• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Usobuko

Banned
Roughly 2 hrs+ I think. I forgot to use the prayer to increase my score by 1.5 times though, so it could have been a lot faster. It was about 4 round trips, I killed the red dragon 4 times.

I see, thanks for the information. One more question though, do you have like 10 full slot bags so your equipments are sufficient for the whole journey?

Just got to the point of being able to choose path B and the dificulty really seemed to jump and my archer is having some dificulty. Hopefully I can adjust and not have to change characters. Any suggestions that may help?

maomaoIYP

I see, thanks for the information. One more question though, do you have like 10 full slot bags so your equipments are sufficient for the whole journey?

Yes I did. I had 2 fresh bags left at the end of my run, so I could have gone for quite a while more.
Also you don't have to worry too much about your equipment not being top notch enough. Damage for level 99 weapons max out at 255, and the ones I was using at around lvl 80+ were having their max damage at around 220-240.

No Love

Banned
It gets even better when you start to hunger for better loot. Dragon's Crown is the japanese 2d side scrolling version of diabolo 2. I'd love to get a second one with a bigger budget.

Absolutely. The game is extremely addicting and the 'just one more dungeon' factor when chaining dungeons together is immense. I feel really glad that I bought it on both PS3 and Vita: it kicks major ass to sit back and play such an incredible looking game on my giant plasma, but it kicks even more ass to transfer my save to Vita and play ANYWHERE for any amount of time, then come back home, transfer the save again, and go back to playing comfy-couch status.

I wish there were more games that offered both type of experiences by having the versions translate so well both to home-play and mobile play. The game is simply wonderful no matter which platform you play it on.

I would love a sequel on PS4/Vita with even more depth, more levels, more EVERYTHING. At this point I don't think Vanillaware/Atlus will be able to resist making a sequel to this game because it's going to be hugely profitable, and deservedly so.

Is there a way to check how worn down your equipment is while in a dungeon? I don't want anything breaking on me but I can't gauge when it's appropriate to switch to bag 2, 3, and so on.

Also, I read it here a few times that you should always go with the score increase prayer, can anyone tell me why? How exactly does that benefit you?

Lastly, if you die in a dungeon and don't continue, do you still keep the spoils, money, and XP you accumulated before then, or is everything lost?

Stainless

HAHA yes! My first platinum! I've had the ps3 since MGS4 was launched and this is the first game where I actually have platinum!

Congrats! That's awesome! I got really close with Jak and Daxter, but no plats for me

I don't know why it took this game so long to "click" for me. To be completely honest, I wasn't really enjoying myself very much right up to the point where you have to start looking for the talismans. But right at that point, something clicked and I started loving it. Now I have to force myself to put it down when I need to do something else. :lol

I enjoyed it, but now that I have to go for the talismans, I've finally started getting enough loot to fill out more than 1 bag, so I can run the dungeons more. Kind of starting to click for me, also. I got 2 talismans.
Killer bunny fucked me up with a green tornado. I'm still only L21. I still have 5 quests to do plus one I can't accept yet. I can't find the clues on the elliot, and the hellhounds don't seem to hit me even if I'm on a mount. I did kill a couple owlbears so I am making some progress

Sanctuary

That honestly sounds crazy. I would never have imagined that 2D sprites limited to a single screen could require enough resources to slow down a machine like a PS3 when it's capable of games like Motorstorm Apocalypse and Killzone 3 and others without those issues.

Saturn vs PSX.

HAHA yes! My first platinum! I've had the ps3 since MGS4 was launched and this is the first game where I actually have platinum!

Probably going to be the first game I platinum as well in a very long time. I probably put 500 hours into Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, but I never actually cared to chase the trophies on those.

maomaoIYP

Is there a way to check how worn down your equipment is while in a dungeon? I don't want anything breaking on me but I can't gauge when it's appropriate to switch to bag 2, 3, and so on.

Also, I read it here a few times that you should always go with the score increase prayer, can anyone tell me why? How exactly does that benefit you?

