• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Huzzah! I just got
the key that opens goddamn everything
- so excited, I already visited the one place I remember for sure to use it
mini-medal tent
..... now I don't know where to go with it. Damn it why couldn't I have remembered all this stuff earlier!

Also, I am near the end of the game, before I finish I usually like to tie a few loose ends, just so the final boss fight is a cakewalk, so I am looking to do some more alchemizing, unfortunately I still have like 50% of the recipes missing, and pretty much all the recipes I have now or only marginal improvements to my current equipment :(. Do I get recipes from treasure map dungeons and quests from here on out?

botticus

Kinitari said:
Huzzah! I just got
the key that opens goddamn everything
- so excited, I already visited the one place I remember for sure to use it
mini-medal tent
..... now I don't know where to go with it. Damn it why couldn't I have remembered all this stuff earlier!
I was going to worry about that, but then I figured I'm going to revisit every single location again looking for quests (until I tire of the game) so I'll find them as I go.

Oxx

I know I selected two-day delivery, but I'm still going to be bummed if I'm not playing this later on today.

Ravidrath

Is there some ability or gear or trick I'm missing to help with the Martial Artist's Level 40 quest?

I have to kill 3 golems with critical hits... just seems like this is going to take forever if there isn't some way to boost critical hit chance that I'm missing.

Link Man

Banned
Ravidrath said:
Is there some ability or gear or trick I'm missing to help with the Martial Artist's Level 40 quest?

I have to kill 3 golems with critical hits... just seems like this is going to take forever if there isn't some way to boost critical hit chance that I'm missing.
The only thing I can suggest is to boost your deftness.

seriously, I can't decide on what to make my MC...

I started out as a Martial Artist but the lack of MP (and therefore options was lame...also i was doing shit damage at the time)

Then I move to Paladin, which is fine but I rather have the AI heal when needed so I gave that to my Warrior/Gladiator type dude. He's boss so he's found his calling

Then I switched to gladiator, and finally got the boom behind my hits but once again shit MP and lack of speed killed me, I also would die alot because I was always the last to attack or move.

Then after that bullshit quest, I became an artamentalist(sp?), which is the best of all worlds...sort of until I realize debuffs never fucking work and I'll get killed before I can buff shit.

Man this is the same problem I have in Pokemon....

and god do I love it.

Jeels

I just
beat the stone gaurdian dude boss in the town mason recreated, I then got the fig from mason
do i just leave the place and continue on?

Also, what do you get from the Granite Tunnel of Woe?

BooJoh

Ravidrath said:

You don't have to get the killing blow with a Martial Artist. Basically just go by Upover and wander around fighting golems and using only Attack. Took me about 5-10 min to get all 3. It probably helps if your characters have enough weapon skill for the crit+, or high deftness.

Hyunkel6

Any tips for the spear level 30 quest "Operation Mercury"? The one is which you have to
kill those 3 stacked metal slimes with pressure pointer
3 times. I'm doing really low damage on them, and they keep fleeing. Should I switch my priest to paladin to increase the odds of 1 hit killing?

Forkball

Gravijah said:
Man, don't you hate when you work towards alchemizing a badass item... And then... It doesn't match your gear?!

This. What's worse is that you make a badass item, but it's for a different gender than the character you have, so you can't even use it. Or you make a weaker item than what you already have equipped. They should really tell you the stats before you make it.

botticus

BooJoh said:
You don't have to get the killing blow with a Martial Artist. Basically just go by Upover and wander around fighting golems and using only Attack. Took me about 5-10 min to get all 3. It probably helps if your characters have enough weapon skill for the crit+, or high deftness.
Just wait for the quest where you have to kill two mobs with crits while they're angry. That took me until my final run through the last dungeon.

Forkball said:
This. What's worse is that you make a badass item, but it's for a different gender than the character you have, so you can't even use it. Or you make a weaker item than what you already have equipped. They should really tell you the stats before you make it.
You can see the stats by hitting L/R on the recipe screen. But it doesn't tell you how it compares to current equipment.

Gravijah

Forkball said:

Press R on the item in the alchemy menu. You're welcome.

rpmurphy

Gravijah said:
Any place to farm
Hephaestus' flame?
I just now got the
boat
In the cave west of Port Llaffan, there are toads that carry jars of toad's oil.

Jeels said:
Also, what do you get from the Granite Tunnel of Woe?
An asskicking.

Gravijah

rpmurphy said:
In the cave west of Port Llaffan, there are toads that carry jars of toad's oil.

An asskicking.

Thank you... crap... that means I need
LAVA LUMPS!
How about those?

botticus

Did I miss it or has no one mentioned the new job change mechanic after beating the game?

Revocate resets your job level from 99 (once you get there) to 1 while keeping all your skills so you can continue earning new skill points forever.

God knows how long it would take to get to 99.

Getting kind of tired of post-game.
Baramos
is far too random and his crits are a wipe on the wrong party member with no kazing. Spent a good 10 hours stat and shield grinding, but LMS are getting really slow now. I think I pretty much need the Metal King Map to level in a decent time frame, and god knows when I'll get that. Until then I die to
Baramos
4 times out of 5. Most of the quests just aren't rewarding enough to be worth the setup either.

Jeels

So what's everyone's favorite little story so far, mine has to be the one in Bloomingdale.
The entire story of the little girl and the doll actually evoked an emotional response from me, seeing the grave of the husband and wife, etc etc. Also I found the thieves to be really humorous.

