• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

wrowa

the-iek said:
Uh, where's Bowhole? I'm playing the German version of the game and the names are just too different and there's no German map yet.
In order to play it in English, you just have to change the language settings of your DS to English.

botticus

Freyjadour said:
Bowhole, on b3 by stairs to b4, top right corner of the little "island" there, face upward and open the menu. You'll see spawns in the bottom left corner every 10 seconds or so, they'll look at you and then walk over the bridge. Just sit there in the menu until you see a LMS and the run at it asap.

Works, but sometimes they just don't feel like showing up or if they do they keep running on the first turn.
Ah, okay. I saw some mention of that area online, but couldn't see exactly where. I was sitting on the platform north of that bridge which was a pretty good spot for the LMS, but once three mobs spawned, they didn't go away.

I just finished the town of Bloomingdale, if you're worried about spoilers in the following story:

I was so mad last night. The Miracle Sword came up on DQVC and I decided to grind for it. I just got my boat and first treasure map. So I decided to use the map and hunt for gold in there. I almost had enough for the sword, and then came upon the grotto's boss. I had no idea that he was so ridiculously hard. He wiped me and I lost half my gold. Then, I decided to just jump in the boat and go find a place that was level appropriate to grind for cash.

For some reason, the monsters in the water just north of Stromwell are tough. I ran immediately into a group of five of those bird guys with the spears and two of those blue guys. I they're not in my bestiary, so I can't tell you what they're really called. Anyway, I wiped again! I was so pissed.

EDIT: Then I came upon the town of Bastureg, which I hadn't touched yet or even been to. But it turned out to be a pretty good place for me to earn some gold, and I made just enough to get the sword, which I zoomed back to Stromwell and picked up before falling asleep. I love this game.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
the miracle sword came up for me on Sunday, is the store not the same for everyone? Or how often does it update?

levious said:
the miracle sword came up for me on Sunday, is the store not the same for everyone? Or how often does it update?

Hmm, I don't know, but I'm in the Central US time zone, which means the store changes at about 2AM for me (I think). I believe it updates every day. Mine definitely had the MS yesterday, so maybe it is different for everyone.

GeekyDad

gogojira said:
Ha, I'm so confused on how this all works. Last night I ended my game just before getting to finally switch vocations (I think) so hopefully it'll become clearer.

Can you swap back and forth between classes without any repercussions? No skill or leveling hits, or anything like that?

I'm actually pretty content with my party aside from my main. I've got him leaning heavy into swords so far and I'd like to keep it that way, is there a specific class I should be leaning toward? Based on what I read, Rangers can't use swords, right?

The way it works is, when you switch a vocation, you begin at level 1 for that vocation. Of course, as you progress, the level for that vocation stays with you. For instance, if you switch from a level-15 minstrel to a warrior, level up your warrior to 15, and then switch back to minstrel, you'll be a level-15 minstrel again. All of your skills stay with you, however, regardless of which vocation you switch to. However, certain vocations only allow you to use certain equipment, so unless you max out the skills for a particular weapon of shields, you might not be able to use those when taking up another vocation. Spells are also vocation-specific. Though your abilities (from skills) will carry over across vocations, spells will not. You won't lose them when switching to another vocation; you just won't be able to use them outside of a specific vocation.

In layman's terms, no, there's no penalty for switching vocations. But you will have to work each vocation from the ground up in a sense.

rpmurphy

Just got the
Auto-filch
trait for my thief. Does anyone know how the
auto-stealing works, like whether it is at a reduced rate, works on every turn, or you can get multiple items?

rpmurphy said:
Just got the
Auto-filch
auto-stealing works, like whether it is at a reduced rate, works on every turn, or you can get multiple items?

How do you get that ability? Just Level 40 on my thief and maxed out thief specific skills.

Got obliterated for the first time during the
king godwyn(second form) fight
. My party members are all Lv 40, i lasted for a bit but the Frizz + group attack eventually got too much.

botticus

ExtraKr1spy said:
How do you get that ability? Just Level 40 on my thief and maxed out thief specific skills.

. My party members are all Lv 40, i lasted for a bit but the Frizz + group attack eventually got too much.
Part of those battles turns into luck, but do you have a Priest with Multiheal? That starts to become, if not a necessity, a very-good-to-have. I had a similar experience with the fight before that until I got the extra couple levels necessary for that spell.

botticus said:
Part of those battles turns into luck, but do you have a Priest with Multiheal? That starts to become, if not a necessity, a very-good-to-have. I had a similar experience with the fight before that until I got the extra couple levels necessary for that spell.

I do.

I was pretty much Multihealing every other turn.

