• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
uh yeah fine how about just your main :D
Want me to hook you guys up?

So concerning my party, I'm thinking Warrior, Thief and a Dancer (what's the name again?) and the 4th slot is out in the open, do I need a healer or will the dancer do?

And what do you guys recommend, based on coolness, I really don't care about the most "efficient"

Gravijah

Boney said:
Want me to hook you guys up?

So concerning my party, I'm thinking Warrior, Thief and a Dancer (what's the name again?) and the 4th slot is out in the open, do I need a healer or will the dancer do?

And what do you guys recommend, based on coolness, I really don't care about the most "efficient"

Always good to have a healer, I went priest and then
Paladin
... Gah would be able to help more if i were home.

rush777

Freyjadour said:
So after finding the "All Visitor Room" unlock code, none of the gear was an upgrade :(. I realize that isn't necessarily the point of it, and it's a nice touch, but some of the gear I have really isn't that great.

Every day after playing I tell myself I'm done with postgame, and then the next day I put down P3P and want to play DQIX again. I'm slowly getting worn down though, so much of the Legacy gear
even boss drops
is just flat out worse than what's available for purchase postgame or alchemy. I've complained about it before, but it just really irks me :/. I guess the point is to get some nice looking armor while grinding for orbs to make the real upgrades.

Totally feel you Frey, i've played the shit out of this game and I still enjoy it but the post game grind is finally starting to get to me and the main cause I would have to say is the system used for the Legacy bosses.

Maybe I just need to take a break(not sure if it's possible:D ).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Spirit of Jazz said:
Okay, some of the design decisions in this game are terrible. Why not highlight where you need to go on the map

The NPCs pretty much tell you where to go. "The Castle of Dancey Prancey once laid in the northern forest beyond the canyon of Wet Stream."

Regulus Tera said:
The NPCs pretty much tell you where to go. "The Castle of Dancey Prancey once laid in the northern forest beyond the canyon of Wet Stream."

No. Overlay a giant red arrow pointing in the direction I need to walk. I don't have time to talk to NPCs.

Aeana

Regulus Tera said:
You mean I actually have to talk to the NPCs?

What?

Aeana said:
You mean I actually have to talk to the NPCs?

What?

61597-v1.jpg

Forkball

You can also press Y to open up a short summary of what just happened and where you should go. This is a great idea and should be in all future RPGs. There were numerous times when I jammed my A button to make the NPC shut up, but it turns out he had some useful information and now I have no idea what to do next. Thank you, Y button!

Aeana

I love talking to NPCs in DQ games. They all have one piece of the puzzle, and talking to everybody reveals the whole story about a particular area.

Instro

Aeana said:
I love talking to NPCs in DQ games. They all have one piece of the puzzle, and talking to everybody reveals the whole story about a particular area.

The puzzle part is separating out the good info from all the "strewth" this and "bairn" that or whatever the hell accents they are speaking. :lol

Gravijah

Instro said:
The puzzle part is separating out the good info from all the "strewth" this and "bairn" that or whatever the hell accents they are speaking. :lol

it's really not too bad. as long as you aren't talking to the people in the jail in stornway.

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:
I actually kind of don't. I looked super ugly for a good 80% of the game. :(
That's mmo style for you baby! I didn't get any badass equipment in Xenoblade until like 50-60 hours later :lol On the other hand thanks to Alena's visit, my heroine looks somewhat decent now :lol

zoku88

Aeana said:
That's what happens when you favor functionality of style >.>

Is it sad that for most of the game, I did the opposite? T_T

Regulus Tera said:
Am I the only one who has not sold any piece of equipment unless I have a duplicate?

please tell me i'm not
I don't really sell anything at all. I've sold a few Silk Robes just because monsters drop them so much in the early stages of the game but I still have a bunch of those too.

Vanity before valor is my DQIX motto.

Aeana said:
It depends on the quality of the character designs in DQX for me. I really like all the options, but if the designs are strong enough I'll most likely be quite attached to the default outfits. (Adults please in DQX.)

But if we get another cast that looks like DQVII's bunch, I'll need all the armor I can get to cover that up.

