• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Gravijah

Boney said:
Yay it's finally here! Now I need to decide if I'm getting it or not. :lol
:(

YOU BEST GET IT

Is anyone having issues updating their DQVC? Mine didn't actually update today, and a friend said his hasn't worked in a few days.

Forkball

Ok I don't understand the quest called Operation Mercury. Do I have to only use Pressure Pointer to kill the slimes, or does it only need to be the final blow? I keep using pressure pointer, and even though the description says it's an instant kill attack, it only does 1 HP damage.

Aeana

Forkball said:
Ok I don't understand the quest called Operation Mercury. Do I have to only use Pressure Pointer to kill the slimes, or does it only need to be the final blow? I keep using pressure pointer, and even though the description says it's an instant kill attack, it only does 1 HP damage.
The instant kill effect has to trigger. If it fails, it'll either miss or do 1 damage. If it succeeds, they'll just die.

Instro

Gravijah said:
YOU BEST GET IT

Is anyone having issues updating their DQVC? Mine didn't actually update today, and a friend said his hasn't worked in a few days.

I dont think anyone's updated today, apparently this is in preparation for DLC tomorrow or something.

Gonna swap my Ranger to Sage and Sage back to Mage and see how that pans out. I seem to have more success buffing and protecting one massive damage source than letting 2-3 have at it.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned but I'm only about 7 hours into the game but I must note that I love that the menus can be cycled by any button press, The A button on my DS Lite is dying from over use.

BooJoh

Instro said:
I dont think anyone's updated today, apparently this is in preparation for DLC tomorrow or something.
So when the DQVC doesn't update we can expect DLC the next day? Or is this just speculation based on last week?
Freyjadour said:
Gonna swap my Ranger to Sage and Sage back to Mage and see how that pans out. I seem to have more success buffing and protecting one massive damage source than letting 2-3 have at it.
I tend to keep my Gladiator using Falcon Slash unless he's recasting Feel the Burn, and my Thief using Wolf Whistle, while my Sage is on constant heal duty only casting Right as Rain or Kabuff when he has downtime. Meanwhile My Armamentalist is using Fources, Oomph, Acceleratle, M-Pathy, and anything else to maximize damage output by the first two.

I used to Psych Up to 100 in most boss fights for massive damage, but starting around the second-to-last boss and continuing into the grottoes Disrupting Wave is just too common to be able to rely on tension to stay up.

BitchTits

Promo banner at the top of amazon.co.uk (goes across top of page):

Nintendo_Pushdown_collapsed_300x69_v6._V187875622_.png

Nice :)

DarkKyo

Oxx said:
I've played the game for 4.5 hours today, apparently.

I still want more.
I played 6 my first day...

So... will I know the point of no return in this game when I see it? I really want to do a lot of crafting and questing before the end of the story.

Dechaios said:
So... will I know the point of no return in this game when I see it? I really want to do a lot of crafting and questing before the end of the story.

There's not really a point of no return. You can (I think) ALWAYS leave the final dungeon and alchemize/quest some more. I returned home several times to cook up new equipment.

On another note, I cleared the game for the first time this morning. All in all I'd say it's my favorite DQ*. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to motivate myself through the post-game. High-end alchemy ingredients are so rare, and treasure dungeons so bland (except for the bosses, I guess)... On the other hand, I haven't had a chance to check out the online features yet. Maybe those will keep me going a while.

*I think the flip-side to DQ's remarkable consistency as a series is that particular installments rarely show brilliance in more than one or two areas. I haven't played a DQ that was markedly worse than the others, but I haven't played one that stood head and shoulders above the others either.

Gravijah said:
This happened last Thursday as well. I hope it's not an ongoing Thursday thing, but who knows?

BooJoh

Okay so I finally just beat the first legacy boss
Baramos
and now it says
he wants to keep the experiece points for himself. 59,000 xp is nothing to give up lightly,
can anyone tell me what I'll get in return?

