• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Fewr

ACE 1991 said:
So for the gladiator vocation does using a priest to put the slimes to sleep keep them from running away?
That could work. I completed the quest by battling those slimes that keep calling their friends to form a king slime.

Just finished Coffinwell
Catarrhina!!! :'(

Really enjoying myself with this, think I've got over not being 100% happy with the characters I created :p Pretty hard not to love pretty much everything about this and any other DQ game really :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Fewr said:
That could work. I completed the quest by battling those slimes that keep calling their friends to form a king slime.

Did this too, although it would be easier if the slimes were around 2-3.

bl65zg873lkg0adu8.jpg

Finally! Notice how they had to move the logo to the right. :lol

Ogni-XR21

Got the game today, including the slime figure. Only played half an hour by now since I have errands to run but I can't wait to play the whole weekend!

The slime figure is smaller than I expected yet the box it comes in is bigger than a regular game box...

jRPG

Slime figure o_O? Pictures? Where is that a pre-order bonus for?

Just unlocked the Krak Pot :D Loving it so far. But I need to charge the battery now :(.

I also finally picked this up yesterday, and am looking forward to a long weekend of slime bashing. Only played for a couple hours, but I'm really digging it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Quick question for you lovely DQ folk - I absolutely loved DQ5 and thought 4 was pretty good too. I tried and hated FF3 and 4. How will I find this game do you think? On the one hand I love the DQ combat but the FF style presentation turns me off. Should I go buy this or wait for 6?

botticus

So I guess it would have been smart to unlock Sage before beating the game?
Great Trolls were easy to come by in the last dungeon, but I didn't see one as I trekked through the Tower of Nod, where they apparently also spawn. Is there a specific location there I should be looking?

Is the LMS frequency based on the highest level party member or the lowest?

Woohoo! Major rainstorm here, so I pulled into a parking lot on my way to work to wait it out. Loaded up my game and got a red slime on the loading screen. Haven't noticed much different though... It was red blue blue. Wonder what it means.

Oxx

Does the fact that 3/4 of my party are rocking fairly similar armour suggest that I need to diversify my team a bit?

Plus, Jessie looks like an utter munter:

Photo010.jpg

Currently have Minstrel/Priest/Mage/Thief.

Disguises

This is going be my first dragon quest game! Played a lot of dragon warrior monsters on the GB and found Joker on the DS about a year ago and played that a lot (and was very impressed). Haven't really been following DQ9 until about a week ago where I started to notice the shining reviews from media. I don't mind the old RPG gameplay and that seems to be the only negative aspect in a lot of the reviews, so I'm sure I'll be happy :). Might just go to one of these events in the UK tomorrow
Oh god, I'm going to put in over 300 hours like Monster Hunter Tri aren't I?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Oxx said:
Does the fact that 3/4 of my party are rocking fairly similar armour suggest that I need to diversify my team a bit?

Plus, Jessie looks like an utter munter:

Photo010.jpg

Currently have Minstrel/Priest/Mage/Thief.

Kinda resembles my Martial Artist, Goku.

j98082.jpg

Cmagus

so im gathering materials to make stuff im curious how long does it generally take for the materials like brigten rock to respawn on the map or does it?

botticus said:
So I guess it would have been smart to unlock Sage before beating the game?
Great Trolls were easy to come by in the last dungeon, but I didn't see one as I trekked through the Tower of Nod, where they apparently also spawn. Is there a specific location there I should be looking?

Is the LMS frequency based on the highest level party member or the lowest?
You can go back to
the final dungeon by going to Realm of the Almighty and talking to the Celestian on the very top floor of the highest building. The Great Trolls there are on level six. Additionally, you can also beat the final boss again if you felt like it ;)

Pyrokai

Quick question that's probably already been answered somewhere in this thread, so I apologize for this, BUT:

Is the only way to change classes by meeting the Jack of Alltrades character? I don't want my main character to be a minstrel, and it seems like a very long ways until I meet this man :(

Forkball

Oh snap,
Alena from DQ IV
is in the Royal Suites.
I got her dress, although it's actually weaker than my current armor. Still cool though.

rpmurphy

Where do you get
Reckless Necklaces
?

Also, just received the minstrel's
Gritty Ditty
ability. The quest for it was rather annoying though.

Yaweee

How do the special characters in the Royal Suites work? How far do I have to be?

I haven't been playing DQ9 much as I finish P3P, but I don't want to miss any limited-time online events.

Oxx

Jedeye Sniv said:
Quick question for you lovely DQ folk - I absolutely loved DQ5 and thought 4 was pretty good too. I tried and hated FF3 and 4. How will I find this game do you think? On the one hand I love the DQ combat but the FF style presentation turns me off. Should I go buy this or wait for 6?

You sound a lot like me (although I haven't played FFIII).

It still looks and feels like a DQ game when you get down to it. The character models don't look amazing up-close, but all the visible customisation means that the game just about gets away with it.

botticus

Easystride said:
You can go back to
the final dungeon by going to Realm of the Almighty and talking to the Celestian on the very top floor of the highest building. The Great Trolls there are on level six. Additionally, you can also beat the final boss again if you felt like it ;)
Oh, awesome! I dropped by there but didn't bother looking around at all. Guess I'll head back after some more LMS grinding.

Doesn't seem like I'm going to be seeing my Mage/Armamentalist/Minstrel change into a Luminary anytime soon, though. :/

Synless

Yaweee said:
How do the special characters in the Royal Suites work? How far do I have to be?

I haven't been playing DQ9 much as I finish P3P, but I don't want to miss any limited-time online events.
I would like to know this too.

