• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

I spend most of my time in the air chaining fireball/ice shard to the ground through dodges and levitate. When she has a couple enemies in the air I'll do the up fire wall/tornado attack to keep it going.

I'm not a very big fan of the lightning staff anymore.
The lightning staff is all about the d+O input.

I feel like I don't quite "get" Sorceress. My girlfriend is constantly doing most of the work as an Amazon, and unless I've using a lightning wand for jump + hold circle I feel like I'm not really pulling my weight.

That protection helps a lot. If she's been hunting with you the whole time, she'll feel the pain when she goes solo without that Protection spell.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Does the levitate damage boost work any time you're in the air or only when gliding?

How many books do you equip and how do you ration your books out for a stage + boss fight?
Any time you're in the air, so it's a great damage boost.

I always bring Protection, Create Food, Blizzard and Rock Crusher. I try to use everything (except Create Food) pretty sparingly on regular enemies unless there's a huge spawn after a chest or during a boss fight. Blizzard is great to help you focus down a boss in its final stages when you're being overtaken by its summons. Keep Protection up as often as needed so the melee class don't get tossed around.

I kind of want to use Curse at some point because I like frogs.

MooMoo

Looooool yoshi! These different Gaf names from PSN names cornfuse me sometimes XD

My humblest apologies tho! I'll be good to go in just a few minutes!
Yeah, sucks that there's no way to change your PSN name (dammit Sony lemme give you money!) and I had a PSP way before I knew GAF existed :p Anyways, ready whenever you are bro!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I feel like I don't quite "get" Sorceress. My girlfriend is constantly doing most of the work as an Amazon, and unless I've using a lightning wand for jump + hold circle I feel like I'm not really pulling my weight.

Really? Im clearing out everything. With timely charges i honestly seem to be killing an exponential amount of enemies incredibly easily. Nothing really hits me cause i just teleport..and i usually get the most points in most games resulting in me getting extra lives moreso than other classes.

Yeah, sucks that there's no way to change your PSN name (dammit Sony lemme give you money!) and I had a PSP way before I knew GAF existed :p Anyways, ready whenever you are bro!
Yea, that would be a cool feature. Unknowns ton of peeps that'd use it. Game is up and running! Just choose the play with friends option, hopefully you'll join right up. I haven't yet done a friends match yet, so it's learning for both of us.

6 hours in getting class A and B items, what do I have to do to get class S items?

the thing is you get new equipment so often that by the time you get a good S rank weapon, a dungeon or two later you're already replacing it. Still shocks me when a B or even C rank piece replaces an S

Did some sidequests tonight, the thing is with no voice chat, online players don't know (or care) that I'm going for them. Got 2/3 on the genie lamp before someone finished the boss, dang it! I quit and selected the Cove from the stables immediately after

Really? Im clearing out everything. With timely charges i honestly seem to be killing an exponential amount of enemies incredibly easily. Nothing really hits me cause i just teleport..and i usually get the most points in most games resulting in me getting extra lives moreso than other classes.
What spells do you use?

Grisby

Having three elves on screen is madness. Madness I tell you.

Everyone's flipping all willy-nilly and being tree ninjas.

JokerAceX

I actually like that all characters on a save slot share loot and gold. It's been really great for trying out new characters and creating different builds.

I do agree though that it's dumb for local co-op players to not get any story progress saved. Fortunately, you can run through the areas really quick to catch other characters up on the story progress. You can get up to the Path B point in less than 2 hours if you're bee-lining straight for bosses or quest items and quitting out once you obtain your goal.

However, if you and your girlfriend always want to play together, what's the big problem if only 1 character has story credit? The other character will be a little behind on skill points (which can be remedied pretty quickly by blasting out quests w/ that char on lead). Or if you want to play yourself more but not get ahead of her, just make another character? I am not seeing why it's such a big issue.

I also would have really liked to see multiple PSN profiles be able to log in and play co-op on the same machine though like Xbox 360 games are frequently capable of doing.

Edit: Also, the game really is just all about having fun w/ the combat systems and repeating through areas, chaining them together, and running the Labyrinth of Chaos for loot once you beat the main story, so...it's not like you run everything once and then there's nothing left to do. If you swap who's P1 and who's P2 what's the big deal? You're likely going to be grinding through areas multiple times anyway.

i think the main issue with him and his g/f playing is that once they want to play together on hard/infernal mode they essentially have to play the twice for each character to get the proper story unlocks and what not this is something that needs to be address by vanillaware.

