• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Yaweee

Mejilan said:
EXCELLENT!
Now dig up a code to eliminate the on-screen character avatars for party members 2-4 and watch as your framerate while exploring even the biggest towns climbs back to the high and smooth levels you enjoyed before you filled in your party!

:lol

I've been rolling with only 3 party members since the framerate (and text speed) choked to death back in Stornway!

But, yes, I'll have to turn that on

I think:

-Instant Text
-Hide extra party members
-Instant Tags

... together constitute "DQ9: International Edition"

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yaweee said:
I think:

-Instant Text
-Hide extra party members
-Instant Tags

... together constitute "DQ9: International Edition"
Pretty much. And don't worry about the other three avatars. The code only obscures the exploring avatars. They still show up in all their glory on the status screen and during combat!

Anything that's multi-specific, however, I cheated into my file. That includes bumping up my tag count and multiplayer gaming hours such that all their rewards are available to me. So I have the biggest inn, and the special guest visitors are dutifully impressed. Now I can enjoy the game as a totally singleplayer JRPG without losing the multiplayer-only goodies! :D

How do the advanced jobs work? Should I abandon the basic jobs for the advanced ones right away? But then some quests need a level 40 *basic job*, for example, and it would take forever to get up to there.

Synless

Segata Sanshiro said:
I really wish it were possible for you guys to enjoy tag mode the way it was meant to be enjoyed. Breaks my heart to see so much shit talked about it.
It's hard to enjoy it when nobody but you owns the game. I've walked up and down my campus and around town with tag mode on several times and have not gotten one tag. I think it's safe to say I can talk as much shit about it at this point as I see fit.

Synless said:
It's hard to enjoy it when nobody but you owns the game. I've walked up and down my campus and around town with tag mode on several times and have not gotten one tag. I think it's safe to say I can talk as much shit about it at this point as I see fit.
Like I said, I wish it were possible for you guys to enjoy it the way it was meant to be enjoyed. It really breaks my heart to see so much shit talked about it.

Kad5

Mr. Wonderful said:
How do the advanced jobs work? Should I abandon the basic jobs for the advanced ones right away? But then some quests need a level 40 *basic job*, for example, and it would take forever to get up to there.

The advanced jobs aren't nessecarily better. They are more like extra unlockable jobs.

Ravidrath

Segata Sanshiro said:
Like I said, I wish it were possible for you guys to enjoy it the way it was meant to be enjoyed. It really breaks my heart to see so much shit talked about it.

What exactly does tag mode even do? I have some friends playing, and I'm sure we could arrange a time to tag-up.

Also, is there any way to easily get more Reckless Necklaces? The alchemy guide I'm looking at doesn't list any monsters that drop them, so... I just need to rely on Blue Chests?

Ravidrath said:
What exactly does tag mode even do? I have some friends playing, and I'm sure we could arrange a time to tag-up.
It copies their character along with their profile as a guest in your Inn. As you get more guests, it increases the size of your Inn, which gives you access to some extra items. Most of the fun in it for me was reading all the profiles of the strangers I tagged and checking their armour sets out and such. Wouldn't be the same with friends, I fear.

Synless

Segata Sanshiro said:
I thought you were specifically talking to those using codes. I was merely implying that I don't blame them for doing so.

Segata Sanshiro said:

Tag mode never had a chance in the USA for the majority of the people who buy this game. The land area and # of purchases are spread too thin for it to work. I can't imagine DQIX selling more than 500k. Also this is a country built on the Henry Ford philosophy of everyone wants their own car. We aren't built on mass transit; it's only an option in larger scale cities. There is no unifying gamer/geek/etc place like Akiba that people could know they would meet up at. This is why so far from what everyone has reported the best chances of getting tag to feel like it's supposed to is at game and anime conventions.

If ever there was a case of something not culturally translating effectively it is tag mode. Not because of content but because of the way a different culture works, eats, and plays.

outlawedprod said:
Tag mode never had a chance in the USA for the majority of the people who buy this game. The land area and # of purchases are spread too thin for it to work. I can't imagine DQIX selling more than 500k. Also this is a country built on the Henry Ford philosophy of everyone wants their own car. We aren't built on mass transit; it's only an option in larger scale cities. There is no unifying gamer/geek/etc place like Akiba that people could know they would meet up at. This is why so far from what everyone has reported the best chances of getting tag to feel like it's supposed to is at game and anime conventions.

If ever there was a case of something not culturally translating effectively it is tag mode. Not because of content but because of the way a different culture works, eats, and plays.
I would repeat my post here but it's really unnecessary at this point. Completely understand it's not possible. Understood it from the moment I heard about the tag mode. Still wish you guys could experience it.

Ravidrath

Segata Sanshiro said:
It copies their character along with their profile as a guest in your Inn. As you get more guests, it increases the size of your Inn, which gives you access to some extra items. Most of the fun in it for me was reading all the profiles of the strangers I tagged and checking their armour sets out and such. Wouldn't be the same with friends, I fear.

Huh, kinda interesting.

