• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

hank_tree

Anyone here in UK/Ireland that ordered this from VGP? Had it preordered and it shipped a couple of weeks ago but it hasn't turned up yet.

Just check the endurance at the start of each run. With two bags you can easily do 5-7 dungeons without worrying about breaking stuff. You could probably do 10 before really having to go back.

Also, a 3rd bag is only 2000 gold...
But there's no way to check durability once you're in the questing proper or between one quest and the next? No option in between adventures? You just play it by gut? Just want to be sure I'm not missing something.

Also, had no idea new bags were so cheap. Will definitely pick another one up.

But there's no way to check durability once you're in the questing proper or between one quest and the next? No option in between adventures? You just play it by gut? Just want to be sure I'm not missing something.

Also, had no idea new bags were so cheap. Will definitely pick another one up.

You can always check your durability in the middle of a dungeon. Just scroll through your equipped gear with the d-pad or analog stick (whatever you use for items).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I kinda wish there was a way to quickly get rid of the submenu in dungeons. When I'm doing hotkey spells, it sometimes blocks my MP, so I don't know how much I have... and it stays up for an unnecessary amount of time.

Caerith

I saw your thread on the Atlus forums about design/hacking issues, Caerith. I hope some Top Men read through your post, they're solid concerns.
Thanks, Drago. It's been a few days and I haven't seen a red response to that thread, so I don't know. I know it'd take some time to address, since they'd have to patch it in the JP version and in the US version, but I'm not even sure if this is the best way to communicate these issues with Atlus.

Thanks, there's no way I could have ever understood what he was saying on that one, being Spanish. In fact, I didn't even know what the hell "lucre" was until now, had to Google it. :D
I don't speak a word of Spanish but I know lucre. It shares roots with "lucrative."

"Filthy lucre" has been in use in the English language for centuries, mostly by rogues and ruffians but in the last century it's been used by and about capitalists. The phrase persists not because of any Spanish meaning but because lucre is a Latin word and "filthy lucre" itself is right out of the King James version of the Bible. That's not to say that rogues, ruffians, and capitalists are religious-- the former, at least, enjoy a sense of style and irony.

Don't get me wrong - I really, really dig Muramasa - but I think this has the best gameplay of a Vanillaware game by far (Disclaimer: I have not played Grim Grimoire or Grand Knights' History). If you want story though, it's hard to beat Odin Sphere.
You really should play Grim Grimoire if you want story. IMO, it beats Odin Sphere (but Odin Sphere is a close second). (Disclaimer: I haven't played Muramasa or GKH.)

HAHA yes! My first platinum! I've had the ps3 since MGS4 was launched and this is the first game where I actually have platinum!
Congrats on the plat! Which class did you take to 99?

suikodan

Just unlocked multiplayer mode and played a mission to get my first talisman.

Wow I cannot believe how fun it was. I didn't expect MP to be this entertaining!

Will definitely try again :D

Deitus

I don't speak a word of Spanish but I know lucre. It shares roots with "lucrative."

"Filthy lucre" has been in use in the English language for centuries, mostly by rogues and ruffians but in the last century it's been used by and about capitalists. The phrase persists not because of any Spanish meaning but because lucre is a Latin word and "filthy lucre" itself is right out of the King James version of the Bible. That's not to say that rogues, ruffians, and capitalists are religious-- the former, at least, enjoy a sense of style and irony.

Actually, Welltall wasn't talking about the word being Spanish, he was saying he is Spanish. Being that English is not his first language, it's understandable that he wouldn't be familiar with obscure words that are largely disused in modern English.

Still, I love when Rannie says "filthy lucre". It fits well with the character and the setting, and he just sounds so excited as he exclaims it. It's one of the few times where a character will continue to say the same thing repeatedly and I still smile every time.

picking the sorceress has completely ruined my enjoyment of this game. I'm thinking about completely scratching her so as not to be enticed by the higher level and just taking a mulligan

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
picking the sorceress has completely ruined my enjoyment of this game. I'm thinking about completely scratching her so as not to be enticed by the higher level and just taking a mulligan

You may as well play as them all at some point. Leveling comes pretty quickly. I had no issues staring Sorceress, personally.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
You really should play Grim Grimoire if you want story. IMO, it beats Odin Sphere (but Odin Sphere is a close second). (Disclaimer: I haven't played Muramasa or GKH.)

Hmm...might try out both on PSN soon. I just wrapped up Muramasa on Vita, working on the post-game challenges for 100%, but the two stories are decent. Nothing groundbreaking, though the male side had a more bittersweet ending than the female story. I have yet to see the true ending though as it requires earning all 108 swords through post game challenges(currently at 90-ish).

