• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

Shouta

Which book is that from? If it's after than DQ1, then there's a chance it could be a description that was added on after it was created as ruler became more prominent as a connection.

extralite

Version 2.3 trailer is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar_udj99q9I

Also a list of new features from the DQX TV netcast which aired today:

http://hiroba.dqx.jp/sc/topics/detail/eaae339c4d89fc102edd9dbdb6a28915/

Best new features (imo):
- Job seals can now be combined into one, taking up less space in your inventory (as can umbrellas).
- Random hunt quests are added for Rendacia (much higher rewards, only for exp or training stamps (no gold), only once per week, cannot be shared with other party members, i.e. also not be sold)

Aeana

Which book is that from? If it's after than DQ1, then there's a chance it could be a description that was added on after it was created as ruler became more prominent as a connection.

It's from the original DQ2 guide.

Version 2.3 trailer is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar_udj99q9I

Also a list of new features from the DQX TV netcast which aired today:

http://hiroba.dqx.jp/sc/topics/detail/eaae339c4d89fc102edd9dbdb6a28915/

Best new features (imo):
- Job seals can now be combined into one, taking up less space in your inventory (as can unbrellas).
- Random hunt quests are added for Rendacia (much higher rewards, only for exp or traing stamps, only once per week, cannot be shared with other party members, i.e. also not be sold)

Ohhh the DQTV thing aired while I was asleep. I set up a timeshift, gonna have to watch it when I get home.

Shouta

Damn this game looks so good, the other thread died so I'll ask here, is there a way to use a foreign CC, if so, any guides for setting up a JP SE account?, thanks.

Dunno if they accept foreign CC now but you can buy webmoney that buys you Crysta you can use for the game.

JP SE account should be pretty similar to a regular SE account, just gotta do it from a JP site, I think. I'd have to check again, lol.

Reknoc

Yea, you have to do it from the JP site, its fairly straightforward with the only road block being needing a post code and I guess name? Once you have a post code though it fills out the rest of the required address stuff for you.

Aeana

Damn this game looks so good, the other thread died so I'll ask here, is there a way to use a foreign CC, if so, any guides for setting up a JP SE account?, thanks.
I answered you there, I thought!

They accept some foreign credit cards but there doesn't seem to be a rhyhme or reason to it. They don't accept mine, or the majority of people's, but it's worked for some. The best way to do it is to get Webmoney from somewhere like Play-Asia and use that to purchase Crysta which you can use to pay your sub. P-A e-mails codes for those cards, so it should be pretty quick. If you know someone in Japan, they can get them from any convenience store. They can also get DQ10 time cards.

Kandinsky

Dunno if they accept foreign CC now but you can buy webmoney that buys you Crysta you can use for the game.

JP SE account should be pretty similar to a regular SE account, just gotta do it from a JP site, I think. I'd have to check again, lol.

Yea, you have to do it from the JP site, its fairly straightforward with the only road block being needing a post code and I guess name? Once you have a post code though it fills out the rest of the required address stuff for you.

I answered you there, I thought!

They accept some foreign credit cards but there doesn't seem to be a rhyhme or reason to it. They don't accept mine, or the majority of people's, but it's worked for some. The best way to do it is to get Webmoney from somewhere like Play-Asia and use that to purchase Crysta which you can use to pay your sub. P-A e-mails codes for those cards, so it should be pretty quick. If you know someone in Japan, they can get them from any convenience store. They can also get DQ10 time cards.

Thank you all, what about the game itself, can I buy that from within the SE account page?

Edit: Wait the IP lock is back?.

Aeana

Thank you all, what about the game itself, can I buy that from within the SE account page?

Edit: Wait the IP lock is back?.
Yep, sadly.
There are several free ways around the IP lock, though. The Amazon Web Services method that's popularized by PSO2 players seems the best free route at the moment.

Aeana

I can't believe how stupid the thief key quest is. I've put it off for a long time, but now I'm trying to do it and it is super, super stupid.