Guessing it just removes the velvet ropes blocking the staircases?

GeekyDad

Yaweee said:
:lol

I've been rolling with only 3 party members since the framerate (and text speed) choked to death back in Stornway!

Almost 90 hours in now -- about 87 of which were with a full party of four -- and I can't say the framerate was ever an issue for me. On the plus side, with only three members in your part, that's more experience per party member.

Yeah, it really does suck. I've been trying, too. I have about 30 minutes of drive time in the morning, and then again in the afternoon. I turn it on every time, just on the off chance I'll pass somebody, particularly in a traffic jam. It sounds like I'm wasting my time, though... I've heard that when people deliberately meet them up, it takes a minute to register.

I've also left it in my pocket at sporting events, and every time I go to the mall, grocery store or any other crowded area. I've yet to get a single tag.

meppi

Finally received my copy yesterday. :)
Loving the game so much.

Decided to celebrate with a little Dragon Quest reunion.

DragonQuest2.jpg

DragonQuest1.jpg

meppi said:
Finally received my copy yesterday. :)
Loving the game so much.

Decided to celebrate with a little Dragon Quest reunion.

Nice collection there :) Best thing for me post-DQ IX will be that I have had V on my shelf for a year and a half and never got round to starting it :) I own and have played IV and VIII so maybe I'll finally get round to buying VII too.

Link Man

Banned
For anyone doing the lvl 40 Priest quest, I would like to suggest that the entrance to Gittingham Palace's Oubliette is perhaps the best place in which to complete it (but you'll need to cast MoreHeal in battle, so you might want a Pally with Selflessness).

I'll probably go for the finish this afternoon, and will post pics of my endgame party afterwards.

Ravidrath

Link Man said:
For anyone doing the lvl 40 Priest quest, I would like to suggest that the entrance to Gittingham Palace's Oubliette is perhaps the best place in which to complete it (but you'll need to cast MoreHeal in battle, so you might want a Pally with Selflessness).

I'll probably go for the finish this afternoon, and will post pics of my endgame party afterwards.

I did it in Mt. Magmaroo, so I would whittle my guys' HP down with the lava patches outside of battle. I'd engage in a battle once someone was Red.

Link Man said:

I did the lvl 40 Priest quest by zooming to Zere and walking around the poison field(purple) until my health was orange then went into battle with some scrub enemies and healed.

Ravidrath

ExtraKr1spy said:
I did the lvl 40 Priest quest by zooming to Zere and walking around the poison field(purple) until my health was orange then went into battle with some scrub enemies and healed.

Same basic thing I did, but Mt. Magmaroo is faster, since the lava fields do 3 HP/step, making it go a lot faster.

jRPG

Where abouts should I be heading when I first get the boat? I don't seem to have uncovered any kind of clues about the whereabouts for the next fruit.

STG

stupid game!

I only wanted to play a bit for 20 minutes, some leveling etc.

that was 3 hours ago...

I just can't lay it down :(

gogojira

Would having a warrior and a gladiator in one party be redundant? Right now I'm rocking a warrior as my main with a gladiator, martial artist and priest for support.

Second question because apparently I'm having a rough time grasping this vocation shit, but I'm trying to make my warrior not so goddamn slow to attack. If I level up a ranger and pump skill points into getting things like +10 deftness, does that carry over or is that another stat that goes by the wayside?

turnbuckle

Yaweee said:
After some help from Mejilan, I bought an Action Replay so I could crank up the text speed. So far, it has brought DQ9 from a low POS that I was probably going to trade in today for SC2, to something I'm really enjoying. Honestly, that one code feels like it speeds up everything. Battles, interface, and town all flow much better with instant text.

Whoa, what is this? How do I do that? Sounds awesome.

botticus

gogojira said:
Would having a warrior and a gladiator in one party be redundant? Right now I'm rocking a warrior as my main with a gladiator, martial artist and priest for support.

Second question because apparently I'm having a rough time grasping this vocation shit, but I'm trying to make my warrior not so goddamn slow to attack. If I level up a ranger and pump skill points into getting things like +10 deftness, does that carry over or is that another stat that goes by the wayside?
Agility is the stat you're looking for, and it would carry back over to the Warrior. However, the bonuses you get from skills are likely not enough to make a huge difference. I suppose the Warrior might attack before a few more enemies, but they'll still probably be dead last in your party. It might be more noticeable if you got the bumps from Ranger, Thief, and MA, but for a Warrior I think there are a lot more important skills and traits to spend points on.

gogojira

Mejilan said:
I prefer wands to staves, honestly. My two primary spellcasters both have wands and bows maxed out! Also keep in mind that unspent skill points accrued in one vocation DO persist after a class change and can be spent later, on another vocation's skills. Ther's really no reason to be arbitrarily wasting points on skills that you won't be using.

Well shit, I didn't know that. That's good to know.

Edit: Thanks for the tip, botticus.