Instro

Regulus Tera said:
Am I the only one who has not sold any piece of equipment unless I have a duplicate?

I dont think Ive sold anything really, so much of it is useful for alchemy its not really worth it. Besides money is pretty easy to make anyway so its not necessary.

And yeah style>functionality any day. Atm I'm seriously considering removing all the
Dragon Warrior
gear from my hero because I feel like his older equipment looked cooler. To be fair the difference in defense is like 10 or so. :lol

Aeana

zoku88 said:
That's what happens when you favor functionality of style >.>

Is it sad that for most of the game, I did the opposite? T_T
I actually found almost every combination of early-to-mid-game equipment ugly, though. Most stuff just doesn't go well together.

jaxword

Link Man said:
I really do hope that the visible armor changes becomes a series mainstay.

Given that Dq9 seems sort of like it wants to be a single player MMORPG, I'm sure the in-game cosplaying will become the norm.

This is probably just testing for making Dragon Quest Online, anyways.

ITA84

I'm late to the party, but I wanted to post my character pics anyway. Sorry for the bad quality.

AA
34focgg.jpg

Galiel
2ibdyra.jpg

Metatron
ds86e.jpg

Xinhea
20kwwwj.jpg

Really enjoying the game so far: even the very first part was well done. I couldn't tell by looking at videos, but the NPC sprites blend really well with the rest, I didn't expect that. The new stuff I like the most is the top screen map, which kind of makes exploration easier but still doesn't mark any item/chest/NPC or enemy, which would have been too much.

The things I miss from the other DQs are the well music theme and the non respawning content of vases/wardrobes/etc. (although it's probably for the best, since looking forward to finding good stuff in such places was weird enough).

Going for a very chiché party, but if the game warrants a replay I'll try something completely different.

JEKKI

whoo~!! comic con was a success!!

hella ppl there doing tag mode!!

the problem tho was... u can only tag 3 ppl into your system at a time... so to get more u gotta exit and re-enter the mode.

I got like 15 ppl ^_^v including Nintendo's one that came with a treasure map!

unfortunately... I dont really kno what u suppose to do with all the ppl in the inn now :lol

Aeana

PataHikari said:
In particular, the armor you get from the level 15 quests is not only good looking, but also have stats that will let it last a very long time.
In some cases, I guess, but note I did say "together."

Rpgmonkey

Link Man said:
I really do hope that the visible armor changes becomes a series mainstay.

Only if you can get matching equipment sets more easily.

Sometimes DQIX gives you like one piece of a whole set and you don't find the rest until (much) later. :/

jaxword

PataHikari said:
In particular, the armor you get from the level 15 quests is not only good looking, but also have stats that will let it last a very long time.

Like the Slood, which everyone used for the entire midgame?

Just gotten through this.

I like a lot of the strides this game has taken with gameplay, but it's sad that the story was so lacking. It's always been my favourite thing about DQ games(specifically V, VI & VIII).

jaxword

Sir_Crocodile said:

I like a lot of the strides this game has taken with gameplay, but it's sad that the story was so lacking. It's always been my favourite thing about DQ games(specifically V, VI & VIII).

Yeah, I was sort of saddened at how weak the story was this time, and also that they've ditched the entire loose-trilogy idea.

Even minor references make the story a bit more epic and interconnected.
Like seeing (and fixing) the broken Zenithia palace from the previous game. Or being named the hero of the first game.

Celine

Put 10 hours in it.
I must say the presentation is quite nice.
It's a pity for the slowdowns you get when you have a four men party but nothing that bothers me to much.
Battle and speaks speed is good enough for me too.
Only complain I have at the moment is that the OST seems really weak.
What happened to Sugiyama ?

BooJoh

I must be the only person who didn't use the Slood or its matching torso because it just looks silly :lol

I kept my characters looking pretty cool through most of the game, and now that I've got 3 pieces of
Erdrick
gear and two
Aliahan
pieces I think my hero looks awesome.

My Armamentalist still looks great, largely because she's still wearing a feathered hat, but my Sage and Thief are a whole other story.

