• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Vamphuntr

MemoirsofMimi said:
I'm seriously trying to get into this game but can't. In the past 20 minutes, it's froze on me FOUR fucking times.

Anyone else's freeze? Anyone know why this might have happened?

Played for 46 hours without freezing.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
So I just gained access to recruiting new party members and here's my current team:

Matthew ~ Minstrel (Level 8)
Aves ~ Warrior (Level 5)
Tabatha ~ Priest (Level 5)
Sheila ~ Mage (Level 5)

Comments? Suggestions?

Aeana

MemoirsofMimi said:
I'm seriously trying to get into this game but can't. In the past 20 minutes, it's froze on me FOUR fucking times.

Anyone else's freeze? Anyone know why this might have happened?
I had one freeze, and when I reset, my DSi claimed there was no cartridge inside. So I blew in the cart slot and never got anymore freezes.

Difficulty in post game spikes big time.

Fighting
leviathan
and getting my ass kicked. Level 48-51 Thief, Priest, Mage, Martial Artist and it attacks back to back every time. Multiheal can take care most of the damage but it does a critical attack that kills anyone it hits since it usually does a group attack before or after.

Synless

MemoirsofMimi said:
And how do I obtain this spell?

I'm sorry for sounding so stupid but this is my first RPG of this nature.
Have a priest, or a minstrel. I think you learn it in early 20's.

Woo-Fu

Banned
There are plenty of mobs that have unavoidable 1-hit kills. You will end up using zing unless you decide to either a) reset the game if somebody dies, or b) drag a coffin back to church.

Prolonging a fight with a mimic so that your thief can steal a mini medal is a battle you might find zing coming in handy. :p

Instro

Gravijah said:
Well, the one time I did I didn't have a character with it in my party... And the other time my entire party wiped, so. :lol

Oh so quick to change your story huh? But yeah I like having Zing just in case so I dont have to pay those money grubbing priests in the church.

botticus

Do I need to be at a higher level to start getting higher level treasure maps? I've been stuck with teens and 20s for the duration so far. And fighting mobs in grottos doesn't help for gaining levels.

I'm just happy I found an awesome website with the locations of all the treasure maps. Some of them are a pain in the ass to deduce.

Instro said:
Oh so quick to change your story huh? But yeah I like having Zing just in case so I dont have to pay those money grubbing priests in the church.

Cast Zing

-8mp

[insert name here] remains lifeless

Wasted one turn and 8mp

Cast Zing

-8mp

Wasted one turn and 8mp

Cast Zing

-8mp

Wasted one turn and 8mp

So awesome.

Vamphuntr

MemoirsofMimi said:
Once a character dies, is there either way to restore them? If so, how?

You can use a yggdrasil leaf (full hp ressucitation) or the zing/kazing spell.

Yggdrasil leafs can be found on a small island in the southeast part of the world map (HINT there is a big tree on the island). They can also be used as alchemy materials so they respawn after a certain amount of time.

botticus

jaundicejuice said:
Cast Zing

-8mp

Wasted one turn and 8mp

Cast Zing

-8mp

Wasted one turn and 8mp

Cast Zing

-8mp

Wasted one turn and 8mp

So awesome.
I can almost understand the not-guaranteed aspect in some ways, but it should at least have a higher likelihood of working than not, and that is definitely not my experience.

It hasn't happened often but there have been times where I'm wasting 32MP mid-dungeon trying to revive a character. Given the cost of MP restoring items and how infrequently Zing seems to work for me in both battles and the field, I usually just bail, warp back to the nearest town, hit up the church and rest at an inn.

Instro

botticus said:
I can almost understand the not-guaranteed aspect in some ways, but it should at least have a higher likelihood of working than not, and that is definitely not my experience.

Pfft you just gotta have superior luck like myself, almost always hit it on the first time. :lol

Vamphuntr

jaundicejuice said:
It hasn't happened often but there have been times where I'm wasting 32MP mid-dungeon trying to revive a character. Given the cost of MP restoring items and how infrequently Zing seems to work for me in both battles and the field, I usually just bail, warp back to the nearest town, hit up the church and rest at an inn.

