• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Reknoc said:
Batsureg Priest is the best :lol :lol
Yea, I love that guy. Make sure you do every option in the menu for full levels of awesomeness :D Also, if your party members ever die, be sure to revive them at that church.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Those downloadable quests so far should be #133,134,174, shouldn't they (at least that's what they say on the official website)? Why did I get #121,122,123? :lol

GeekyDad

Regulus Tera said:
For all the complaints about the plot being a bit thin, I still find it more entertaining than that of any JRPG since The World Ends with You.

Personally, I'm a proponent for the game's story. I wasn't looking for Shakespeare. I wanted more lighthearted Dragon Quest, and this game gave it to me in spades. Heck, I'm about 10 hours into post-game, and I'm still finding nuggets.

DarkKyo

BlazingDarkness said:
The music in this game is terribly bland, that's my main complaint so far (after about 8 hours) Awful stuff
I think the music is okay, I just wish there were more than a few key tracks(seriously, I can probably count the tracks in this game on both hands).

STG

I need kitty litter :/

I know where it should be I guess but the enemy NEVER drops it, and stealing never ever works :|

Instro

STG said:
I need kitty litter :/

I know where it should be I guess but the enemy NEVER drops it, and stealing never ever works :|

I think the island northwest of the desert has some. Assuming you have a boat anyway.

Did some grottos earlier before I continue the story,
Shogum
was pretty awesome plus I got a couple Miracle Swords off him.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Segata Sanshiro said:
Okay fuck it, I give up on DQ8 again. Maybe I'll finish it next time. Or the time after that. I want to replay DQ9 now, so I'm gonna start.
How far are you? I would just finish, then you will never have to worry about it again!

Are you playing the US version or the Japanese version also?

Instro

STG said:
I am on that island for ~1 hour now, but no litter

If its not there, you might as well take off. Alchemy items take time to be replaced, and I dont think any of the enemies on the island drop it.

One of the enemies in the desert have it though I think, the bird maybe? Check the bestiary on Gamefaqs.

Goddammit, I fell for the same trap 2 Dragon Quest games in a row: the Hades Helm. :lol

From what I remember, I can remove it at the Church but I don't remember at all what's required to un-curse it permanently. Any help?

Aeana

Revolutionary said:
Goddammit, I fell for the same trap 2 Dragon Quest games in a row: the Hades Helm. :lol

From what I remember, I can remove it at the Church but I don't remember at all what's required to un-curse it permanently. Any help?
You can decurse equipment by mixing it with saint's ashes, generally.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Slowly making my way through the game, just beat
Lleviathan
, have some work-related travel in bumblefuck nowhere coming up... so that'll mean lots of time to play!

My two cents on this game so far. I'm about 10 hours in and I am loving it. It's refreshing to have a party without personalities and emotions. More often than not anymore, JRPG characters tend to be more annoying than anything else. The graphics looks great on my new DSi XL. If the game can continue to draw me in I would say it has a chance of being my favorite JRPG of the last 5 years.

Oxx

I changed my mage into an armamentalist, but I'm not sure if I'm a fan. I miss the offensive magic.

I just noticed that Stella does has a little bit of party-chat-esque banter in the battle records screen.

LittleTokyo said:
My two cents on this game so far. I'm about 10 hours in and I am loving it. It's refreshing to have a party without personalities and emotions. More often than not anymore, JRPG characters tend to be more annoying than anything else. The graphics looks great on my new DSi XL. If the game can continue to draw me in I would say it has a chance of being my favorite JRPG of the last 5 years.

I vastly prefer having a party that feels like my own. There are some benefits to characters that are written for the game but many more drawbacks in my opinion. I feel like my troupe are my kids instead of some tepid, derivative "personalities" ;-)

All RPG's or games shouldn't ever be one thing however and I enjoy the way your party is handled in this one.

Ravidrath

So, uh... what all is there to the post-game?

I found the
Tower of Nod
, but... that seems to be the only "real" post-game content? All the places I expected to find interesting things just were single rooms with quests.

It seems that Best Buy is holding a Dragon Quest 9 event on August 7 from 12-4 P.M. with an exclusive treasure map and chances to win Dragon Quest related prizes. Here a a list of participating Best Buys. I may have to go to the Mall of America event. I bet I could get a lot of tags there.
Good to see Nintendo promoting this game so heavily. Hopefully it pays off; this game deserves it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
OMG why is this game so good?
Amazon is telling me that I should be receiving the slime speakers soon. Should be terrible, but I'm sure it'll look awesome next to the also terrible PS2 slime controller!

Ravidrath said:

I found the
Tower of Nod
, but... that seems to be the only "real" post-game content? All the places I expected to find interesting things just were single rooms with quests.
There are treasure maps and legacy bosses too. To get your first legacy boss treasure map,
fly to the small northeastern island, enter the cave, and speak to the skeleton. Complete the quest to get the map. For more information on the legacy bosses, visit the bestiary at gamefaqs.
Also, there are boatloads of small side quests. Some of which have fairly entertaining stories.

Aeana

Ravidrath said:

I found the
Tower of Nod
Post-game content is mostly quests and treasure maps. There are also story quests that will be released as DLC (one is already out), and one of those relates to the tower.

Neil

When is the online shop going to start selling decent items instead of ones I could just pick up on the world map for free? Pffft.

I just got my last fygg. Gonna do some metal slime grinding I think, the last boss (
the ghost headmaster
) kept using AoE's ALL the time and I couldn't keep up with the healing lol.

Reknoc

STG said:
ok, still kitty litter problem

does that stuff lay around or do only those yellow bird things drop those?

