• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Is character customization/clothing really only tied in with armors and the like? If so that sucks! I don't wanna have to swap out cute outfits for less cute ones just to up my defense >.<

Nintendo said:
Also, we currently have this game under review embargo until Friday, July 9 at 10 a.m. PT. We respectfully request that you adhere to this guideline as well and not post a review or impressions of the game in any written fashion until that point in time if you had plans to undertake such an endeavor.

Youtube impressions/reviews incoming?

Philia

Wow. I'm so glad that text was bolded and even in RED.

Save slots: 1

:\

Ah well, my sweetie bought one on Amazon on cheap (11 bucks) and now he's encouraging to go ahead and get another one at TRU for their gift card. IE he'll play the TRU copy while I'll play the shipped copy 4 days after.

Dineren

Banned
Easystride said:
The U.S. GameStop site has updated with info on locations for the July 31st event. Thankfully, there is one location about 30 minutes from me.

I'm surprised my Gamestop is actually on the list. An event there doesn't sound too appealing, but I'll take what I can get.

antispin

Anyone here with pre-order experience with Play-Asia? I imagine the game will reach me late but I want to know how late, and I hope that I imagine wrong.

teekun

speedpop said:
I have no idea when this is being released in Australia now. Maybe I should just import the US version.

I don't think anybody does. The only information I can find is "August"

Just import it. Word is that copies from any region can communicate with one another, so you shouldn't be missing anything if the game does get popular here and tons of people are out playing the Australian version in a month.

antispin said:
Anyone here with pre-order experience with Play-Asia? I imagine the game will reach me late but I want to know how late, and I hope that I imagine wrong.

In my experiences, pre-orders of US games don't usually ship for a week after release. They have to get their stock from the US shipped to Hong Kong first, then sent out to everyone who pre-ordered.

antispin

teekun said:
In my experiences, pre-orders of US games don't usually ship for a week after release. They have to get their stock from the US shipped to Hong Kong first, then sent out to everyone who pre-ordered.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks. I think I am staring at a two week gap between US release and me getting it; accounting for shipping to my address.

Easystride said:
The U.S. GameStop site has updated with info on locations for the July 31st event. Thankfully, there is one location about 30 minutes from me.

Closest one to me is participating. I'm torn between wanting to be the only person there and not wanting to be. Midnight Openings are awkward enough.

Deeku

teekun said:
I don't think anybody does. The only information I can find is "August"

Just import it. Word is that copies from any region can communicate with one another, so you shouldn't be missing anything if the game does get popular here and tons of people are out playing the Australian version in a month.
I'm still hoping that if I walk around with my ds on tag mode in the city/uni for long enough, I will get one treasure map:lol

thefil

Himuro said:
Is the free ds contest ONLY in Canada? I don't see this on the USA site. SCREW YOU CANADA!!!

Anyways, I'm watching this week's Nintendo Week and Nintendo's REALLY pushing this :D

Wait what? Where is this contest?

Gravijah

Himuro said:
That's because Persona 3 has a calender and scripted events that can alter your game or delay you, so you cover your ass.

I only use one save slot for dq. It's only disappointing in the sense that you'll have to start from scratch every time you want to replay it.

I'm sure it's not too big of a deal, Pokemon and such only have one slot too.

teekun

commanderdeek said:
I'm still hoping that if I walk around with my ds on tag mode in the city/uni for long enough, I will get one treasure map:lol

You won't be the only one. I'll be making sure to have it on in tag mode whenever I'm in the city or on public transport and not actually playing. Hopefully I'll bump into at least one person, although I'm not holding my breath until the game gets a proper Aussie release.

Gravijah

teekun said:
You won't be the only one. I'll be making sure to have it on in tag mode whenever I'm in the city or on public transport and not actually playing. Hopefully I'll bump into at least one person, although I'm not holding my breath until the game gets a proper Aussie release.

No one around here is going to have the game. No one. :/ Is that the only way to get treasure maps?

BooJoh said:
Closest GameStop event for me is 50ish miles away. Is the "Special Event Map" something you can only get by going there?

Sad thing is, my local GameStop usually participates in this stuff, but I'm guessing they're not this time because of the DSi XL givaway.

DSi XL giveaway? I don't see it on that page...

BooJoh

Closest GameStop event for me is 50ish miles away. Is the "Special Event Map" something you can only get by going there?

Sad thing is, my local GameStop usually participates in this stuff, but I'm guessing they're not this time because of the DSi XL givaway.

teekun

Gravijah said:
No one around here is going to have the game. No one. :/ Is that the only way to get treasure maps?

You find games on your own as well. The point of tag mode is to be able to trade maps with other players, which allows you to continue to add content to the game.

Philthy said:
Definitely an interesting method Nintendo is doing. They know their base is packed with casuals, and now they're trying to egg them on to what might a lot of peoples first RPG. Maybe it'll have the WOW effect that Blizzard got.

I think it's working... A friend of mine that works at a gamestop I usually hit was telling me
people are buying DS systems just for this game and pre-ordering the game like crazy. He said it has caught him totally by surprise.

Maybe it will work out and tag mode will actually be somewhat feasible in N.A.

Anyone else hearing anything similar where you are?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm working on the assumption that I'll be able to unlock all of the content via cheat codes. No way am I going to bother with all of this tag mode rubbish.

