, I simply can't put it on again. I have no freakin idea what's wrong with me!

You're getting it.

Johnlenham said:
I was about the same then I spent an hour in the coffinwell dungeon running around chasing metal slimes and now everyone is 15+ :lol

So when do I get to change jobs? unlock other jobs and such? I should probably go back and read the thread :lol

Glad I'm not alone. :lol

ScrabbleDude said:
They reset even without turning the game off. I haven't turned it off since I got it and chests have reset. So have pots, wardrobes, and resource collection areas.

See, I thought they did without turning it off, but then for some reason mine hadn't respawned in forever, so I turned it on/off and they were all back.

ScrabbleDude said:
These mini medals on the map are awesome. They work like the alchemy items on the map -- they might be there and they might not. And they respawn. I know I've gotten at least one of them twice.

Oh, now that makes sense!

Fewr

SalsaShark said:
Spanish translation is not as good as the English one it seems.

One thing though, all the NPC have "neutral" accents, no accents at all you could say, but in the town where everyone`s a douche and hate foreigners, they all have Argentinian accents ("Che", "Flaco", "Pibe").

Subtle ? :lol
I think it's pretty good. I remember the translation for DQIV was good too.

MoogPaul said:
Are there people canvassing in NYC? I'm working on 48th and 6th right now, a block down from Rock Center and the Nintendo Store.
I know there is a Dragon Quest IX facebook group that attempts to schedule meetings and such, and the NYC chapter is by far the most active, so you may want to check that out.

MoogPaul

Easystride said:
I know there is a Dragon Quest IX facebook group that attempts to schedule meetings and such, and the NYC chapter is by far the most active, so you may want to check that out.

got a link? I'm on my phone right now, can't really surf through facebook.

You know, this is probably the best JRPG I've played since the PS1. It's awesome. Why can't these developers make a game this good on the big-boy consoles?

Rpgmonkey

MechaX said:
Hm... It's good that it's not as slow as DQ8's battle system, but is there an RPG you've played (or anyone can jump into this question) that might have a comparable battle speed?

I feel battles in DQ9 move at about the same pace as battles in Persona 3 or 4 (well, maybe a bit slower). Blue Dragon might also be a somewhat comparable example, though it's battle flow is more like Final Fantasy than Dragon Quest.

The pacing in 9 is a little better than 8's. Attack animations usually aren't as drawn out, and if several enemies/allies are using normal attacks, the game usually tries to keep the camera movement to a minimum, unlike how 8 would switch the camera angle like 10 times in a single round, and almost every enemy had some fancy two-second long attack animation.

Gravijah

Micromegas said:
You know, this is probably the best JRPG I've played since the PS1. It's awesome. Why can't these developers make a game this good on the big-boy consoles?

This game reminded me why I love JRPGs so much, as I had taken a break from playing RPGs for a while.

Rpgmonkey said:
I feel battles in DQ9 move at about the same pace as battles in Persona 3 or 4. Well, maybe a bit slower.

The pacing in 9 is a little better than 8's. Attack animations usually aren't as drawn out, and if several enemies/allies are using normal attacks, the game usually tries to keep the camera movement to a minimum, unlike how 8 would switch the camera angle like 10 times in a single round, and almost every enemy had some fancy two-second long attack animation.

BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY

great now I have the P3 battle theme stuck in my head.

Top Bottom