• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Gravijah

Fantastical said:
Putting a commercial before Twilight is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.

Yes, advertising in front of a large amount of young adults and teens is a dumb idea. Very dumb idea.

Dineren

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
I'm curious if anyone been able to get any of their friends interested in this title? I'm definitely going to be picking it up but I'm sad to say that I doubt I'll be able to experience any of the online features.

Everyone I know is ready and willing to jump on the Monster Hunter/Peace Walker hype train but turn based combat apparently turns off a heck of a lot of people. :lol

None of my friends would buy this unfortunately. I'm going to be picking up a few extra copies to see if I can entice any to play, but I'll probably only get one other to play if I'm lucky (better than none though!). I'll probably just end up giving them away in the end if I can't convince any to play. It's pretty disappointing, I think the multiplayer would be a lot of fun. I guess there is still hope that the Gamestop event could be successful, though around here I'm not too hopeful.

Tiktaalik

Hex said:
The only person I have gotten into it was my gf.
Most people I know who play games grew up on turn based whether it was Wizardry (what I cut my teeth on), Final Fantasy, Ultima and other turn based games.
To most of us turn based is the favored choice.

The disturbing thing to me (and should be disturbing to SquareEnix and other traditional JRPG makers) is that while the backgrounds of all of my friends are largely similar, and we all grew up playing SNES era JRPGs and are used to turn based JRPGs, I'm seemingly the only one that hasn't become completely disenchanted with the game type.

:'(

Gravijah

Dineren said:
None of my friends would buy this unfortunately. I'm going to be picking up a few extra copies to see if I can entice any to play, but I'll probably only get one other to play if I'm lucky (better than none though!). I'll probably just end up giving them away in the end if I can't convince any to play. It's pretty disappointing, I think the multiplayer would be a lot of fun. I guess there is still hope that the Gamestop event could be successful, though around here I'm not too hopeful.

Take a few trips to Toys R Us (if you're in the US) and get a few gift cards? At least you wouldn't be paying as much.

Hex

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
The disturbing thing to me (and should be disturbing to SquareEnix and other traditional JRPG makers) is that while the backgrounds of all of my friends are largely similar, and we all grew up playing SNES era JRPGs and are used to turn based JRPGs, I'm seemingly the only one that hasn't become completely disenchanted with the game type.

:'(

I know many people who have become kind of jaded because of high definition hack and slash games (which can be fun too- Demon Souls I am looking at you!).
I really rue the day that turn based jrpgs are completely shelved. Luckily it seems that handhelds are keeping it alive for now.

Hex

Banned
Dineren said:
I imported this last year because I thought there was no chance it would be released here. It's actually pretty nice, though I'll take headphones over the speaker any day.

Headphones?

Dineren

Banned
Hex said:
Headphones?
682968_290.png

Buy your own now!

Edit: I should note, I don't own these so for all I know they could be terrible.

TEJ

Effect said:
I wonder if this will be street date broken. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Has Nintendo ever advertise a game before a movie before?

I remember seeing an OoT trailer before a movie.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Just started playing it again thanks to this thread. Completely forgot what I was doing but was able to kick back into it. Will I beat it before the US release? "/

JKTrix

Dineren said:
I imported this last year because I thought there was no chance it would be released here. It's actually pretty nice, though I'll take headphones over the speaker any day.

Same, on all accounts. Speakers themselves are not much better than the DS's, but squishy slime love is squishy slime love.

Aeana

Oh, that's pretty cool that they covered it on Nintendo Week. It was pretty awkward to watch, but they showed the quest screen in English for the first time, so that was cool to see.

Larsen B

I know few people who own a DS and even fewer people who want to play turn-based RPGs on them.

Is any of the optional/post-game content purely for multiplayer or is it all single-player friendly?

Gravijah

Aeana said:
Seems like both Walmart and Best Buy have displays up for the game now.

Didn't notice one at my local Wal Mart, but I forgot to check. Of course, my Wal Mart is slow on everything.

KeioSquad2 said:
Can't wait to pick up my copy, with my midnight blue xl :D I just have one question? Can you still get treasure maps and quests in the single player game? I would love to do them on my own if I could.......

quoting myself for unknown answer........