I am typing this as I wait for a どくろあらい to curse me for the fourth time because the last 3 times ended with me either accidentally getting cured of curse, or a party member getting the killing blow on the crystal hands instead of me. This time I will hopefully get it by adjusting my AI settings just so at the right time, if the stupid thing will ever curse me again.

EDIT: OMG why does "leave it to me" make them cure curse too!?!? I'm so tired of this.
EDIT2: Finally got it barely by chance. What a stupid quest.

extralite

It's really easy if you do it with friends or have supports without the ability to cure curses (would be tamed monsters as practically everyone has learned it, lol). The crystal hands curse you btw, no need to go to the kangaroos for it.

The worst quest to do, even with human help, is the superstar quest.

Edit: You will love the second thief key quest. ;)

Aeana

Got the silver and gold key emblems today.
The boss fight at the end of the dwarf storyline was insanely difficult, wow. I definitely wouldn't have been able to do that without two priests, and I wonder if it would've been possible with a full AI group of level 50s. I had two level 80s, and two level 50s (including me). That was crazy.

Sinople

Got the silver and gold key emblems today.
The boss fight at the end of the dwarf storyline was insanely difficult, wow. I definitely wouldn't have been able to do that without two priests, and I wonder if it would've been possible with a full AI group of level 50s. I had two level 80s, and two level 50s (including me). That was crazy.

I did it on my 2nd try. The thing is he becomes overpowered once you break his wings.

Aeana

Well, I imagine that people had filled up with more passives than I have either way. I'm really underpowered because I've been kinda rushing through 1.0 stuff. But once I finish the 1.0 story I intend to build up some passives before moving on.

My impression of the game's soloability was kinda soured way back at Wii launch when I was unable to beat Pusgon with AI members no matter how many times I tried because of those stupid bombs. I think that was probably one of the main reasons why I opted not to subscribe at the end of the free period, because even though I did know people playing the game, I was the only one not in Europe or Japan so after my vacation was over I'd be at the mercy of AI most of the time.

Sinople

I'm glad I've waited to start the game for this reason. I play as if it's an offline game, meaning I only recruit support characters. Now it's easy to find people with 4 or 5 pages of passive skills but I imagine the game was way harder a couple of years ago.

The problem, though, is that I felt really weak for a long time, being the one doing almost nothing during battle (less than half the damage of everyone else, no HP despite being the tank...). I finally decided to work on my passives by the time I hit the last dungeon of v.1 but it took waaay longer than I planned to gain decent stats and it kind of killed my motivation to play more.

extralite

Well, I imagine that people had filled up with more passives than I have either way. I'm really underpowered because I've been kinda rushing through 1.0 stuff. But once I finish the 1.0 story I intend to build up some passives before moving on.

My impression of the game's soloability was kinda soured way back at Wii launch when I was unable to beat Pusgon with AI members no matter how many times I tried because of those stupid bombs. I think that was probably one of the main reasons why I opted not to subscribe at the end of the free period, because even though I did know people playing the game, I was the only one not in Europe or Japan so after my vacation was over I'd be at the mercy of AI most of the time.

Because AI characters don't avoid bombs and trap floors you need to take these kind of bosses on with a much higher level than the others (and/or bring more priests). But since you can do the key emblems in any order you could just have saved Pussgon for last.

The thief key quest you complained about yesterday isn't actually that hard even alone. I cleared it very recently with Sorina. My only other party member was a heal slime (heals HP but not curse). Back when the game came out you could have hired a support that hadn't learned the curse cure おはらい.

Tenma should be doable with a level 50 near full passive party.

Soloing requires more grinding, period. Back when the game came out it required a lot of grinding regardless though, lol.

I'm glad I've waited to start the game for this reason. I play as if it's an offline game, meaning I only recruit support characters. Now it's easy to find people with 4 or 5 pages of passive skills but I imagine the game was way harder a couple of years ago.
You had to look a bit longer but there were usually enough supports with high passives to choose from.

Aeana

Because AI characters don't avoid bombs and trap floors you need to take these kind of bosses on with a much higher level than the others (and/or bring more priests). But since you can do the key emblems in any order you could just have saved Pussgon for last.

