• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

Aeana

I have the game and everything installed right now, I got Overplay and mhotspot, I'm really not good at this sort of thing though, and am having trouble setting it up. I've read a few guides posted on here, but I'm still not sure how bridging the connection works.

I have VPN connection for Japan setup, but how do I connect to that using the Wii's WiFi? If I'm on that connection, does it mean I'm not on my normal internet connection? I'm a total noob at this, any help would be appreciated.
Whatever computer you're running mHotspot on, you'll have to have one connection coming in and one coming out. I personally could not get mHotspot working, so I used Connectify instead. It is really simple. You choose the internet connection you want to share, and the device you're going to use to send the signal out, and it just works. I have internet coming in via my laptop's internal wireless, and I plugged in another USB wireless device and I use that to share the internet with the Wii.

Varshes

Whatever computer you're running mHotspot on, you'll have to have one connection coming in and one coming out. I personally could not get mHotspot working, so I used Connectify instead. It is really simple. You choose the internet connection you want to share, and the device you're going to use to send the signal out, and it just works. I have internet coming in via my laptop's internal wireless, and I plugged in another USB wireless device and I use that to share the internet with the Wii.

Okay, I'll give Connectify a shot tomorrow, thanks for the help.

Aeana

Oh oh, one addendum. If you're using Overplay's app, once you connect to Overplay, it creates a new device on your system. Like Tap-Win32 or something. THAT is the device you use as the source for your internet, else you'll end up just sharing your normal connection.

Varshes

Oh oh, one addendum. If you're using Overplay's app, once you connect to Overplay, it creates a new device on your system. Like Tap-Win32 or something. THAT is the device you use as the source for your internet, else you'll end up just sharing your normal connection.

Yeah I think I get what you mean, just a matter of figuring out how to switch over to that device I would guess.

Espresso

Banned
Are you running Windows 7? Connectify won't work otherwise.

What I do is simply open up the WiFi connect from the taskbar, connect to VPN (after establishing a WiFi connection to my router), turn on Connectify, select from the drop down menu which connection I want to share (I named it vpntraffic), then enable broadcast. Once you're at the point that your W7 computer is sharing your VPN wirelessly, just turn on your Wii and configure your Internet settings.

muu

If you have a DDWRT compatible router I think the easiest way to go is to install their Overplay VPN add-on. couldnt get mHotspot to work either so I took that route, up and working in no time flat. May try connectify though since this method changes my entire network to the proxy IP, which then blocks access on all devices to places that require US IPs (netflix, etc on an ipad, etc).

Tried leveling w/ Flames with a mage pt yesterday, holy crap does that go fast. ~20k/hr exp, no joke. Should go even faster once I level a few more and get MATK to 230+, at which point you can one-shot them with 3 people.

Varshes

Thanks for the help, everyone. I grabbed Connectify, do I have to have the Pro version to do what I need it to do? Under "Sharing Mode", ethernet is the only option and it says "Pro only feature". Thanks again.

muu

No idea if this has been asked before here but is there any info about the final boss from this game anywhere?

What? This is Dragon Quest. You run into the final boss within the first 5mins of the game and his mugshot is on the packaging.

Not saying for sure since I haven't gotten that far in the game (and likely no one here has), but that's pretty typical DQ. He may not be the final boss, and even if he is now 3 months from now we're probably going to get more final bosses to go after. Various strategy sites already have info on the final boss if that's what you're looking for but I'm not going to spoil myself to help you with that. Supposedly requires a well-coordinated lv50 pt to take down.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
One could be made but it will cost about 10k G.

Not sure what features are included once you have one set up though. Besides like an emblem which can be put on things like a shield for example. Not quite too sure what else at the moment, but for the most part just have seen it on shields with folks running around. Though quite surprising how not many guilds seem to exist currently.

muu

Thanks for the help, everyone. I grabbed Connectify, do I have to have the Pro version to do what I need it to do? Under "Sharing Mode", ethernet is the only option and it says "Pro only feature". Thanks again.

