• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

botticus

The only problem I had with the ear cozy thing is that you can only alchemize 9 items at a time. So the whole process gets rather tedious.

I'm at Port Llaffan and have had one unsuccessful attempt at the boss there. Party is level 17/18 and I'm grinding until at least level 20 before trying him again. Where's the best place for decent exp? Around the Port a one enemy fight gets me ~40 exp and a 3 monster fight can get over 100 but is there anywhere else handy that's worth visiting?

Curufinwe

Oxx said:
Just arrived there.

Took a bit longer than a few hours for me, though...

Yeah, my wife is 12+ hours into the game and Sellma still wasn't at the Inn so I got online to try and find out why.

Figures I would find the answer first on GAF.

JustAnotherOtaku said:
I'm at Port Llaffan and have had one unsuccessful attempt at the boss there. Party is level 17/18 and I'm grinding until at least level 20 before trying him again. Where's the best place for decent exp? Around the Port a one enemy fight gets me ~40 exp and a 3 monster fight can get over 100 but is there anywhere else handy that's worth visiting?
I beat
Lleviathan
with a 16 minstrel, 15 warrior, 15 mage, and a 15 priest. It took one try. You can't leave the island you're on until he's dealt with. There is no decent place for experience around there.

Reknoc

JustAnotherOtaku said:

That's where I am now, took a while to figure out the accent (think it's Welsh), don't think there's anywhere better than the cliffs. You could try for metal slimes in the coffinwell tomb thing but it probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

Synless

I just got my boat, is there anything that I should definitely do right off the bat? I need some better weapons and armor, is there anything I should collect materials for at this point in the game? Also, where are treasure maps?

Fewr

Synless said:
I just got my boat, is there anything that I should definitely do right off the bat? I need some better weapons and armor, is there anything I should collect materials for at this point in the game? Also, where are treasure maps?
Help Christopher Columbus (or whatever his name is) who's right outside the
city of statues
, which you've already passed.

Synless said:

Outside
Zere Rocks(on some broken stairs) there's a guy named chrisopher collapsus(or seomething) and he gives you a quest which rewards a treasure chest.

Completed the game last night. 63 hours, lvl 47-50 party. Game was easy for 2/3 of the game then spikes around the second to last dungeon then gets easy again in th last dungeon. Need to do lots of side quests now.

been using this for side quest help(might contain spoilers)
http://wikicheats.gametrailers.com/...entinels_of_the_Starry_Skies_-_DS/Side_Quests

jRPG

It sounds like I'm a little overleveled. I also hit Port Llaffan but my characters are all around level 21. I think it's because I keep changing classes to meet quest requirements and farm metal slimes to get their skills high enough and everyone else seems to get bumped up too. They head for the high hills when they see me coming now though :(.

Baconbitz said:
Is there a good Site to go to to find people to tag with in my area?
Check out this facebook page. I met with three other people thanks to the page. I even got a few of the rare Metal King Slime maps including the Kawasaki and Masayuki maps from one of the guys. The facebook group is surprisingly active!

Synless

Question, how many times can you tag from the same person in a day? Is it unlimited if you keep going in and out of tag mode, or is it like DQVC and you can only do it once per person a day?

Shinjitsu

Banned
Synless said:
Question, how many times can you tag from the same person in a day? Is it unlimited if you keep going in and out of tag mode, or is it like DQVC and you can only do it once per person a day?

You have to delete them from your guestbook, but you can do it as many times as you want as long as you do that.

Reknoc said:
That's where I am now, took a while to figure out the accent (think it's Welsh), don't think there's anywhere better than the cliffs. You could try for metal slimes in the coffinwell tomb thing but it probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

Tried him again at level 17/18 and beat him :)

Yeah took me a while to figure out that accent too. Being Northern Irish I thought that some of the words used hinted at an accent close to my own but Welsh sounds more likely.

Synless

Shinjitsu said:
You have to delete them from your guestbook, but you can do it as many times as you want as long as you do that.
Sweet, as soon as my buddy comes back into town on leave I'm snatching his DS and I will get as many tags as possible that way.

Synless said:
Sweet, as soon as my buddy comes back into town on leave I'm snatching his DS and I will get as many tags as possible that way.
The only problem is that it will only count as one person towards expanding your inn no matter how many times you delete and add the same character.

Koomaster

Kad5 said:
So far I have a minstrel, a warrior, a mage, and a cleric.

I'll ptobably change the minstrel (my main character) to an armamentalist and my warrior to a paladin.

By the way what is the easiest way to do the armamentalist quest? It seems difficult to get my mage to kill a metal slime.
I changed everyone in my party to mage and leveled them to get wizard ward (I think it's the first or one of the first stops in the skill tree). Then switched everyone back to their old jobs.

Had everyone cast WW the first turn, then everyone attack the 2nd.

Synless

Easystride said:
The only problem is that it will only count as one person towards expanding your inn no matter how many times you delete and add the same character.
The inn can expand? What does that do for you? As long as I can get the maps and get the extra armor pieces from the special characters, I'm good.

Cmagus

is there a guide online like a wiki or something that has all the items and weapons listed and where you can find each item?

