• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Mockingbird said:
at Toys R Us you get a $15 gift card with the purchase of this.
Nice. Thanks for the heads up. Reading Best Buy's price matching policy, it seems that they would match this offer, but the wording is a little confusing. Has anyone successfully PM'd a gift card promo like this at Best Buy before?

MrDaravon

Easystride said:
Nice. Thanks for the heads up. Reading Best Buy's price matching policy, it seems that they would match this offer, but the wording is a little confusing. Has anyone successfully PM'd a gift card promo like this at Best Buy before?

Very YMMV; price-matching Gift Cards at Best Buy is not guaranteed and doesn't actually fall under their price matching guarantee (it's considered a "promo"). I've never tried it myself, but I have seen a pretty good number of people successfully price-match giftcard offers at Best Buy. I'd say it's definitely worth a shot yeah.

Aeana

Some advanced class names, thanks to Nintendo Power:

Ranger -> Ranger
Battlemaster -> Gladiator
Magic Warrior -> Armamentalist

Last one seems to be a bit much! Might be confusing for kids trying to play.

Vamphuntr

I have some small questions, hope you can help.

From what I have read you get to create every characters in your team? How many can you create? Are you limited to 3 to fill your team or can you create more. Since you can pretty much change everyone jobs I guess it's hard to create a useless character.

Now let's talk about the jobs. Are the jobs balanced? Are some of them worthless? I maybe want my main character to be a thief or monk and then become a ranger. I want it to be different than the classic DQ hero. Are you stuck alone for a while in the game? If I create a mage are the solo battles winnable or will I have to switch to a melee type job to beat them?

Vamphuntr said:
I have some small questions, hope you can help.

From what I have read you get to create every characters in your team? How many can you create? Are you limited to 3 to fill your team or can you create more. Since you can pretty much change everyone jobs I guess it's hard to create a useless character.

Now let's talk about the jobs. Are the jobs balanced? Are some of them worthless? I maybe want my main character to be a thief or monk and then become a ranger. I want it to be different than the classic DQ hero. Are you stuck alone for a while in the game? If I create a mage are the solo battles winnable or will I have to switch to a melee type job to beat them?
You can create quite a few. Enough to have one person of each job, at least, if you want.

As to job balance, I haven't really put every job through serious paces, but I think every job offers something useful in terms of an ability or two that kick butt. I'm not sure if you could create a character that could get particularly stuck. As for being alone,
you're alone for the first part of the game, and there is one part later where you are alone, but no matter what job you choose, your hero should be strong enough to handle it. He's still the strongest character in the game, after all.

Aeana

There really aren't any useless classes. I used all of them except for the two "secret" ones, and found every one to offer something useful. Even minstrel does. And also, due to the skill line overlap, you rarely start out at a complete disadvantage when swapping classes.

This may have been asked before, but is there a Japanese Wiki of any sort with Skill / Class info? The few I've stumbled upon are incomplete at best.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
GO WITHOUT A WEEKS WORTH OF FOOD!

RAMEN RAMEN RAMEN RAMEN
Pff that's for rich people.

Soup it's where it's at.

But really, S&P2 raped my budget, But I've always found the other DQ for 15 bucks used after release. But end of the month for sure.

BooJoh

289cz9v.png

Reward Zone members only and mailed to you apparently.

Gravijah

Wait, this game is only 34.99? OH YEAH NINTENDO OF STUPID ASS SE, WOO!

Aeana said:
I don't remember there being any way to reset points, but it isn't all that restrictive anyway, since many skill lines are available to more than one class, and the progress in them is shared.

So, no need to worry about "messing up" characters? I'm very OCD about that and I'd like to be able to build characters how I'd want without having to worry too much.

Shouta

Gravijah said:
Wait, this game is only 34.99? OH YEAH NINTENDO OF STUPID ASS SE, WOO!

So, no need to worry about "messing up" characters? I'm very OCD about that and I'd like to be able to build characters how I'd want without having to worry too much.

You'll never get messed up characters because the points are allotted by leveling up and every job gives points, so you can go to another job to earn points for the other if you wanted to. Kind of nice but makes the characters a lot more samey because it's so easy to do that.

BooJoh

Shouta said:
You'll never get messed up characters because the points are allotted by leveling up and every job gives points, so you can go to another job to earn points for the other if you wanted to. Kind of nice but makes the characters a lot more samey because it's so easy to do that.
What's the growth rate like on average? Like how many trees can I expect to max out by endgame or level cap?

Shouta

BooJoh said:
What's the growth rate like on average? Like how many trees can I expect to max out by endgame or level cap?

You'll probably max a few per character through the course of the base storyline, assuming you aren't hunting metal enemies down. If you start hunting metal enemies down, you'll be clearing a lot of trees pretty quickly.

kai3345

Banned
So I'd have to have 3 other people near me who own this game to play it? Or can I get matched up with random people?

Aeana

kai3345 said:
So I'd have to have 3 other people near me who own this game to play it? Or can I get matched up with random people?
To use the multiplayer feature, yes, 1-3 other people near you for the local wireless. Nothing keeping you from playing the singleplayer game, though, which is just as substantial as any other DQ.

RoboManus

Neo Member
I've been hearing that the commercial for this game appeared before the screenings of Twilight Eclipse, is this true?

