• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This is absolutely my favorite game of the year!
I didn't discover DQ until the 4 and 5 remakes on DS. [Which I have yet to complete, but will someday!]

Man, I fuckin' love this game! It's taken over Crackdown as the game I constantly talk about to my friends. Even changed my ringtone from a song from Mother to a song from this!

BooJoh said:
Do these characters stay forever or just for a week? My birthday is in just over a week, so it'd be a shame to just barely miss the hat if I don't change the calendar.

Also what's the piece you get for 30+ tags? There's no way I can do that.

Gloves
. They're
simple, light brown gloves
, so it isn't like you're missing much. Also they can show up on the DQVC.

Gravijah

Dragona Akehi said:
I'm seriously tempted to just get a cheat hack going on my DQIX cart because there is absolutely no possible way I'll ever meet another being with DQIX in tag mode.

I'm hoping to actually run into another soul at the GameStop event. I'm not optimistic... And I'm definitely not sitting there all day like a creep.

Eteric Rice

Okay, I got the bow. I assume I have to
jump into the middle hole for the arrow?

Gravijah said:
I'm hoping to actually run into another soul at the GameStop event. I'm not optimistic... And I'm definitely not sitting there all day like a creep.

Same, gonna try to convince a friend of mine to buy it as well.

Instro

Eteric Rice said:
Okay, I got the bow. I assume I have to
jump into the middle hole for the arrow?

Same, gonna try to convince a friend of mine to buy it as well.

All you need is the bow. The other holes just drop you down in different parts of the same area.

MoogPaul

I know a couple people from the NYC facebook group are going to the event at 32 East 14th street in union square. I can't stay but I'll probably do a drive by on tag mode.

So far I have gotten four tags. I met up with some people on Facebook who had the game, and we played some multiplayer for about an hour at a local bookstore. I was very surprised to find so many Dragon Quest fans in my area. It was a ton of fun, and it's too bad most Americans will not get to experience it.

botticus

Unfortunately I'm going to be in the boondocks during the GameStop event and that's likely the only place I'd happen to run into any tags. Maybe one day someone I know will have the game and we can just tag back and forth a few years after the fact.

Just about ready with 2 Sages with Multiheal to start digging into the grottos. Need my Luminary to complete the party!

BooJoh said:
That's good news. Can all the DLC items show up there?

According to this site, everything in the 30 tag category but the following items can show up:
(Contains spoilers for future special guests)
Borya's Shoes
Maya's Sandals
Ragnar's Gloves
Carver's Pants
Keifer's Gloves
Yangus's Pants
Morrie's Tights

MoogPaul said:
I know a couple people from the NYC facebook group are going to the event at 32 East 14th street in union square. I can't stay but I'll probably do a drive by on tag mode.
:lol
Drive-by tagging. Awesome.

If I was still in NYC (in FL atm) I'd walk by the Nintendo World Store, probably get a few tags there.

Boney

Banned
On a surprise notice, my monster hunter disc is giving me trouble, and it seems me and my friends are not going to the beach this week, so budget opened up and I need a new addiction.

Succes!

Gravijah

Boney said:
On a surprise notice, my monster hunter disc is giving me trouble, and it seems me and my friends are not going to the beach this week, so budget opened up and I need a new addiction.

Succes!

BUY IT NOW! How far is the beach from you? It's literally 5 minutes away from me. :lol

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
BUY IT NOW! How far is the beach from you? It's literally 5 minutes away from me. :lol
gonna have to wait till tommorow.

It's a few hours away, but at the same time, I'm and hour away from strapping my snowboard and going for a ride. Chile <3

Gravijah

Boney said:
gonna have to wait till tommorow.

It's a few hours away, but at the same time, I'm and hour away from strapping my snowboard and going for a ride. Chile <3

Never even seen snow before. Not once.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
Never even seen snow before. Not once.
0.jpg

My offer still stands though!

