• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Oxx

Okay, let's crack this one open...

Photo007.jpg

gogojira

GeekyDad said:
The way it works is, when you switch a vocation, you begin at level 1 for that vocation. Of course, as you progress, the level for that vocation stays with you. For instance, if you switch from a level-15 minstrel to a warrior, level up your warrior to 15, and then switch back to minstrel, you'll be a level-15 minstrel again. All of your skills stay with you, however, regardless of which vocation you switch to. However, certain vocations only allow you to use certain equipment, so unless you max out the skills for a particular weapon of shields, you might not be able to use those when taking up another vocation. Spells are also vocation-specific. Though your abilities (from skills) will carry over across vocations, spells will not. You won't lose them when switching to another vocation; you just won't be able to use them outside of a specific vocation.

In layman's terms, no, there's no penalty for switching vocations. But you will have to work each vocation from the ground up in a sense.

Awesome, thanks for the informative response.

Cuu

Good luck EU peeps!

I looked at a guide today for an updated bow and found:

9) Oh-no bow
= Odin's bow x 1 + Malicite x 1

10) Odin's bow
= Oh-no bow x 1 + Saint's ashes x 3

I dont know where either is, and why they can alchemize in an infinite loop

So now I'm stuck using the great bow (which cost 31k!)

Cuu said:
Good luck EU peeps!

I looked at a guide today for an updated bow and found:

9) Oh-no bow
= Odin's bow x 1 + Malicite x 1

10) Odin's bow
= Oh-no bow x 1 + Saint's ashes x 3

I dont know where either is, and why they can alchemize in an infinite loop

So now I'm stuck using the great bow (which cost 31k!)
I think you find the cursed item in the world somewhere. Why the alchemy back to the cursed item is there I don't know. I guess you could run around in full cursed gear for kicks, some of it does look kinda cool.

Got my UK version this morning, put about 2 and a half hours in so far. Quick question about other party members - I just reached the point where Erinn has her new inn and I can create different members for my party. Is this how you recruit now or are there other characters who will join naturally? Just wondering whether it's worth it to level some characters up now or wait.

Freyjadour said:
I think you find the cursed item in the world somewhere. Why the alchemy back to the cursed item is there I don't know. I guess you could run around in full cursed gear for kicks, some of it does look kinda cool.

To keep obsessive compulsives playing the game longer. They'll have to waste resources cursing the item again so they can have 100% completion for their alchemy list.

I've gotta be at least 30 hours in. I'm in Batsureg. Almost done this area, I think. And then I just have to kill the boss at the Academy. He killed me once. I've got about 20K in the bank and think I could make a full set of ethereal equipment now if I buy the starter stuff.

Still can't finish the Putting on the Glitz quest. And haven't seen any white trigertaurs -- that one is really bugging me.

Ricker

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Got my UK version this morning, put about 2 and a half hours in so far. Quick question about other party members - I just reached the point where Erinn has her new inn and I can create different members for my party. Is this how you recruit now or are there other characters who will join naturally? Just wondering whether it's worth it to level some characters up now or wait.

Do it as soon as you can,it`s the only way to get them,there is no meet so and so in other towns and some story per say with your companions in this one.

Ricker said:
Do it as soon as you can,it`s the only way to get them,there is no meet so and so in other towns and some story per say with your companions in this one.

Ah ok, well thanks for clearing that up. So I should just create one of each class and level them up?

Reknoc

Came home to find my copy waiting for me! First thing I did was remove the chain from the keyring and thread it onto my DSi.

jaxword

Anyone notice they pulled the same joke/reference from Dragon Quest 3 with the world map?

Like a lot of RPGs, they used the real world map and just moved the continents around, but you can still see it, especially in the accents.

Start with the peninsula in the middle that has the world conquering British empire. Then some wide open Russian/Chinese plains to the East. Then the large Egyptian desert to the south. Across the ocean to the West is the triangular South America, complete with mountain ranges and volcano.

It's not as 1:1 as Dq3, as this would make Hogwarts the closest thing to Japan, but I thought it was an interesting reference/throwback.

Ricker

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Ah ok, well thanks for clearing that up. So I should just create one of each class and level them up?

Well what I did was create a Warrior,Mage,Priest so I had a full party,and then on the way to doing a quest ;) it levelled them up close to my Minstrel...I`m not sure if you can create 8 others right away and start leaving 5 of them at the Inn...I didn`t try that and i`m not too far in for now.

I think someone already confirmed this on another page, but the EU and US copies of DQ are compatible in Tag Mode right? I'm moving to Ireland next month and would just like to be able attempt tag mode with the few souls that actually bought it over there. Thankfully I'll be in Dublin...

Ricker said:
Well what I did was create a Warrior,Mage,Priest so I had a full party,and then on the way to doing a quest ;) it levelled them up close to my Minstrel...I`m not sure if you can create 8 others right away and start leaving 5 of them at the Inn...I didn`t try that and i`m not too far in for now.