It should be laying around the little oasis island northwest of the desert.

Ravidrath

OK, well, I guess it's good that there isn't as much post-game stuff as expected... I'm ready to start up DQ4 and/or DQ Monsters: Joker, anyway. :)

MrPliskin

Banned
Ravidrath said:
OK, well, I guess it's good that there isn't as much post-game stuff as expected... I'm ready to start up DQ4 and/or DQ Monsters: Joker, anyway. :)

Would you say it's more or less post-game content than DQ8?

Ravidrath

MrPliskin said:
Would you say it's more or less post-game content than DQ8?

Technically, with grottoes, etc., it's practically infinite post-game content. Tons of ways to level, get new gear, etc.

But the amount of unique new content is less than DQ8, I would say.

Synless said:
What level should I be to beat that first legacy boss? I'm around 28-29 and he is kicking my ass.

Baramos?

My characters were lvl 50-54 and got my ass kicked. His regular attacks did around 80-90 damage each time but his critical attack killed in 1 hit every time and he did it fairly often.

Hyunkel6

I just met
Alena
from Dragon Quest IV at the inn in Stornway, and she gave me one of her outfits! Now, I just need the hat! :lol

Ravidrath

Hyunkel6 said:
I just met
Alena
from Dragon Quest IV at the inn in Stornway, and she gave me one of her outfits! Now, I just need the hat! :lol

General question in response to this...

Does everyone get the same visitors every week? I had the same one mentioned above.

Hyunkel6 said:
I just met
Alena

Change to Martial Artist and she'll give you either the hat(or tights)

Allow your profile to show your birthday(profile settings), change the DS' internal clock to your birthdate and go into the battle records so you can get the birthday boy/girl accolade. Go back into your profile and equip the accolade then talk to her and she'll give you her Tights(or hat).

Hyunkel6

ExtraKr1spy said:
Change to Martial Artist and she'll give you either the hat(or tights)

Allow your profile to show your birthday(profile settings), change the DS' internal clock to your birthdate and go into the battle records so you can get the birthday boy/girl accolade. Go back into your profile and equip the accolade then talk to her and she'll give you her Tights(or hat).
Whoa. Thanks a lot!

Neil

Ravidrath said:
General question in response to this...

Does everyone get the same visitors every week? I had the same one mentioned above.

Can someone please explain how the visitors work?
She told me that someone was staying... but when I went up to the royal suite or w/e both rooms were empty :/

Reknoc

Neil said:
Can someone please explain how the visitors work?
She told me that someone was staying... but when I went up to the royal suite or w/e both rooms were empty :/

When a special visitor comes after checking the DQVC they appear in their own room which shows up as an option when you go to use the elevator to the royal suite.

A good few hours into the game now, loving it but then I thought I would.

At the moment my party is Ringring (M - Minstrel), Buzz (M - Priest), Chunlee (F - Martial Artist) and Carla (F - Mage).

2 questions, when can I start changing jobs? And when do I get the alchemy pot?

Edgeward

Changing jobs happens around 8 hours in, took about that long for me and didn't spend too much time deviating till I could change jobs.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
What would be a good level to fight the
gargoyle?
My party currently consists of:

Matthew ~ Minstrel (level 18)
Tabatha ~ Priest (level 16)
Sheila ~ Mage (level 16)
Aves ~ Warriors (level 17)

I keep getting wiped out, too. Any advice?

Woo-Fu said:
Make sure you're using headphones or some other external device, the music is much, much better than the crap speakers in a DS can reproduce.

Played a bit just now with headphones and yeah, it really does make such a difference.

I'm up to Gerzuun now. Tempted to stop for a few hours and level up some of my party's other classes. <3 <3 <3 this game :D

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Played a bit just now with headphones and yeah, it really does make such a difference.

I'm up to Gerzuun now. Tempted to stop for a few hours and level up some of my party's other classes. <3 <3 <3 this game :D
Yea, headphones really add a lot to the music. Even though the music was kind of disappointing, I really liked the Observatory, the town theme, and the castle theme.

Anyway, my game clock just passed 100 hours, and I am still loving this game. I only just unlocked the second legacy boss. I don't think I will be buying another game until Gran Turismo 5 because of this game :p

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow, there's a cheat code to unlock all of the special visitors that can come to the Quester's Rest Inn in Stornway. 4 pages of 'em, to be exact! :eek:

Slime

Banned
Just stumbled upon a cute reference to a certain Pavement album in the form of the title of a alchemy recipe book about enchanted items. :D

I think I'm nearing the end of the main quest now and it's making me kind of sad. There's bound to be tons of side content, of course, but who knows how long it'll be until DQX? They better announce the NA release date for the DS DQVI remake soon...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
First Dragon Quest ever, and I'm loving it. Liking it so much more than I thought I would. I'm still near the beginning
defeated the evil spirit that wanted that Wight Night
. It's very hard for me to put down. The graphics are completely gorgeous on the DS. There are a lot of small things that I like such as pressing select and talking to the fairy in that menu. I get OCD whenever there are precentages in the game, and I like that they tell you how many of the monsters and clothes you have gotten. Very happy with it so far. Let's hope I feel this way throughout the whole game. :D

colinp

Banned
Link Man said:
Just wanted to pop in and say that bows are the perfect match for a priest. And as somebody mentioned earlier, Needle Shot is an excellent metal killer.

How do you get a priest to wield a bow? Aren't they only for Armamentalist, Ranger and Sage?

Slime said:
Just stumbled upon a cute reference to a certain Pavement album in the form of the title of a alchemy recipe book about enchanted items. :D

Hah, that's fantastic!

Top Bottom