• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Forkball said:
Ok what am I supposed to do in
Gleeba? I can't get to the Queen because she's taking a bath and I explored the entire palace, but nothing.
Head up to the top section of the palace to where the Paladin trainer and "fake" fisherman are, and you hop into the water and jump down.

BooJoh

Cuu said:
I hate my mage girl. She dies at pretty much every big battle. NEED MORE DEFENSE!! ugh. My martial artist is ballin' though. Massive damage. Can't wait for the
updated classes ^_^
I turned my mage into an Armamentalist and haven't looked back. She doesn't have attack magic anymore, but she has lots of buff/debuff spells, is pretty good DPS with her bow, doesn't die on every boss fight anymore, and has practically unlimited mana thanks to Hallowed Arrow and Focus Pocus. Bearing that in mind, I gave her some Pally skills and now she can recover mana quickly and then dish it out to other members of my party.

If there's a point in this game where heavy offensive magic is necessary, I haven't reached it, and I'm in the post-endgame content.

Also I think people should bear in mind that the "advanced" classes aren't necessarily better versions of the base classes. Personally I still have a Thief in my party. I made her a Ranger, maxed out the Ranger skills for a nice deftness boost (and Wolf Whistle is awesome too) and then turned her back into a Thief because frankly the Ranger Coup is rubbish.

Cuu said:
I hate my mage girl. She dies at pretty much every big battle. NEED MORE DEFENSE!! ugh. My martial artist is ballin' though. Massive damage. Can't wait for the
updated classes ^_^

I left my mage behind...she
and me and my shitty minstral skills
just wasn't getting it done. I miss the crazy bang and crackle spells but I won't miss her dying every damn boss battle.

The problem is that I have no clue wtf I want my main character to be. I'm currently an Armamentalist and probably will stay there if only because the quest for that was such bullshit. But a gladiator is too slow, I let the AI heal ( because I am weaksauce) so a Palidin is out of the question ( and it's also slow), Ranger kinda sucks. So hopefully I have finally found the class for me.....until I decide that I hate buffing party members and switch yet again.

Rpgmonkey

Okay, damn.

Just finished this and the extra stuff to do is just overwhelming. I'm usually not too fond of post game stuff in DQ anyway, so I think I'm just going to do quests that give me the most interesting/useful stuff. So much of the world is unaccessible until later (and I've found some cool/interesting things), but it helps to make some of the extra content feel more new.

That aside, fun game. Just to compare it to its predecessor, the end villain is better than VIII's (whatever that's worth considering the series) and it has better sub plots, but I think VIII has a more interesting overall plot and cast of characters. Most of the music leaves something to be desired, but I'll be damned if this game doesn't have my second favorite world map theme!

After playing this I'd totally be up for DQXI on the 3DS. :D

jaxword

For everyone's enjoyment, here is a collection of collectibles from the official SquareEnix store in Tokyo.

Edit: Are these images showing for others?

jaxword

Forkball said:
Ok I just
got my ship
. What are some good places to grind? I'm going to play around with classes before I continue on, so I want an easy place to grind, preferably with many metal slimes.

Here's one!

Finally, Baramos down. Went really easy for some reason. Aliahan Boots obtained and working towards further pieces. These bosses don't mess around.

Koomaster

GaimeGuy said:
Quest 12: Putting on the Glitz.

What the hell do I have to wear?!
Just passed that today, I was wearing the Shimmering Dress, the Transparent Tights, High Heels, Bunny Ears, Linen Gloves, and the Ruby of Protection.

For weapons I had:
Falcon Blade & White Knight's Shield
. Don't know if they count or not in that quest.

Vamphuntr

Overall I liked the game a lot. Beat the story in 43 hours. I don't know if I will keep doing the post game stuff for long. The exploration in the game was really well done. When travelling from one areas to the others you always have the possibility to explore around to find ''hidden spots'' full of alchemy ingredients. I loved the alchemy pot in this one. Especially since everything you make have different appearances. It was extremly rewarding to work hard to steal/harvest the required items and to finally create the item you wanted. The main plot was very charming and very DQ like. Game is also one of the most beautiful DS game. No kidding. There is also a lot of things to do. I absolutely hated most of the jobs specifics quests. They should have added mini adventures related to the jobs instead. They were all very annoying and time consuming. I'm not a big fan of the job system either. I only switched my Minstrel to thief and beat the game with my mage/priest/martial artist without problem. I beat the game and maxed only a skill tree on each of my characters. To customize your characters with multiple useful job abilities you will need a lot of time.