Dechaios said:
I played 6 my first day...

You should know when it's coming up. But you might consider that there's a lot more you can do after you finish the main story, in terms of new quests, new locations, crafting mats, xp opportunities, etc.

Koomaster

BooJoh said:
Baramos
and now it says
he wants to keep the experiece points for himself. 59,000 xp is nothing to give up lightly,
From what I've read
these bosses have the chance of dropping different equipment at different levels. Like Baramos has a special set of armor for you to farm off of him. For example at levels say 1-6 he'll drop the helmet, levels 7-10 the gloves, etc. so it's really something for the 100% completionists. And you definitely shouldn't give him the exp if he didn't drop the piece of armor for those levels.

BooJoh

Koomaster said:
From what I've read
these bosses have the chance of dropping different equipment at different levels. Like Baramos has a special set of armor for you to farm off of him. For example at levels say 1-6 he'll drop the helmet, levels 7-10 the gloves, etc. so it's really something for the 100% completionists. And you definitely shouldn't give him the exp if he didn't drop the piece of armor for those levels.
Thanks, I'll just keep farming it then.

Victrix

*beard*
decoyplatypus said:
*I think the flip-side to DQ's remarkable consistency as a series is that particular installments rarely show brilliance in more than one or two areas. I haven't played a DQ that was markedly worse than the others, but I haven't played one that stood head and shoulders above the others either.

I'm in the same boat, DQ for me is a relaxing, turn my brain off sort of game. I don't play them to be surprised or impressed, they're purely to pass the time and chill out.

Which isn't a bad thing really, but it's nothing that gets me super excited either.

Link Man

Banned
Quest transgressed with...a modicum of dignity!

You know, a fan paladin sounds like a really good idea. Just imagine, Reverse Cycle and Forbearance against a boss who spams breath attacks. Awesome.

Aeana

Victrix said:
I'm in the same boat, DQ for me is a relaxing, turn my brain off sort of game. I don't play them to be surprised or impressed, they're purely to pass the time and chill out.

Which isn't a bad thing really, but it's nothing that gets me super excited either.
There are moments in every DQ game that give me goosebumps. Horii writes such wonderful scenarios, and I look forward to them in each new game. The best part is that even when I replay them, I get the same feelings. That's why I'm a DQ fan.

Link Man said:
Quest transgressed with...a modicum of dignity!

You know, a fan paladin sounds like a really good idea. Just imagine, Reverse Cycle and Forbearance against a boss who spams breath attacks. Awesome.
Yea, I use a fan Paladin. It makes a great combination, in my opinion. With hustle dance, I barely even need my sage to ever heal. The only problem is that he looks a little cheesy with his fan when he is wearing Paladin armor :lol

botticus

I'm currently LMS grinding in the post game, though I'm not sure what my end goal is.

I know my hero is just going to work on Paladin/Warrior/Gladiator, but my Ranger is at a level where skill points are crappy, so I'd have to switch to a class I don't want to use to really build him up further. Priest is maxing Paladin. Kind of grooming my Armamentalist for Sage-hood, but that will probably be overly redundant with my Priest who is pretty well specialized. So yeah.

Instro

Eteric Rice said:
Guys, where can I get an iron axe? Can't find any in the shops, nor can I make one. :(

I think you can buy them in Porth Llaffan.

Anyone know which monster in Tywll Cave has the wand for the backscratcher quest?

Link Man

Banned
Instro said:
I think you can buy them in Porth Llaffan.

Anyone know which monster in Tywll Cave has the wand for the backscratcher quest?
It's dropped by a random monster, so just keep fighting.

I think I'm going to make my main guy a Sword/Boomerang Armamentalist, but do they have good strength? Can they equip good armor?

Synless

OK, I just got my ability to change vocations. I went back to stornway to complete quest #3 and it wont work. It asks for a pirouette, clap, jump, and air punch in that order, I've done this many times. Help!!

