• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Llyranor

Are the items that make encounters less frequent still available in this game? (holy bottles or whatever crap?) Does that allow you to avoid battles even when you're underleveled.

Re: the job system, so skills carry over (except if it's weapon skills, whereas both classes need to have that weapon skill available), but spells don't unless both classes can cast that spell. How many spell types are there? Magic? Faith? Is there a list that'd showcase which classes can cast what type of spells, so as to be able to plan beforehand?

Lee N

Membre
Llyranor said:
Are the items that make encounters less frequent still available in this game? (holy bottles or whatever crap?) Does that allow you to avoid battles even when you're underleveled.
The enemies are visible, you can just walk straight past them.

Llyranor said:

Re: the job system, so skills carry over (except if it's weapon skills, whereas both classes need to have that weapon skill available), but spells don't unless both classes can cast that spell. How many spell types are there? Magic? Faith? Is there a list that'd showcase which classes can cast what type of spells, so as to be able to plan beforehand?
Holy water is in the game and it stops enemies from chasing you on the map, but you can still blunder into an enemy and have to fight.

The magic thing is more that spells are tied to certain classes. Magic and Faith are skill trees, but they don't include the conventional spells. So if you're a Priest you can cast certain spells and if you're a Mage you can cast certain other ones. It's not part of your skill tree distribution.

If I remember right, of course. Haha.

Aeana

Segata Sanshiro said:
Holy water is in the game and it stops enemies from chasing you on the map, but you can still blunder into an enemy and have to fight.

The magic thing is more that spells are tied to certain classes. Magic and Faith are skill trees, but they don't include the conventional spells. So if you're a Priest you can cast certain spells and if you're a Mage you can cast certain other ones. It's not part of your skill tree distribution.

If I remember right, of course. Haha.
You're right, and I feel totally dumb now for misremembering that fact. I'm surprised nobody corrected me. Spells aren't learned via skill points, but levels into the class. Way to let me make a fool out of myself, guys! :(

Llyranor said:
Is it clear which classes can cast spells? Re: planning spellcasting builds.
Erm, depends on what they print in the manual I guess. I don't really remember if they tell you what spells each learn in the game, since I'm pretty familiar with DQ classes so I didn't need to/bother checking.

Maybe you can check that at the Dharma Temple when you're choosing a class? I don't remember if that's DQ6, DQ9, or both. Getting old sucks. :S

Aeana

Segata Sanshiro said:
Erm, depends on what they print in the manual I guess. I don't really remember if they tell you what spells each learn in the game, since I'm pretty familiar with DQ classes so I didn't need to/bother checking.

Maybe you can check that at the Dharma Temple Alltrades Abbey when you're choosing a class? I don't remember if that's DQ6, DQ9, or both. Getting old sucks. :S
Fixed.

:(

ITA84

English: Alltrades Abbey
German: Allesneu-Abtei
French: Abbaye des Vocations
Spanish: Abatìa Vocationis
Italian: Abbazia Mutationis

Not a single one retained the original name (not that I had any doubts about that), but only the English and German (I suppose) ones are puns.

Aeana

n9PEj.jpg

The link on the screen doesn't work yet, but the game listing on Gamestop Canada's page tells us more about it.

Come to these EB GameStop locations on Sunday, July 31 to download an exclusive map and trade maps with others using tag-mode. Participants will have the chance to win a Midnight Blue DSi XL!

Bentendo

I just got the new issue of Nintendo Power in the mail. HOLY CRAP there's a lot of info on Dragon Quest IX in there. An 8-page feature, a 1-page review, a 2-page artwork page featuring about 30 pieces of artwork, a cover page and, for subscribers at least, an image of a monster on the back of the magazine.

BooJoh

I skimmed through the topic and didn't see this addressed. Can you reset your skill points in order to reallocate them, or once you spend them are they stuck in those trees?

Johnas

Finally preordered this tonight.

I've been busy lately and didn't realize it's only a week away at this point. I hope we get DQVI in NA a couple of months after this (at least before the year's end). It'd be really cool to see something of DQX at TGS, but something tells me that's not very likely.

Anyway, really looking forward to this! I can't believe it's been almost five years since DQVIII came out over here.

Dineren

Banned
Bentendo said:
I just got the new issue of Nintendo Power in the mail. HOLY CRAP there's a lot of info on Dragon Quest IX in there. An 8-page feature, a 1-page review, a 2-page artwork page featuring about 30 pieces of artwork, a cover page and, for subscribers at least, an image of a monster on the back of the magazine.

Bah, so annoying, I just noticed my subscription lapsed. Any chance I'd get this issue if I resubscribed? I've never seen Nintendo Power for sale in my area.

JavyOO7

I bought this game in full today at Gamestop but now am worried big time since I lost the receipt. Do I need the receipt for when I get the game next week or is my information and purchase on their system? I'm worried now. :(

Dineren

Banned
JavyOO7 said:
I bought this game in full today at Gamestop but now am worried big time since I lost the receipt. Do I need the receipt for when I get the game next week or is my information and purchase on their system? I'm worried now. :(

You'll be fine, I never bring my receipt. They'll just look it up by your name.