It's definitely one of the must have RPG of the year. It's probably my third favorite game this year so far next to Strange Journey and Peace Walker. Ys Seven and BBS are next :D .

Oli

Well, I finally ordered a copy for myself. Really excited to jump into my first Dragon Quest game.

I have to say, it's pretty much the enthusiasm in this thread that moved me to buy it. So hopefully it pays off!

Are there any rules governing alchemy material respawns that I should know about? I've been searching in vain for bright stones. The spots in
Wyrmwood Canyon
and
Gleeba
have been dry all day. I want to make some damn lucida shards.

Vamphuntr

decoyplatypus said:
Are there any rules governing alchemy material respawns that I should know about? I've been searching in vain for bright stones. The spots in
Wyrmwood Canyon
and
Gleeba
have been dry all day. I want to make some damn lucida shards.

You can also get brighten rocks by stealing from the Goodybags near Batsureg.

BooJoh

Knux-Future said:
The problem is that I have no clue wtf I want my main character to be. I'm currently an Armamentalist and probably will stay there if only because the quest for that was such bullshit. But a gladiator is too slow, I let the AI heal ( because I am weaksauce) so a Palidin is out of the question ( and it's also slow), Ranger kinda sucks. So hopefully I have finally found the class for me.....until I decide that I hate buffing party members and switch yet again.
My main character is a Gladiator. He used to always attack last in battle but after maxing out the Martial Artist tree he usually attacks second now, right after my Thief.

rush777

Is it even worth exploring the entire Grotto? In the early level maps I only get like 1 blue chest with a herb in it. I feel like I should go straight to the boss.

rush777 said:
Is it even worth exploring the entire Grotto? In the early level maps I only get like 1 blue chest with a herb in it. I feel like I should go straight to the boss.
That's been my impression as well thus far. The legacy maps only have one floor as well.

BooJoh

rush777 said:
In my experience the number of chests seems to increase dramatically at the 3rd floor and deeper.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Aeana said:
I enjoyed it since it reminded me of Sora no Kiseki, but it is undoubtedly one of Horii's weaker moments.

Every other arc is on par with VIII's best moments; Hogwarts has been my only disappointment. They could have fleshed out the
boarding school elements a lot more, like forcing you to sit through class or actually asking you to do some deductive reasoning

srenity

Neo Member
[I skimmed through the last few pages to see if this was brought up. I skimmed because I didn't want to accidentally read spoilers!]

I was looking through the funny animals pic thread on GAF Off Topic and came across:

axolotl.jpg

Looking at the file name, I didn't know Axolhotl (monster # 093) was based off a real creature!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
srenity said:
[I skimmed through the last few pages to see if this was brought up. I skimmed because I didn't want to accidentally read spoilers!]

I was looking through the funny animals pic thread on GAF Off Topic and came across:

http://animals.nationalgeographic.c...ed/StaticFiles/animals/images/800/axolotl.jpg

Looking at the file name, I didn't know Axolhotl (monster # 093) was based off a real creature!

Now you're gonna tell me you thought Mudkip was a funny-looking frog.

Tailzo

Serious question:

Does the game use the L button (shoulder button)? My L button on my DS Lite is broken, but I want to wait for the 3ds before I "upgrade".'

I could steal my wifes DSI XL though, but that won't work when we're playing togheter.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Okay, how the fuck does the Pincushion ability work? I'm using it, the infernal armours are attacking my paladin, yet no damage is being deflected.

Tailzo said:
Serious question:

Does the game use the L button (shoulder button)? My L button on my DS Lite is broken, but I want to wait for the 3ds before I "upgrade".'

I could steal my wifes DSI XL though, but that won't work when we're playing togheter.

Blow and suck on the L button!

Alternatively, don't use it. It's not necessary.