My Thief is bizarre with her bustier and bikini bottoms with a big white mask, and my poor Sage looks like a cross-dresser. If I'd known most of the healing gear was feminine in appearance I'd probably have used a female healer and a male Armamentalist.

Oxx

I like the armoured look, but it is quite a departure from the simple, iconic hero designs of some of the older games.

Spirit of Jazz said:
Why would it ruin the exploration factor? I'd still explore the entire land, but I'd also like to know the specific locations I have to visit to move the story one; especially when I need to visit several in a specific order to get to my next dungeon. Think of it as an improved quest log which the game already provides.

Also I'm not liking the seemingly random turns in battle, is there a way to look up turn order? On top of that is the any way to look at an enemies hp/weaknesses in battle?

Dragon Quest is patterned after older RPGs these things were standard. Figuring out where to go is part of the gameplay, as is finding it once you know, although the fact that it highlights dungeons you have played already confused me after the first one. Also, there is no set turn order, like most older RPGs, it uses your agility combined with a random number (representing a dice roll) to figure out your speed that turn, just like how the damage you deal each turn is based on your strength and a random number.

As for enemy weaknesses, while you do have some, it doesn't often play a big role in the game. More important than exploiting weaknesses is using buffs and debuffs.

Play a few more traditional JRPGs and you won't need all the handholding.

Synless

What class has an ability to direct attacks towards you? I'm trying to get paladin class and don't see that ability anywhere.

Eteric Rice

I think I just got screwed.

I made 99 Ear Cosys, but decided that instead of selling them right after, I'd zoom off, get more ingrediants, and see how many it would let me make before telling me I had to many.

Well, it let me make more, but the problem is I think it freaking ate them or something. I don't see them in my bag anywhere.

I'm down like, 70,000 gold. :(

Am I missing something?

Yaweee

I've been trying to get into this game, but I just can't. The game just feels so damn slow.

It isn't even the battle speed that bothers me. It's the text speed, running around town to do basic things that, and all of the redundant dialogue and music themes that accompany the most basic tasks.

The horrible sidequest design doesn't help. The game can be pretty fun when I'm out doing dungeons or exploring the world, but the moment I have to head back into town I end up closing my DS and doing something else.

Sir_Crocodile said:

You found the story in VIII better than this ?
The characters were incredibly well designed (Yangus, Trode and Marcello were my favorites), but the main plot and villain were really bad. The second half especially felt rushed and lacked polish.

Reknoc

Synless said:
What class has an ability to direct attacks towards you? I'm trying to get paladin class and don't see that ability anywhere.

Whipping Boy, it's a Warrior skill. It doesn't direct attacks towards you though you choose the party member to protect and have to hope they'll get hit.

Synless

Reknoc said:
Whipping Boy, it's a Warrior skill. It doesn't direct attacks towards you though you choose the party member to protect and have to hope they'll get hit.
I must have missed it when I wad looking over my warriors skills. Thanks.

BitchTits

Got this yesterday, loving it like I knew I would. :D

I do find Stella a bit annoying (like any other similar 'helper' character in a game), but I guess she is there for new players? That's OK, but I still dislike these type of characters.

Just off to fight the Wight Knight, my fledgling team is Mistrel/Mage/Priest/Martial Artist. I haven't looked into it, so not sure when you can switch classes, but I was thinking of changing my hero from Minstrel to Thief maybe.

Reknoc

Nayishiki said:
Whipping Boy for Warrior and Forbearance for Paladin.

Well the Paladin skill isn't much good for the Paladin quest:lol Just finished it up, not as hard as I thought it was going to be, Whipping Boy works for breath attacks which the Axohotls do, ended up gettng 4 a battle if I was lucky

rpmurphy

Eteric Rice said:
I think I just got screwed.

I made 99 Ear Cosys, but decided that instead of selling them right after, I'd zoom off, get more ingrediants, and see how many it would let me make before telling me I had to many.

Well, it let me make more, but the problem is I think it freaking ate them or something. I don't see them in my bag anywhere.

I'm down like, 70,000 gold. :(

Am I missing something?
Equipment do not show up in your bag so don't worry about it. Just select equipment when you go sell.

Top Bottom