If you have the boat go gather some Yggdrasil leafs, they work 100% of the time.

Aeana

I tend to get fairly lucky with zing, but I have had lengthy streaks of misfortune in the past. Same goes for prayer rings.

Vamphuntr

mjc said:
I feel like thieves are pretty much useless..would this be a fair assessment?
Played most of the game with my MC as a thief and I loved it. It was so much quicker to get alchemy ingredients by stealing than waiting for item drops. With claws my thief was pretty strong. They can also equip good armors. Useful since they have a lot of agility and act first often so you can throw item if you are in need. Also they are great for treasure map since their treasure eye land skills reveal the locations of the stairs.

Instro

Do stats max out? If not it would seem like it would be beneficial to put skill points into the thief line for extra deftness before switching to Ranger. Hell though my Gladiator with deftness from the thief skill line steals well enough anyway.

Hex

Banned
Spirit of Jazz said:
Okay, some of the design decisions in this game are terrible. Why not highlight where you need to go on the map, and for the love of flip how stupid do you need to be to design an RPG where there are no descriptions before you assign skill points.

Would you like a bib and a bankie too?
No offense but there is a point when it becomes holding your hand and babying you.

Hex

Banned
Aeana said:
It's good to get steal from the thief and then switch to ranger, which has much higher deftness.

Bah!
I wish I had thought of that a while ago, ah well still only level 30 so a good time to switch

Aeana

Gunloc said:
Some of the (presumed) English names of the Dragon Quest VI characters based on their legacy armor are quite strange...
I saw them listed on another site. Pretty weird...
Mireyu = Milly, Hassan = Carver, Barbara = Ashlynn
... Actually, the only one that strikes me as weird is the last one.

Aeana said:
I saw them listed on another site. Pretty weird...
Mireyu = Milly, Hassan = Carver, Barbara = Ashlynn
... Actually, the only one that strikes me as weird is the last one.
I like
Milly, (though I thought they would for sure go with Muriel)
, but the other names are very strange choices. It's not that the names themselves are bad, it's just such a random switch.

The went back to Erdrick too. :/

Aeana

Gunloc said:
I like
Milly
, but the other names are very strange choices. It's not that the names themselves are bad, it's just such a random switch.

The went back to Erdrick too. :/
I totally expected Hassan to be changed to something else.

As for Erdrick, while I have no nostalgia for that name whatsoever, it doesn't bother me. After all, the entire point of the armor set is for nostalgia's sake, and most westerners who played DQ1 probably know Erdrick and not Loto. Bridging the gap between Dragon Warrior and Dragon Quest for English speakers isn't such a bad idea.

zoku88

Aeana said:
I tend to get fairly lucky with zing, but I have had lengthy streaks of misfortune in the past. Same goes for prayer rings.
For me, it seems as though I usually just have streaks of either bad luck or good luck with zing.

My prayer use usage has been good though. I broke two of them in the last two dungeons of the game. I never really used them that much though..

Aeana said:
I totally expected Hassan to be changed to something else.

As for Erdrick, while I have no nostalgia for that name whatsoever, it doesn't bother me. After all, the entire point of the armor set is for nostalgia's sake, and most westerners who played DQ1 probably know Erdrick and not Loto. Bridging the gap between Dragon Warrior and Dragon Quest for English speakers isn't such a bad idea.
Even though I prefer Loto, the name Erdrick doesn't really bother me either. It's more the lack of consistency.

So many different versions for terms that are supposed to be consistent throughout the series. It's like were back in the mid 90's Final Fantasy era where ever new game changes the vocabulary.

So after finding the "All Visitor Room" unlock code, none of the gear was an upgrade :(. I realize that isn't necessarily the point of it, and it's a nice touch, but some of the gear I have really isn't that great.

Every day after playing I tell myself I'm done with postgame, and then the next day I put down P3P and want to play DQIX again. I'm slowly getting worn down though, so much of the Legacy gear
even boss drops
is just flat out worse than what's available for purchase postgame or alchemy. I've complained about it before, but it just really irks me :/. I guess the point is to get some nice looking armor while grinding for orbs to make the real upgrades.

Top Bottom