• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

botticus

GeekyDad said:
It's probably not worth the trouble, either. The unique skill is worth leveling up, I suppose, if you've already maxed out other, more worthwhile skills, but overall, I'm unimpressed by the luminary vocation, as well as the quest to get it.
More a matter of completion at this point, but it's not really enough of a goal (since I don't have anything to use it for other than the same maps and quests that I would be doing to earn it) to keep going.

Eteric Rice said:
Got my ass kicked on the second to last boss.

Any tips?
Which is it? The actual second-to-last boss is pretty easy if you're appropriately leveled.

Disguises

Playing through this slowly and am enjoying every bit so far. Confused about random sprite-based characters though - they look totally off, especially when the camera spins. Weird. Just wish I had a friend or 3 to multiplayer with!

Forkball

Disguises said:
Playing through this slowly and am enjoying every bit so far. Confused about random sprite-based characters though - they look totally off, especially when the camera spins. Weird. Just wish I had a friend or 3 to multiplayer with!
There are some cutscenes where some characters are 3D models, but others are sprites. It's mindblowing.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Forkball said:
There are some cutscenes where some characters are 3D models, but others are sprites. It's mindblowing.
Important characters are 3D models, the others are 2D sprites.

The game gets pretty laggy with more than a couple of 3D models at the same time in the screen.

Jeels

This been posted?

tumblr_l637cgivht1qzjufdo1_1280.png

Friend of mine linked me to that, my two favorite things. Chuck and DQ.

Slime

Banned
So I just spent an entire day in downtown Toronto, even going to a couple geeky places like comic shops and video game stores, and my trek yielded zero tag mode peeps. Bummer and a half.

Eteric Rice

Oh God, for shits and giggles I decided I was going to hit this troll I was fighting as hard as I could.

Psyche up, egg on, coup de gras procs so I use that. My Gladiator is now at 100 tension, so I use double up.

Next turn I use double edged slash.

2200 damage, Gladiator kills himself from recoil.

2woyuu1.jpg

Yottamole

Banned
I'm thinking of buying the Slime Speaker Stand, which is coming out tomorrow in America. Has anyone imported it? How's the sound quality and volume level? How loud can it get?

Eteric Rice said:
Oh God, for shits and giggles I decided I was going to hit this troll I was fighting as hard as I could.

Psyche up, egg on, coup de gras procs so I use that. My Gladiator is now at 100 tension, so I use double up.

Next turn I use double edged slash.

2200 damage, Gladiator kills himself from recoil.

2woyuu1.jpg

YES!!!! :lol

Is there any cursed equipment besides the hades helm, reckless necklace, terrible tattoo, and skull ring?

I want to create a new guy and just set him up in all cursed gear.

Question to anyone who can help:

What level should I be when I fight...

the Abbot Jack guy, I think his name was Master of Nu'un? He's killing me and my characters were level 16 but I got them to 17/18. I don't think this is enough. His multiple lightning attacks are torching me. Should I be level 20? I don't know if I can grind anymore since I was grinding for hours last night. Am I strong enough at 18?

so im about to go on vacation which means driving for five hours and i was wanting a game to pass the time with and im thinking about this game because i dont mind JRPGS espically this one since it shows you your gear on your charcter and you can create your own party members but i wouldn't be playing multiplayer at all so how is the main story and side quests? and if you could answer it for me i would also like to know how much grinding there is

jaxword

TigerUppercut said:
Is there any cursed equipment besides the hades helm, reckless necklace, terrible tattoo, and skull ring?

I want to create a new guy and just set him up in all cursed gear.

Yes, quite a bit. There's cursed weapons, like swords and whips, shields, and even shoes for some reason.

terrdactycalsrock said:
so im about to go on vacation which means driving for five hours and i was wanting a game to pass the time with and im thinking about this game because i dont mind JRPGS espically this one since it shows you your gear on your charcter and you can create your own party members but i wouldn't be playing multiplayer at all so how is the main story and side quests? and if you could answer it for me i would also like to know how much grinding there is
It's an awesome game, go for it. Pretty much no grinding necessary for the main quest.

MrPliskin

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
It's an awesome game, go for it. Pretty much no grinding necessary for the main quest.

Yea I'm surprised by that so far. I remember playing through DQ8 (which was my first DQ) and going through some pretty specific areas where I had to grind (but that may have been because I was blasting through some areas).

Still, I'm in love with the series now. I honestly love having it on the go...my grades and job however, do not :lol

rush777

Aeana said:
You don't need to grind in any DQ game as long as you use what's in your toolbox effectively.

I have to say that I actually enjoyed grinding in this game. Finding and stealing Alchemy materials getting all sorts of different skills for your party, making them incredibly powerful and efficient with all of the different class abilities. Because of that I grinded way to much and it really killed the difficulty but I still enjoyed it.

Forkball

Well I'm grinding now since I got jacked up by
King Godwyn
. What level should I be when I face him? Maybe I just need to get some new armor.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I am at the final boss and I *still* don't have a party heal spell which sucks quite a lot. And my priest is my highlest level character. I assume there must be a party heal spell right? Does only the sage get it?

slayn said:
I am at the final boss and I *still* don't have a party heal spell which sucks quite a lot. And my priest is my highlest level character. I assume there must be a party heal spell right? Does only the sage get it?

oh wow it would suck big time if thier wasnt a heal all spell

Aeana

slayn said:
Priest learns it at 38, sage at 24. There's also hustle dance for mastering fans, which is a free party heal.