MoogPaul

Revolutionary said:
:lol
Drive-by tagging. Awesome.

If I was still in NYC (in FL atm) I'd walk by the Nintendo World Store, probably get a few tags there.

You'd think so, but I hang out there during my break from 9am till 9:30am every week day and haven't caught a one.

Stencil

Ugh all this talk about no-tags is bringing me down. I tried it once in downtown MPLS but no luck either... Isn't there some Gamestop event coming up for DQ? Or is that just in MN? Or am I totally making this up?

Gravijah

Stencil said:
Ugh all this talk about no-tags is bringing me down. I tried it once in downtown MPLS but no luck either... Isn't there some Gamestop event coming up for DQ? Or is that just in MN? Or am I totally making this up?

There's an event on the 31st.

Stencil said:
Yep, I'll be personally going to the Roseville event, and I know several others that I met with will be going as well.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Update time!

Regulus - PAL lvl 41
Idanea - PRI lvl 46
Elizabet - MAG lvl 46
Alicia - GLA lvl 37

I'm about to storm Gittingham Palace, but I don't feel like it. I guess it's time for TREASURE MAPZ

EDIT: Forgot to ask, but I got the Ultimate Key! What can I unlock? I already got to the secret shop in Dourbridge, but I forgot about any other doors that I may have encountered before.

Forkball

I'm at the volcano. I just got
the dragon warrior armor
. While it looks awesome, most of it is weaker than my current gear, kind of a disappointment. I'm still trying to make the Uber Miracle Sword though, but Royal Soil won't respawn. How long does it normally take?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I got Royal Soil in spades from the monsters in Upover's vicinity. You should be fine with an hour or two of grinding there.

Was I the only whose first thought at the post-Magmaroo event was
NOOO I HAVEN'T BOUGHT ALL THE WARES IN UPOVER
?

Aeana

Regulus Tera said:
EDIT: Forgot to ask, but I got the Ultimate Key! What can I unlock? I already got to the secret shop in Dourbridge, but I forgot about any other doors that I may have encountered before.
Other ultimate key places:
Coffinwell well, captain medal's place, Bloomingdale well, on your own ship's hold (press B while riding it), the Observatory, Gleeba waterway cells, jail cell in that Gerzuun village place northeast of Batsureg.

Forkball

Regulus Tera said:
I got Royal Soil in spades from the monsters in Upover's vicinity. You should be fine with an hour or two of grinding there.

Was I the only whose first thought at the post-Magmaroo event was
NOOO I HAVEN'T BOUGHT ALL THE WARES IN UPOVER
?

Without spoiling it, is there a point of no return or something after I
put on the DW gear and ride the dragon? I haven't done it yet, but do I need to save it for while so I can get more gear or can I just go now?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Aeana said:
Other ultimate key places:
Coffinwell well, captain medal's place, Bloomingdale well, on your own ship's hold (press B while riding it), the Observatory, Gleeba waterway cells, jail cell in that Gerzuun village place northeast of Batsureg.

Procrastination ahoy!

Saving the world can wait, it's loot time!

Forkball said:
Without spoiling it, is there a point of no return or something after I
put on the DW gear and ride the dragon? I haven't done it yet, but do I need to save it for while so I can get more gear or can I just go now?

I don't think there are any points of no return in the DQ series, but I haven't played anything before IV.

Okay except for that cottage in VIII that gets burnt by Dhoulmagus. If you don't pick the mini-medal there you are screwed (I learnt this the hard way).

Eteric Rice

I was thinking, after DQX, would anyone else like to see Mr. Horii do a game with the gameplay that DQIX was originally going to have?

I think it would be neat. I love me some turn based, but I'd love to see him do something like a hack and slash RPG. :D

Aeana

Eteric Rice said:
I was thinking, after DQX, would anyone else like to see Mr. Horii do a game with the gameplay that DQIX was originally going to have?
Nope.
Especially not after reading the Creator's Voice where they talked about how boring the original version was.