Really intrigued by Odin Sphere though. The idea of witnessing an overall arc from different perspectives is intriguing.

Het_Nkik

Any word on when we can expect the patch in NA? I tried playing the game with a friend last night but he has the Japanese version so things didn't quite work out...

Okay, some quick questions:

I just got to the online portion of the game, getting the 9 relics or whatever. First off, how do you actually get the relics? Just go through the B path? Because I did that for one of them and didn't get anything...

Also, it looks like now the lowest level dungeons are 17. If I wanted to try out a new class, is there a way to do lower level dungeons anymore, or do I have to try and grind high level stages?

Ultimadrago

Okay, some quick questions:

I just got to the online portion of the game, getting the 9 relics or whatever. First off, how do you actually get the relics? Just go through the B path? Because I did that for one of them and didn't get anything...

Also, it looks like now the lowest level dungeons are 17. If I wanted to try out a new class, is there a way to do lower level dungeons anymore, or do I have to try and grind high level stages?

1. You must defeat the B-route boss within the time limit to gain a talisman (you'll know if you ran out of time if an event out of your control halts/turns the tide of the battle). If you did and didn't get anything then there's an issue.

2. Yes, you can choose Route A and any quests revolving around it again with a new character if you like. There's also the option of giving your lower level character higher-level AI partners resurrected from your current character to help catch them up even quicker.

yeah, it's B path but you can actually fail them. do you remember which stage or what boss it was?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
1. You must defeat the B-route boss within the time limit to gain a talisman (you'll know if you ran out of time if an event out of your control halts/turns the tide of the battle). If you did and didn't get anything then there's an issue.

Also, the stage completion screen shows an open door and says something like "you escaped" rather than a mound of treasure.

yeah, it's B path but you can actually fail them. do you remember which stage or what boss it was?

Yeah it was the big iron gate boss, and yeah looks like we ran out of time because some big attack happened that killed it instantly after a while.

So the A routes stay at lvl 17 then once you get to the online portion? And you have to just deal with your new character being lvl 1

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So the A routes stay at lvl 17 then once you get to the online portion? And you have to just deal with your new character being lvl 1

The game reverts back to pre-talisman mode when starting a new character, meaning that you'll be going through the entire tutorial of joining the guild again. Everything will be appropriately leveled.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So after beating the game with one character, I could just switch to another character and replay all the stages?

Every character has separate progression. You have to do the story mode for each one. The only thing you skip is the tutorial, and money/inventory/bots carries over.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Finally did my first hard mode chain run last night with a friend, gained 12 levels in one go almost ready to get the talisman on hard now :D

LuchaShaq

Banned
About level 6 with the fighter and not really digging their combat style or their skill tree since 99% of my vita game time is in tiny 5-10 min chunks (aka offline).

Any suggestions on which class would be most condusive to soloing? I picked the fighter just because *puts on flame shield* one of the only designs I like.

Googling has led me to believe the amazon is the best and the worst solo class? Figured I'd ask gaf since everywhere else is giving me opposite answers.

Sanctuary

Just did some testing with my level 29 and 75 Wizards to see what the fuck INT actually contributed. It appears that 1 INT = 1% damage (more or less as some attacks gained 1.1%, while others gained only 0.9%). So once you see items with 10+ INT on them, they actually start becoming useful compared to the +%element and +%raw damage that drops more frequently and with higher percentages earlier on. For specialized sets (all one element, including your attack skills), INT still isn't really a factor until you hit 15+ in most cases since +15% element is relatively common later on.

I'm assuming this works similarly for all classes.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
About level 6 with the fighter and not really digging their combat style or their skill tree since 99% of my vita game time is in tiny 5-10 min chunks (aka offline).

Any suggestions on which class would be most condusive to soloing? I picked the fighter just because *puts on flame shield* one of the only designs I like.

Googling has led me to believe the amazon is the best and the worst solo class? Figured I'd ask gaf since everywhere else is giving me opposite answers.

Amazon is the second best, or just straight up best, damage dealer in the game depending on the fight. Fighter is great as well I have a level 45 one now and I get through stuff no problem due to passive 50% blocking, 100% damage boost, and strong air game.

