• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest appreciation thread

Aeana

speedpop said:
One thing I've noticed after going through a semi-DQ music listening over the past few days, almost all of the dungeon music in every Dragon Quest is not irritating in the least. In fact the music makes you want to search every nook and cranny, in other words the sound itself is promoting you to explore.

I really like that touch that Sugiyama does. It's as if he knows that the last thing players want to hear is loud thrashy music to try and force you into the mood of high anticipation and anxiety that other RPGs may try and do. Instead the dungeon music has that air of "what's around the corner..?" description.

Something that sets Sugiyama's work on Dragon Quest apart from others is that he actually plays the games while/before he scores them. This is actually why he couldn't score Dragon Quest Swords alone - because he couldn't play it very well (due to the action). Most RPG composers don't do this, and that's why I think Sugiyama's stuff fits the Dragon Quest games so well.

speedpop said:
I really like that touch that Sugiyama does. It's as if he knows that the last thing players want to hear is loud thrashy music to try and force you into the mood of high anticipation and anxiety that other RPGs may try and do. Instead the dungeon music has that air of "what's around the corner..?" description.

The music that plays while you control the mouse in Argonia is so Disney-esque, you could swear it was straight out of the Rescuers Down Under or something.

ethelred

Aeana said:
Something that sets Sugiyama's work on Dragon Quest apart from others is that he actually plays the games while/before he scores them. This is actually why he couldn't score Dragon Quest Swords alone - because he couldn't play it very well (due to the action). Most RPG composers don't do this, and that's why I think Sugiyama's stuff fits the Dragon Quest games so well.

Huh. That's really interesting. I did not know that.

Sugiyama is a really impressive man in the industry. Between that tidbit you shared above, his skills as a conductor, his tendency to write orchestral arrangements to all the music he composes, and his outright palpable love of music, the series is really fortunate to have him.

mutsu

ethelred said:
Huh. That's really interesting. I did not know that.

Sugiyama is a really impressive man in the industry. Between that tidbit you shared above, his skills as a conductor, his tendency to write orchestral arrangements to all the music he composes, and his outright palpable love of music, the series is really fortunate to have him.

and he is getting old... :( hopefully he will be around for a while to come.

Ahahaha oh wow.

I finally unlocked the Job system in DQ7. It's a bit different then I expected.
Rather then some mystic artifact or something. Magical and the like. It's something any average joe can go through if they just visit the temple.

Aeana

vag 2.0 said:
Does DQVII run on the PSP yet?

Apparently, it runs fine... but there used to be a crash bug before fighting Deathpal. I don't know if anybody has tested that part on newer firmware, yet, but you could use an emulator to get past that part if you needed to.

ghibli99

This series has always intrigued me, but I just could not get into DQ7 or DQ8 (which is about the time I started paying attention to DQ games).

Probably been covered ad nauseam, but for someone who hasn't played any of the earlier installments, where should I start, what should I skip, etc.?

Don't assume that the age of the game will prevent me from liking it. I love playing and discovering oldskool games for the first time.

Aeana

ghibli99 said:
This series has always intrigued me, but I just could not get into DQ7 or DQ8 (which is about the time I started paying attention to DQ games).

Probably been covered ad nauseam, but for someone who hasn't played any of the earlier installments, where should I start, what should I skip, etc.?

Don't assume that the age of the game will prevent me from liking it. I love playing and discovering oldskool games for the first time.

Well, for what reason(s) could you not get into DQ8?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Aeana said:
Apparently, it runs fine... but there used to be a crash bug before fighting Deathpal. I don't know if anybody has tested that part on newer firmware, yet, but you could use an emulator to get past that part if you needed to.

I'm doing the Mt. Flame scenario now on the PSP, so I'm about 8 hours into the game, and I've yet to experience any issues. IIRC, the White Wolf scenario is next, and that's where things tended to crap out on 3.40. Then again, even then, if you had the original disc, it wasn't an insurmountable issue. I'm testing on 3.72 POPS, so I'll definitely report in if things work out for me.

Mejilan

Does anyone know the specific details of the Gabo/Deathpal fatal glitch that makes playing DQVII on the PSP uncomfortable?

Aeana

Mejilan said:
Does anyone know the specific details of the Gabo/Deathpal fatal glitch that makes playing DQVII on the PSP uncomfortable?

I think it freezes when the lid is removed from the stone coffin and Deathpal emerges? I think that's what I heard, anyway.

EDIT: Actually, it seems to be when you put the lid back on, not when it's removed.

There's a post on MaxConsole that says:

I've now beaten the Mt. Ceide boss, and was able to push the coffin lid closed and continue on with the story (This is the part it used to freeze at). It seems the game may now be playable on 3.40oe!!!!!:D

Mejilan

When you get there, the lid is already displaced. Deathpal just materializes at some point.

However, after you beat him, you have to move the lid back over his coffin to reseal him. Needless to say, I fought him, I sealed him, and now I'm back in Orph, talking to everyone now that they're restored. Unless the game just ups and crashes on me when Gabo actually joins, I think we can say that on 3.72, that crash is resolved.