Aeana

Synless said:
OK, I just got my ability to change vocations. I went back to stornway to complete quest #3 and it wont work. It asks for a pirouette, clap, jump, and air punch in that order, I've done this many times. Help!!
Put them on the down arrow, so they are played out in order automatically.

botticus

Link Man said:

I think I'm going to make my main guy a Sword/Boomerang Armamentalist, but do they have good strength? Can they equip good armor?
In general I think they're a fine class. Wouldn't hurt to get them some levels in Paladin or Warrior for resilience/strengths boosts though.

BooJoh said:
Baramos
and now it says

You should know when it's coming up. But you might consider that there's a lot more you can do after you finish the main story, in terms of new quests, new locations, crafting mats, xp opportunities, etc.

Get the drop before you give him experience though. Otherwise you have to find another map to get the gear. Each time you give him experience he increases a level. The tables for what he drops when are on GameFAQs I think.

I'm finally to the point where I can beat that consistently, but it's really boring fighting him over and over and I'm sure the next one will be just as irritating :lol. I'm at 65 hours now and should probably just come back to this before VI.

thetechkid

botticus said:
Chest in the final dungeon. A floor or two before the final gauntlet.

Is it in the room blocked by light? I've gone from the start to right before the tiger guy guarding the room on the top floor and I can't find it

botticus

thetechkid said:
Is it in the room blocked by light? I've gone from the start to right before the tiger guy guarding the room on the top floor and I can't find it
You can get it before fighting him.
There was a fork after fighting Hootingham. Going left takes you to the next guy. Going right takes you to the sword. I missed it my first time through since I thought the outdoor path looped around, but it's a different area.

Aeana said:
There are moments in every DQ game that give me goosebumps. Horii writes such wonderful scenarios, and I look forward to them in each new game. The best part is that even when I replay them, I get the same feelings. That's why I'm a DQ fan.

I agree that every DQ has a few goosebump moments (I should say that I share your reaction since your cutaneous response is not up for agreement or disagreement). What I would say is that those moments are not necessarily story-related for me. DQ5 and DQ7 both feature scenarios that, at times, transcend the simple graphics, presentation, and even words* with which Horii is working. The scene in DQ5 where
the hero stands frozen as a statue in a young family's yard
is a brilliant demonstration of Horii's gift for compact storytelling. I don't think DQ4 or 8 show anything so remarkable in their scenarios. The goosebump moments in those games, in my experience, come from different places (music, exploration, ...). My criticism of the series, and it's a very gentle criticism, is that as much as I enjoy the games all being very good, I sometimes think they don't try hard enough to be distinctly great. 7's music and writing are among the best in the series, but otherwise it does little to stand out in a positive way from its predecessors. DQ9's graphics, presentation, and gameplay balance are all very strong, but the central story is no better than DQ4's, and the vignettes are not the most memorable in the series.

But perhaps I'm being grumpy because DQ9 surpassed my expectations (I was pretty concerned going in about the job system and the lack of random encounters) and was on its way to giving me a clear favorite DQ, but the story was so weak compared to 5 and 7 that now I'm leaning toward a three-way tie again.

*I'm assuming the translation is faithful, and I don't mean that he's an unsophisticated writer by any means. Only that he's intentionally using a limited palette.

Also, I love my fan paladin.

Aeana

decoyplatypus said:
I agree that every DQ has a few goosebump moments (I should say that I share your reaction since your cutaneous response is not up for agreement or disagreement). What I would say is that those moments are not necessarily story-related for me. DQ5 and DQ7 both feature scenarios that, at times, transcend the simple graphics, presentation, and even words* with which Horii is working.
Well, yes, I tend to agree with this part. I get plenty of these moments just as I'm walking around.

As for the other stuff you said... I don't necessarily agree, but I'll just leave it at that.

BooJoh

Freyjadour said:
Get the drop before you give him experience though. Otherwise you have to find another map to get the gear. Each time you give him experience he increases a level. The tables for what he drops when are on GameFAQs I think.