Aeana

KeioSquad2 said:
quoting myself for unknown answer........
Yes, quests are all available in single player, and there are many treasure maps to get in single player. There are quite a few treasure maps that require tag mode, but there are still plenty to find in the game.

Dineren

Banned
Aeana said:
Yes, quests are all available in single player, and there are many treasure maps to get in single player. There are quite a few treasure maps that require tag mode, but there are still plenty to find in the game.
Just out of curiosity, do monsters drop the maps or are they only found in chests?

I've been getting hounded at work to change our hold music, I think in celebration of the release I will use the soundtracks from DQ IV, V, and VII for the week.

Aeana

Dineren said:
Just out of curiosity, do monsters drop the maps or are they only found in chests?

I've been getting hounded at work to change our hold music, I think in celebration of the release I will use the soundtracks from DQ IV, V, and VII for the week.
I don't really remember too well. I know some are rewards for quests.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
If Amazon treats me right, I should be getting this at around the same time I get back from my vacation. Excellent.

Aeana said:
Oh, that's pretty cool that they covered it on Nintendo Week. It was pretty awkward to watch, but they showed the quest screen in English for the first time, so that was cool to see.
Mostly it was just awkward that they spent an entire episode on it (first time they've done that for a single game I think). Also, the way they were sitting next to each other, you'd think they'd get to the multiplayer portion this episode, but they didn't.

Aeana

cooljeanius said:
Mostly it was just awkward that they spent an entire episode on it (first time they've done that for a single game I think). Also, the way they were sitting next to each other, you'd think they'd get to the multiplayer portion this episode, but they didn't.
I don't understand why it's awkward that they devoted an entire episode to it. I can only view that as a good thing.

RevenantKioku said:
Just started playing it again thanks to this thread. Completely forgot what I was doing but was able to kick back into it. Will I beat it before the US release? "/

Sure, right about when you beat Etrian Odyssey and Heroes of Lagaard.

Dineren

Banned
Yeah I didn't think it was a bad thing they spent the entire episode on it. They are targeting people who have never heard of it before so I think it's a good idea to go over all the basics. They'll be going over multiplayer this week, I'm curious if they'll spend the whole episode on it again.

Philthy

Definitely an interesting method Nintendo is doing. They know their base is packed with casuals, and now they're trying to egg them on to what might a lot of peoples first RPG. Maybe it'll have the WOW effect that Blizzard got.

Jeels

For anyone wondering about the review embargo.

Nintendo said:
Hi Dragon Quest Fans!

We've shipped your prize package for arrival on Wednesday July 7; please be on the lookout for this package to arrive no later than 6 p.m. your local time on that date. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach back out to us here at this address and we can help you trouble shoot any issues.

Also, we currently have this game under review embargo until Friday, July 9 at 10 a.m. PT. We respectfully request that you adhere to this guideline as well and not post a review or impressions of the game in any written fashion until that point in time if you had plans to undertake such an endeavor.

Thanks a lot, and we hope that you continue to support the series as we approach launch!

It has been a pleasure.

Sincerely,

The Dragon Quest IX Team

The good news is, I'm getting IX tomorrow!

Hex

Banned
Aeana said:
I don't understand why it's awkward that they devoted an entire episode to it. I can only view that as a good thing.

I would think that part was the LEAST awkward about that show :lol

Ricker

Jeels said:
Dragon Quest IX trivia contest ran by Nintendo and Golin Harris.

Grats Jeets...I find it funny that there`s an embargo for a game that`s been out for months in Japan...and it`s the goddamn real Dragon Quest game on top of it hehe...but oh well,enjoy your headstart man =)

Jeels said:
Dragon Quest IX trivia contest ran by Nintendo and Golin Harris.
Oh, I'm behind the curve and didn't know about the contest, I have been away from the web since E3 to catch up on some of my projects.
Congratulations! Please let us know some stuff about the US package and release... anything at all really... :D

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I have no idea when this is being released in Australia now. Maybe I should just import the US version.

Hex

Banned
Easystride said:
The U.S. GameStop site has updated with info on locations for the July 31st event. Thankfully, there is one location about 30 minutes from me.

Nice and close to me, but I have to work.
Will have to send my game with someone else and miss it

Aeana said:
Well I suppose in terms of promoting the game it's a good thing, but combined with the other stuff I mentioned, it made it kind of hard to watch... especially with the rest of my family...

Top Bottom