• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Sanctuary

Don't forget that you also gain an extra life for the first 30k score. I actually forgot if you get them after that, or if it's just the "extended" mode.

Raxus

I beat the ancient dragon on hard with my lvl53 elf. Just stand under him and do crouch charged shots. You get new arrows when you're charged. Pretty easy actually.

Got my amazon with lvl25 in hard. Started a Fighter.

53? Did you use AI partners? I was 64 (I did all the quests) when I beat hard mode.

Clone strike your way to victory!

Caerith

When you're playing online and in ad-hoc (on Vita), how is loot divided up? If you play through a level and ignore all the chests and only get one S-rank drop from the boss, then do all 4 players get a piece of S-rank loot?

- In couch coop mode, is loot based on P1 mostly? 'Cause I get tons of elf equipment after quests, but very little fighter loot (P2, my boyfriend, who mains a fighter). I think he got a total of 2 new swords since we started (while I must've had like 15 bows), though he does get a few bracers and belts. Weird. On the Atlus forum someone said the loot was based on P1 and they had to swap every now and then to stay geared up, but Caerith's experience has been different. Anyone else noticed anything like that?

Weird. My girlfriend is P2 (Amazon) and we get more axes than we do wands (for my P1 Sorc). Maybe the game is sexist and gives more weapons for female players.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
When you're playing online and in ad-hoc (on Vita), how is loot divided up? If you play through a level and ignore all the chests and only get one S-rank drop from the boss, then do all 4 players get a piece of S-rank loot?

Weird. My girlfriend is P2 (Amazon) and we get more axes than we do wands (for my P1 Sorc). Maybe the game is sexist and gives more weapons for female players.
lol! Yeah that must be it. XD Yeah I saw your post, I was wondering what everyone else's experience was like. But apparently few people are couch cooping this? Weird...

augmental

Yea, I do find the pacing a bit off myself. I've only just unlocked online for my Elf, so I haven't really gotten a feel for that side of the game.

But the several hours I played leading up to Talisman Hunting had a lot of highlights, but a lot of severe downtime. I do find levels go way too quickly(they are usually double in length in later stages, but still too short). Too often I rip through foes and then spend way too much time clicking about rune combos and digging up shining points. The moments of actual action and fighting feels like such a footnote in comparison to the downtime of town management and the screen scrubbing.

Hard for me to just ignore that stuff too. I do like the game, but my enjoyment is wearing thin as I keep thinking more about the ancillary crap to contend with each time I load it up now.

They need to have something that you can buy or earn that allows you to automatically pull all the goodies from these 'shining points', IMO.

JokerAceX

so a quick question for anyone who has completely beat all 3 difficulties how many sub quest are there in total.....actually didn't expect the game to throw 12 more at me the moment i jump into hard mode T-T.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
so a quick question for anyone who has completely beat all 3 difficulties how many sub quest are there in total.....actually didn't expect the game to throw 12 more at me the moment i jump into hard mode T-T.
There are 50 sidequests. The final ones are to
beat the route B bosses solo.

Man this game is straight beautifull ..

I haven't played much but it's so damn satisfying ... ( i need to visit the pirate cove , now )

3 questions:

- What does the choices do ? are they affecting the storyline ? are i'm missing some extra quests ?

-
There is this old guy near the temple now , am i right to assume this is something i need to do later , since both choices are not moving the story now ?

- is using ai party members , a possible reason i should get less xp ? or should i solo when possible ?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man this game is straight beautifull ..

I haven't played much but it's so damn satisfying ... ( i need to visit the pirate cove , now )

2 questions:

- What does the choices do ? are they affecting the storyline ? are i'm missing some extra quests ?

- There is this old guy near the temple now , am i right to assume this is something i need to do later , since both choices are not moving the story now ?

The choices don't really matter, although they can lead to jokey "bad endings". The old guy is story-related.

Raxus

- is using ai party members , a possible reason i should get less xp ? or should i solo when possible ?

EXP is strictly tied to score, difficulty level, and prayer modifiers (that boost score). So party with 3 level 99 nights or go solo. The exp is all the same in the end.

I love seeing all the different approaches to dealing with the ancient dragons orb missiles.

One dwarf uses belly flop, the other grand slam. It's great. Personally, I do the high trapeze artist move and jump off the high wall and use eagle dive bombs to send them back.

Good times.

Caerith

Playing online or ad-hoc, each player gets their own loot, right? Open a chest and that's one item for everyone-- four players means four items (one each).

Because it has finally occurred to me just how screwed you are in couch co-op.

Online/Ad-Hoc:
- Co-op locked until clearing A paths
- No voice chat.
+ Each character has their progress saved.
+ Each character gets loot and gold.