Krelian

I bought the game today and was really looking forward to playing it when I realized I'm missing my DS charger. I must've forgotten it at my parents' house the last time I was there :/

Woo, finally unlocked two of the additional job classes! Some things are occurring a little slower than I would like them to--unlocking multiplayer, the ability to change jobs, gaining treasure maps and the extra job classes--but damn if I'm not having a lot of fun with this game.

I played more multi-player sessions than I ever expected to at this point--nearly five hours worth!--and I've actually tagged about four people at this point.

Okay, some of the design decisions in this game are terrible. Why not highlight where you need to go on the map, and for the love of flip how stupid do you need to be to design an RPG where there are no descriptions before you assign skill points.

Oxx

While obviously not ideal, at least my back injury has given the opportunity to log 12 hours with the game since Thursday.

Instro

Spirit of Jazz said:
Okay, some of the design decisions in this game are terrible. Why not highlight where you need to go on the map, and for the love of flip how stupid do you need to be to design an RPG where there are no descriptions before you assign skill points.

I can understand the skill point complaint, but wanting the map highlighted for your is just silly and would ruin the exploration factor of the game. Its pretty easy to find out where to go anyway.

zoku88

So, I just finished the game and starting quest 123.

What's the whole treasure map thing about? I got the first map from that one medicine-wanting guy, but that's it.

Instro said:
I can understand the skill point complaint, but wanting the map highlighted for your is just silly and would ruin the exploration factor of the game. Its pretty easy to find out where to go anyway.

Why would it ruin the exploration factor? I'd still explore the entire land, but I'd also like to know the specific locations I have to visit to move the story one; especially when I need to visit several in a specific order to get to my next dungeon. Think of it as an improved quest log which the game already provides.

Also I'm not liking the seemingly random turns in battle, is there a way to look up turn order? On top of that is the any way to look at an enemies hp/weaknesses in battle?

Spirit of Jazz said:
Why would it ruin the exploration factor? I'd still explore the entire land, but I'd also like to know the specific locations I have to visit to move the story one; especially when I need to visit several in a specific order to get to my next dungeon. Think of it as an improved quest log which the game already provides.

Also I'm not liking the seemingly random turns in battle, is there a way to look up turn order? On top of that is the any way to look at an enemies hp/weaknesses in battle?

Pressing Y usually tells you where you need to go.

rpmurphy

Just found out Ranger is a pretty nice class for metal slime hunting. Good agility, great deftness, and the
Needle Shot
bow ability works nicely because
it has good accuracy, hits insta-kill fairly often (thanks to high deftness), and otherwise hits normally if not insta-kill. Costs only 1 MP too!

Spirit of Jazz said:

Honestly I don't get this complaint at all, I never had issues finding where to go. I'd hate for you to play DQVII and miss a fragment.

Spirit of Jazz said:
Turn order is based on Agility, AFAIK - there may be a few modifiers if people have similar stats but that's how you figure it out. Theres no way to see enemy agility scores during battle, but you can suss it out pretty quickly in the 1st turn anyway.

Eteric Rice

What level should I be to tackle the first treasure hunt? I got to the boss once, but he wtfpwned my ass back then.

Most of my characters are in their 30s now.

Also, how do I unlock Sage?

Also, whats the recipie for gold armor, and where do I get the stuff? I might start doing that to pile me up some gold to get the last run of gear from the merchants.

zoku88

Eteric Rice said:
What level should I be to tackle the first treasure hunt? I got to the boss once, but he wtfpwned my ass back then.

Also, whats the recipie for gold armor, and where do I get the stuff? I might start doing that to pile me up some gold to get the last run of gear from the merchants.
For Sage:

In the 2nd to last dungeon in the game, you find a book in a book case that gives you the quest. The monster is found in the last dungeon of the game.

rpmurphy

Eteric Rice said:

IIRC, you should have found the recipe for gold armor by the time you can buy the armor ingredient at
Bloomingdale

Eteric Rice said:

The recipe for gold mail is:
Silver Mail - Bloomingdale
Gold Ring - Port Llaffan (item shop)
Gold Bracer - Port Llaffan (item shop)

I don't know the cost off the top of my head, but I have 260,000 saved up, and I haven't started making Gold Mail quite yet.

Oxx said:
While obviously not ideal, at least my back injury has given the opportunity to log 12 hours with the game since Thursday.

Yeah I've put in over 13 hours since Thursday morning and only played a couple of hours today. Can't remember the last time, if ever, I've spent this long with a game in such a short period of time.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
I'm seriously trying to get into this game but can't. In the past 20 minutes, it's froze on me FOUR fucking times.

Anyone else's freeze? Anyone know why this might have happened?

Oxx

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Yeah I've put in over 13 hours since Thursday morning and only played a couple of hours today. Can't remember the last time, if ever, I've spent this long with a game in such a short period of time.

I was just thinking that. I tend to take my time with most games, but I can't help myself in this situation.

I think I polished-off 20-odd hours of Tales of Symphonia: DoTNW in about a week, so it looks like DQIX might be gunning for that crown.

MemoirsofMimi said:
I'm seriously trying to get into this game but can't. In the past 20 minutes, it's froze on me FOUR fucking times.

I've logged 36 hours, and it has not frozen once. There's probably something wrong with your DS's cartridge slot. Try cleaning it.

Gravijah

MemoirsofMimi said:

37+ hours, no freezing.

Top Bottom