I created one of each class and levelled them up to level 5 before going on do defeat a boss. I suppose it's just a matter of keeping on top of skill points, equipment etc for each one.

botticus

JustAnotherOtaku said:
There's really limited benefit to having more than the 4 characters you can have in a party at once. If you start out with a Minstrel, MA, Priest and Mage and then decide you want a Thief, it's much better to switch one of your characters to a Thief (I used my Priest, for example) as now you'll have a Thief that has better healing due to the Priest traits you earned with skill points, and any Thief traits you learn (Agility, Deftness, etc) will be inherited by the Priest if/when you switch back.

botticus said:
There's really limited benefit to having more than the 4 characters you can have in a party at once. If you start out with a Minstrel, MA, Priest and Mage and then decide you want a Thief, it's much better to switch one of your characters to a Thief (I used my Priest, for example) as now you'll have a Thief that has better healing due to the Priest traits you earned with skill points, and any Thief traits you learn (Agility, Deftness, etc) will be inherited by the Priest if/when you switch back.

Ah yeah I kinda forgot about the job switching. Would be an awful lot easier managing my character + 3 others rather than 6 others. Thanks for reminding me :)

Oxx

Almost two hours in now. Really liking most of what I have encountered so far.

Apart from the battle music.

rpmurphy

ScrabbleDude said:
I've gotta be at least 30 hours in. I'm in Batsureg. Almost done this area, I think. And then I just have to kill the boss at the Academy. He killed me once. I've got about 20K in the bank and think I could make a full set of ethereal equipment now if I buy the starter stuff.

Still can't finish the Putting on the Glitz quest. And haven't seen any white trigertaurs -- that one is really bugging me.
Go north of the Academy to find them.

Mafro

Koomaster said:
Oh man, wish they offered that as a pre-order bonus here. It could make friends with my pre-order bonus from Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime...

dqhrskeychain.jpg
Orange slime looks like it's taking a dump on blue slime's head, and blue slime is only happy to oblige. Perhaps too happy.

Mafro said:
Orange slime looks like it's taking a dump on blue slime's head, and blue slime is only happy to oblige. Perhaps too happy.
I think blue slime looks happy because of where the point on his head is. And the orange one looks rather uncomfortable...

rpmurphy

By the way guys, there are powerful ocean monsters beyond the northern or southern edges of the map. If you want to get a
Skull Ring
drop early on, that is one place to find the (only?) monster that drops it. Many of the monsters have powerful ice breath attacks so venture at your own risk.

rpmurphy

ExtraKr1spy said:
Where do I find Great Trolls?

For anyone who bought the guide book; how is it? any glaring flaws/huge omissions?
According to the Gamefaqs Bestiary FAQ, they're at
the Realm of the Mighty

Oxx

I think I'm just about at the point where I can create some additional party members.

A crucial stage.

I'm going to have to think long and hard about what to call them.

Oli

Oxx said:
I think I'm just about at the point where I can create some additional party members.

A crucial stage.

The sad thing is, my game hasn't arrived and I've already thought about it.

Oxx

I don't know about professions. All I know is that I need Belladonna in my party.

Edit: I'm not really interested in following the optimal route, but I'm wondering if it would be wise to make an all female party?

Oxx said:

A crucial stage.

Heh I just went with my normal convention of using random names I remember from other games I've been playing or anime I've been watching :p

I'm at Coffinwell now and really enjoying this. The only thing niggling at me is that I don't really like how I have designed any of my party. They're not too bad, but I think I should've stayed with "normal" looking hair, eyes etc.

Oxx

And there we go... Foster, Haze, Bella, and Jessie reporting for duty.

Do I have to go and outfit them all with weapons and armour now?

Salsa

About 40 hours in. Switching between martial artist and thief, both at lvl 42. Playing as a mage too but thats just at 25, trying to take a break from the story since i believe its gonna be over soon. I love the fact that some of the abilities you learn with other classes can be used with any class, now i can steal things from my enemies as a martial artist :D being able to use claws with any class helps too.

Grizza

Regulus Tera said:
Okay, how the fuck does the Pincushion ability work? I'm using it, the infernal armours are attacking my paladin, yet no damage is being deflected.

Blow and suck on the L button!

Alternatively, don't use it. It's not necessary.

Holy shit! I've had a ds lite that I got for free that's been sitting on my desk for the last 6 months with a bad trigger, and after blowing on it, it works.

Instro

God damn that Paladin quest is annoying. Infernal armours barely do any damage to my Paladin even when Ive completley stripped her of all gear except her weapon. It wouldnt be so bad except their hp range from like 100-120 so its hard to know when to stop hitting them at starting trying to kill them with Pincushion which is only returning like 2-3 dmg at a time.

Oxx

Shame about the slowdown when you're running a full party, but I'm generally pretty impressed with the game technically.

Boney

Banned
Grizza said:
Holy shit! I've had a ds lite that I got for free that's been sitting on my desk for the last 6 months with a bad trigger, and after blowing on it, it works.
It like people don't wanna listen.

demonkaze

Quick question about metal slime grinding.
I've just got up to being able to fight metal medleys and wondering if it's worth grinding on them for skill points or not?

Also, what lv are they good up to and when I'm starting from lvl 1 do I go straight there or farm regular metals to a set lv. Would appreciate any help here

Top Bottom