Gravijah

Tailzo said:
Serious question:

Minor camera rotation (like not very much) and sometimes can be used the same as the A button.

Anybody going to comic-con? Nintendo is giving away the Mortimor map there via Tag Mode. I've given the game to my sister so she can get it for me since she'll be working there. I hope she remembers how to enter tag mode and then quicksave.

Tailzo

Gravijah said:
Minor camera rotation (like not very much) and sometimes can be used the same as the A button.

Regulus Tera said:
Okay, how the fuck does the Pincushion ability work? I'm using it, the infernal armours are attacking my paladin, yet no damage is being deflected.

Blow and suck on the L button!

Alternatively, don't use it. It's not necessary.
Thanks, but blow and suck the L button with my mouth? Sounds dirty and weird, but I'll try it. :) Btw, I preordered 3 copies, can't wait for some multiplayer :)

edit: It worked! Thanks a lot!! :)

jgkspsx

My wife and I picked up two copies from Toys'R'Us (free $15 gift card with purchase). I'm still fairly early in the game. I haven't played a contemporary RPG in about ten years, if not longer - just remakes. I've never played much Dragon Quest - the VIII demo on PS2 and a bit of IV on the DS remake - but this is really charming stuff.

Besides the unskippable text and the practically useless tag mode, I don't have much to complain about. The lack of random battles rocks. The free-ranging exploring is really cool - I was very pleased with myself for knowing the whole story of
Brigadoom
by the time I met with the knight. It's kind of silly, but the chaotic battles definitely make things more fun than the traditional lines of characters.

My favorite thing about the gameplay is how fast everything moves. Your character runs, your party don't waste time jumping around after battles, the cutscenes are short and to the point, you get teleportation items right away.

I'm really looking forward to multiplayer.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Game is so insanely awesome. Grinding out the perma-stat boosting skill trees for my four companions now.

botticus

Mejilan said:
Game is so insanely awesome. Grinding out the perma-stat boosting skill trees for my four companions now.
I'm debating doing that before heading to the final boss, though I'm not sure I have the patience to do a lot of it without any other goal. May just take a shot at him first and see how it goes, and save the grinding for any post-game fun I engage in.

botticus said:
I'm debating doing that before heading to the final boss, though I'm not sure I have the patience to do a lot of it without any other goal. May just take a shot at him first and see how it goes, and save the grinding for any post-game fun I engage in.
I saved stat grinding for post game and it's not too fun :(. LMS start slowing down a lot in the 40s.

Almost need my party to go down Warrior and Paladin for the health and resil. Bosses hit too hard.

botticus

Freyjadour said:
I saved stat grinding for post game and it's not too fun :(. LMS start slowing down a lot in the 40s.

Almost need my party to go down Warrior and Paladin for the health and resil. Bosses hit too hard.
I already figured that would be less enjoyable than metal slime hunting. I can't find a spot to farm LMS that doesn't involve having to fight other mobs most of the time to open up spots for respawning.

botticus said:
I already figured that would be less enjoyable than metal slime hunting. I can't find a spot to farm LMS that doesn't involve having to fight other mobs most of the time to open up spots for respawning.
Bowhole, on b3 by stairs to b4, top right corner of the little "island" there, face upward and open the menu. You'll see spawns in the bottom left corner every 10 seconds or so, they'll look at you and then walk over the bridge. Just sit there in the menu until you see a LMS and the run at it asap.

Works, but sometimes they just don't feel like showing up or if they do they keep running on the first turn.

Is there any way to increase the chance that you get poisoned? I'm trying to do the level 40 Gladiator quest, but my Gladiator just can't seem to get poisoned. A lot of frustrating optional quests in this game :(

the-iek

Freyjadour said:
Bowhole, on b3 by stairs to b4, top right corner of the little "island" there, face upward and open the menu. You'll see spawns in the bottom left corner every 10 seconds or so, they'll look at you and then walk over the bridge. Just sit there in the menu until you see a LMS and the run at it asap.