Just gave it a spin for my needs, works perfectly. The pro feature is the 'automatic connection' part, manually select the tap w32 and it works just fine.

Aeana

One could be made but it will cost about 10k G.

Not sure what features are included once you have one set up though. Besides like an emblem which can be put on things like a shield for example. Not quite too sure what else at the moment, but for the most part just have seen it on shields with folks running around. Though quite surprising how not many guilds seem to exist currently.

Well, you get team chat too, which I think is the primary reason why we're interested in forming one. I'll gladly contribute gold to it.

aBGIa.jpg

I believe you have to have reached a certain point in the story in order to form one, so I don't think I'm able to do it myself just yet.

Gloam

I've 1000G set aside to contribute to the guild, can probably send some more if it's needed. Think it'll be good for keeping in touch, as it's hard to co-ordinate adding everyoe to the friends list.

Forever

Banned
I've 1000G set aside to contribute to the guild, can probably send some more if it's needed. Think it'll be good for keeping in touch, as it's hard to co-ordinate adding everyoe to the friends list.

If everyone donates 1000G you could afford it easily.

I'll add pledge amounts to the player list in the OP.

Aeana

I spoke about it with some people on Twitter and we're all pretty much ready to do it. We just need someone who's far enough in the story to actually form it.

muu

Too bad guilds aren't in ff11's LS format -- I'm in one w/ some friends now on my main and likely sticking with that. Could certainly put my alt in there tho.

BTW, the helper 3DS app is out now. Spotpass features are meaningless for those of us not in Japan, but the app includes an AH search feature letting you check prices on all 6 regions. Other features are similar to what you get at the community website.

Parakeetman

Ill have to load it up later on need to recharge the 3DS. Yeah it indeed is too bad about not being able to be in multiple guilds. Odd that they didnt seem to allow for that.

john tv

Too bad guilds aren't in ff11's LS format -- I'm in one w/ some friends now on my main and likely sticking with that. Could certainly put my alt in there tho.

BTW, the helper 3DS app is out now. Spotpass features are meaningless for those of us not in Japan, but the app includes an AH search feature letting you check prices on all 6 regions. Other features are similar to what you get at the community website.
Rx5UV.jpg

It's super rad. Can't wait to get my DQX StreetPass on from tomorrow!

Parakeetman

Ok by far the Elf higher level quest chain to get the train station unlocked for use in the capitol city is the hardest out of the bunch. Jesus christ at the 2nd boss fight. And I thought the first one was bad enough.

Was taking 70-80 damage with スカラ added to my character twice. Not to mention the boss also has the defense down spell, all party attack and can do double attack... not fun let me tell you. Tried this at lv 45. The rumor if it being able to wipe out lv 50 parties Id have to say is true from what I saw.

Parakeetman

how are you guys liking this DQ compared to the others in the series so far?

Its a bit hard to compare to the rest considering its a fully online game for the most part. But as mentioned its a Dragon Quest game that has an MMO built around it.

Though the MMO mechanics do make some things harder with advancing as in getting equipment that is good enough to make things easier when it comes to the boss fights and such due to what a pain in the ass it is to make money.

The story seems to be well done enough and each continent / race has their own happenings going on which you are able to see when you start the game as a specific race and play through other parts of the story related quests on your journey.

Besides some of the hair designs lifted straight from DBZ there really isnt anything that is game breaking in terms of pulling you out of the world itself unlike 9 with its ganguro fairy and the magical invisible flying train not to mention just poor character design overall for the story. The characters you meet in 10 are actually designed nicely imho and fit the theme of the world itself.

john tv

Whelp, I started a team (i.e. guild) tonight. Team names are JP only, unfortunately. I present to you...the メガトンレンジャーズ (and our absolutely hideous emblem):

2955223673.png

Emblem creation is pretty lame actually. We threw the two most American things we could find in ours (an eagle and a rose ;p) but we'll probably remake it later when something better comes along. Of course, they charge you to do this. But the options are really limited right now.