The thief key quest you complained about yesterday isn't actually that hard even alone. I cleared it very recently with Sorina. My only other party member was a heal slime (heals HP but not curse). Back when the game came out you could have hired a support that hadn't learned the curse cure おはらい.

Tenma should be doable with a level 50 near full passive party.

Soloing requires more grinding, period. Back when the game came out it required a lot of grinding regardless though, lol.

You had to look a bit longer but there were usually enough supports with high passives to choose from.
I was an elf, so Pusgon was in my territory. I didn't really know about doing other stories in other areas at the time.

As for the thief key, I'm a priest with a stick that does 30 damage if I'm lucky, and those crystal hands could kill me in 3 attacks, so yeah it's not easy without making major changes. I'm glad you were able to do it easily. You have a lot more experience with the game in general. I dunno why you're always talking down to me.

extralite

Sorry, I didn't mean to talk down to you. I was just stating facts.

But I think it is a bit rash to question the game's soloability based on your experience that you couldn't beat a boss instantly. It is an RPG, these games make you grind, or require strategy, or both. I had much worse experiences with previous DQs where grinding seemed to be the only answer. At least in X strategy plays an important role as well.

If you're annoyed by having to try things out to find a strategy or taking time to level, I'm surprised how you can even enjoy the genre. In some of your posts you seem much too impatient to enjoy it.

And since you're required to obtain passives for some advanced parts of the game you will become competent at several jobs. If you can't clear something now, do something different instead.

Edit: And to anyone who wants to solo the game, you should acquire and level the tamer jobs as soon as you can. These were really added for solo play. Tamed monsters provide one AI character at a time you get a lot of control over.

extralite

Really? Well I guess some (a lot of?) players don't mind grinding as much as me!
There were always some who maxed out levels in a matter of days. It became harder as more and more jobs were introduced. As of the current status, quoting my census summary from earlier:

Rate of player characters who maxed out the level for all 14 jobs

12.9%

[Comment: The level cap is currently 80.]

Rate of player characters who maxed out intense training stamps for all 14 jobs

0.74%

[Comment: You can currently collect 3500 stamps per job for up to 9 bonus skill points.]
The article was a bit unclear for this part but this could be out of all registered players but more likely out of the ones who logged in during the 30 days time span they were looking at.

Of course grinding is the one thing that always involved strategy. What resources to use (grinding costs money) and what enemy to grind with.

Aeana

Sorry, I didn't mean to talk down to you. I was just stating facts.

But I think it is a bit rash to question the game's soloability based on your experience that you couldn't beat a boss instantly. It is an RPG, these games make you grind, or require strategy, or both. I had much worse experiences with previous DQs where grinding seemed to be the only answer. At least in X strategy plays an important role as well.

If you're annoyed by having to try things out to find a strategy or taking time to level, I'm surprised how you can even enjoy the genre. In some of your posts you seem much too impatient to enjoy it.

And since you're required to obtain passives for some advanced parts of the game you will become competent at several jobs. If you can't clear something now, do something different instead.

Edit: And to anyone who wants to solo the game, you should acquire and level the tamer jobs as soon as you can. These were really added for solo play. Tamed monsters provide one AI character at a time you get a lot of control over.

You've wholly misinterpreted all of my posts. You're reading things I'm saying as being "annoyed," when in most cases (thief key quest aside), I was simply commenting. Any annoyance is being read by you but not written by me. Me saying "that boss was crazy" doesn't mean "holy crap what a cheap garbage boss this game sucks." It means it was crazy. It means the fight was intense, and close. It says nothing about the quality of the fight or whether I feel it should have been easier or anything that you seem to have read from it. This doesn't even apply to my comments about the Pusgon boss. I had a lot of trouble with that boss, but my reactions to it do not come from me thinking it should be easier or that I shouldn't have had to try more than once to win.

I'm not impatient. I don't mind difficult battles where I have to strategize, in fact I prefer it. I spend a lot of time railing against people complaining that "RPGs require grinding," because they rarely do. It is almost always a strategic failing on that person's part. I'm all about figuring out how to use the tools available to me to get past challenges. I wasn't complaining about having to do that, not even remotely. That aspect of RPGs is the reason why I love them so much to begin with. It's incredibly insulting for you to suggest that I just want a free ride or I don't want to have to think when I'm playing an RPG. If you read any of my posts on this forum at all, you would realize how wrong you are about this.