CaLe

This has probably been answered a million times, but here goes: is the game worth it on Vita ? Debating on whether to get it on my handled or PS3.

How much of an issue is the screen estate ?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This has probably been answered a million times, but here goes: is the game worth it on Vita ? Debating on whether to get it on my handled or PS3.

I honestly feel like once things get chaotic the screen is too small unless you are playing with it close to you

MrBS

Still having lots of fun with this. I was wondering when the Vanillaware back tracking was going to come into play but then along came the back end of the game. The chaining system for better xp & loot is just lovely.

The screen size is the only immediate issue that I can think of. It is not the most ideal for the amount of detail and chaos that happens in-game, but its playable if you hold the vita really close. I have read some people that it possibly has more framerate problems than the PS3 version but i'm not sure. I've done most play on the PS3 version.

That being said, a lot of things are much easier on the Vita version. You can just tap the screen to open chests, unlock doors, and find items instead of awkwardly guiding the pointer around. If you play ad hoc with bros, I assume you don't have to take turns fixing your equipment, accepting quests, applying skills, etc.

No Love

Banned

It's awesome, ignore the haters. I've done 90% of my time on the Vita, and 10% on the PS3. The Vita version is GREAT, and awesome for solo'ing/learning the game. Multiplayer on it works great too. You won't be disappointed.

Also, big plus to Vita: You can PAUSE at any time by suspending or hitting the PS Vita button. You cannot pause in the PS3 version, which sucks. :\ Hence why Vita version kicks ass... makes the game totally pick up and play.

Deitus

Anyone else have the game hard lock on them on the PS3?

I have, when I got a hacked item in my inventory after burying some bones.

Which reminds me, I figured out a way to safely get rid of a hacked player's bones without risking a crash (since most of you probably have no idea what I'm talking about, see this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=75866003&postcount=4409).

Obviously you should save before attempting this, and NEVER save if you have a hacked item already in your inventory. Basically, you can change the equipped bag of the bones before you bury them. This means that if you were guaranteed a drop of a hacked item, changing the bag means a completely separate chance of even getting an item, and a separate set of items to have a chance of dropping. So if you had a set of bones that dropped a hacked item after every file reload, you can change to a bag that has no hacked items. If for some reason every single bag has hacked items, just switch to any other bag, and chances are you won't get a drop at all.

If you happen to get a hacked item drop, DO NOT access your inventory, just quit out of the game and reload your file immediately.

Obviously they still need to patch this somehow to get rid of this problem altogether. And if you happen to save with a hacked item in your inventory you are probably screwed at the moment. But at least there is something of a fix for my specific situation. If anyone else runs into this issue, at least there is an option to resolve it.

Giolon

i think the main issue with him and his g/f playing is that once they want to play together on hard/infernal mode they essentially have to play the twice for each character to get the proper story unlocks and what not this is something that needs to be address by vanillaware.

Out of all the time it's going to take to get to the end of Infernal Mode, the handful of extra runs through areas to "catch up" the other character is going to be miniscule. You can't just run through each area once and expect to be at the recommended level for each of the bosses beyond normal mode (you can still beat them though even if at a net-loss of gold). The core gameplay of this game is running the areas repeatedly for loot and XP. I've been doing it for 40 hours and my Amazon is level 57 (and I did spend 2-3 hours running quests level capped @ 35 in Normal b/c the game told me I could continue to earn XP...what they didn't mention was I had to beat the final boss first to do so...). What're a few extra catch up runs really among all that?

Also, even online only the "hosting" character that kills the Ancient Dragon gets story credit. Instead of saying, "aww man, now I have to kill him 1 time for each of my friends," I think, "Sweet, it only used up the hosting player's runes so I get to kill him a bunch of extra times with my friends and get guaranteed S-rank loot!"

Obviously, different strokes for different folks, but if you're enjoying the core gameplay, and you're going to be playing dozens and dozens of hours to get through it all to the end of Inferno anyway, why are a couple extra runs here or there such a deal breaker? Just because of the principle that they should've implemented it better (which I do agree they should have done)?

