• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

Shouta

Hrm, I'm having trouble deciding between Female Ogre or Male Weddy (or Female Weddy I guess), lol. I don't know which to play. D=

Aeana

OK, I started my char. ID is PC484-136 and the char name is エズリン

I sent you a friend request!

I'm thinking about making a new thread for this game. This one is very, very out of date and it'd be nice to be able to call attention to new features and the lack of IP lock and such with a new thread. If anybody objects, let me know. Or if anybody wants to help me with info, since I'm still kinda feeling my way around what's new, let me know as well.

Aeana

I didn't fight any coin boss. I think it did that because I got 2nd place in the lottery, IIRC it told me it was sending out special lottery tickets.

I'm up to the last dungeon of the 1.0 story I think, but there's still some key emblems I don't have, so I'm gonna get them first. The dungeon I just did, I felt woefully unprepared for and I only managed it because of a level 80 support I had.

extralite

Yes you get two for winning rank 3 or above at the lottery and the twelve friends you last were in a party with (support or real) get one ticket each. I forgot that you can play the lottery in regions other than the ogre one, lol. There the top 3 prizes are coins for Gracos, King Hydra and Baramos. The special rank is a house, like in other regions.

Edit: You can check which friends will receive SP lottery tickets here: http://hiroba.dqx.jp/sc/home/friend/party/

At 44 you could maybe have defeated Razburn even without breaking the level cap for supports. I was 48 when I defeated him so with only supports just above 50 you should have won too. Can still go lower obviously.

Gloam

You mean the chat window or the canned greetings?

Shift + Enter for chat window,

Hold your cancel button for greetings.

You know the crossed shaped window where you can select different characters to type in manually, can't get Japanese input to work with my keyboard.

Aeana

You know the crossed shaped window where you can select different characters to type in manually, can't get Japanese input to work with my keyboard.
I don't think you can, but if the problem you're having is that the Japanese comes up as question marks, simply install Locale Emulator and then run dqxboot.exe through it in Japanese mode to start the launcher/game.

Aeana

I was in the middle of the new thread and I don't even know anymore. I guess I should still make it since this one is outdated, but I shouldn't expect any new people to start playing because of it. :(

extralite

This sucks.

There was a scheduled maintenance that was supposed to be from 4:00 to 6:00 am (iirc) Japanese time but looking at the version 2.2.8 update information it took until 9:01 am.* In the change list (2 items) they stated they took counter measures to what caused a great server strain on Sunday 3rd of August.

The other change is that new characters now already have a weapon equipped when you start playing (?!). There also is a bug fix list with 4 items.

*Edit: Actually it was supposed to be until 9:30 am so they finished early. The colliseum reopened at 9:30 as scheduled. For the competitive colliseum a lag free experience certainly is important so I guess we have to respect the need to make that work fluidly for the Japanese players.

You can also try using the Amazon Web Services method that a lot of PSO2 players use if all else fails: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220299

It's free for a year.
Do you know if and how you can set up a connection to this via a DD-WRT router? I used Softether before the lock went away but I need to run a PC to use it with my Wii U. Any solution that works with a router would be best for me.

I was in the middle of the new thread and I don't even know anymore. I guess I should still make it since this one is outdated, but I shouldn't expect any new people to start playing because of it. :(
You could make the new thread and tell people to ask SE for a localized version. Everybody should understand that it will be on a monthly fee and be worth it too.

Gloam

Well this is a bummer. Good thing I didn't cancel my IPVanish subscription. Very lame though, not having to fuss with VPN stuff was really great. Who knows, maybe it'll go away again in the future. You never can tell with SE.

cube001

I tried the amazon web services method, but it didn't work for some reason. I was just hoping to lower the latency a bit, as I'm using Overplay VPN at the moment with 280 ms, an additional 100 ms to what it was without VPN.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone manage to run the game with amazon web services and does it have lower latency than a VPN connection?

Aeana

I haven't tried it personally, but I can try it out tonight. If I'm ever gonna post the new thread, having info about what works and what doesn't would be a good idea.

Did you add all of the EXEs to the program? Dqxboot.exe and dqxgame.exe are probably required, and I don't think you can follow their advice if shutting it off once you log in.

cube001

My apologies, I have added all the exe files in the boot folder but totally forgot the game folder ^^;

After doing that the game ran just fine, however the latency is worse than overplay VPN (~410 ms)

So I'm gonna stick with the VPN for now, but I can confirm that amazon web services method works.

Edit: I tried to shut off ProxyCap after logging in and the game continued to play with no issues.

extralite

So presumably they reinstated the IP lock to improve the server performance for people in Japan. Obviously players using VPNs or other IP lock bypass methods will have a slower connection than if they connected directly so actually without the IP lock we slowed down their servers less than before.

So either they really misinterpret the culprit for that high server load on August 3rd or the number of Western players after the IP lock disappeared must have increased considerably (though maybe only temporarily).