I'm finally to the point where I can beat that consistently, but it's really boring fighting him over and over and I'm sure the next one will be just as irritating :lol. I'm at 65 hours now and should probably just come back to this before VI.
I got a Silver Orb on my first kill, the boots on my second, and nothing on the third. I might try to get some more boots but I'm undecided. Does his difficulty ramp up a lot when he levels up?

oh god at last i beat
master of nu'un
. I've been trying the whole day to finish him off.

in case of any one is stuck over there. his HP is around 800, try to use Crackle and find Magic Water if possible, It will help you a lot and with a little bit of luck (critical hit) and Coup de grace you'll definitely beat him.

Forkball

I fought the boss in
the Bowhole
and while it wasn't hard, it was pretty frustrating. I reached super tension with my martial artist twice and used Propeller Blades, which normally does several hundred hit points of damage, but he blocked the first strike BOTH times so it was all for nothing. My Mage recently learned Frizzle and I used it often in this battle, it's actually a pretty useful spell. In previous boss battles my mage pretty much just sat around buffing, but it's nice to have some heavy hitting attacks finally.

Also (major story spoilers after you get the fyggs)
I knew my teacher was going to betray me. I knew it!

thetechkid

botticus said:
You can get it before fighting him.
There was a fork after fighting Hootingham. Going left takes you to the next guy. Going right takes you to the sword. I missed it my first time through since I thought the outdoor path looped around, but it's a different area.

Do you mean from the entrance into the palace? Because when you go in and go to the right and take the passage, before the stares at the end of that path with the 6 cheats, you end up at the tiger guy. I looked all over and opened all the chests I could find but I still don't have it.

jiggle

fyggs
in
liked most of the mini stories
but the over all story(or the lack of) sux so far

how far am i?
hope this improves soon

Instro

Link Man said:

Strength is pretty good with the Armamentalist, mine has a little bit more than my Paladin and both are the same level. Currently hes level 32 with 135 strength. And yeah they can equip pretty much every armor(or at least any of the ones Ive ran into so far). Plus they have enough MP to spam some good spells and techs, like if you went with swords you can use gigaslash very effectively.

Hey guys what do you think is better, Ethereal Armor or the Paladins class armor from the level 15 quest(Holy Mail)?

I need to take some shots of my party later, they are pretty cool looking atm. My hero has nearly 300 style too! :D Heading to
Bowhole
next btw, 43 hours in or so.

BooJoh said:
I got a Silver Orb on my first kill, the boots on my second, and nothing on the third. I might try to get some more boots but I'm undecided. Does his difficulty ramp up a lot when he levels up?

Oh yes. Disruptive Wave :lol

BooJoh

A friend just told me they connected to the DQVC an hour or two before it updates, and like everyone else they didn't get restocked. Then I told them when I got the new quests/guest and they connected, 30 min or so after the update, and it told them they can't connect more than once a day.

I think it may be a bug that occurs if you connect to the shop, then try to connect again after the update, but without having turned the game off between the two connections. Either way, I think it screws you out of the daily update for a day, so beware.

I'm under the impression that the DLC quests will always be there to download if you don't have them, and the guests stay up for a week, is this correct?

thetechkid said:
Do you mean from the entrance into the palace? Because when you go in and go to the right and take the passage, before the stares at the end of that path with the 6 cheats, you end up at the tiger guy. I looked all over and opened all the chests I could find but I still don't have it.
Hate to be the bearer of spoilers, but
Gittingham Palace is not the last dungeon.

BooJoh said:
I think it may be a bug that occurs if you connect to the shop, then try to connect again after the update, but without having turned the game off between the two connections. Either way, I think it screws you out of the daily update for a day, so beware.
I don't think this is the case. I almost never turn off my game and I connect every morning at 6:30. The only two days it hasn't updated were this Thursday and last Thursday.

I wonder what it means when a quest says "story" next to it.

Top Bottom