Probably need to upgrade my equipment to the ones that help out against fire attack(Frizzle is fire ?)

rpmurphy

ExtraKr1spy said:

Finish the thieving guild quests at the Dourbridge pub. You are rewarded an item that grants the ability to any member holding it.

Bentendo

Yay, I got the Gladiator vocation.

Now, I have a question. What is the best way to level up a character after changing vocations???

Also, can Gladiators wield shields?

Bentendo said:
Yay, I got the Gladiator vocation.

Now, I have a question. What is the best way to level up a character after changing vocations???

Also, can Gladiators wield shields?
Killing monsters works for me.

Edit: And they can only equip shields if a different class has mastered the shield skill.

Bentendo

ScrabbleDude said:
Killing monsters works for me.

:lol I meant should I put away some of my party members and go solo in some of the earlier sections or keep them all with me and fight in some of the more challenging areas.

mjc

So I've got kind of a stupid question.

I'm about six hours in or so..and combat has essentially been me spamming the attack button until the enemies die. Occasionally I'll have to use heal or squelch to cure someone. It does get a bit more challenging right? I know that traditionally most DQ games aren't too hard but this is pretty much a cakewalk so far. For reference I'm just past the part where
you get the train back up to the celestrials and you land on the first blue tree.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hmmm... Should I go to the advanced class levels? I don't really want to relevel-up all my characters.

Is the game still beatable with the initial classes?

mjc said:
So I've got kind of a stupid question.

I'm about six hours in or so..and combat has essentially been me spamming the attack button until the enemies die. Occasionally I'll have to use heal or squelch to cure someone. It does get a bit more challenging right? I know that traditionally most DQ games aren't too hard but this is pretty much a cakewalk so far. For reference I'm just past the part where
you get the train back up to the celestrials and you land on the first blue tree.
Yes. Think of any jrpg, your skillset is limited and they can't put you in dire situations yet.

This is no Nocturne Hard Mode though, so don't expect a LOT of trouble until postgame.

Bentendo said:
:lol I meant should I put away some of my party members and go solo in some of the earlier sections or keep them all with me and fight in some of the more challenging areas.
Oh, just change a vocation and keep playing like normal. The character with the new class won't take long to catch up and as long as you can put some newer armour on them, they should survive.

If you place them in the last slot they'll be targeted by fewer attacks.

Aeana

ULTROS! said:
Hmmm... Should I go to the advanced class levels? I don't really want to relevel-up all my characters.

Is the game still beatable with the initial classes?
They'll level up quickly provided you don't change everyone at once. The experience curve in the game is very kind. Switch one or two characters and continue on normally, and they'll be caught up in no time.

Vinci

Danish
Is the story portion of this game meant to be easy as hell or what? I didn't run around and grind or anything, but I'm going through bosses without much difficulty.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat the master of nu'un!
I'm a little confused about this whole vocation thing.

Aeana

Vinci said:
Is the story portion of this game meant to be easy as hell or what? I didn't run around and grind or anything, but I'm going through bosses without much difficulty.
How far are you in the game? There are a few bosses in the latter part that I found to be a bit challenging, but in the end, it's still a Dragon Quest game: balanced so anybody can complete it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Okay whoever thought doing a PALADIN quest regarding the Pincushion ability was a prick. Paladins get so much resilience you are only giving out 1 or 2 damage at most, 3 or 4 if you unequip yourself of everything else.

Never again!

mjc

I was dreading the fight with the
Wight Knight
from all the posts here but I beat him in one try. He was somewhat challenging though. Can't say the same for the
plague-monster
boss though, that guy was easy as pie.

Aeana said:
How far are you in the game? There are a few bosses in the latter part that I found to be a bit challenging, but in the end, it's still a Dragon Quest game: balanced so anybody can complete it.
That's one of the great things about Dragon Quest. Even if you were to do nothing but throw yourself at a dungeon over and over dying in the dungeon every time -- eventually you would win.

Vinci

Danish
Aeana said:

I'm still early on, really. So yeah, I'll just keep playing and having fun and see how it goes over time. Loving the game so far.

I am to lazy to search right now. When can i start using the DQ VC? I just helped the WK find peace. Also am i missing recruits? I have been fighting solo the whole time so far.

Vinci

Danish
Gillian Seed said:
I am to lazy to search right now. When can i start using the DQ VC? I just helped the WK find peace. Also am i missing recruits? I have been fighting solo the whole time so far.

Stornway Inn. Go there.

rpmurphy

Gillian Seed said:
For DQVC, you have to reach
the Abbey and then go back to Stornway Inn.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What am I supposed to do at the alltrades abbey after I defeated the master of nu'un and got jack to return.
I'm just running around do all the quests from there.. is this how I progress the story.

