• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

BitchTits

Spirit of Jazz said:
Okay, some of the design decisions in this game are terrible. Why not highlight where you need to go on the map
What?! Dragon Quest isn't really an exploration-heavy series, so take whatever exploration elements you can get, go look around! :D

rpmurphy

Eteric Rice said:
They're not in equipment either. :(
Wat. Maybe a bug then? Hopefully you saved just before you made them. @_@

Edit:
By the way, anyone get the red slime loading screen yet? I've gotten it twice thus far and used it to pinch gold bars and brighten rocks in the Bowhole. :D

GeekyDad

Sir_Crocodile said:
Just gotten through this.

I like a lot of the strides this game has taken with gameplay, but it's sad that the story was so lacking. It's always been my favourite thing about DQ games(specifically V, VI & VIII).

I thoroughly enjoyed the story. It certainly wasn't ground-breaking, and the ending
between Corvus and his lost love felt a bit rushed
, but overall, there were a ton of sweet moments throughout the game -- and post-game.

Koomaster

"When you walk up to a monster, if you approach it from behind, you can get the drops on it more often than not. Surprise!" ~ Stella

o____O

What does she mean here? Get the drops as in what the monster drops, or get the drop as in 'the enemy is too stunned to move' getting a free attack on it?

CoolS

Bought this game yesterday and I love it! My first DQ

One question though: Ever since I have 4 partymembers, the game seems to suffer some framerate drops every now and then. Is that normal or is by DSi dying?

CoolS said:
One question though: Ever since I have 4 partymembers, the game seems to suffer some framerate drops every now and then. Is that normal or is by DSi dying?
It's normal, unfortunately. You'll just have to get used to it, unless you want to walk around with just 3 in your party or something.

jaxword

Koomaster said:
"When you walk up to a monster, if you approach it from behind, you can get the drops on it more often than not. Surprise!" ~ Stella

o____O

What does she mean here? Get the drops as in what the monster drops, or get the drop as in 'the enemy is too stunned to move' getting a free attack on it?

It's typical Stella mis-speaking and saying you'll get the DROP on the monsters, like more preemptive strikes.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I've been playing this game a little while and I didn't realise until just now that you can get extra party members at the Inn. I defeated the Wight Knight single handedly because I didn't know that! Fun game so far though, although it's a shame to hear the story isn't going to be so great, I absolutely loved that about V.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Currently at
Uprover
so I'm currently near the end I guess.

Is there an easy way to make money instead of
making lots of Ear Cozies and selling them
?

ULTROS! said:
Currently at
Uprover
so I'm currently near the end I guess.

Is there an easy way to make money instead of
making lots of Ear Cozies and selling them
?

As far as I know, that's the easiest way unless you get a Red Slime or two at the load screen and you want to go steal Gold Bars with a high-Deft Ranger. One of the downfalls of postgame unfortunately. I really like the ideas present, but another installment or two before they really iron out the kinks in the formula.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Freyjadour said:
As far as I know, that's the easiest way unless you get a Red Slime or two at the load screen and you want to go steal Gold Bars with a high-Deft Ranger. One of the downfalls of postgame unfortunately. I really like the ideas present, but another installment or two before they really iron out the kinks in the formula.

How does that work? That happened to me once.

ULTROS!

I mean what do the red slimes do? Do I need to touch them or anything? :p

ULTROS! said:
I mean what do the red slimes do? Do I need to touch them or anything? :p

When they just show up it means your luck factor is increased. Don't need to do anything, kind of like a roll of the dice at the load screen to see what your luck will be.

Koomaster

jaxword said:
It's typical Stella mis-speaking and saying you'll get the DROP on the monsters, like more preemptive strikes.
That's what I was afraid of, was hoping she was telling me how to increase chances of monsters dropping their loot. :p

Edit: I got that red slime at start up the 2nd time ever I turned on the game and never again. I thought it was showing up because the game was taking a bit longer to load. If I had known then that it was lucky, I would have kept my DS in sleep mode. ¬___¬

theMrCravens said:
You found the story in VIII better than this ?
The characters were incredibly well designed (Yangus, Trode and Marcello were my favorites), but the main plot and villain were really bad. The second half especially felt rushed and lacked polish.

Well it's not at the level of V(and there are very few games that are), but yes, I very much enjoyed it. The kingdom in mourning, dreamland, Dhoulmagus walking across the ocean, the abbey...the scenarios were good, and dhoulmagus kept things focused throughout. Loved it. I agree that the dark world stuff was pretty bad, but overall I found it a much more enjoyable story. Everything in IX is just so short, and it never really gives you a chance to care about any of the characters involved before the scenarios end. it's not a bad game by any means, but I certainly feel that neither the story nor the characters are as involving.

YourMaster

Reknoc said:
As soon as you complete the quests for the advanced classes. 2 are available in Alltrades.
That's not his question.

How to change classes:
You get to Alltrades Abbey pretty soon after you get the initial 6 classes. There you can change vocations.
Then you first have to enter a dungeon and beat a boss before you can actually do it.