Lastly, if you die in a dungeon and don't continue, do you still keep the spoils, money, and XP you accumulated before then, or is everything lost?
Press left or right on the d-pad to cycle through your inventory and see their status.
On harder difficulties score gives a very high exp bonus. On infernal it's double of your score, while on normal it's only a measly 10%.
You keep them.

Congrats! That's awesome! I got really close with Jak and Daxter, but no plats for me
Thanks! Gonna try to max out my other characters now!

Press left or right on the d-pad to cycle through your inventory and see their status.
On harder difficulties score gives a very high exp bonus. On infernal it's double of your score, while on normal it's only a measly 10%.
You keep them.

Thanks! Gonna try to max out my other characters now!

thanks for the answers! room for 1 more? what happens if your equipment does break during use, I assume it's dead for the rest of the dungeon but is it dead forever? can Morgan fix it in town still?

Saturn vs PSX.

Probably going to be the first game I platinum as well in a very long time. I probably put 500 hours into Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, but I never actually cared to chase the trophies on those.
Saturn with ram expansion was a 2d beast. Well that's probably because it was designed to be one. 3D stuff added later because of the ps1.

Sanctuary

You keep them.

It's 110%, 125% and 150% isn't it? Or are you talking about the dungeon bonuses and not the prayer?

Saturn with ram expansion was a 2d beast. Well that's probably because it was designed to be one. 3D stuff added later because of the ps1.

The Saturn was the Capcom fighting game machine, but boy did it's 3D water effects suck ass.

maomaoIYP

thanks for the answers! room for 1 more? what happens if your equipment does break during use, I assume it's dead for the rest of the dungeon but is it dead forever? can Morgan fix it in town still?
Morgan can fix it. Once it breaks you can still use it to fight, but I think you lose about 50% damage.

It's 110%, 125% and 150% isn't it? Or are you talking about the dungeon bonuses and not the prayer?
I was talking about conversion of score to exp on different difficulties.

Sanctuary

Morgan can fix it. Once it breaks you can still use it to fight, but I think you lose about 50% damage.

Well they did ask about the prayer. The dungeon modifiers happen regardless of what prayer you pick.
Regardless, for every character after your first (or once you hit Infernal with your first), the player score prayer is the only one to pick.

Here's a tip for slightly more quick leveling of alts. I haven't tested it myself but I read it on another forum:

If you do the 1.5x multiplier prayer with your character in Infernal and then switch to a character that's still on a lower difficulty, apparently the 1.5x prayer stays active.

In other news:

I'm fucking weak. In 30 minutes when Gamestop opens, I'm going to go buy the Vita copy as well so that I can take my ps3 save with me.

After I finish the game and start hard, can you not do multiplayer at all on hard until you get to the talismans, like in normal? Or does multiplay stay open for the hard difficulties?

Wanny

I have a hard time connecting to random people in online. Is it like that for everyone? Guess I need to find friends...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
After I finish the game and start hard, can you not do multiplayer at all on hard until you get to the talismans, like in normal? Or does multiplay stay open for the hard difficulties?
It stays open. The new difficulties aren't really a new game plus, but a continuation of the 'story' at a higher difficulty.

thanks again, you rock

actually, "hard mode" starts you right off at the talismans.

so I noticed that AI players have an H next to their player HUD and actual human players have nothing there. what the heck does that H stand for? you would think it means human...

Fistwell

I have a hard time connecting to random people in online. Is it like that for everyone? Guess I need to find friends...
Same here. It got a little better in the last cple of days (was able to actually play with a few people), but in the vast majority of cases my attempts to connect to a random room just sit there with the "connecting" message for a while, then give me the ol' "connection failed" middle finger.

I haven't had any problems connecting to random rooms. I get an occasional "waiting for other players" during room transitions, I also get occasional lag where I bodyslam a dude and the explosion doesn't happen until a few seconds later, but I'm able to connect to randoms 100% of the time including last night.