Anyway, teaching (or encouraging) more people to play with a VPN will not help performance of the game. They'd be better off lifting the IP lock again or they might try to shut down access from outside Japan altogether.

Aeana

Honestly, I doubt that the problem had anything to do with people like us. If it did, it would've been because a bunch of people tried the trial at once or something. But I find that highly unlikely. Interest wasn't that high. It's more likely that the strain came from southeast Asia, either in the form of RMT or DDoS attacks.

cube001

That's interesting that it works after it's disabled... huh. Did that improve your latency?

Not really, but given the nature of the game, its's perfectly playable with VPN even with 280 ms latency. So I guess, I'll just accept it and move on.

muu

So presumably they reinstated the IP lock to improve the server performance for people in Japan. Obviously players using VPNs or other IP lock bypass methods will have a slower connection than if they connected directly so actually without the IP lock we slowed down their servers less than before.

So either they really misinterpret the culprit for that high server load on August 3rd or the number of Western players after the IP lock disappeared must have increased considerably (though maybe only temporarily).

Anyway, teaching (or encouraging) more people to play with a VPN will not help performance of the game. They'd be better off lifting the IP lock again or they might try to shut down access from outside Japan altogether.

The August 3 thing is not the IP ban lifting, remember that happened at the end of July. That's the whole DB issue w/ the Colosseum ladder matches that slowed everything down to hell that day.

Since I already bought the game I might as well continue for a while, I'll check out AWS and see if it's any good -- Softether works but having to route everything through the VPN network sucks.

Aeana

Yeah, the major pro of the AWS method seems to be that you can choose to route just DQ10 traffic through it and keep your regular connection for everything else. A very big pro, definitely.

extralite

The August 3 thing is not the IP ban lifting, remember that happened at the end of July. That's the whole DB issue w/ the Colosseum ladder matches that slowed everything down to hell that day.

I know when the IP lock was lifted, I discovered it. The coliseum event was shortly afterwards, when the number of Western players might have been higher.

But if they reinstate the IP lock with an update that is supposed to be a counter measure to problems on 3rd August they must see some connection between the two.

Honestly, I doubt that the problem had anything to do with people like us. If it did, it would've been because a bunch of people tried the trial at once or something. But I find that highly unlikely. Interest wasn't that high. It's more likely that the strain came from southeast Asia, either in the form of RMT or DDoS attacks.
When I told my Japanese friend that the lock had been lifted she thought it had to do with the planned introduction of DQX to the Asian market so it is very much possible that we got unbanned together with Asia. Maybe the lock will be gone for good once they start service officially on the continent?

Gloam

I wonder when we'll hear about the Asian version of the game, it seems SE have been talking about expanding in other territories for a long-time now. It's probably tricky to remove all the skeleton enemies!

Shouta

Really wish they'd remove it...

Anyway, I beat the the Gold Key Emblem mission in the Dwarf Kingdom late last night. That took me forever though and a lot of Magic Waters. It was supposedly the second hardest or hardest boss in 1.0 and I can see why. If it wasn't for extralite's char and two others that I had to recruit specifically for the fight, I'd still be wasting gold and time on it, lol.

But I got a cool 96,000 XP for it and that brought me from 39 to 42. That brings me over 80 points in Kiai and netted me the +40 HP passive, hurray. I also did a bunch of Magic Labryniths with folks just plopping metal slime coins in like crazy. That netted me 50,000+ XP as well. I might spend the money I got from that Baramos coin last night on a hagure metal coin for today, lol.

muu

I know when the IP lock was lifted, I discovered it. The coliseum event was shortly afterwards, when the number of Western players might have been higher.

But if they reinstate the IP lock with an update that is supposed to be a counter measure to problems on 3rd August they must see some connection between the two.

When I told my Japanese friend that the lock had been lifted she thought it had to do with the planned introduction of DQX to the Asian market so it is very much possible that we got unbanned together with Asia. Maybe the lock will be gone for good once they start service officially on the continent?

My guess is that the IP ban lifting was accidental / whatever, just not a huge priority considering the relative lack of interest in the series in the west. It's pretty obvious it ain't preventing gold farmers from accessing the game -- one of them has been renting my char out for a good 10 hours at the least and has gold earnings maxed out.

extralite

Anyway, I beat the the Gold Key Emblem mission in the Dwarf Kingdom late last night. That took me forever though and a lot of Magic Waters. It was supposedly the second hardest or hardest boss in 1.0 and I can see why. If it wasn't for extralite's char and two others that I had to recruit specifically for the fight, I'd still be wasting gold and time on it, lol.
Yeah, the Tenma is only second to Agurane of the latter elf key emblem. Thanks for the SP ticket, btw.

If you guys ever get a magic maze boss card you need help with, let me know. Although without a good hammer paladin (which I'm not) anything higher than (and including) Dragon Gaia will probably impossible.

It's pretty obvious it ain't preventing gold farmers from accessing the game -- one of them has been renting my char out for a good 10 hours at the least and has gold earnings maxed out.