Jtwo said:
What am I supposed to do at the alltrades abbey after I defeated the master of nu'un and got jack to return.
I'm just running around do all the quests from there.. is this how I progress the story.
Explore the rest of the island that the Abbey is on.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh right, I saw that thing and said "eh, ill come back to this later." :lol

Philthy

Yeah, the game seemed to turn less linear, or at the very least, less forced in what you're supposed to do right around that point. I am finding myself not knowing what to do next, so I just wander until I run into a plot point.

botticus

Time to go back and get my Armamentalist a few more levels in Minstrel for Egg On as I was planning to do ages ago. Psyching myself up to 100 takes forever. Now let's see how long it takes me to kill a LMS - probably will have been easier to just trek through the final dungeon for a few minutes.

Er, wait, I guess Egg On is not a minstrel skill. And that makes me sad.

Tiktaalik

It's funny that earlier in this thread I was lamenting how it seemed that no hardcore gamer I knew was interested in the game, and how I'd likely not play any multiplayer, because it's turned out that the game has become surprisingly popular at my office and there's quite a bit of lunch time multiplayer sessions going on.

There's actually six people who were playing at lunch, and I know of a few others in the area across other companies that are playing. It's been interesting to see how people are playing and how they're finding the game.

The most interesting thing to me is that of all the people I know who have played the game three have made the error of not realizing that they can recruit additional party members at the Stornway Inn and they attempted to go and beat the Wight Knight by themselves. :lol I wonder if that'll end up being a common problem that could impede people's progress through the game.

Later today I might do a little survey to find out if all these folks were secret DQ fans or if Nintendo's advertising and buzz got them to try out the game for the first time.

BooJoh

rpmurphy said:
Just got the
Auto-filch
Basically you will randomly, and very rarely,
get a message popup at the end of battle that says "Managed to steal X."

botticus

Story beaten in about 59 hours, with a Paladin (34), Ranger (42), Priest (44) and Armamentalist (41). Just in time too, since my healer was incapacitated with the last boss attack. Honestly had a harder time with some of the bosses leading up to the finale, which is okay in my book - I'm usually pretty weaksauce.

rush777

In regards to post game, what is the best place to grind Exp?? I've been using the Blowhole metal slimes but around level 40 it starts to get slooooow. I'm guessing I have to wait for high level treasure maps?

Aeana

rush777 said:
In regards to post game, what is the best place to grind Exp?? I've been using the Blowhole metal slimes but around level 40 it starts to get slooooow. I'm guessing I have to wait for high level treasure maps?
There are also king metal slimes in the Tower of Nod... which is...err, I think north of Coffinwell
requires the train
? Don't remember too well.

Vamphuntr

I'm not sure what do I have to do in the post game content. I
did the Leviathan quest, ate the fruit and got the train back
. Most of the new areas are either empty or contains annoying quest which gave me terrible reward. I still have to do the one requiring hexite. Is there more story. Is it possible to get exclusive treasure map after beating the game?

Cuu

I just alchemized the Slood. I lol'd. Soooo awesome. :lol :lol :lol :lol

I also just got my ass handed to me at Hogwarts. Ugh. I'm used to kicking all sorts of ass, but this game continues to destroy me ._. I cannot wait to get rid of my mage, the bane of my existence in this game.

Link Man said:
Well, it's been a while since I last updated, so here we go:

DQParty3.jpg

Krilin, who used to be my priest, is now a gladiator. This is solely to master axes, so he can be an axe-wielding priest.

Hahaha, I have a Krilin character too. After I noticed my main looked a little like Goku, I changed my normal "cuu" to "GoCuu." Though, I didn't want to just name him Krilin, so I named him Krylon for some reason. He's wearing my Slood now. I'll try to take pics.

Aeana

Vamphuntr said:
I'm not sure what do I have to do in the post game content. I
did the Leviathan quest, ate the fruit and got the train back
. Most of the new areas are either empty or contains annoying quest which gave me terrible reward. I still have to do the one requiring hexite. Is there more story. Is it possible to get exclusive treasure map after beating the game?
The post-game is all about quests and treasure map dungeons. DLC quests will probably be the most interesting part. One of the quests you can do on the northeastern island gets you a legacy map which is pretty cool.

Vamphuntr

Aeana said:
The post-game is all about quests and treasure map dungeons. DLC quests will probably be the most interesting part. One of the quests you can do on the northeastern island gets you a legacy map which is pretty cool.

When I go there it's empty :( . When I inspect the bookcase it says that no one is home. There is a cave with a skeleton in it.

Cuu

34sfip0.jpg

Sorry for the blurry. My phone's camera apparently is craptastic at taking macro images in the dark. Works pretty well for papers though. It also wants to flash everything which is why my finger is in one of the pictures trying to cover the flash >_>

Top Bottom