If so, Nintendo is going all out. lol

Hex

Banned
RoboManus said:
I've been hearing that the commercial for this game appeared before the screenings of Twilight Eclipse, is this true?

If so, Nintendo is going all out. lol

I wouldn't touch Twilight with a prophylactic covered razor spiked baseball bat, but indeed it is true that they put the commercial there.
Not sure if it would be the right audience as I would think Twilight viewers would be too busy laying in their hot topic fasioned synthetic velvet poly blend rooms eating bon bons, smoking cloves and writing shitty poetry and being all angsty and shit to play Dragon Quest but you never know.
Will definitely be seen by huge numbers.

Effect

I wonder if this will be street date broken. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Has Nintendo ever advertise a game before a movie before?

Can't wait to pick up my copy, with my midnight blue xl :D I just have one question? Can you still get treasure maps and quests in the single player game? I would love to do them on my own if I could.......

Hex

Banned
Fantastical said:
Putting a commercial before Twilight is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.

Did you see the numbers of people that went to see the movie already?
I would call it an odd idea because of the crowd (I would have put it in front of a more fantasy oriented film myself) but more people saw the ad over the weekend than would see it on tv in three months.

seady

So far there isn't much hype to this game, but I wonder what's the kid scene of this game is as I don't pay attention to the kid's channel or hot topics right now.

It could explode like Pokemon, Just Dance or those Zu Zu Pets things that I am not even aware how popular they are.

Hex

Banned
seady said:
So far there isn't much hype to this game, but I wonder what's the kid scene of this game is as I don't pay attention to the kid's channel or hot topics right now.

It could explode like Pokemon, Just Dance or those Zu Zu Pets things that I am not even aware how popular they are.

I think Nintendo is making a huge mistake by trying to go all american with the ads.
If they pushed it with more of an anime style ad accenting the art and the world I think it would be more successful.
Most game ads are asinine these days anyway.
I very much think that the lack of hype is sad though, no pre-order bonuses and no in store swag to buy makes it look like it was sent to die.
Luckily it looks like a strong game, and word of mouth plus those loyal to the series should help.

thefil

I don't like preorder bonuses and I don't like baseball caps, but by some strange twist of fate this slime cap is making me regret preordering at Gamestop.

Dineren

Banned
Hex said:
I think Nintendo is making a huge mistake by trying to go all american with the ads.
If they pushed it with more of an anime style ad accenting the art and the world I think it would be more successful.
Most game ads are asinine these days anyway.
I very much think that the lack of hype is sad though, no pre-order bonuses and no in store swag to buy makes it look like it was sent to die.
Luckily it looks like a strong game, and word of mouth plus those loyal to the series should help.

As much as I love this series I'm not convinced any type of advertising would actually give this a strong push. At the very least what Nintendo is trying is different and who knows, maybe it will be wildly effective.

Less than a week to go! I'm tempted to try and play through Dragon Quest 3 before 9 arrives. Three, six, and nine are the only three I haven't played through yet. I don't think I'd make it in time though and I'd hate to have to stop in the middle until I finished up with 9.

Hex

Banned
thefil said:
I don't like preorder bonuses and I don't like baseball caps, but by some strange twist of fate this slime cap is making me regret preordering at Gamestop.

I would love the cap, but I had a $10 off amazon credit to use plus I hate paying tax.
If I could be guaranteed to get a price match at Best Buy for the Toys R Us deal and be guaranteed to get the cap i would switch.

Hex

Banned
Dineren said:
As much as I love this series I'm not convinced any type of advertising would actually give this a strong push. At the very least what Nintendo is trying is different and who knows, maybe it will be wildly effective.

Less than a week to go! I'm tempted to try and play through Dragon Quest 3 before 9 arrives. Three, six, and nine are the only three I haven't played through yet. I don't think I'd make it in time though and I'd hate to have to stop in the middle until I finished up with 9.

I just started through the english translations of DQ 1&2 for Super Famicom in preparation :lol

Tiktaalik

I'm curious if anyone been able to get any of their friends interested in this title? I'm definitely going to be picking it up but I'm sad to say that I doubt I'll be able to experience any of the online features.

Everyone I know is ready and willing to jump on the Monster Hunter/Peace Walker hype train but turn based combat apparently turns off a heck of a lot of people. :lol

Fantastical said:
Putting a commercial before Twilight is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.
The tagline for Eclipse movie posters was "It All Begins With A Choice"
The Seth Green advertisement emphasizes the high degree of CHOICES you can make in the game.

Best cross-promotion everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Dineren said:

Yeah I don't see this selling anywhere near what it needs to / they want it to no matter what audience they throw ads at. Thread title is as relevant as ever.

Hex

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
I'm curious if anyone been able to get any of their friends interested in this title? I'm definitely going to be picking it up but I'm sad to say that I doubt I'll be able to experience any of the online features.

Everyone I know is ready and willing to jump on the Monster Hunter/Peace Walker hype train but turn based combat apparently turns off a heck of a lot of people. :lol

The only person I have gotten into it was my gf.
Most people I know who play games grew up on turn based whether it was Wizardry (what I cut my teeth on), Final Fantasy, Ultima and other turn based games.
To most of us turn based is the favored choice.

Top Bottom