Amazon is a lot faster once she gets her points built up, she starts slow though same for elf

I would honestly say both the dwarf and fighter are better solo characters til end game

doomquake

just paid 17k to resurrect on a some
mega demon and the divine light appeared and he died without my input
. does being dead when a boss is killed matter?

zroid

Banned
potentially dumb question:

is it possible to play locally with characters from separate save files? eg: I play with my own character and my friend plays with his?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
just paid 17k to resurrect on a some
mega demon and the divine light appeared and he died without my input
. does being dead when a boss is killed matter?

It doesn't matter but
when that happens it means you took to long and you dont get the talisman

Can the
Killer Rabbit's instakill attack be blocked? I've only tried the fight once so far but I ran out of time due because I was either trying to evade the instakill or that whirlwind attack. If it matters, I'm playing solo as Amazon.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Can the
Killer Rabbit's instakill attack be blocked? I've only tried the fight once so far but I ran out of time due because I was either trying to evade the instakill or that whirlwind attack. If it matters, I'm playing solo as Amazon.
Not sure if it can be blocked but it's not insta-kill, just very high damage.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I have a few n00b questions:

- I am playing as the elf, and I noticed some of her skills involve dagger stuff, such as "Backstabs". For this skill to work, do I need to pick up a dagger in the level, or does it refer to her standard melee attack?

- Is there any worth to increasing your max HP in the common skill? The HP gains seem to be really low... I haven't bothered with that yet.

- In couch coop mode, is loot based on P1 mostly? 'Cause I get tons of elf equipment after quests, but very little fighter loot (P2, my boyfriend, who mains a fighter). I think he got a total of 2 new swords since we started (while I must've had like 15 bows), though he does get a few bracers and belts. Weird. On the Atlus forum someone said the loot was based on P1 and they had to swap every now and then to stay geared up, but Caerith's experience has been different. Anyone else noticed anything like that?

- How do lives work? I died stupidly once, like 5 seconds before the boss died, and I revived automatically. On my next quest will I have one life less, or do I get "restocked", or what? I'm still confused as to how potion restocks really work too... Like if it says "restock amount: 15", does that mean you have 15 units of that potion for the rest of the game?

Thanks!

Friend bought this and we played during the weekend. Beat the game on the first two difficulty level on couch coop. Outside of looking really great we felt very disappointed by it. It's a vanillaware game alright. Very few levels and bosses that you have to replay ad nauseam.

Couch coop is poorly coded. Only the player 1 will keep story progression, as such we had to beat the game twice to unlock the hard difficulty for both characters but to also have bags and runes for the second player. It's pathetic since we played the full game together in the first place. I guess this might be the result of the PS3 not supporting multiple account login at the same time or simply laziness.
Actually the PS3 does support it, it's just that most devs don't bother for some reason. -_- Some games do have it, such as Little Big Planet 2 and Uncharted 3. I have no idea why it's not used more, honestly.

But I agree about the couch coop being bad. I was very excited in having a new couch coop game and it looked so awesome, but while I'm still very early in the game (I'm at the pirate cove mission) I'm rather disappointed in it, at least insofar as coop works.

Now if we want to beat the game on the last difficulty level we need to beat again the game with the second character on hard so that he will be able to gain exp too. We don't really feel like doing it again. I doubt it's worth it either. Replaying the same nine level again with the same bosses doesn't feel exciting to us.

The quests are really repetitive and dumb. Most of them involve doing the same levels again and again but to open a door or click something in the background or defeat a boss with only one player or under a time limit. You did it before but didn't had to quest or had it activated? Too bad you need to play the same level again.

I can't really say the skills are really varied and that you can make super varied build. We were at the level cap on hard with tons of quests done and I can't really think of why we should use the ambrosia to respec. There aren't that much skills in the first place.

It feels like a bloated version of D&D Shadow over Mystara. I mean some of the bosses are the same and have similar abilities and attacks. Take Shadow of Mystara but add a loot system, a true weapon/item durability and force people to play the game ad nauseam to beat it and you have Dragon's Crown.
That's disappointing to hear. I hope this repetitiveness and lack of varied locales won't bother me as much... but one thing I do feel is that the game is probably not arcade-y enough, which seems to be a strange thing to say I know, but... I do like the inclusion of RPG elements and the loot, but the levels are very short, so I feel I spend more time at the town and/or in menus than crawling through dungeons smashing shit up. I've read from this thread that you can later chain dungeon crawls (but you need more bags otherwise your gear will break), which sounds more exciting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have a few n00b questions:

- I am playing as the elf, and I noticed some of her skills involve dagger stuff, such as "Backstabs". For this skill to work, do I need to pick up a dagger in the level, or does it refer to her standard melee attack?

- Is there any worth to increasing your max HP in the common skill? The HP gains seem to be really low... I haven't bothered with that yet.