Forkball

Yaweee said:
I heard that they are permanent. Just connect to DQ VC and today's special guest should show up. Even if you don't connect today, the person will show up the next time you connect. I don't know if they all show up at once though if you don't connect for a while, it may be one at a time, but I really don't know.

Also, when you talk to today's special guest, you get a piece of armor. However, I have also read that you can get the rest of the outfit if you talk to the character on your birthday, if you complete a certain quest, talk to the character as a certain class (martial artist for this character), or have 30+ tags (lol America).

Jedeye Sniv said:
However it may look, the game is DQ through and through. Buy with a clear conscience. Also start saving for DQ6. You will want that too.

You get items from Alena

Alena's dress - Talk to her for the first time
Alena's Tights - Change the Hero into a Martial Artist and talk to her
Alena's Hat - Change your profile ingame to display your birthday then either wait til its your birthday or just change the DS clock to your birth date.

kinda sucks her equipment is weaker than the ones I have now. Her dress also adds small breast to male characters :lol

Other items involves finishing a certain quest and tag mode.

Synless

Fucking tag mode, no one anywhere near me has this game. I will never be able to get shit like that. Worst design decision ever for America.

Has anyoned tried making 2 or more Paladins use forbearance ?
Wondering if the blocked damage is split between them, or the blocking is random.

Synless said:
Worst design decision ever for America.
Agreed. I mean, they should've known better.

theMrCravens said:
Has anyoned tried making 2 or more Paladins use forbearance ?
Wondering if the blocked damage is split between them, or the blocking is random.

Agreed. I mean, they should've known better.
I wish they had found some other way to unlock things for the rest of the world.

I mean, designing for Japan makes sense with this series, but they should have put some other way in there.

Synless

Is it possible for someone to make a program that tricks the game into thinking its a tag? I'm sure it couldn't be that hard to make, right?

ACE 1991

Synless said:
Fucking tag mode, no one anywhere near me has this game. I will never be able to get shit like that. Worst design decision ever for America.
I'm sure it wasn't a design decision more so than it was a budgetary one.

Quick question...how do I get super-high tension on a character for the quests? I keep using Egg On, and get a couple of increases, then just messages saying the character's tension doesn't get super high.

Soroc

ULTROS! said:
Did this too, although it would be easier if the slimes were around 2-3.

Hit up the slimes outside bloomingdale. Thats where I did it. They need like 8 slimes to create the king slime so I just kept culling them down to 2-3 slimes with my part members while I got my tension all the way up to dragon slash. Finished the quest in just one battle.

ACE 1991 said:
I'm sure it wasn't a design decision more so than it was a budgetary one.
For the original version it was certainly a design decision. Horii's allowable budget for a Dragon Quest mainline entry is probably somewhere around ¥99999999999999999999999.

In terms of trying to change it somehow for the overseas release, yeah, probably would have been too expensive to tinker with the code given expected sales.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
chaostrophy said:
Quick question...how do I get super-high tension on a character for the quests? I keep using Egg On, and get a couple of increases, then just messages saying the character's tension doesn't get super high.

the jump to super high tension is not always successful, just try again

Forkball

Synless said:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but in order to get the special characters, you don't need tag mode, just connect to DQVC via WiFi. But I think to get one of today's character's armor, you have to have 30+ tags. But you can get the rest without tagging.

botticus

Non-optimal party: Warrior, Thief, Mage, Mage. But I need Magical Might!

One could use the Thief to heal when urgently necessary but I need his MP for metal slime hunting right now.

Changed classes before leaving the Tower of Trades so now grinding to level up these classes and absolutely loving every second of it :D
What's the general consensus on what to do at this point? Have each party member level up another class? Maybe 2 more?

Anyway, <3 <3 <3 this game!

Mafro

Segata Sanshiro said:
I wish they had found some other way to unlock things for the rest of the world.

I mean, designing for Japan makes sense with this series, but they should have put some other way in there.
Yup, the tag and multiplayer mode is entirely redundant to me due to none of my friends having any interest in this game. I'm still very annoyed that the multiplayer is local play only, the game loses a mark by default.

Man, I'm terrible at finding out where to go next. From Bloomingdale's I went to
Swinedimple Academy
, which was probably at least 8 or so levels above my group at the time. However, I soldiered on, grinded a bit, and continued on to beat the boss (after 3 tries - I was underleveled, I tells ya!). Afterwards, I found
the Nomad place in the Plains
and realized I was supposed to go there BEFORE the last place I cleared out. Then, after breezing through that, I found
Gleeba
and realized I was supposed to do that before the other one!!!

Jeez. :lol

Synless

Forkball said:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but in order to get the special characters, you don't need tag mode, just connect to DQVC via WiFi. But I think to get one of today's character's armor, you have to have 30+ tags. But you can get the rest without tagging.
Its that 30+ tags armor I'm talking about.

jRPG

Gotta echo the thoughts on the Tag mode. I'm hoping I'll be able to catch some players at the MCM Expo in October, but aside from that, I can't see myself getting a chance to use it at all.

With regards to the battle system, I really would have loved to have a tactical circle ala Blue Dragon on the world map, it would have really worked a treat, imo.

Ogni-XR21

jRPG said:
Slime figure o_O? Pictures? Where is that a pre-order bonus for?

Just unlocked the Krak Pot :D Loving it so far. But I need to charge the battery now :(.

Sorry can't take pics at the moment my camera is broken. It's a transparent keychain-thing made of 3 slimes (yellow on top, red in the middle and blue at the bottom). It's appr. 5 cm tall. It was a preorder bonus at amazon.de (germany). They don't have any pics either...

Top Bottom