It costs money to put it on a shield, too. I paid 150G to see what it looks like. That part is kinda cool actually, but it'd be better if they had more/better design options.

Happy to invite anyone who wants to join, but don't feel obligated obviously. There's a core group of us here in JP who play almost every night, and we realized tonight we could really use the team chat feature because we had two parties going at once. (Team members can chat with each other anywhere/anytime, regardless if they're partied up or not. Super useful.)

Three of us paid the $10k for the guild (@FarmboyinJapan, @revenantkioku, and me, @johntv). I'm pretty sure we'll be adding in @jonnyram and @RyougaSaotome tomorrow. If anyone else wants in, just say so and I'll invite you.

Gloam

Nice work John. If you wouldn't mind shooting me an invite, when you get time. Is it like the friend system where the other person has to be online? If so, it might hard to sync Ireland and Japan time!

Jonnyram

Wow, nice work on the team creation. I'll be on tonight for sure. Got my level 30 and need to kill my boss cat. Got that bag expansion quest too, if that's easy?

Parakeetman

The bag expansion asks for you to kill 2 enemies till they drop a specific item. The lizard man is by far the biggest pain in the ass out of the 2 with how much damage it can deal at lv 30.

john tv

Yeah the lizard sometimes casts バイキルト on himself, which can be very dangerous. But they sometimes roam right near the town entrance, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'll be happy to help, but I won't be on until like 11pm.

Bag quest is totally worthwhile too but keep in mind you don't get the upgrade for 24 hours. I had to actually mail some shit to Kyle and then have him mail it back to me (but not pick it up yet) to make space in my bag. LOL. (Vault is totally full.)

Parakeetman

Yeah the lizard sometimes casts バイキルト on himself, which can be very dangerous. But they sometimes roam right near the town entrance, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'll be happy to help, but I won't be on until like 11pm.

Bag quest is totally worthwhile too but keep in mind you don't get the upgrade for 24 hours. I had to actually mail some shit to Kyle and then have him mail it back to me (but not pick it up yet) to make space in my bag. LOL. (Vault is totally full.)

Yeah Im surprised there isnt a vault quest. Since jesus I need my vault bigger over my bag. Its too bad the vault isnt separated into items / equipment like how your bag is. Considering how you need to play all the classes too to get the passives for your main. Kinda too easy to run out of space too fast.

Jonnyram

Yeah Im surprised there isnt a vault quest. Since jesus I need my vault bigger over my bag. Its too bad the vault isnt separated into items / equipment like how your bag is. Considering how you need to play all the classes too to get the passives for your main. Kinda too easy to run out of space too fast.
Oh, the passives carry over to other classes? That's handy!

Parakeetman

Yeah the ones which are not listed as class specific will carry over. Its why Im going insane with trying to get some of the monks passives for my fighter. Esp the 50 HP one. To get some of the more useful ones requires you to get pretty much up to lv 40ish to have enough points to acquire it. D: Which is a huge slog and a half to do all over again. Even using the higher ranked hires to power level your way there.

Need all the HP and def I can get since getting one-two shotted = D: on the bosses you go through with the sub story progression for the capital cities of the various races. Dear god the elf one is impossible. D: You know a boss isnt meant to be beaten when you have
スクルト x 2 on yourself and still are getting hit for 80-90 damage on top of having a defense rating of 218.

Going to try and get the dwarf and puklipo one instead, since have at least those started. You can expect at least 2 boss fights in progressing difficulty when trying to get the key emblems for the capital cities. Ogre one is the easiest to do so far seems to be the general consensus from the internet on all the nations. Which I do agree since managed to finish that on my own with NPC helpers at Lv 44 as a fighter. They say its easier as a healer, since you can run around and away on your own and just heal the NPCs. Where as the melee classes you basically are screwed with trying to protect the healers. Who also dont cast the heavy spell on you to help assist with trying to push back some bosses. Even if you do set the AI to try various things they still do not cast the heavy spell that often.