I just completed my party and I only made female characters in addition to my male hero; they just seemed more fun to make and had better hair styles. And having a cute martial artist is sort of bad-ass. :p
And while I don't want to beat a dead horse I have to express my irritation with the slowdown. :( It's not terrible, but certainly a noticeable flaw in the otherwise outstanding presentation.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Yeah... can someone help me out here?

So I just beat the boss at the first legacy map (I actually don't really know what a legacy map is) - anyway, Baramos went down, he was TOUGH, but I took him down. Forbearance + magic reflection is awesome. Anyhoo, at the end of the fight he gets back up and wants all 60,000xp from the fight. The hell would I give him the XP for? I assume there is a reason, can anyone tell me what it is?

Kinitari said:
Yeah... can someone help me out here?

So I just beat the boss at the first legacy map (I actually don't really know what a legacy map is) - anyway, Baramos went down, he was TOUGH, but I took him down. Forbearance + magic reflection is awesome. Anyhoo, at the end of the fight he gets back up and wants all 60,000xp from the fight. The hell would I give him the XP for? I assume there is a reason, can anyone tell me what it is?
He drops different loot and maps at different levels. Check out this bestiary that has info on each legacy boss's loot.

Did an bit of grinding, some class changes and then beat Garth Goyle :)

When I changed classes from my initial ones to new ones, levelled them up a bit and went to revert back to my original class, I noticed that a third class, which I hadn't chosen yet, had increased in level. Does levelling some classes equal progression in others? (hope that makes sense! :p)

Aeana

JustAnotherOtaku said:

When I changed classes from my initial ones to new ones, levelled them up a bit and went to revert back to my original class, I noticed that a third class, which I hadn't chosen yet, had increased in level. Does levelling some classes equal progression in others? (hope that makes sense! :p)
Nope... the only way that could have happened is if you just leveled that class and forgot about it.

Oxx

I'm currently doing my first treasure map dungeon and I'm running low on MP. Can I warp out, recharge, and return? Or do I have to beat it in a single attempt?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Oxx said:
I'm currently doing my first treasure map dungeon and I'm running low on MP. Can I warp out, recharge, and return? Or do I have to beat it in a single attempt?

Treasure maps will be there forever, and they never change in design - you can leave and come back - in fact you can fight the bosses on the maps over and over and over again. Just wait until you're high enough to get king metal slimes and higher on your maps.

Oxx

Kinitari said:
Treasure maps will be there forever, and they never change in design - you can leave and come back - in fact you can fight the bosses on the maps over and over and over again. Just wait until you're high enough to get king metal slimes and higher on your maps.

Sweet. The boss handed me my first wipe-out even after I recharged, but at least I decided to deposit all my cash before heading back.

Koomaster

Yay, just beat the final boss today! Only took me 76 hours on my gameclock. Such a slowpoke. :lol

Now I'm following the post-game cookie trail and I'm already having problems with
Souped up Llevianthan.

My question is, which class learns a full party heal spell and at what level. I'm definitely going to need it now. For the record my party consists of Warrior, Thief, Paladin, Ranger. My Paladin and Ranger have several levels in both Mage/Sage if those classes learn the spell I'm after.

Aeana

Koomaster said:
Yay, just beat the final boss today! Only took me 76 hours on my gameclock. Such a slowpoke. :lol

Now I'm following the post-game cookie trail and I'm already having problems with
Souped up Llevianthan.

My question is, which class learns a full party heal spell and at what level. I'm definitely going to need it now. For the record my party consists of Warrior, Thief, Paladin, Ranger. My Paladin and Ranger have several levels in both Mage/Sage if those classes learn the spell I'm after.
Sage learns multiheal at 24. You could also max fans and do the quest for hustle dance.

Koomaster

Aeana said:
Sage learns multiheal at 24. You could also max fans and do the quest for hustle dance.
Thanks! I think my Ranger is close to that level in her Sage category.

The final boss was almost easy compared to getting my whole team wiped within a few rounds of this dude.

Stencil

Just equipped my Swinedimples Blazer as instructed and was quite taken aback by my characters new appearance.
20100725-qn42urggqmbqq9cjtce7t2ifuf.jpg

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Revolutionary said:
It's normal, unfortunately. You'll just have to get used to it, unless you want to walk around with just 3 in your party or something.
That's what I've been doing :lol

Its not really because of the slowdown, I just haven't had any motivation or reason to create a 4th party member. I suppose this is eventually going to screw me over but right now I'm doing fine with 3 party-goers.

botticus

I just met
Atlas
. I'm taking a break from treasure maps. :lol

I'd like to get Luminary before shelving this, but I'm starting to think that's not going to happen.

steveovig

JustAnotherOtaku said:

Damn, I got to Garth before finding the Abbot, lol! I guess I got some backtracking to do now!

GeekyDad

botticus said:
I just met
Atlas
. I'm taking a break from treasure maps. :lol

I'd like to get Luminary before shelving this, but I'm starting to think that's not going to happen.

It's probably not worth the trouble, either. The unique skill is worth leveling up, I suppose, if you've already maxed out other, more worthwhile skills, but overall, I'm unimpressed by the luminary vocation, as well as the quest to get it.

Top Bottom