I have it on both, and while I prefer to play on the PS3 for the bigger screen, I've played quite a bit on Vita and it's perfectly fine. The screen pointing controls are better on Vita - you just touch. Personally, I'd say get both for the best of both worlds - play at home on the big screen, and Vita on the go or when you're too lazy to get out of bed! You really can't go wrong with either though IMO.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Amazon ending.

...Wait.... what?

No. I refuse. That's... not possible.

Ooccoo

I think I'm fucked? Buried bones and got an OP item with like 6*25% dmg. Easily killed Inferno Dragon doing 10k+ dmg, but the game saved so it might corrupt my file? I didn't think it was a hacked item at first, but it's so ridiculously powerful that it has to be.

Giolon

The whole hacked character's bones thing is really depressing. I ended up w/ TESSA and the game kept giving me a ring when I buried her. Fortunately, I ended up being able to sell that ring w/o crashing, but the sheer fact that people would hack their characters and it would have the possibility to fuck up someone else's game is absolutely terrible. I really hope Vanillaware can patch it. There's already been a patch for Japan addressing a few issues, but I don't know if this was among them. It wasn't in their patch notes that I saw translated.

Amazon ending.

...Wait.... what?

No. I refuse. That's... not possible.

Is this the whole Amazon is male thing? You should re-read that ending to make sure you fully understand it. lol

SPOILERS obviously: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBO2UVqugRg

How I read it:
the Amazon is the surviving daughter of the couple's son, who died in a foreign land when his caravan was attacked by orcs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The whole hacked character's bones thing is really depressing. I ended up w/ TESSA and the game kept giving me a ring when I buried her. Fortunately, I ended up being able to sell that ring w/o crashing, but the sheer fact that people would hack their characters and it would have the possibility to fuck up someone else's game is absolutely terrible. I really hope Vanillaware can patch it. There's already been a patch for Japan addressing a few issues, but I don't know if this was among them. It wasn't in their patch notes that I saw translated.

SPOILERS obviously: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBO2UVqugRg

How I read it:
the Amazon is the surviving daughter of the couple's son, who died in a foreign land when his caravan was attacked by orcs.
lol, Tessa must get around because I got her as well. Haven't had any problems though.

As for the Amazon, yes she
is the nobles' granddaughter.

Ferrio

Banned
So is there any reason to fight the statue without animating your statue? Was in an online game and host just hauled ass past the statue like he didn't want anyone to raise it. Had to beat the thing with our puny weapons.

So is there any reason to fight the statue without animating your statue? Was in an online game and host just hauled ass past the statue like he didn't want anyone to raise it. Had to beat the thing with our puny weapons.

There's a quest for doing it without the golem.

Dropping bombs on it isn't actually that bad.

There's a quest that requires you to beat it w/o using the golem/activating runes. Using bombs that the goblins drop deals a lot of damage to the golem boss btw.

edit - I'm always beaten :p

Ferrio

Banned
Wish they had training dummies, I'd like to test out damage and stuff.

edit: wow just realized I can equip two weapons. Now I can not be weaponless when I brutal drive.

The attention to detail in this game is unbelievable. Like in the cave areas how drops of water are falling into a puddle of barrel. Awesome, awesome stuff!

You can tell VanillaWare had so much passion and love in making this game. Made by only 12 people, crazy!

mr2xxx

Banned
I'm at the talisman part and I'm wondering how do you get them? I fought two higher level bosses but beat them with the help of the additional army guys and got no talisman. Is it time based or based on certain amount of deaths before I win but get no talisman?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at the talisman part and I'm wondering how do you get them? I fought two higher level bosses but beat them with the help of the additional army guys and got no talisman. Is it time based or based on certain amount of deaths before I win but get no talisman?
You need to beat it without the knights. When they appear it means you ran out of time.

Similar events will happen for every B route boss if you take too long.

Ultimadrago

Time-based. You must defeat B-route bosses under a certain amount of time in order to gain the talisman. After the time limit, the control over the battle will be taken from you.

Giolon

Most (all?) of the B-path bosses have a time limit for beating them to get the talisman. Some have a hard failure state and some have a fail, but you still "won" ending and still get no talisman.

joe2187

Banned

All talismans are obtained when beating the B route bosses. All bosses however do have certain time limits. You have a set amount of time before the game itself intervenes and kills the boss or the boss gets away.