Couch:
+ Co-op unlocked from the beginning (online is unlocked after clearing A paths).
+ Voice chat
- Only P1 has progress saved.
- All characters must share loot and gold.

The more I think about it, the more I dislike it.

I mean, my girlfriend and I don't have a lot of time together to play games. Like, maybe once a week can we both sit down at the same time to play a game together. If that game is one where we have to slog through the exact same thing except with different colored arrows over our heads... then we probably aren't going to play that game for long.

(Before someone says "You must be new to Vanillaware" or something, I mean the exact same thing. Odin Sphere with different characters/story is different. Starting a different character is different. Replaying the game with the exact same character but now you're P2 and she's P1 is not different.)

It would have been easy to do things differently, too. I know, I know, there's a goose somewhere who'd say "Unless you work at Vanillaware you have literally no idea what you're talking about," but I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen other games handle this better. Local should have been with each character tied to their own PSN account. That's how we do it on LittleBig Planet-- every time we start the game, it asks her to log in, and then bam, there's her character, complete with all the outfits and stuff that she unlocked.

Each character should get their own loot and their own gold. It should go to that account's inventory. When you visit the tavern, the game should pull up the character list from the account that's logged in for that player, and save the progress (in story, exp, loot, and gold) back to them. That's how it's handled in online and ad-hoc, so why not local?

I'm fine with entering stores and accepting quests one by one. It's annoying, there are better ways, but whatever. An easier fix would be to stop the narrator from repeating things (unless you had exited to the title screen or something, like how some games have a "Previously, on..." thing when you resume a game to get you caught up to speed) so at least we don't have to hear everything repeated four times when repairing equipment and turning in quests. But that's trivial compared to the no progress thing.

Unless I win the lottery tonight and can afford to buy a second PS3 and TV and copy of the game so my girlfriend and I can online together while on the same couch, I'm probably done with Dragon's Crown.

No Love

Banned
Playing online or ad-hoc, each player gets their own loot, right? Open a chest and that's one item for everyone-- four players means four items (one each).

Online/Ad-Hoc:
- No voice chat.

Couch:
+ Co-op unlocked from the beginning (online is unlocked after clearing A paths).
+ Voice chat

I mean, my girlfriend and I don't have a lot of time together to play games. Like, maybe once a week can we both sit down at the same time to play a game together. If that game is one where we have to slog through the exact same thing except with different colored arrows over our heads... then we probably aren't going to play that game for long.

(Before someone says "You must be new to Vanillaware" or something, I mean the exact same thing. Odin Sphere with different characters/story is different. Starting a different character is different. Replaying the game with the exact same character but now you're P2 and she's P1 is not different.)

It would have been easy to do things differently, too. I know, I know, there's a goose somewhere who'd say "Unless you work at Vanillaware you have literally no idea what you're talking about," but I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen other games handle this better. Local should have been with each character tied to their own PSN account. That's how we do it on LittleBig Planet-- every time we start the game, it asks her to log in, and then bam, there's her character, complete with all the outfits and stuff that she unlocked.

Each character should get their own loot and their own gold. It should go to that account's inventory. When you visit the tavern, the game should pull up the character list from the account that's logged in for that player, and save the progress (in story, exp, loot, and gold) back to them. That's how it's handled in online and ad-hoc, so why not local?

I'm fine with entering stores and accepting quests one by one. It's annoying, there are better ways, but whatever. An easier fix would be to stop the narrator from repeating things (unless you had exited to the title screen or something, like how some games have a "Previously, on..." thing when you resume a game to get you caught up to speed) so at least we don't have to hear everything repeated four times when repairing equipment and turning in quests. But that's trivial compared to the no progress thing.

Unless I win the lottery tonight and can afford to buy a second PS3 and TV and copy of the game so my girlfriend and I can online together while on the same couch, I'm probably done with Dragon's Crown.

Agreed 100%. They need to issue a patch to fix the couch co-op, it's almost pointless if you think about it.

As a funny aside... you could always get two Vitas and play ad-hoc! Vitas are like $120 on Craigslist and Dragon's Crown is $40... it'd only be like $320! ;)

Giolon

Online/Ad-Hoc:
- No voice chat.

Couch:
+ Voice chat

I actually like that all characters on a save slot share loot and gold. It's been really great for trying out new characters and creating different builds.

I do agree though that it's dumb for local co-op players to not get any story progress saved. Fortunately, you can run through the areas really quick to catch other characters up on the story progress. You can get up to the Path B point in less than 2 hours if you're bee-lining straight for bosses or quest items and quitting out once you obtain your goal.