If you have a job equipped so that it gets hired by RM traders it will practically level itself. My thief and gladiator benefitted from this greatly.

Shouta

Yeah, the Tenma is only second to Agurane of the latter elf key emblem. Thanks for the SP ticket, btw.

If you guys ever get a magic maze boss card you need help with, let me know. Although without a good hammer paladin (which I'm not) anything higher than (and including) Dragon Gaia will probably impossible.

If you have a job equipped so that it gets hired by RM traders it will practically level itself. My thief and gladiator benefitted from this greatly.

No prob on the SP ticket. You and Aeana are the only two people on my friends list currently, lol.

I've got a puchi Pazuzu card as well actually, I think. Got a month on the card but it'd be nice to do it after I get a bit in passives and stuff.

I'm planning on doing Paladin alongside my Monk so I may go with Hammer actually...

Gloam

If they were releasing in mainland China, they don't allow human skeletons in games. There's other restrictions as well.

Shoulda maybe been a bit clearer about that in my post. Think the logo for the tavern might have be changed as well. Though maybe I'm thinking of American children's cartoons now.

extralite

No prob on the SP ticket. You and Aeana are the only two people on my friends list currently, lol.

If it's okay I'll send you a friend request with my secondary character too. Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind if she was added to the OP:

ソリーナ FK527-359

Shouta

If it's okay I'll send you a friend request with my secondary character too. Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind if she was added to the OP:

ソリーナ FK527-359

Go for it, I'll bring them allong and get them a bit of extra XP and gold for you.

extralite

This year's cross over event with FFXIV starts today. It will be about the same as last year according to the notification in the smartphone app which means give flowers of a certain color to a moogle, receive mandragora coins for the magic maze and get tickets for defeating mandragora which can be traded for FF related goods.

By the way, since people keep calling it labyrinth, in Japanese it also uses an alliteration so magic maze should be preferable, no?

Aeana

Oh cool, I'd like to check that out.

As for magic maze, sure I guess. I assumed people weren't really putting much thought into how they refer to things in English since I see stuff like "ruler stone" and "skult" which makes me cringe a bit.

extralite

The last DQ I played in English was VIII and that was years ago and I didn't finish it. So I don't know most of the official translations yet (but I do look stuff up once in a while for my tumblr).

Is there a suitable translation for ruler stone already? In Japanese the homonymity of stone and will/resolution is played on (possibly) but that will be lost either way.

Gloam

The last DQ I played in English was VIII and that was years ago and I didn't finish it. So I don't know most of the official translations yet (but I do look stuff up once in a while for my tumblr).

Is there a suitable translation for ruler stone already? In Japanese the homonymity of stone and will/resolution is played on (possibly) but that will be lost either way.

'Zoom Stone' would fit with the English translations of the series. I think...

cube001

Do you have a team for GAF members? I would pretty much like to play with you guys as I'm really getting sick of being a lonewolf.

I'm just a beginner, I have a level 50 Battle Master and other jobs at level 30 or lower just to get the stats I needed for my BM.

extralite

John made a team he announced in this thread pretty early on. But he isn't very active anymore. There's also Dragon's Den.

I'm already in a Japanese team.

cube001

I know that there is a team search feature in the game, but I thought I should check here before trying that.

I'm OK with a Japanese team as I speak Japanese somewhat fluently, but I would rather stick to an easy going team that doesn't really care about efficiency that much, after all I'm just trying to enjoy the game.

extralite

This year's cross over event with FFXIV starts today. It will be about the same as last year according to the notification in the smartphone app which means give flowers of a certain color to a moogle, receive mandragora coins for the magic maze and get tickets for defeating mandragora which can be traded for FF related goods.
I got the FFXI and FFXIV events mixed up. Last year there also was an event with Shantotto who would give you mandragora coins for helping her chocobo regain its strength with gysahl greens.

The FFXIV one has the moogle and sabotender coins. What they added this year is a NPC who gives you a flower of a random color each day, not necessarily the one the moogle asks for. But if you can trade your flower with another player you don't have to grow them yourself or buy them at the bazaar in that case.

Shouta

'Zoom Stone' would fit with the English translations of the series. I think...

Yeah. Zoom Stone is the most appropriate translation for it. Ru-ra probably only coincidentally sounds like ruler which is why folks think it is. It makes sense as a ruler connects two points together. It would be interesting to see if they've ever officially commented on the name origins though.

Considering that in DQ1 it was used to return to ラダトーム城, it probably originates from that game. Using the kanji 流 or 路 which both have the pronunciation "Ru" it probably is meant to mean "Drift/Flow to Radato-mu Castle" or "Path to Radato-mu Castle" That sounds more likely over ruler.

Aeana

Well, I decided to actually look it up and I'll admit defeat on this one. The spells actually have some more in depth descriptions in some books, and I came across this one for ruura.

二つの点は一つの点に。星幽界の守護者よ、我をかの場所へと導き給え。

Which means it probably is ruler. As silly as that sounds. In English they've established zoom, though.

Top Bottom