Eteric Rice

Aeana said:
Nope.
Especially not after reading the Creator's Voice where they talked about how boring the original version was.

That doesn't mean with extra ideas that the original gameplay concept couldn't be made into something fun.

I'm not saying make a DQ game with that gameplay, I mean a brand new game.

Koomaster

So far I haven't encountered a point of no return. You may be momentarily stranded some place due to plot reasons. But it's not something you won't get out of eventually. So you can still level your party, shop for things, etc.

I still haven't beaten the game, but I am very close. However I am now 72hrs in and I feel like a slowpoke. I just get distracted by all the shiny the game has to offer. I will reach a boss and think it's the end, so I'll go do a bunch of quests first. When I come back and beat the boss, more story, more bosses to whup!

Also, for people who have guys on your team, do the enemies/bosses ever get enamored with them? It seems to happen all the time with my team of girls. It's really a good break from enemies/bosses that can attack multiple times in one round, or have really powerful attacks. But I was just wondering if that's a female exclusive thing, or if male heroes get the same treatment. Does it have to do with my style stat, maybe?

johnsmith

remember me
Koomaster said:
Also, for people who have guys on your team, do the enemies/bosses ever get enamored with them? It seems to happen all the time with my team of girls. It's really a good break from enemies/bosses that can attack multiple times in one round, or have really powerful attacks. But I was just wondering if that's a female exclusive thing, or if male heroes get the same treatment. Does it have to do with my style stat, maybe?

Yes it happens with guys too and yes its based on your style stat.

Mr Rivuz

The multiplayer is important to enjoy the game?
None of my friends are into jrpg, so i don't think i'll ever have the chance to play this game with other people. Will i miss much of the game by playing it solo?

edit: sorry, i should read the first post of thread before asking :p

Going to buy this right now o_O

Kad5

ScrabbleDude said:
There are no bad choices. It depends entirely on your party makeup. Eventually you'll probably want to level them all up.

So far I have a minstrel, a warrior, a mage, and a cleric.

I'll ptobably change the minstrel (my main character) to an armamentalist and my warrior to a paladin.

By the way what is the easiest way to do the armamentalist quest? It seems difficult to get my mage to kill a metal slime.

botticus

Reknoc said:
Huh, hm, well, can't say I'm a massive fan of the exp scaling thing.
When your party of level 1 reclasses and level 30 original class characters wind up in the same capable level range after a couple hours, you'll grow to love it!

It's going to be a long, long time spent grotto clearing before I unlock Luminary, isn't it?

Eteric Rice said:
Farmed 47000 gold so far from Gold Golems.

There has got to be a better way of doing this. :lol
You can make ear cosys with alchemy and sell each one for a profit of 230 gold. The recipe is:
1 Fur Hood - Buy at Slurry Quay for 550 gold.
1 Bunny Tail - buy at Port Llaffan for 220 gold.
1 Lambswool - buy at Batsureg for 180 gold, yo.

It'll take a while to get going, but once you can buy 99 of each item, it will be a lot faster. And when you have enough money, Gold Mail is even more profitable than the Ear Cosy.

Eteric Rice

Easystride said:
You can make ear cosys with alchemy and sell each one for a profit of 230 gold. The recipe is:
1 Fur Hood - Buy at Slurry Quay for 550 gold.
1 Bunny Tail - buy at Port Llaffan for 220 gold.
1 Lambswool - buy at Batsureg for 180 gold, yo.

It'll take a while to get going, but once you can buy 99 of each item, it will be a lot faster. And when you have enough money, Gold Mail is even more profitable than the Ear Cosy.

How do I know when I have enough to do Gold Mail?

Kad5 said:
By the way what is the easiest way to do the armamentalist quest? It seems difficult to get my mage to kill a metal slime.
Get wizard ward with your mage, then change them to a warrior and get metal slash.

Top Bottom