Ravidrath

Almost done soloing my main guy up to finish the Armamentalist Lv40 quest... was missing Life Fource.

Question... what is the elemental paradigm in this game, exactly? Cyclical? Opposition? There isn't much elemental info in the game, and it's never really been a big deal in other DQ games.

Like... what elements should I be using against which enemies on my Armamentalist?

I... mostly leveled the job 'cause the gear looks awesome, and reminds me of my FFXI love, Red Mage.

Forkball

botticus said:
You can see the stats by hitting L/R on the recipe screen. But it doesn't tell you how it compares to current equipment.

Sheeeeeeeeit. Is there any ways I can look up the base stats for my weapons and armor I already have equipped so I know the one I alchemize will be better?

Anyways, I'm at
Batsureg right now. Best cleric ever. I actually did Swinedimps Academy before this, I wondered why that area was tougher than normal.

I'm kinda unhappy with my priest though. Yeah, his healing is super useful, but he really doesn't do that much damage in battles. I thought about switching him to a paladin or something, but I heard it's better to have a character that is good at one thing instead of a jack of all trades.

Gravijah

Forkball said:
Sheeeeeeeeit. Is there any ways I can look up the base stats for my weapons and armor I already have equipped so I know the one I alchemize will be better?

Anyways, I'm at
Batsureg right now. Best cleric ever. I actually did Swinedimps Academy before this, I wondered why that area was tougher than normal.

I'm kinda unhappy with my priest though. Yeah, his healing is super useful, but he really doesn't do that much damage in battles. I thought about switching him to a paladin or something, but I heard it's better to have a character that is good at one thing instead of a jack of all trades.

http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq9ds/

On the right side. Not sure if urrthing is there.

Ravidrath

Forkball said:

I'm in the same boat, pretty much. Thinking I'm going to make him a Sage after I finish the story, so he can do something useful on the turns he isn't healing.

Aeana

Freyjadour said:
God knows how long it would take to get to 99.

Getting kind of tired of post-game.
Baramos
is far too random and his crits are a wipe on the wrong party member with no kazing. Spent a good 10 hours stat and shield grinding, but LMS are getting really slow now. I think I pretty much need the Metal King Map to level in a decent time frame, and god knows when I'll get that. Until then I die to
Baramos
4 times out of 5. Most of the quests just aren't rewarding enough to be worth the setup either.
As I told someone else earlier in the thread, you can fight king metals in the Tower of Nod.

Gravijah

animlboogy said:
So how long is it taking most of you to finish the story? Not including multiplayer and such I'm enjoying it so much I sort of wish it was a DQVII style behemoth.

I'm going really slow so I've got about 35 hours in and I've only just gotten the
boat.

thetechkid

So I don't have any recipes for weapon higher than the Fire Sword and I want something a bit stronger
for the end of the story boss/dungeon
. Any suggestions of what I can do?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
animlboogy said:
So how long is it taking most of you to finish the story? Not including multiplayer and such. I'm enjoying it so much I sort of wish it was a DQVII style behemoth.

Forty hours here on what I think is the beginning of the endgame. However, I've been grinding like crazy I mean exploring.

BooJoh

thetechkid said:
So I don't have any recipes for weapon higher than the Fire Sword and I want something a bit stronger
for the end of the story boss/dungeon
. Any suggestions of what I can do?
I think you should have the Inferno Blade recipe by then. If not you could make it without the recipe if you don't feel guilty doing it.
Fire blade x 1 + Sunstone x 1 + Rockbomb shard x 3
But personally I used the Uber Miracle Sword. 6 less Attack, but it leeches hp when you attack.
Miracle sword x 1 + Life bracer x 2
Or if you're lucky enough to have an Orichalcum, you could get a huge attack boost with
Erdrick's Sword
Rusty sword x 1 + Glass frit x 9 + Orichalcum x 1

I'm at about 43 hours and still have 3 Fyggs to go. Been playing multiplayer and exploring and questing.....there is plenty to do in this game and it has kept my interest well :)

Aeana said:
As I told someone else earlier in the thread, you can fight king metals in the Tower of Nod.
I had read that Kings were really rare there. Only showed up in other groups of enemies. Would be great if there were a bowhole type area.

STG

yes! tomorrow release day here and amazon just shipped my copy

The Hype train has now finally entered Europe! \o/ \o/

Oxx

Mafro said:
Got my UK copy this morning, can't wait to get stuck in. The little slime stack keyring preorder bonus is awesome.

:lol

I just opened my mail and rushed onto Gaf to mention how pathetic the key-ring is.

Has there ever been a decent pre-order gift for a game on a Nintendo system? Or a decent Collector's Edition?

Mafro

Oxx said:

I just opened my mail and rushed onto Gaf to mention how pathetic the key-ring is.
gg.png

Oxx said:
Has there ever been a decent pre-order gift for a game on a Nintendo system? Or a decent Collector's Edition?
US edition of Prime Trilogy in the steelbook with the little artwork leaflet thing is the best I can think of. The CE of HotD: Overkill came in a slipcase with a preview comic. Muramasa came with a big wall scroll of artwork. Scribblenauts came with that ridiculous rooster hat :lol

the-iek

Oxx said:

Wind Waker came with Ocarina of Time.

Oxx

I bought the HOTD: O 'Collector's Edition'. That comic was not worth the extra £5.

I guess the Atlus DS games take the prize. *Checks Etrian O III pre-order*

Fewr

Oxx said:

Killer Instinct - Killer Cuts

Top Bottom