• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

extralite

Still can't download or do the system update. The beta test community on Miiverse is full of complaints about being unable to download or slow download speeds. My comment got 9 yeahs. Well people in Japan trying to download right now were staying up for this or just got up so they should be upset.

6 more hours until people can actually play the beta version. At least whoever managed to download it by that time.

Gloam

Good luck with the download! I'm looking forward to jumping back into the game once life stops attacking! I'm very impressed by the amount of content that has trickled out since release, really looking forward to dyeing armor components, will lead to some much needed visual differentiation between characters.

I wonder if the Wii U version still has the IP block that the Wii version had?

I'm so jealous of you all. I can't wait to play this game (and still hoping beyond hope that SE does a Wii U release in the West).

Just a general game question - does it feel more like a traditional MMO, or an expanded version of DQIX with a persistent world/updates. Not to keen on the former, would obviously much prefer the latter.

extralite

I wonder if the Wii U version still has the IP block that the Wii version had?

I'm pretty sure the beta still has it. The conditions for participating in the beta explicitly state that you must reside in Japan to take part.

Will confirm in a few days, most likely. Will confirm for the final version once that is out.

extralite

Fix is out. Updating now, beta download is next.

I hope I can post some in game beta photos soon.

Edit: Interesting. The eShop download is only 71MB and probably an install loader. Might mean that the actual 6.5GB beta file is downloaded from SE servers. Should take 1 1/2 hours according to Nintendo. Miiverse posts have reported a range of one to several hours.

Edit2: Starting the small file downloaded from the eShop triggers an update. This is the large download.

Left the beta downloading this morning (6GB) before I came to work.
Can't wait to give it a go when I get home tonight.

I'm also hoping that:
a) Nintendo will compensate people for not being able to play the beta for about a week, given that it was a major draw to people to buy the Black Premium Wii U.
and
b) S-E give players in the full-game an in-game item to reflect that they played the beta. That would be ace :)

extralite

So, everyone already saw in the trailers how IQ was improved. The orchestral soundtrack is a great addition also. But my biggest gripes with the graphics in the Wii version are present here as well.

Popup/draw distance is still poor. It might have to do with it being an online game and the area data getting streamed and maybe it's better if you're in Japan and have fast internet. But for me the problem persists.

Also frame rate is still poor. Move the camera and you will painstakenly notice how low the frame rate gets. I got used to it playing the Wii version for over half a year but I really wished they had been able to fix this.

The gamepad is used for communication only. No quick menu selects like in DQIX. This was like a non-brainer so I'm puzzled why it is missing.

The implementation of the software keyboard is also a bit clumsy. But as menues and stuff were improved considerably in terms of convenience since the game first launched I guess they will improve the software keyboard as well. Right now I'd rather keep using my USB plus CC combo (which also has much better battery life).

The home button is disabled, as it was in the Wii version. This means no Miiverse integration (in the beta at least) and no browser to check the hiroba site or other internet while playing DQX.

Photos are taken in HD but on the hiroba site you can only access low res versions. You can still see what version the photos come from, Wii on Wii U has the upscale filters showing and the Wii U version has better IQ noticable even in the lower resolution.

Edit: Removed for now, maybe I'll bring them back later.

Enjoy?

a) Nintendo will compensate people for not being able to play the beta for about a week, given that it was a major draw to people to buy the Black Premium Wii U.

Beta started on Wednesday and the fix was distributed on Friday. That's 3 days at most, hardly a week.

Aeana

Uh, wow. The framerate isn't improved? I feel a lot better about not being able to get it, then, since that is the only thing I wanted out of it.

Kandinsky

Doubt they'll fix the framerate problems by March 30, but heres hoping they do!

The home button is disabled, as it was in the Wii version. This means no Miiverse integration (in the beta at least) and no browser to check the hiroba site or other internet while playing DQX.
I guess this makes sense, pausing an online game and all that, but I wish they still let us access to the browser at least, checking quests/items/mobs/drops from database sites would be godlike, oh well.

Thanks for the impressions extralite, still want so bad D:

extralite

Uh, wow. The framerate isn't improved? I feel a lot better about not being able to get it, then, since that is the only thing I wanted out of it.

At times, it can be very smooth. I caught myself admiring the breast animation of my ogre character. ;P

Gloam

At times, it can be very smooth. I caught myself admiring the breast animation of my ogre character. ;P

SE are optimizing the important things I see... Would be nice if the frame rate was fixed by release, the initial videos of the Wii U version were very promising in this respect.

To be honest, the most enjoyable thing about it is being able to play on the Gamepad. (Press both sticks in at any time to switch).

When I got home last night, I was happily levelling whilst talking to my wife in the kitchen last night.

Just in case anyone is in the same boat as I was:

I wanted the 50% off on the Japanese eShop available to those who have registered/played the Wii version.

To some getting this version is a problem because you have to buy it through the Square Enix eStore in Japan, which doesn't accept foreign credit cards.

So, I used SutoCorp.com to buy WebMoney.
I then logged into my Square-Enix account (https://secure.square-enix.com/) and added my WebMoney code in there to be added as Crysta.