My complaints about the thief key quest lie in the very design of the quest in light of the systems that surround it. The quest is designed such that a) you have to have the curse status effect on, b) the cursed member has to land the killing blow on the enemies. There is no AI setting that tells your AI members to stop acting entirely. Intuitively, "leave it to me" would be that option, but it turns out that AI members will still do things that don't involve attacking the enemy. If you happen to get an AI member cursed instead and try to get them to kill an enemy, they will inevitably cure curse from themselves, even on the "don't use MP" setting since apparently there's a skill that gets rid of curse for free and everybody has that as well. Obviously, with real people this becomes a non-issue. But this game does offer support AI as a fully-fledged system, so I would have hoped that it would be more straightforwardly solvable within the constraints of that system. A simple fix would've just been to implement an AI setting where the character does absolutely nothing.

I'm also really offended by your assertion that I was upset that I "couldn't beat a boss instantly." You have no idea how many times I tried it or what I tried. The fact is, and this is a fact, that AI members cannot deal with mechanics that require moving out of the way of stuff like with the bombs. I tried many different things to get around this mechanic, to no avail. That led me to deciding that it probably wasn't possible to do with AI members without vastly outleveling the boss. This isn't a problem with the game -- it's an MMO after all, playing with other players should be expected -- but the fact that I am in the United States and almost everybody I know who was playing the game at the time was in Japan, with a couple in Europe meant that my ability to progress by playing with friends was also stunted significantly due to differences in timezones. I had other reasons for not subscribing to the game (you'll note I said "one of the reasons" in my post), but it was a major contributing factor. Your perpetual suggestion of trying another boss is irrelevant, because I would have inevitably run into the same problem later in a situation where I couldn't overpower the boss. And frankly, I find overpowering enemies to be boring anyway. The actual solution is to find real people to play with. This time, I have fallen in with some people who play in my timezone, which makes things a little easier to coordinate. That doesn't mean I don't try things on my own, and I have been doing that primarily still, but it's very nice to be able to team up with actual people who are playing at the same time I am.

And really, if you'd like me to analyze your posts, I can certainly do the same. Your posts come off as if you feel you're above everyone else. You are extremely quick to point out how bad other people are and how they could be having better experiences if they weren't quite so bad. Patronizing at every turn. I don't post nearly as much in this thread as I'd like to, because I don't want to deal with the subsequent condescension that will inevitably follow. And considering how my comments have been greatly misunderstood on multiple occasions now, I also don't want to have to try make clarification posts like this one each time, either.

extralite

You used the word "stupid" to express your annoyance, in both cases of thief key and Pussgon ("because of that stupid bombs"). The word "crazy" to express how the battle was intense is nowhere to be found in that post, you only question the soloability. I am not misinterpreting you, I only limited myself to these posts where you indeed sound impatient.

Going by difficulty the key emblem with Pussgon is the 4th or 5th you should take on. If you can't beat a boss the normal reaction would be to try another region story line. And no, most bosses don't use bombs or stuff that will stump the AI (and you know that by now too). You will run into that very rarely and in either case the counter strategy should be to bring more priests because they have the best auto revive skills for themselves and others. You can use that to your advantage in battles with bombs. You playing a priest yourself is an advantage because you can prioritize using "protection of the holy woman" when an AI would fail to use it.

The thief key is one of the most useful items which you get very late so you have a reason to backtrack and collect all the black treasures you only saw but couldn't open before. That you expect to easily obtain it is strange and very impatient. You need some very good strategy or go back and improve your abilities, it is expected for a high level quest.

As for the AI options, they're legacy DQ options for the most part with slight adjustments. If you want more full control over what a support is doing, tamed monsters provide that since you can tell them exactly what abilities to use and which not.