- How do lives work? I died stupidly once, like 5 seconds before the boss died, and I revived automatically. On my next quest will I have one life less, or do I get "restocked", or what? I'm still confused as to how potion restocks really work too... Like if it says "restock amount: 15", does that mean you have 15 units of that potion for the rest of the game?

Thanks!

You need a dagger for backstab to work. It's why she has the holdout dagger skill. Also, maintenance is a must if you want to use those skills.

HP on an elf depends in your ability to use her well. She can't take much damage, but she is fast and is good at escaping. Not quite glass cannon, but she isn't a tank either. Obviously you should probably prioritize her class skills first (or other skills such as coins to health if you are worried about that).

You start each run with 2 lives unless you pray for more. Every time someone in the party "extends", you get an extra life. That happens either when you activate a specific rune (Pheonix Incantation) or you hit a score target.

The potion stock shows you how many total uses of the potion you have before you have to buy a new one. So your potion might have 5 uses per dungeon run and 20 in stock. What that means is that you can only use it 5 times in the dungeon before it runs out and you can't use it anymore, but when you leave the dungeon you will restock from your 20 and have another 5 for your next run.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, I do find the pacing a bit off myself. I've only just unlocked online for my Elf, so I haven't really gotten a feel for that side of the game.

But the several hours I played leading up to Talisman Hunting had a lot of highlights, but a lot of severe downtime. I do find levels go way too quickly(they are usually double in length in later stages, but still too short). Too often I rip through foes and then spend way too much time clicking about rune combos and digging up shining points. The moments of actual action and fighting feels like such a footnote in comparison to the downtime of town management and the screen scrubbing.

Hard for me to just ignore that stuff too. I do like the game, but my enjoyment is wearing thin as I keep thinking more about the ancillary crap to contend with each time I load it up now.

Cryst

Any tips for Ancient Dragon on Hard?

Running as a lv64 Elf, brought 3 AI of various compositions, gave it 3 shots, and barely made it to 25% on my best attempt. At that point, there's no more cover, and a mistimed evade chain means I eat it.

It definitely feels like the Elf quickly runs out of steam the longer a fight drags on. The game becomes "dodge this, collect more arrows, oh I'm out again, and look, a bundle of arrows has dropped in the worst place possible". Perhaps I'm just approaching the class wrong.

Running as a lv64 Elf, brought 3 AI of various compositions, gave it 3 shots, and barely made it to 25% on my best attempt. At that point, there's no more cover, and a mistimed evade chain means I eat it.
My only suggestion to preserve cover is to deflect the orb lights back at him instead of letting them hit the walls. Also, most of his damage is ground based (breath, tornados, etc). Can you perch on the walls and shoot?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Two extra lives, yes. 3 lives per level (base).
Ah yes, 2 extra lives. lol

It definitely feels like the Elf quickly runs out of steam the longer a fight drags on. The game becomes "dodge this, collect more arrows, oh I'm out again, and look, a bundle of arrows has dropped in the worst place possible". Perhaps I'm just approaching the class wrong.
You have to kick back the green orb thingies in order to protect your walls. That said, I was able to beat the dragon before that phase happened on both Normal and Hard (for the trophies), so it's doable with the right AI distractions.

I'll be honest that I have no idea if Salamander arrows do less damage on him though, because of course they are resistant to fire. But on the flip side, just equip dragon killing gear, pop a strength potion and rain arrows on him while your party deals with the skeletons that appear.

I need help power leveling a wizard. Apparently he is the only class that can do a 100k damage in 1 shot.
If you do the labyrinth, you can get the trophy that way. It's still based on luck because you need the door boss to show up, but it's guaranteed on level 8 and above. Might be faster than getting a high level Wizard anyway... unless you are going for a plat and need to get one anyway.

I beat the ancient dragon on hard with my lvl53 elf. Just stand under him and do crouch charged shots. You get new arrows when you're charged. Pretty easy actually.

Got my amazon with lvl25 in hard. Started a Fighter.

Raxus

If you do the labyrinth, you can get the trophy that way. It's still based on luck because you need the door boss to show up, but it's guaranteed on level 8 and above. Might be faster than getting a high level Wizard anyway... unless you are going for a plat and need to get one anyway.

Cool. This helps a ton. Beating the game with all the characters isn't a big deal. Leveling them on harder difficulties with AI is.

I was doing Labyrinth a couple days ago but I hadn't beat infernal yet so it stopped me at floor 6.

Sucks, my team was amazing.

Top Bottom