Ill let you guys know how the misadventures went in the dwarf / puklipo capital city quests after my corpse gets dragged back into town lol

My life is ruined due to this and Guild Wars 2 being out at the same time. D:

muu

Been out of town (and away from the Wii) over the weekend, just checked the EXP count and... holy crap, 21,370 EXP. Guess I'll be a lv42 mage as soon as I log in tonight.

Gloam

Wow, everyone's really storming ahead of me, guess I should advance the story a bit and try out some new areas. Only level 22 at the moment. Just unlocked the spirit ball, life saver!

Haliela

I really hope this comes to NA. I'd love to finally be able to play it on Wii or Wii-U. It's a shame we're being ignored for now.

Maybe NoA plans to make a Wii-U push for this sometime in the future?

d+pad

I really hope this comes to NA. I'd love to finally be able to play it on Wii or Wii-U. It's a shame we're being ignored for now.

Maybe NoA plans to make a Wii-U push for this sometime in the future?

I agree, Haliela. I used to think the Wii U version was a lock for Western release, but now I'm a bit worried. Don't let us down, NOA/NOE! :(

john tv

I'll be on tonight from around 11pm Japan time (like 10am Eastern, 7am Pacific) if anyone wants an invite to the team/guild. Looking forward to getting back after two days off!

john tv

Ah just saw it now, thanks man. Is there a guild bank where I can deposit the funds, saved up 1000 for such an eventuality.
Ah no worries, we already paid for it so it's all good. :) Thanks tho!

Just sorta messing around tonight and waiting for Jonnyram to pop on so I can add him too, but if you're usually around during these hours, def. up for some questing next time!

Gloam

Ah no worries, we already paid for it so it's all good. :) Thanks tho!

Just sorta messing around tonight and waiting for Jonnyram to pop on so I can add him too, but if you're usually around during these hours, def. up for some questing next time!

Yeah, being unemployed helps with the time difference stuff. Should be on again, as for now, dinner awaits. Hope to team up with you guys/gals in the future!

muu

Wow, just wow.

Nikkei: dice feature in DQX may have Square Enix responsible for illegal gambling operations
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNASFK2801Y_Y2A820C1000000/

Stocks fall at noticeable levels the day following the article
http://stocks.finance.yahoo.co.jp/stocks/detail/?code=9684.T&d=1w
http://kabutan.jp/news/marketnews/?b=n201208300026

Square issues press release
http://www.square-enix.com/jp/company/j/news/2012/html/46ef086593dba412903bbcae8261cd65.html

The level of stupid in the Nikkei article gives you enough of a headache. It's amazing that stockholders responded to this kind of level thinking it's a real issue. Just how many MMOs do these nutjobs think has a /random feature builtin?

muu

And word from 2ch is that Theyre doing tv coverage on this as well. Guess their social gaming advertising copartners really don't want to see DQ doing well.

Aeana

Wow, just wow.

Nikkei: dice feature in DQX may have Square Enix responsible for illegal gambling operations

http://www.square-enix.com/jp/company/j/news/2012/html/46ef086593dba412903bbcae8261cd65.html

The level of stupid in the Nikkei article gives you enough of a headache. It's amazing that stockholders responded to this kind of level thinking it's a real issue. Just how many MMOs do these nutjobs think has a /random feature builtin?
Well, consider how many of those are actually available in the Japanese market.

Parakeetman

Wow, just wow.

Picard-and-Riker.jpg

extralite

Wow, just wow.

I registered with Nikkei to read this article just to find out that it's only available to owners of a payed account. Do you know what the article says in detail and what the reasoning for the gambling accusation is?

I know Pachinko is only legal because you can't win money with it, just lose it. I guess some other reason must apply if DQX were to be considered illegal gambling.

Edit: I usually don't go to server 1 as it's always crowded but as was explained to me players gamble there by their own rules. I guess winning of virtual goods is part of that gambling. Interesting but an understandable reasoning in light of the gatcha ruling. I wonder how SE could even prevent players from doing this 'illegal' gambling.

Top Bottom