Or, I suppose, I just got REALLY lucky.

Mejilan

Not sure if anyone's following my DQVII on PSP progress, or cares, but I'm now at just under 30 hours, and I've reached the Dharma Temple. Yeah, I'm not in any rush. The magic of portable RPGS, and all that.

Anyway. I still have an absolutely amazing tally of crashes and major flaws: 0.

Aeana

Mejilan said:
Not sure if anyone's following my DQVII on PSP progress, or cares, but I'm now at just under 30 hours, and I've reached the Dharma Temple. Yeah, I'm not in any rush. The magic of portable RPGS, and all that.

That's fantastic news. I'm considering putting it on my PSP and playing through the English version for the first time (only played the Japanese version before).

Mejilan

It does get a tad bit framey on larger towns with more geometry, but overall, it's been an absolutely amazing experience. POPS 3.72 seems to be the way to go for this game, so far.

Pellham

Banned
Mejilan said:

Man, I should have thought about doing that before I started replaying the game on PS1. Granted, I have a slim so I have been a bit lazy in trying to figure out how to mod it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Next week I'm gonna pick up DW1 GB... wish the NES DW games logged the number of hours you've spent playing the game, hopefully the GB ones do - I've always been dying to know how long I've spent playing these games as a kid.

Mejilan

Do you mean DWI&II for the GB/GBC? If so, those games were somewhat 'sped up' from their earlier NES incarnations, IIRC. At least, I remember gaining weapons and levels MUCH faster than those games of my youth...

DQVII PSP update: 37 hours in, currently farming gold, experience, and class/job levels in the desert/dune scenario. Still awesome. Still flawless.

I know there's a thread for Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker but I figure that this appreciation thread would be the better place to post since it is, periodically, actually active.

To get a familiar refrain out of the way; being a DQ neophyte--VIII being the first game in the series that I have played--this is my first Monsters game. through the course of this semester I have somehow managed to invest about 42 hours into DQMJ so far and am quite enjoying it. Moreso than any Pokemon game that I have played (Emerald and Diamond) up to this point.

Having someone to play against has helped, it definently altered my playing habits but even before I gained a nemisis I was pretty enamoured with the game. I don't think I would have delved as deeply as I have into the whole synthesis aspect though, which I have discovered is pretty damn deep. I ordered the guidebook and only the first quarter of it actually deals with playing through the game, the rest is filled with a beastiary/fusion charts, skill charts/lists, monsters team lists of rival scouts, etc, etc. It's pretty damn comprehensive, the way DoubleJump was up until that Persona 3 guide. Now I'll be able to come up with a game plan to get some of those Type S and X monsters for some post-holiday multiplay fun times.

Monsters has been a fun time sink. Definently hold me over until Swords and/or IV are released in NA.

Aeana

It's a pretty good writeup, I read through it earlier.

I strongly disagree with some of the things stated in the introduction, but overall, it's rather nice.

Also, I must warn anyone who hasn't played Dragon Quest 5, avoid the DQ5 page, there's a major spoiler.

Mejilan

Since this was bumped, it's time for another DQVII PSP update:

Currently about 68 hours in. Last major story bit I did was revive and recruit the ancient hero, Melvin. My guys are at levels 30-32, dwarfing the piddly 19 he starts off as, and with each having mastered 6-8 classes! Hell, I was almost done with my hero's Godhand, and am already learning the uber class, Hero, with him. I've now amassed enough shards to unlock three new locations, and will be doing those next.

Not one crash or flaw. The game has been more stable than the PSOne original (which was unusually susceptible to crashes brought about by light disc scratches, in my experience. Truly a flawless experience so far, save for the bit of framiness that occurs in geometrically robust locations, that I meantioned earlier.

I'll probably actually fully beat DQVII this time. What a treat!

Hereafter

Mejilan said:
Since this was bumped, it's time for another DQVII PSP update:

Currently about 68 hours in. Last major story bit I did was revive and recruit the ancient hero, Melvin. My guys are at levels 30-32, dwarfing the piddly 19 he starts off as, and with each having mastered 6-8 classes! Hell, I was almost done with my hero's Godhand, and am already learning the uber class, Hero, with him. I've now amassed enough shards to unlock three new locations, and will be doing those next.

Not one crash or flaw. The game has been more stable than the PSOne original (which was unusually susceptible to crashes brought about by light disc scratches, in my experience. Truly a flawless experience so far, save for the bit of framiness that occurs in geometrically robust locations, that I meantioned earlier.

I'll probably actually fully beat DQVII this time. What a treat!

Thanks you just made my day.

Are you using 3.71-4?

Mejilan

Started on 3.71 M33-3 (but using POPS 3.72 via single disc POPSLoader), and continuing on 3.71 M33-4 (but using POPS 3.72 via multi-disc POPSLoader)!