Then I went to the SE eStore page, logged in and purchased the code at 50% off (therefore 3490yen) - the product page is here:
http://store.jp.square-enix.com/detail/SEDL-1007?fromsearch=s2=2&cat=game

This gave me a download code which I put into the WiiU eShop.

The game is now downloading! Tada!

I hope this helps someone out :)

extralite

Same as before. Funny, when I arrive at my house (you can fly there and land directly at the entrance) for a moment there is just the ground, then one part of the house popping up after the other. Maybe it's not just the internet connection but also load times from the HDD/flash memory.

But really, render performance is very much the same as on Wii, in some places worse. Worse: slightly longer transition from field to battle scenes, house building when you arrive. Better: detailed shadows, better lighting, higher resolution, AA. Same: frame rates (fluctuates heavily) and draw distance.

It still looks a lot better than before. But relative to hardware it is an underwhelming title. On Wii, there were the known problems but it is among the best looking games on Wii. On Wii U, Nintendo Land looks better than DQX.

The OST is much improved though. And it is a great game no matter the graphics.

Gloam

The first sequence they show is a concept movie that looks to be at a much higher spec than the final game.

Later the video shows another proof-of-concept with a guy running and a few of the game's story sequences, it seems to be using a different shading technique for the cut-scenes. There's some early footage of battles that look more in line with what we're used to from the final game also.

I received this item in my email today:

1366352146.jpg

Haven't picked it up yet - but it looks pretty cool! (Not my picture - grabbed from someone's blog.)

extralite

That's for playing the beta, right? I really need to check either my mail or hiroba more.

Edit: Something nice for you as well:

If you enter このこねこのこ as a present spell in the item code section you get a coin with which you can go meet a bunch of cats as a boss fight in the random dungeon. You get a cat beard boosting speed by 5 for beating them.

Gloam

Lookin' good. How's the crafting these days? I heard word of being able to customize your clothing to a greater degree since the Wii U release and later patches.

extralite

Each piece of equipment, excepts weapons and shields, has two main colors which can be changed at a low price, but you need 10 flowers of the color you want to change another color to, per color area and equipment piece. Flowers need to be grown at your house.

You can sow 1 seed for 8 flowers of the basic colors. Some colors are oly available in certain tribe regions. Rare colors (which cannot be bought directly) may randomly sprout in place of a similar basic one if you use enough dung. One flower may end up having two blossoms, so in the best case scenario you would harvest 16 flowers per round.

Flowers grow faster if they are given water often, friends and neighbors can help with that. It will still take days for one round. It takes quite a bit of time to color a full set of armor, 5 pieces with 2 colors each, that's 100 flowers at around 8~14 rounds, depending on the number of colors you want to use and their rarity.

Some equipment has more than two colors, in that case part of it cannot be color changed.

MASB

Does anyone have a link to the Nintendo Direct in the OT? It's gone private and seemingly every site I've gone to that talks of the full Direct video, links to that one.:p

Something nice for you as well:

If you enter このこねこのこ as a present spell in the item code section you get a coin with which you can go meet a bunch of cats as a boss fight in the random dungeon. You get a cat beard boosting speed by 5 for beating them.

Extralite, you gent! Thanks a lot!
Is that the first of these codes or are there more?

I LOVE this game, it's fantastic.

What's your character code?
If anyone wants to add me my name is ケネデ and my code is WL092-223.

extralite

I think I sent you a friend request before but you didn't add?

Here is my code, from the OP.

extralite GE158-293 すカイっぱい

There are more present spells but I only remember this one. On the official site only the first and last character are given. I learnt the full spell from a friend online while playing, before I saw it on the hiroba.

Something nice for you as well:

I started wondering if there were more codes I could get and started searching the internet:

がらっといめちぇん - tshirt
かいぞくすたいるだ - 2 genki balls
じゃんぷでうんだめし - ticket?
おとしだまげんきだま - 1 large genki ball
みんなではっする - 1 large genki ball
おしゃれにきめるぜ - ticket?

extralite

Except for my address and the list of people I traveled with, all other info is open to friends. Your profile is much more restrictive than mine, actually?

Gloam

So there's some neat stuff coming up in patch 1.4:
Hover scooters, team costumes, renting of special clothes, automatic registration at the bar upon exit and more!

extralite

So there's some neat stuff coming up in patch 1.4:
Hover scooters, team costumes, renting of special clothes, automatic registration at the bar upon exit and more!

I like that they add quick swapping of equipment profiles during battle and being able to use several of the same item at once.

Gloam

It's interesting that they went with a segway over a horse or something. Though, thinking on it I don't think there are any horses in the game, couple of deer but... Anyway, it's nice to have the segway in time for the return of Arrested Development.

extralite

It's interesting that they went with a segway over a horse or something. Though, thinking on it I don't think there are any horses in the game, couple of deer but... Anyway, it's nice to have the segway in time for the return of Arrested Development.

Well the segway quest is linked to the dwarf storyline and the dwarf tribe had a very technically advanced civilization in ancient times which is lost in the current DQX world. The segway is an artefact of that old civilzation and uses a fuel called dorzerin, hence the name Dorboard. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be magical in nature as Aeana implied.

Top Bottom