Johnas

JavyOO7 said:

You should be fine. Didn't you give them your name, phone #, all that? I usually don't have anything on me when I pick a game up, and never have any problems.

Bentendo

Dineren said:
Bah, so annoying, I just noticed my subscription lapsed. Any chance I'd get this issue if I resubscribed? I've never seen Nintendo Power for sale in my area.

Well, if you don't ask them it's hard to tell. But I try and collect all of the issues, and when I noticed that I didn't resubscribe in time to get the Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers issue, I e-mailed them, asking if it could be a part of my new subscription and they said "sure". I'm pretty sure you can shorten your current subscription by one month if you ask for a free back-issue. I'm not sure whether you'll get the (awesome) subscriber's edition though. I did with Crystal Bearers but I don't know if that was a one time thing or if they changed things.

Dineren

Banned
Bentendo said:
Well, if you don't ask them it's hard to tell. But I try and collect all of the issues, and when I noticed that I didn't resubscribe in time to get the Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers issue, I e-mailed them, asking if it could be a part of my new subscription and they said "sure". I'm pretty sure you can shorten your current subscription by one month if you ask for a free back-issue. I'm not sure whether you'll get the (awesome) subscriber's edition though. I did with Crystal Bearers but I don't know if that was a one time thing or if they changed things.

Well I resubscribed and shot them an e-mail, hopefully I'll get lucky. I don't know how I managed to miss all their subscription expiring mail. Usually they'll send two or three letters along with a big note on the issue itself, I must've just spaced it out :\.

Lyude77

This game looks like it'll be pretty great. I might end up getting it this week if my cousin who used to love Square gets it so that we can play multiplayer. Otherwise, I think I'll wait until Christmas or something because games like Sin & Punishment 2 need my money more.

Deeku

ToastyFrog said:
Tag mode is region-free, but multiplayer doesn't work between JP and US/EU versions. US and EU are supposed to be compatible, though.
This better be true!

Tag mode being region free is awesome though. Good thing I'm actually going to Tokyo in a couple of weeks so I can get me some maps:D

Hm, wish I could find a list of participating stores in the US. I highly doubt more than 3-4 people would show up for a DQ event. If that.

Aeana

Freyjadour said:
Hm, wish I could find a list of participating stores in the US. I highly doubt more than 3-4 people would show up a midnight opening for DQ here. If that. Color me astonished if it isn't more than a handful of stores.
They'll have a list up on the link shown in the photo soon, but it isn't a midnight opening. It's 20 days after release. :eek:

Stencil

I just played through V and out of excitement for IX I went and bought IV and VIII.

I'm super psyched for IX but would anyone recommend playing through IV and VIII first?

Stencil said:
I just played through V and out of excitement for IX I went and bought IV and VIII.

I'm super psyched for IX but would anyone recommend playing through IV and VIII first?
DQVIII is a very long and slow paced game. You're probably better off playing the shorter one first.

Edit:
Regulus Tera said:
So are there any pre-order incentives? I feel like picking it up on day one.
Aeana said:
The only ones I've heard of are for Europe.
21o3qqe.jpg

A slime cap from play.com

4uw2ki.jpg

A slime keyring from game.co.uk

Grampasso

jooey said:
I wonder why you left the "dubbing industry."
Because I worked alone for too much time. After 5 years I felt too much isolated, so when Dynamic Italia (my former company) split because of internal grudges in the top ranks I took the chance to go out quietly.
That's why I left

BooJoh

I fear my post was overlooked.
BooJoh said:
I skimmed through the topic and didn't see this addressed. Can you reset your skill points in order to reallocate them, or once you spend them are they stuck in those trees?
Anyone?

Aeana

BooJoh said:

Anyone?
I don't remember there being any way to reset points, but it isn't all that restrictive anyway, since many skill lines are available to more than one class, and the progress in them is shared.

Fewr

BooJoh said:
Anyone?
Good question. I'd like to know this too.
EDIT: Thanks.

Regulus Tera said:
So are there any pre-order incentives? I feel like picking it up on day one.
For the U.S., Best Buy is offering a baseball cap that is similar to the one that Play is offering, however it is a different color. Here's a pic (sorry, but I could not find a larger pic on bestbuy.com):
2ik2pdz.png

I'll probably get it at Best Buy for the cap even if it isn't the highest quality.
Edit: I should clarify that it isn't really a pre-order bonus since you get it when you purchase it.

MrDaravon

Easystride said:
For the U.S., Best Buy is offering a baseball cap that is similar to the one that Play is offering, however it is a different color. Here's a pic (sorry, but I could not find a larger pic on bestbuy.com):
2ik2pdz.png

I'll probably get it at Best Buy for the cap even if it isn't the highest quality.
Edit: I should clarify that it isn't really a pre-order bonus since you get it when you purchase it.

Hmmm, that's actually kinda neat. I'm getting this from Amazon for like $11 (love the gaming credits), so don't think I can justify switching over though.

Top Bottom