Johnas

Mejilan said:
Started on 3.71 M33-3 (but using POPS 3.72 via single disc POPSLoader), and continuing on 3.71 M33-4 (but using POPS 3.72 via multi-disc POPSLoader)!

Glad to hear your progress. I've made two serious attempts at finishing this game, and despite my love for DQ, never did. I'm just gonna start over soon and hopefully the third time will be the charm.

Did you create your own job/skill path or follow something from a guide? I have the strat guide and remember looking in it and planning something out, but I didn't play it much longer after that.

Mejilan

I'm going on my own, for the most part. There's a booth guy to the left of the high priest of the Dharma Temple that has pointers about the first and second tier classes, including mastery requirements for the second tier. And by the time my characters had mastered enough classes to have 3 or so second tier classes under their belt, Hero started to show up. Good stuff! I've got two Heroes in training now, my main hero (Loto), and Gabo. I imagine that once Maribel finishes up her Paladin mastery (also second tier), she'll have access to Hero as well.

Melvin. Well, he's FAR behind, and isn't likely to ever catch up.

I don't have a guide, and I'm not hitting up any FAQs.

LevelNth

Banned
Man alive this thread just furthers my desire for a massive update of the original game. Of course, my dream would be completely idiotic and unmarketable and would bomb like no one's business, but I'd KILL for a remake of I. Absolutely top-of-the-line visuals, sound, scope, seamless world, zero loading, etc., but retaining identical gameplay to the original, and I mean identical. They could add some length though, that'd be cool.

Damn that would pretty much be my ultimate game right now.

Johnas

LevelNth said:
Man alive this thread just furthers my desire for a massive update of the original game. Of course, my dream would be completely idiotic and unmarketable and would bomb like no one's business, but I'd KILL for a remake of I. Absolutely top-of-the-line visuals, sound, scope, seamless world, zero loading, etc., but retaining identical gameplay to the original, and I mean identical. They could add some length though, that'd be cool.

Damn that would pretty much be my ultimate game right now.

I'd love either a DQIVr/DQVII-style remake of I, or especially an VIII-style remake. I really have to wonder if they'll DS the first three games, or just go ahead with some kind of VII remake after DQIX.

You don't really want a stairs command for I though, do you? ;)

Mej: Thanks for the info.

Mejilan

No problem. The original incarnation of DQI is practically an unplayable mess by today's standards. Utterly shallow and extremely dated (even when it hit). The GBC remake was infinitely more playable, and as a bonus, included an improved remake DQII as well.

Or, you could always hit up the similarly improved SNES remakes of DQI&II (but those were never localized).

Aeana

jaundicejuice said:
Ah, so the GBC remakes are the ones to check out then, nice to know.

Yes, if you don't like using ROMs and fan translation patches. The SNES versions are superior to the GBC versions in most ways.

LevelNth

Banned
Johnas said:
You don't really want a stairs command for I though, do you? ;)
Well yeah, STAIRS and DOOR would go simply because I'd love to see a seamless, Jak & Daxter-style world. BUT THE REST STAYS DAMNIT!

Mejilan said:
The original incarnation of DQI is practically an unplayable mess by today's standards.
Don't care, it's 100% nostalgia for me and damn the rest.

Johnas

jaundicejuice said:
Ah, so the GBC remakes are the ones to check out then, nice to know.

Most people prefer these, but I prefer the NES originals by a fair margin.

I still find the NES games extremely playable, and went through all 4 of them again earlier this year.

Johnas

Aeana said:
Really? Why's that?

More colorful, better graphics (I realize that's somewhat subjective though), larger field of view in the NES games, playing on a TV versus a handheld.

A nitpick is that I hate the white battle backgrounds in the handheld games. I should also make it clear that I have not played the SFAM remakes of the first three games, I'm referring strictly to the GBC titles here.

I'm really hyped for the DS remakes, though.

Aeana

Johnas said:
More colorful, better graphics (I realize that's somewhat subjective though), larger field of view in the NES games, playing on a TV versus a handheld.

A nitpick is that I hate the white battle backgrounds in the handheld games. I should also make it clear that I have not played the SFAM remakes of the first three games, I'm referring strictly to the GBC titles here.

Hmm... well, the GBC version of 1 has battle backgrounds. 2 has white backgrounds, but the NES version has black... no real difference.

The GBC versions are also easier. Shrug. I've never actually met someone who prefers the NES versions, but that's cool.

Johnas

Yeah, like I said I know I'm in the minority. I have a real soft spot for the NES as well. You're right about the black backgrounds, I just prefer them for some reason. The white just looks really strange to me.

I'd also like to say that I like the commands in DQI, I just think they'd be out of place in a modern-day remake. I had to take a jab at LevelNth for his emphasis on "identical". ;)

I, too - prefer the NES versions, but that Does'nt mean that I don't like the GBC versions. Its just that I grew up playing them on nintendo, so i'm used to them. The GBC versions are based on the sufami remakes, in which DW3 amazes me to this day that it's so close to the sufami remake of 3. Love the ending songs on 1,2,and 3 on GBC though!

Top Bottom