Instro

I haven't finished the game yet, but if there's one thing I'm a bit disappointed by its the soundtrack. I mean the tunes themselves are good but I feel like I've basically been hearing the same 5-6 tunes for the whole game so far.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Question to anyone who can help:

What level should I be when I fight...

the Abbot Jack guy, I think his name was Master of Nu'un? He's killing me and my characters were level 16 but I got them to 17/18. I don't think this is enough. His multiple lightning attacks are torching me. Should I be level 20? I don't know if I can grind anymore since I was grinding for hours last night. Am I strong enough at 18?

Hm I was basically the same level, I dont recall him being too difficult. Whats your party?

RoboManus

Neo Member
Instro said:
I haven't finished the game yet, but if there's one thing I'm a bit disappointed by its the soundtrack. I mean the tunes themselves are good but I feel like I've basically been hearing the same 5-6 tunes for the whole game so far.

Yea I feel the same way, the music in this game hasn't been that memorable. Stella's theme is all I can think of that I really liked.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Make sure you're using headphones or some other external device, the music is much, much better than the crap speakers in a DS can reproduce.

jgkspsx

I'm not reading this thread, since I'm only to the end of the Bloomington story and don't want spoilers, but this is an awesome RPG so far. If more were like this I wouldn't have quit the genre.

My wife finally got Pavo showing up, so I'll be joining her in our next session...

Instro said:

Hm I was basically the same level, I dont recall him being too difficult. Whats your party?
Minstrel which is me, Priest, Mage, and Martial Artist.

Also, whenever I distributed my points, I think I made a mistake by distributing them too evenly instead of using them for one weapon at a time.

Do you think I made a mistake?

Instro

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Minstrel which is me, Priest, Mage, and Martial Artist.

Also, whenever I distributed my points, I think I made a mistake by distributing them too evenly instead of using them for one weapon at a time.

Do you think I made a mistake?

Yeah pick one weapon for each character and stick with it, its not a big deal though. Its easy to make lots of skill points once you can switch classes so I wouldnt worry about it. At the moment its probably best to just focus on building up the class specific skill point slot, since you get some nice skills and permanent stat boosts.

Can you do alchemy yet? Or if you have to you might need to head down to Port LLafan and buy some gear there if he is giving you too much trouble(I think there is a few items there that help deal with electrical damage). Like I said though I dont recall have any problems, just hack away with your hero and martial artist and you should be fine.

Instro said:
Yeah pick one weapon for each character and stick with it, its not a big deal though. Its easy to make lots of skill points once you can switch classes so I wouldnt worry about it. At the moment its probably best to just focus on building up the class specific skill point slot, since you get some nice skills and permanent stat boosts.

Can you do alchemy yet? Or if you have to you might need to head down to Port LLafan and buy some gear there if he is giving you too much trouble(I think there is a few items there that help deal with electrical damage). Like I said though I dont recall have any problems, just hack away with your hero and martial artist and you should be fine.
Thanks for the tip!

And yes, I have alchemy. And what's this lightning resistance armor you're referring to?

Instro

Uh I could be wrong but I think are some "rubber shoes" or something you can buy from LLaffan which is south of the Abbey. I think the description says they help resist electric attacks.

If you havent already I would recommend using alchemy to make some nicer armor/weapons. The island the abbey is on contains all the necessary ingredients to make steel gear.

Instro said:
Uh I could be wrong but I think are some "rubber shoes" or something you can buy from LLaffan which is south of the Abbey. I think the description says they help resist electric attacks.

If you havent already I would recommend using alchemy to make some nicer armor/weapons. The island the abbey is on contains all the necessary ingredients to make steel gear.
Alright. Thanks. This will help. :)

zoku88

Eteric Rice said:
King Godwyn
is making me RAAAGE.
What's giving you trouble? (And you should probably spoiler tag the name.)

I had a paladin during that fight, and probably had both kabuff and magic barrier.

(I probably overleveled myself leveling up the paladin, which made the rest of the game a breeze, lol.)

snap0212

Got my girlfriend to play this on her own. (her first rpg ever)

She's not far into it, but is it normal that she doesn't have a party? It's just her and when I asked her she said there was one guy who helped her but he didn't follow her anymore after a couple of fights. Do you have to pick up your party members somewhere? She's currently trying to beat some kind of knight?

Oh, and I just started playing Chrono Trigger. So, so good. Thanks for recommending it! :)

Instro

You pick your party members up at the Inn in Stornway. If shes fighting Wight Knight already that means she is passed it and should head back to town.

On another note it always surprises me when I see someone playing Chrono Trigger for the first time, hard to imagine that there are people who still haven't played it at least once.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
For all the complaints about the plot being a bit thin, I still find it more entertaining than that of any JRPG since The World Ends with You.

Link Man

Banned
Just wanted to pop in and say that bows are the perfect match for a priest. And as somebody mentioned earlier, Needle Shot is an excellent metal killer.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Aeana said:
Priest learns it at 38, sage at 24. There's also hustle dance for mastering fans, which is a free party heal.
I'm level 35-36 =\
The final boss might be the first thing I've encountered that required grinding. He blew away 3/4 of my team from full health with a single move.
Link Man said:
Just wanted to pop in and say that bows are the perfect match for a priest. And as somebody mentioned earlier, Needle Shot is an excellent metal killer.
Yup, I did that as well. Hallowed Arrow was a great way to keep my priest's MP topped off so that I never had to stop and when he wasn't healing, the one that attacks 4 times made him a solid damage dealer.

Top Bottom