Sanctuary

Here's a tip for slightly more quick leveling of alts. I haven't tested it myself but I read it on another forum:

If you do the 1.5x multiplier prayer with your character in Infernal and then switch to a character that's still on a lower difficulty, apparently the 1.5x prayer stays active.

Heh, I was just about to post this. I just recently found out about this too.

Also, why is it so impossibly hard to find Infernal games online? It kind of sucks that you are level 70+ and you keep getting sent to Normal (usually) and Hard games. When I host my own, nobody ever shows up, so I get bored after an hour and just join a random.

Also, why is it so impossibly hard to find Infernal games online? It kind of sucks that you are level 70+ and you keep getting sent to Normal (usually) and Hard games. When I host my own, nobody ever shows up, so I get bored after an hour and just join a random.

Huh, I didn't know you could get sent to lower difficulty games if you pick join random.

Any way, I usually don't have issues finding people on Infernal as long as I'm playing at a decent hour. Now last night, I was doing some Labyrinth at 4 AM (GMT-6) and I was stuck with npcs until I got tired and quit.

No Love

Banned

In other news:

I'm fucking weak. In 30 minutes when Gamestop opens, I'm going to go buy the Vita copy as well so that I can take my ps3 save with me.

Awesome, thanks for the tip.

you probably need to wait for the majority of the crowd to catch up to you, the game is only 1 week old in NA. my 2 irl friends playing it haven't even unlocked multi yet. so what happens when you get bumped down to a normal or hard room? does the game nerf you back to the appropriate max level? do you still get xp and level up?

Sanctuary

Huh, I didn't know you could get sent to lower difficulty games if you pick join random.

Any way, I usually don't have issues finding people on Infernal as long as I'm playing at a decent hour. Now last night, I was doing some Labyrinth at 4 AM (GMT-6) and I was stuck with npcs until I got tired and quit.

The games that I was joining were definitely not Infernal difficulty, things were dying way too fast with a Sorc, Sorc, Wiz, Elf group. I also gained six talismans, yet after exiting the games had none, so it couldn't have been Infernal (where I only had one prior to going online).

you probably need to wait for the majority of the crowd to catch up to you, the game is only 1 week old in NA. my 2 irl friends playing it haven't even unlocked multi yet. so what happens when you get bumped down to a normal or hard room? does the game nerf you back to the appropriate max level? do you still get xp and level up?

You don't get anywhere near the same experience (or gold) if your main purpose was to grind some levels. You still get gear that's your level, although I have no idea at all if difficulty affects what mods actually show up. It's also way too easy.

The games that I was joining were definitely not Infernal difficulty, things were dying way too fast with a Sorc, Sorc, Wiz, Elf group. I also gained six talismans, yet after exiting the games had none, so it couldn't have been Infernal (where I only had one prior to going online).

Gotcha, good to know. Definitely going to only host from now on.

Harlock

Started playing. My first resurrected companion is the same character that I use, what confuses a hell lot in combats. I tend to let her die soon...

Talking about dead, when you die more than 3 times in a mission the only penalty is the cost in gold?

maomaoIYP

You still get gear that's your level, although I have no idea at all if difficulty affects what mods actually show up. It's also way too easy.

Gear on lower difficulties give really crap mods. I went to kill the last boss on normal for the trophy with my lvl 99. The S class items were level 99 alright, but the mods were rubbish stuff like int+7, hp+9 etc.

samalpha

Banned
I was pretty disappointed in the game, at first, due to it's easy difficulty.

Well, after beating the game, and having a save file starting on Hard Mode, I decided to try to solo Normal with the Amazon. I just thought "well, just about any beat 'em up would be easy with 4 players".

Now we're talking! I have to use tactics, rather than just spamming square....I'm in danger quite often...and there's just a lot of tension all around.

I don't know what it's going to be like on B path, but this is much more like it!

There's no way I could do this on Hard, but this makes Normal pretty darn good now.

KLonso

Does anyone know how the trophy activates for beating the game with each character type? Is it necessary to start a new save file for each character?