Rpgmonkey

vagabondarts said:
Maybe it will work out and tag mode will actually be somewhat feasible in N.A.

It'd be nice, but I still don't have high hopes for this not backfiring even if it sells. :(

For now I'm going to be really impressed if I manage to get at least five people with tag mode outside of a Gamestop event.

Mejilan said:
I'm working on the assumption that I'll be able to unlock all of the content via cheat codes. No way am I going to bother with all of this tag mode rubbish.

I think people quickly discovered a bunch of the treasure map bosses and other content that way, so I assume it's possible.

Mejilan said:

If that is true, then that is a relief

Vamphuntr

I hope I will be able to find this on Sunday. It's a Nintendo game so it should be available everywhere right? I live in a very small city so I hope Nintendo handled the distribution of this one like it was one of their Mario or Pokémon games. At worst it will give me more time to complete my Innocent Sin playthrough.

Hex

Banned
Mejilan said:

Isn't that a bit...boring?

Sagitario

Gravijah said:
One save slot... -winces- I used 10 slots over two memory cards for Persona 3.

Really? That sucks! I always lend my DS games to my little brothers [one of them loves Dragon Quest]... dammit!

I was under the impression that it the JPN SKU had 2 save slots...

madara

Well canceled Amazon, all I got was a canned response to matching the ToysRus deal.
Guess I hit the streets sunday.

Yaweee

ToysRus deal sounds pretty nice, but there aren't any near me.

Gamestop.com has 20% off any orders over $30 + free shipping. It is valid through the end of the month, but not for preorders, so I can't make the order until the game is officially out.

Any other good deals?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Thanks for the heads up on the Toys R Us deal. Since I already intended on buying two copies of the game, I'll leave the store with free $30.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I think I'll actually get this with that Toys R Us deal. I've been wanting to get into the JRPG genre as of late, and this seems like a good way to do it.

Oxx

Damn @ the Edge score. Can't remember last time they rated a JRPG that highly. Mario and Luigi? Disgaea? FFXII?

Anyway, I'm still waiting for my sub copy.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Myself and a friend both have copies pre-ordered for co-op play, but I just realized:

If there's less than 4 human players, can the host still select CPU characters from his host-world party to fill in the empty slots?

I'd imagine so, as some tough battles would be impossible with only two, or three, party members when they were designed for 4...

yes you can, the recent nintendo week video highlights this. You simply hire a class of character at the pub and design them yourself to adventure with you.
Pretty spiffy :)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
vagabondarts said:
yes you can, the recent nintendo week video highlights this. You simply hire a class of character at the pub and design them yourself to adventure with you.
Pretty spiffy :)

Thank you! Xcite +10 (on top of 9999)

Hex

Banned
Chairhome said:
Man, I was using my $10 credit to get this from Amazon. I'm wondering if I should cancel and get it at TRU...

If you have Prime, stay with Amazon and no tax.
If you do not have prime, go with Toys R Us

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
teekun said:
How is tag mode boring? Isn't it just a passive way to get new content?

I'd rather just be playing the game.
Otherwise, the system will be off to conserve on battery life.
I've fiddled with the tag modes of other games, and found the feature unequivocally stupid.
Not a fan of holding content hostage to such a ridiculous mode.
Thus... content-unlocking cheat codes to the rescue!

teekun

Mejilan said:
I'd rather just be playing the game.
Otherwise, the system will be off to conserve on battery life.
I've fiddled with the tag modes of other games, and found the feature unequivocally stupid.
Not a fan of holding content hostage to such a ridiculous mode.
Thus... content-unlocking cheat codes to the rescue!

I guess conserving battery life is an issue, but seeing as I end up charging my DS every day when I'm using it regularly, I don't have much of a problem with that. Sure I'd rather be actively playing it, but if I'm somewhere that I can't play, yet have my DS on me, why not put it in tag mode?

As for holding content hostage... it's randomly generated. I suppose they could include a random map generator that lets you create them yourself, but that kind of destroys the social aspect of trading maps with nice rewards, and so on.

Vamphuntr

I don't like these kind of features. If you want to lock content and make it available only in multiplayer, at least make it online multiplayer. None of my friends are getting this so it's kinda frustrating. Also pretty sure that using tag mode while walking around where I live won't net me anything either.

john tv

Mejilan said:
Way to miss pretty much the best part of the game. :)

Vamphuntr said:
I don't like these kind of features. If you want to lock content and make it available only in multiplayer, at least make it online multiplayer. None of my friends are getting this so it's kinda frustrating. Also pretty sure that using tag mode while walking around where I live won't net me anything either.
I agree with you here.

But I hope the single player is just as lengthy and satisfying as the other DQ remakes. I think the NP review said the single player content is the equivalent to those. Let's hope that's true.

That'll be fine by me, but I'd still be bummed out that I won't be able to play more than half of the game's content just because I don't have any friends to play with. :(

Reknoc

In theory tag mode sounds pretty sweet, maybe you've taken a trip into town or something and played your DS on the bus, popped it into tag mode and put it in your pocket. Then when you get on the bus back or when you're back at home and start it up again there's a new adventure waiting. Sadly the reality is I'll get bugger all because I doubt there'd be anyone else to do that over here.

Top Bottom