"Leave it to me" is for stealing and for tasks where you have to defeat the enemy in a certain way, you still want to be healed usually. Oharai does cost 2 mp so no they won't heal themselves with "don't use mp". But they will attack and kill the enemy possibly which they shouldn't do, since you're the one who needs to do it. You won't clear it if a cursed AI kills the enemy.

Coming alone or with only supports that don't have (or can't use) oharai is your best bet. Have your attackers be 0 mp so they can't use oharai. Switch them between "leave it to me" and any attack option as necessary. Bring one or two low level priests as a fail save, turn them to "don't use MP". They will be too weak to defeat the crystal hand with their attacks but they can revive you if you're killed, just allow the supports to escape.

Equip a lance or other offense weapon. Kill all but one hand, make it orange (i.e. lower its HP to a minimum). Tell your attackers to leave it to you. If it calls for back up, kill backup. If you're low on HP, heal yourself. If the number of enemies gets too high, switch the AI to allow them to help you attack and to heal you.

Once there is only one hand and it is orange, wait to be cursed. Once you're cursed, deliver the killing blow.

It might take time but you have the means you need to do it alone.

Aeana

If I chose "leave it to me" while I was cursed, my other party member would take the curse from me and then heal it from themselves. I don't know what that ability is called, but they did it every single time.

And honestly, no, when I say something is stupid it just means I'm annoyed with it, This seems like a bit of a language barrier issue where the intent is being misinterpreted.

extralite

You used the word "stupid" to express your annoyance,

And honestly, no, when I say something is stupid it just means I'm annoyed with it, This seems like a bit of a language barrier issue where the intent is being misinterpreted.
We both see stupid as an expression of annoyance, how is there a language barrier? Because I also followed that that makes you seem impatient? Why else would you be annoyed than because you wanted to clear it more quickly?

If I chose "leave it to me" while I was cursed, my other party member would take the curse from me and then heal it from themselves. I don't know what that ability is called, but they did it every single time.
Of course, did you even read my post? "Leave it to me" means "don't attack the enemy", they will still heal you. If you don't want them to heal you, make sure they don't have any MP left. Or choose "don't use any MP" but they will still attack in that case. I explained in detail how you still could have cleared it methodically.

Btw, you wrote:

If you happen to get an AI member cursed instead and try to get them to kill an enemy, they will inevitably cure curse from themselves, even on the "don't use MP" setting since apparently there's a skill that gets rid of curse for free and everybody has that as well.

Aeana

The annoyance had nothing to do with not being able to clear it quickly, but rather at all despite trying a lot of different things. It is a mechanic that is not designed to be clearable with AI. You can overpower it, but I don't personally consider that a reasonable strategy, as I mentioned above. I eventually cleared it by asking some people for some help, and that was fine. It's not like I harbor continued disdain for the fight because I couldn't clear it within certain parameters. But it was a major inconvenience, and considering how long I spent on it (three days of going back in and trying various strategies, if you must know), I think I was entitled to be a little bit distressed. And again, if you're going to reply to this saying that I should have done a different storyline as you continually have, then don't bother, because I'll just say the same thing to you that I've been saying: I didn't know anything about that, and certainly had nobody telling me to do so. At any rate, it was two whole years ago, and I'm not willing to entertain your accusations of my incompetence and inferiority any longer.

extralite

I will let it go but one last thing:

At any rate, it was two whole years ago, and I'm not willing to entertain your accusations of my incompetence and inferiority any longer.
I was merely dicussing solo strategy and soloability. You on the other hand are really constantly accusing me of doing things I'm not actually doing. When I say you do something I provide evidence.

And really, I don't feel it's worth having these discussions either, considering you constantly try to bend things to suit your needs.

Gloam

Spent the guts of an hour there hacking away at Magic Hats to try and get the item master book. No luck, got a lot of magic waters though!

extralite

Reincarnated monsters are very rare. A few pointers how to facilitate meeting them and seizing the chance when you do:

The tool wielder has two encounter boosters for meeting them, their job seal (which you can get from their last job quest at level 50) and their 120 point skill. The player touching the monster to initiate an encounter should be the tool wielder with the seal equipped (I'm not sure if it'd be enough to have one in the party simply but according to our team's reincarnation monster expert that is the recommended way of doing it).