However, if you and your girlfriend always want to play together, what's the big problem if only 1 character has story credit? The other character will be a little behind on skill points (which can be remedied pretty quickly by blasting out quests w/ that char on lead). Or if you want to play yourself more but not get ahead of her, just make another character? I am not seeing why it's such a big issue.

I also would have really liked to see multiple PSN profiles be able to log in and play co-op on the same machine though like Xbox 360 games are frequently capable of doing.

Edit: Also, the game really is just all about having fun w/ the combat systems and repeating through areas, chaining them together, and running the Labyrinth of Chaos for loot once you beat the main story, so...it's not like you run everything once and then there's nothing left to do. If you swap who's P1 and who's P2 what's the big deal? You're likely going to be grinding through areas multiple times anyway.

Hag

How do I get the legendary strike trophy? Looks like I need to get a wizard lv 90 or something. I just need that trophy to get my platinum

Caerith

You can get up to the Path B point in less than 2 hours if you're bee-lining straight for bosses or quest items and quitting out once you obtain your goal.
Why should we spend 2 hours repeating something that nobody else has to?

You said a lot of "what's the big deal?" in your post that I'm not going to respond to unless you retype everything you said and post it again. Don't copy and paste! Use capital letters for every other "t" to be fair. It's not like you have to think about what to say, so what's the big deal if you have to type it again?

Agreed 100%. They need to issue a patch to fix the couch co-op, it's almost pointless if you think about it.

As a funny aside... you could always get two Vitas and play ad-hoc! Vitas are like $120 on Craigslist and Dragon's Crown is $40... it'd only be like $320! ;)
No offense to Vita users, but if I was going to buy a handheld I'd just get a 3DS because its list of "games I'd actually play" doesn't overlap my list of "games I've played on PS2." And besides, small screen, battery life, etc-- I don't commute nearly enough for a handheld to be worth it.

Giolon

Why should we spend 2 hours repeating something that nobody else has to?

You said a lot of "what's the big deal?" in your post that I'm not going to respond to unless you retype everything you said and post it again. Don't copy and paste! Use capital letters for every other "t" to be fair. It's not like you have to think about what to say, so what's the big deal if you have to type it again?

This is pretty rude. I wrote up a response to you, referred to several of your complaints individually, offered up alternative ways to look at them and the situation, asked for further clarification from you on why you think it's so bad, and you just give a flippant "lol I'm not gonna even." Come on, we're better than that here on GAF.

I've had to repeat the same 2 hours for each character I want to play - even more characters of the same class. I have fun while playing it, hence why I don't see it as a big problem. If your character is over-leveled from playing couch co-op, it'll go even faster. I just think the game is fun enough to play that it outweighs the negative local co-op aspects.

The bigger problem I have with it is that you can't play that early section online. I never said the game's perfect.

Caerith

pbcomic373.png

Confirmed for October 11. OP updated.

Edit: Well, the Prinny Bomb said "for PAL" but also later on only said "for Europe" so, maybe not confirmed for Australia yet?

Sure I'm down! Haven't touched multiplayer so you'll have to walk me through the steps on how to join you.
Awesome. I think the easiest way is be friends on psn. Then once network mode is on, there is an option to play with friends. PSN is BaronVonBeans. I might need to delete a friend or two....I know I'm nearing capacity D;

MooMoo

Awesome. I think the easiest way is be friends on psn. Then once network mode is on, there is an option to play with friends. PSN is BaronVonBeans. I might need to delete a friend or two....I know I'm nearing capacity D;
Totally played a game of Soul Sacrifice with you a looooooooooong time ago so we're already friends :p

Caerith

I work so much less as a Wizard than anyone else. I almost feel guilty.
I feel like I don't quite "get" Sorceress. My girlfriend is constantly doing most of the work as an Amazon, and unless I've using a lightning wand for jump + hold circle I feel like I'm not really pulling my weight.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I feel like I don't quite "get" Sorceress. My girlfriend is constantly doing most of the work as an Amazon, and unless I've using a lightning wand for jump + hold circle I feel like I'm not really pulling my weight.
I spend most of my time in the air chaining fireball/ice shard to the ground through dodges and levitate. When she has a couple enemies in the air I'll do the up fire wall/tornado attack to keep it going.

I'm not a very big fan of the lightning staff anymore.

Caerith

I spend most of my time in the air chaining fireball/ice shard to the ground through dodges and levitate. When she has a couple enemies in the air I'll do the up fire wall/tornado attack to keep it going.

I'm not a very big fan of the lightning staff anymore.

Does the levitate damage boost work any time you're in the air or only when gliding?

How many books do you equip and how do you ration your books out for a stage + boss fight?

Top Bottom