Works, but sometimes they just don't feel like showing up or if they do they keep running on the first turn.
Uh, where's Bowhole? I'm playing the German version of the game and the names are just too different and there's no German map yet.

the-iek said:
Uh, where's Bowhole? I'm playing the German version of the game and the names are just too different and there's no German map yet.
Hm, how to explain not using names.

After you've been "dropped off" at the village with the xenophobic people, it's the next dungeon.

Link Man

Banned
Well, it's been a while since I last updated, so here we go:

DQParty3.jpg

Just finished Batsureg, did it after Swinedimples (and some weapon quests).

Not much to say about my main, had a short stint as a thief to finish leveling swords.

Dragona might turn out to be a paladin with a fan, once I get Hustle Dance. I want to get the agility boosts for the martial artist first, though.

Krilin, who used to be my priest, is now a gladiator. This is solely to master axes, so he can be an axe-wielding priest.

Sykalios is going to be my sage, so I wanted to master her faith. Plus, since Krilin's a gladiator right now, I needed somebody to heal.

For anyone having difficulty getting tags -- I know I am -- there are some recipes that are only available through the expanded inn.

They are:
Killer Pillar = Driller Pillar + Mighty Armlet
White Tiger Fan = Feline Fan + Ice Crystal x3 + Kitty Shield
Black Tortoise FanVermilion Bird Fan
Papillon Mask = Malleable Mask + Dread Dagger + Narspcious x3
Phantom Mask = Papillon Mask + Dark Robe + Slipweed x3
Dark Robe = Velvet Cape + Evencloth x3 + Slipweed x3
Macabre Mantle = Dark Robe + Wing of Bat x4 + Terrible Tattoo x3
Gloomy Gloves = Heavy Handwear + Evencloth x3
Murky Mittens = Gloomy Gloves + Malicite + Evencloth x3
Chainmail Socks = Pop Socks + Chain Mail x2 + Iron Nails x2
Red Tights = Pop Socks + Crimson Coral x4
Green Tights = Pop Socks + Emerald Moss x4
White Tights = Pop Socks + Seashell x4
Transparent Tights = Red Tights + Green Tights + White Tights
Wu Shoes = Kung Fu shoes + Finessence x2

gogojira

Link Man said:
Well, it's been a while since I last updated, so here we go:

Just finished Batsureg, did it after Swinedimples (and some weapon quests).

Not much to say about my main, had a short stint as a thief to finish leveling swords.

Dragona might turn out to be a paladin with a fan, once I get Hustle Dance. I want to get the agility boosts for the martial artist first, though.

Krilin, who used to be my priest, is now a gladiator. This is solely to master axes, so he can be an axe-wielding priest.

Sykalios is going to be my sage, so I wanted to master her faith. Plus, since Krilin's a gladiator right now, I needed somebody to heal.

Ha, I'm so confused on how this all works. Last night I ended my game just before getting to finally switch vocations (I think) so hopefully it'll become clearer.

Can you swap back and forth between classes without any repercussions? No skill or leveling hits, or anything like that?

I'm actually pretty content with my party aside from my main. I've got him leaning heavy into swords so far and I'd like to keep it that way, is there a specific class I should be leaning toward? Based on what I read, Rangers can't use swords, right?

After taking a few days off from when I beat it I've gone right into doing the treasure maps, and they sure are addicting. It's funny that I love this game so much because I didn't really get into DQV or VIII, and I haven't really liked a JRPG in some time. But now I've been playing the hell out of this, which led to me going back to FFIV and trying to beat that as well. Once I get some more gear changes I'll post another set of pics. Really glad I got the guide because finding where some of these maps is really hard... Even with the pictures in the book it still takes effort to figure out exactly what part of the zone they're in...

vag 2.0

Freyjadour said:
Finally, Baramos down. Went really easy for some reason. Aliahan Boots obtained and working towards further pieces. These bosses don't mess around.

I've beaten him at l1 a couple of times but haven't got aliahan boots - do you have to level him up a bit for this?

BooJoh

Man,
Baramos
beats my butt something awful. I'm pretty sure the only thing that's going to help me is better gear/higher levels, maybe some more skill grinding.

Anyone know what level of grottoes I can expect to maybe see some Gem Slimes, Metal Kings, or get Orichalcum from chests?

Top Bottom