There is also the miracle perfume (きせきの香水), available as a prize in the casino and from the special lottery, which can further boost encounter chances. Again, apparently the one running into the monsters should be the one using it, in other words again the tool wielder.

Once you meet them, you better steal with a thief that has high deftness. You can use deftness meat manju (きようさのにくまん) to increase that stat for around 30 minutes. You can feed it to other party members and I think also to supports. Rare drop chances are much higher with reincarnation monsters than with normal encounter ones but it still isn't guaranteed to drop it.

Edit: Replace tool wielder with monster tamer in all of the above. Sorry. Monster tamer has boosts for reincarnation encounters, tool wielder for metal encounters.

Gloam

Gave up whacking the piggies and bought the book in the bazaar instead. Now to grab me a Magic Hat o' my very own!

extralite

That is the better approach I think. If you ever get the book later yourself, by chance or by means of perfumes you can sell it and make some of that money back.

extralite

Yes. The other color swaps are beasts which can't be scouted by the tool wielder. The Magical Hat really is the hat itself, the pig is controlled by it.

Gloam

Yes. The other color swaps are beasts which can't be scouted by the tool wielder. The Magical Hat really is the hat itself, the pig is controlled by it.

Wow! I did not know that. Feel bad for the pigs. I was making pork hocks outta them all morning.

extralite

The new version of the The Convenient On the Go Tool for DQX is now available for 3DS:

tumblr_nbc5cbTB0o1scksbco1_250.jpg

This will eventually add all the features of the much better smart phone version. Some of the premium (payable) features are already there.

Aeana

Walking out onto Koniwear Plain and hearing the DQ7 overworld music... just a wonderful thing. I shrieked 'omg'

extralite

I liked that too. DQVII is one of the few DQs I played and completed so I felt actually nostalgic for it. And it is just a great piece.

Gloam

It's definitely one of the best themes in the series. I was sore at the lack of original music when the game released, but this 'best of' approach to the soundtrack can sometimes prove very affecting.

Shouta

Finished 1.0 last night. That was pretty good. Honestly, 1.0 is like a single player DQ when played with AI partners which is kind of cool actually. Now the struggle to earn more money and get to 2.0 content comes. =o

Aeana

I was looking at some of the 1.1+ content they added. Does some of it actually require 8 people? I see a lot of mentions of that.

extralite

Yes, that is the long quest series that finishes off version 1. You probably have been to Falling Leaves in Eltona. The cut scene with the one looking like Estark, that is the King of Calamity. You'll fight him with 2 parties at once and get a 故郷の石 for it.

Aeana

Hmm. Is there any matching system involved, or does it expect you to form two parties ahead of time and then start the event?

extralite

You can do both. Since it is one if the most challenging battles in the game (not anymore at level 80 but it was when it was introduced) it is better to plan both parties with one group.

The match up mode pairs two parties, not single players into party members. If both parties bring the right jobs a random match up can still defeat him. At high levels you can even win with supports but it was definitely not soloable originally.

Aeana

I see, so either way I'll need to form a single party at least. Hopefully I can get enough people interested. Well, Shouta should be once we both reach it at least.

extralite

This was supposed to be a limited time quest and they wanted to do more alliance party dungeons and battles later but since many players took so long to beat it (and I guess to give new players a chance to experience the story) they decided to leave it in for now. I hope there will still be more alliance bosses later.

Aeana

Finally bought a house. I spent a while waffling on which house I wanted to get, but it seems like the small tower is the best bang for your buck in the S size arena. The treehouse costing 30k but only having a tiny little room is kinda weird when the small tower costs 30k too but gives you two levels. I have to admit that the sakura version of the treehouse is mega cute, though.

Aeana

Hm, so lacking story quests to boost my exp, I find myself wondering what some good leveling methods are. I haven't had to look into this too deeply until now, but now that I'm trying to level stuff up for passives and whatnot, I'm not sure what would be the best use of my time.

Cool, I haven't seen the inside of a tower yet. Which tribe region did you choose?

I'm in the majestic woodland path district of Azlan.

Top Bottom