BooJoh

ExtraKr1spy said:
F*ck you Baramos. Bullshit ass boss. Starts of attack only once per turn but after some damage he attacks twice and every time he does his critical attack. Seems like he gets faster also, he used to attack afte all my characters have attacked but when he starts attacking twice he usually attacks after my MA(who has 400+ agility)

btw wheres slime hill?
He was really hard for me at first, but I spent some time skilling some other class trees (Gladiator for extra STR and HPs plus Feel the Burn, Warrior/Paladin for HP/Def, Martial Artist for speed) and leveling my guys a little more and now I've got him leveled up to 9 and he's still no problem for me.

Slime Hill is just east of Angel Falls, the cliff with the cave on it. Best grinding place outside of grottoes imo because you can find up to 5 liquid metals in a single battle sometimes. It helps if you have some 50% crit axe/spear skills or the falcon blade for metal slashers.

Link Man

Banned
botticus said:
Agility is the stat you're looking for, and it would carry back over to the Warrior. However, the bonuses you get from skills are likely not enough to make a huge difference. I suppose the Warrior might attack before a few more enemies, but they'll still probably be dead last in your party. It might be more noticeable if you got the bumps from Ranger, Thief, and MA, but for a Warrior I think there are a lot more important skills and traits to spend points on.
My Paladin is my fastest character, almost always goes first (sometimes second after my priest). But she did some training as a Martial Artist, Thief and Ranger (I could probably go for the Litheness skill, too, but I haven't yet).

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow, if this game does well here in the US, I guess that'd be saying quite a lot about the handling of too many other JRPGs that were brought over and left to die. Some by Nintendo, and way too many by SE, no less.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't get it until just now. :lol
I love this game.

Mudkips

Banned
So I just picked this up and...

Why do I have to kill a "White Knight" who's dressed in all black?
Why does he kick my ass so bad? I'm level 12 from running all over the place, but he absolutely destroys me. (I am alone in my party and am not doing multiplayer dealies).

The game feels pretty stripped down and boring as is.
Do I get a proper party at some point? Or do I have to deal with multiplayer shenanigans?

I see people discussing cheats.
I've got an AceKard 2i (I have yet to dump my DQ IX to it) - what cheats are there, what do they do, and how do I enable them?

Text speed - YAY
Hiding characters - You mean when walking around on the world map? Why would you want this?
Something about tags? What are tags?

I kinda bought this on a whim and didn't really realize it was so multiplayer focused.
I want me some single player goodness.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Mudkips said:
(I am alone in my party and am not doing multiplayer dealies).
You gotta make some AI dudes at the inn.
It's kind of surprising how a lot of people are having this problem.

Yaweee

Mudkips said:

Why does he kick my ass so bad? I'm level 12 from running all over the place, but he absolutely destroys me. (I am alone in my party and am not doing multiplayer dealies).

The game feels pretty stripped down and boring as is.
Do I get a proper party at some point? Or do I have to deal with multiplayer shenanigans?

I see people discussing cheats.
I've got an AceKard 2i (I have yet to dump my DQ IX to it) - what cheats are there, what do they do, and how do I enable them?

Text speed - YAY
Hiding characters - You mean when walking around on the world map? Why would you want this?
Something about tags? What are tags?

I kinda bought this on a whim and didn't really realize it was so multiplayer focused.

You should have a party by now. Go to the inn in Stornway. The knight isn't that hard when you're not trying to solo him.

The pun is "Wight" Knight, with a wight being an undead creature.

The cheat for hiding characters is to drastically improve the framerate in towns. Once you recruit your party and they start following you around, the framerate takes a nosedive into the shitter.

Mudkips said:

He's not the White Knight, he's the Wight Knight.

Go back to Stornway and create a party.

DQIX is single player focused. Any and all multiplayer options are entirely optional.

Chorazin

Mudkips said:

It's not really MP focused at all, you can play and beat the game without ever touching the MP stuff.

Did you not talk to the other girl at the Inn that explains your party system and tells you about making new characters? The one that came to Angel Falls to get Anne.

Mudkips

Banned
Jtwo said:
You gotta make some AI dudes at the inn.
It's kind of surprising how a lot of people are having this problem.

It's kinda surprising how the game didn't tell me I should do this.
I mean, I talked to the lady at the Inn who said I COULD do it, but all I saw was level 1 scrubs, and I figured I would go as the story guided me.

Yaweee said:
You should have a party by now. Go to the inn in Stornway. The knight isn't that hard when you're not trying to solo him.

The pun is "Wight" Knight, with a wight being an undead creature.

The cheat for hiding characters is to drastically improve the framerate in towns. Once you recruit your party and they start following you around, the framerate takes a nosedive into the shitter.

How big can parties get? 3 or 4?
Wight? What. Is this a DQ thing? I've never really played DQ much.

So basically, I need to get some cheats for text speed and character hiding, then I need to get some party members.

Single player focus? Yay.
If I fill my party with filler scrubs from the inn, would I miss out on any story party members? (I'm guessing that there either are none, or that at that point in the story I simply choose which one of my scrubs to kick out).

Top Bottom