Ultimadrago

Most (all?) of the B-path bosses have a time limit for beating them to get the talisman. Some have a hard failure state and some have a fail, but you still "won" ending.

It's most. If the
Red Dragon
is fought within
the treasure room
I don't believe there's a time limit. However, that's the exception rather than the rule.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Grimløck;76471247 said:
Teach me to Elf. She's too squishy and lacks damage. What skills should I prioritize? Should I bother using my kick combo?
She has the best DPS after Amazon. Go for all the arrow bonuses for maximum damage!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY GAME PLAY-ASIA

Thanks, Drago. It's been a few days and I haven't seen a red response to that thread, so I don't know. I know it'd take some time to address, since they'd have to patch it in the JP version and in the US version, but I'm not even sure if this is the best way to communicate these issues with Atlus.

I don't speak a word of Spanish but I know lucre. It shares roots with "lucrative."

"Filthy lucre" has been in use in the English language for centuries, mostly by rogues and ruffians but in the last century it's been used by and about capitalists. The phrase persists not because of any Spanish meaning but because lucre is a Latin word and "filthy lucre" itself is right out of the King James version of the Bible. That's not to say that rogues, ruffians, and capitalists are religious-- the former, at least, enjoy a sense of style and irony.

Awesome explanation, thanks! The more you know. I googled "lucre" and got the general gist of it, but your explanation is perfect. It fits Rainie like a glove, so half-sardonic. :D

And yeah, perhaps my initial wording was confusing, it's me who is Spanish. Not helped by the fact that, indeed, the word comes from latin (which Spanish is derived from); we have similar words, including "lucro", which pretty much means "profit" (often used in "sin ánimo de lucro", which just means "non-profit"). ,
Should I take that as a sign that my written English is good enough to pass for a native now? :) (if only my spoken English was nearly on that level...).

Also, damn, I hope your ban is a short one. :(

Still, I love when Rannie says "filthy lucre". It fits well with the character and the setting, and he just sounds so excited as he exclaims it. It's one of the few times where a character will continue to say the same thing repeatedly and I still smile every time.

Yeah, ever since I "got" it, it's just so awesome and in-character. :D

I was juggling several threads and at first I though this was an actual, original, unrelated game, and my first instinct was "I need this game". It's still awesome, and I'd buy that version in a heartbeat. I'm a sucker for pixel art.

I'm still in the middle of Normal, but I killed all the female vampires with ease, using a lightning wand, with square x5, then up + circle. The square hits refill almost all of the mana you use with up + circle, and the entire thing stunlocks them in a combo. it's also pretty useful for other enemies. I think the magic users are intended to be most effective up close, unintuitively enough, by mixing square and circle attacks. It's much faster than holding square.

I have, when I got a hacked item in my inventory after burying some bones.

Which reminds me, I figured out a way to safely get rid of a hacked player's bones without risking a crash (since most of you probably have no idea what I'm talking about, see this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=75866003&postcount=4409).

Obviously you should save before attempting this, and NEVER save if you have a hacked item already in your inventory. Basically, you can change the equipped bag of the bones before you bury them. This means that if you were guaranteed a drop of a hacked item, changing the bag means a completely separate chance of even getting an item, and a separate set of items to have a chance of dropping. So if you had a set of bones that dropped a hacked item after every file reload, you can change to a bag that has no hacked items. If for some reason every single bag has hacked items, just switch to any other bag, and chances are you won't get a drop at all.

If you happen to get a hacked item drop, DO NOT access your inventory, just quit out of the game and reload your file immediately.

Obviously they still need to patch this somehow to get rid of this problem altogether. And if you happen to save with a hacked item in your inventory you are probably screwed at the moment. But at least there is something of a fix for my specific situation. If anyone else runs into this issue, at least there is an option to resolve it.

OK, this is awesome. This needs to be added to the OP as soon as possible. Thanks a lot for the tip! Now I won't be paranoid to pick up bones online. :)

I'd also want to add that the "upload to server" function might also work as a safer backup in case something goes horribly wrong. I'm assuming this function is available to everyone, not justPS+ subscribers (I got myself a 3-month subscription recently) since it's the only way to get your save data from PS3 to Vita, right?

Top Bottom