Sanctuary

Gear on lower difficulties give really crap mods. I went to kill the last boss on normal for the trophy with my lvl 99. The S class items were level 99 alright, but the mods were rubbish stuff like int+7, hp+9 etc.

Well that answers my question regarding farming higher level LoC areas on lower difficulties after you've unlocked them. Totally not worth it if you're trying to find crazy gear.

I don't know if it's because I suck or something, but my dwarf is having a lot of trouble with Gazer/Warlock and any aerial boss in general.

So long as I've got a boulder to throw around I'm good.

Also the dwarf's power attack has quite a bit of vertical reach.

QP3

I don't know if it's because I suck or something, but my dwarf is having a lot of trouble with Gazer/Warlock and any aerial boss in general.

I had trouble with Gazer too.

Anything in the air, I usually get below it and the Grand Smash, weapon swap, grand smash, and then dodge.

Grisby

Beat the game.
That red dragon boss gave me more trouble than the ancient dragon.
Fun times and I clocked in at about 20 hours with the Elf. Got some questions though GAF

1) Can I switch the difficulty back down to normal and still do all of the new side quests that opened up? I take it my levels will remain locked but I'll still earn xp right?

2) On that last note I suppose hard difficulty grants you more XP?

3)If I start a new character from the tavern selection does it start the whole story over again?

maomaoIYP

Beat the game.
That red dragon boss gave me more trouble than the ancient dragon.
Fun times and I clocked in at about 20 hours with the Elf. Got some questions though GAF

1) Can I switch the difficulty back down to normal and still do all of the new side quests that opened up? I take it my levels will remain locked but I'll still earn xp right?

2) On that last note I suppose hard difficulty grants you more XP?

3)If I start a new character from the tavern selection does it start the whole story over again?
1) Yes, yes and yes.
2) Yes.
3) Yes.

Joined an online game but the other 3 were still AI characters. wtf

They probably quit the adventure to go back to town and change quests, repair gear, etc. Really wish there was an option to continue an adventure but change active quests. I feel bad sometimes for choosing "Continue" after completing a quest just to do the cooking game, then quit after I am connected to the next zone. Then those dudes are stuck with my AI bot doing not-dmg for the length of their adventure...

Been taking my first steps into chaining adventures together online.

I have two bags of gear, with some semi-specialized goodies in each. But I'm paranoid about breaking items so I'm only doing one adventure or two, tops, per bag before heading back to town. In general how many missions should I be able to chain together on normal before I worry about my stuff breaking? I couldn't see a way to check durability on the bag selection screen. Are people just playing it by ear or is there a good way to check?

Also, got my first taste of the cooking mini-game. It's fucking hilarious nom-nom action.

So guys and gals

I'm in a routine right now but feel like I'm missing out here. I'm playing on hard and am essentially just running through the staged with online folks looking for talismen and, when I can, getting a quest or two done.

Do I need to pause and do labyrinth? Would I find any useful loot there to help with main quest?

Also a quest question: one of the quests has me looking for a lady on shallow water in the pirate cove stage? Where is this?

Are you referring to
the sea god or whatever
? If so, you have to
lose to the Kraken on purpose (The part where he has his tentacles wrapped around the cave pillars)
to get access to the area where you find "her". Right by the exit.

No Love

Banned
Been taking my first steps into chaining adventures together online.

I have two bags of gear, with some semi-specialized goodies in each. But I'm paranoid about breaking items so I'm only doing one adventure or two, tops, per bag before heading back to town. In general how many missions should I be able to chain together on normal before I worry about my stuff breaking? I couldn't see a way to check durability on the bag selection screen. Are people just playing it by ear or is there a good way to check?

Also, got my first taste of the cooking mini-game. It's fucking hilarious nom-nom action.

Just check the endurance at the start of each run. With two bags you can easily do 5-7 dungeons without worrying about breaking stuff. You could probably do 10 before really having to go back.

Also, a 3rd bag is only 2000 gold...

Top Bottom